• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another dumbass cop: Pepper Sprays and Tasers a man having a stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not fighting for anything. I'm strictly talking about this article. I already said what the cop did was wrong. That's the first thing I said in my first post in this thread. I also only mentioned what the driver did wasn't right either. But I guess I was wrong for doing that. You guys only want to read the things you don't agree with. I'm out of this thread.

"He was no angel," "both sides are bad," and "I said something wholly ridiculous, lemme bail out before I take the heat!" Aren't you original.

I'm going to steal from Quinn Mallory for a bit and take you on a slide to an alternate reality. We are now in another reality and David Washington has just had a medical emergency that resulted in an accident. The police have arrived and have cussed him out, tried (and failed) to tase him, and have practically baptized him in pepper spray before throwing his unresponsive body to the ground and allowing his own car to run over his foot. The only difference in this reality is that his license is not revoked!

Or basically everything you're saying doesn't mean shit because the horrific turn of events were completely unrelated to the status of his license and focusing on that is basically another version of, "that thug had it coming." You can swear up and down that what the police did was wrong but if you have to follow that up in any shape or form with "[victim] shouldn't have done [unrelated thing]" then you are victim blaming and weaving a false narrative.

I've been lurking long enough to know how these threads play out.

Derwind

So you guys are saying that it's okay for someone to drive a car with a revoked drivers license? Okay, cool.

And yes, it does changes everything. If he wasn't driving, there wouldn't be a hit and run and the cops wouldn't be called, but the ambulance instead, if he was walking on the streets and got a stroke. He was feeling sick for days and yet decided to drive, coupled that with a revoked license, he's not only a danger to himself, but also to other people on the roads and streets (revoked license, driving in wrong direction hit and run).

Hahaha..

Why does any of this make a difference in the action taken by the officer in regards to interacting with the public specifically that are several shades darker?

Don't worry, I'll answer that for you, it doesn't.

Had the cop not been a complete jackass, guess what? The victim wouldn't be a victim of police brutality.

So I have to ask, do you think all of what you just said justifies the actions taken by the officer in question?

That's not really how it works though is it? It isn't up to the police to determine guilt, that's up to courts.

If I'm a cop and and I charge you with resisting even though you didn't resist how are you ot hving to prove innocence when you go to court? What about the thousands of dollars in bond you'll have to make based upon what I charged you with?

gogogow

Hahaha..

Why does any of this make a difference in the action taken by the officer in regards to interacting with the public specifically that are several shades darker?

Don't worry, I'll answer that for you, it doesn't.

Had the cop not been a complete jackass, guess what? The victim wouldn't be a victim of police brutality.

So I have to ask, do you think all of what you just said justifies the actions taken by the officer in question?

From my last post which I edited to make clear how I think about this piece of news:

Edit: Let me make this clear: I'm NOT justifying what the cop did to the driver, if you think that's what I was doing. I already said what the cop did was wrong. He should've assessed the situation better and called the ambulance instead of using excessive force which wasn't necessary.

Yeah, I was wrong talking about the revoked license. At the time it wouldn't matter at all, since the cop didn't know whether he had one or not. They only found out afterwards. And having or not having one isn't grounds for using excessive force.

If I'm a cop and and I charge you with resisting even though you didn't resist how are you ot hving to prove innocence when you go to court? What about the thousands of dollars in bond you'll have to make based upon what I charged you with?

What about it? You said that "innocent before proven guilty isn't a thing any more" and I'm saying that it's not cops that decide that. By necessity, the decision on guilt and innocence *has* to come after a cop charges someone. That's the case whether they get found innocent or guilty in court.

Disgusting. US police say that they're highly trained and procedural, but they must not use most of it due to their power abuse mentality.

What about it? You said that "innocent before proven guilty isn't a thing any more" and I'm saying that it's not cops that decide that. By necessity, the decision on guilt and innocence *has* to come after a cop charges someone. That's the case whether they get found innocent or guilty in court.

If that were the case you could go to court and say nothing and bogus charges would not be upheld. et the reality is that is not the case.

Jesus fucking christ America, get your cops under fucking control what the flying fuck. Why would you approach a non responsive person who's been in an accident with guns drawn. What the flying fuck? One of the cops was yelling get out of the car motherfucker or I'm going to smoke you? For real? What kind of shit is this.

Scoot2005

Banned
Jesus. These cops didn't even try to assess the situation. I'm not medically trained in any professional manner but I can see signs of a stroke/heart attack just by looking. All you have to do is read a fucking pamphlet at any doctors office to have the proper knowledge to recognize the symptoms. You can even tell he was trying to raise his left hand multiple times. He was barely moving and couldn't raise his right arm.

Ovid

So...what are we up to now?

can't walk while black
can't look in the general direction of a cop while black
can't drive slowly while black
can't breathe while black
can't make any movements of any kind while black
can't have a life threatening medical emergency while black
Car backfiring while black.

jay

This is probably a huge over simplification, but more and more, in addition to institutional and societal racism, the mentality of authority over others corrupting people, the blue wall of silence, and so on, I am beginning to think the core issue at play here is simply that cops are cowards.

Holy shit! Poor dude... Was that the whole can of spray? Christ, what's wrong with these people? Shoot first, ask questions later.
Getting that treatment while having a stroke, bloody hell...

Frog-fu

Banned
It's pretty fucked up my first thought was "at least he didn't get shot and killed." Like getting sprayed with pepper spray and tasered isn't fucked up to begin with. I'd love to visit the US of A one day, but these stories are genuinely terrifying. The UK is far from perfect but it's still better.

It's unacceptable. Whoever tries to tell you that this (genocidal tendancy of our police-force) is part of a necessary evil... because of the way things are ...needs a long sit-down

entremet

Jesus fucking christ America, get your cops under fucking control what the flying fuck. Why would you approach a non responsive person who's been in an accident with guns drawn. What the flying fuck? One of the cops was yelling get out of the car motherfucker or I'm going to smoke you? For real? What kind of shit is this.

The issue is that America is massive.

Most police forces are trained by municipalities, not the federal government, or even the States.

We also get a good amount of our cadets from former military, who may have untreated PSTD and so on. Police work and military work are very different.

It's not a good recipe.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The incompetence on display here is staggering. This is truly how much some Americans just don't value our lives. Couldn't even take the time to asses the situation. Just right from the jump, "this thug is clearly resisting".

jusufin

I hope the guy ends up taking legal action against the police department. The incompetence of these officers is fucking ridiculous, hopefully they all lose their jobs for this.

If that were the case you could go to court and say nothing and bogus charges would not be upheld. et the reality is that is not the case.

I really don't understand what you're saying. All I took issue with is your comment about "innocent until proven guilty", because that's a stage after the police involvement.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"Hey, if this black person would have only followed the law like he should, the cops wouldn't have done anything to him and he wouldn't have been beaten/tasered/pepper sprayed/choked/shot/killed. Not that I'm justifying the actions of the cops. Just saying."

There is always one.

zeemumu

Kinda sad that cops have a more loose moral code than the Predator. At least the Predator won't attack you if you have medical problems/are unarmed.

royalan

I couldn't even finish watching the first body cam.

Barbaric. Just completely barbaric.

You didn't need to look at the man for 5 seconds to see that something was clearly wrong with him. But those cops were so insistent on acting like power-tripping assholes they didn't even see it.

Absolutely embarrassing and unconscionable.

EGM1966

Does it every occur to these cops that it might legit just be someone having a medical emergency? Guess not. Poor fucker.

That cop is obviously overreacting, but that guy shouldn't be on the road at all, since his drivers license was revoked. The OP doesn't tell the whole story:

That doesn't matter, as a police officer you're expected to deal with situations like this. You can't say "well the guy shouldn't have done X" when the story is how police responded to "X" if a cop open fired on a dude for pissing on a tree would you really say "this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't pissed on that tree."

What the person did is irrelevant in these cases, because cops are supposed to respond appropriately in these situations, and they definitely did not respond appropriately.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I literally didn't have to click to know the person having a medical emergency would be black. It was a fucking given.

It's 100% irrelevant to the situation.

Why couldn't the situation be "knowingly sick man with revoked license and alcohol in the car crashes outside an elementary school"? That an aggressive enough title?

Why are we only allowed to talk about the officer? Can't they both be equally unfortunate situations without implying that one lead to the other?

It'd be perfectly fine to discuss the problems people have recognizing medical emergencies while also saying don't fucking drive if you feel like you're prone to medical emergencies and don't even have a license.

Imm0rt4l

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165035082]Why couldn't the situation be "knowingly sick man with revoked license and alcohol in the car crashes outside an elementary school"? That an aggressive enough title?

Why are we only allowed to talk about the officer? Can't they both be equally unfortunate situations without implying that one lead to the other?

It'd be perfectly fine to discuss the problems people have recognizing medical emergencies while also saying don't fucking drive if you feel like you're prone to medical emergencies and don't even have a license.[/QUOTE]
Because none of this has any bearing on how the officers conducted themselves .He'd only been feeling sick for the past few days. The fuck is this apologist nonsense?

Derwind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165035082]Why couldn't the situation be "knowingly sick man with revoked license and alcohol in the car crashes outside an elementary school"? That an aggressive enough title?

It'd be perfectly fine to discuss the problems people have recognizing medical emergencies while also saying don't fucking drive if you feel like you're prone to medical emergencies and don't even have a license.[/QUOTE]

You can definitely discuss police brutality and the events before the brutality took place without implying one lead to the other. The rarity in which discussions such as these don't devolve into a victim blaming session is also something worth noting I think.

Because none of this has any bearing on how the officers conducted themselves .He'd only been feeling sick for the past few days. The fuck is this apologist nonsense?

I'm not apologizing for anyone. I said they're both separate but equally unfortunate events. Just because the officer was a dick, that doesn't mean we can't also learn something from the driver's poor choices.

We can all just yell about officers being mean to black people if that's what we want off topic to be, or we can have a productive thread that talks about a bigger-picture issue that needs more exposure. People in general aren't always able to recognize the symptoms of a medical emergency versus drug abuse. This isn't something that only happens to police officers, and it's certainly not something that only happens because someone wants an excuse to beat up black people.

People in the position to be first responders need to be more educated on how to identify a seizure, or anticipate the possibility of low blood sugar in a diabetic patient, or someone that just had a stroke. To someone like a police officer or ambulance driver that deals with people under the influence on a daily basis, the symptoms of these conditions can often be misleading, and sometimes lead to otherwise preventable death.

None of those symptoms involve the darkness of a person's skin. We don't need to immediately jump to racism in these situations, there are other factors worth considering.

And just because this unfortunate situation happens with a police officer, that doesn't mean it's not worth also looking at the driver's behavior. Knowing that he's not been healthy for several days, knowing that he's not legally allowed to drive, he still made that choice to put the lives of others at risk. The events following the outcome of his choice being unrelated, we should all be aware of the dangers of what he did.

You can definitely discuss police brutality and the events before the brutality took place without implying one lead to the other.
That's all I'm looking for. It seems to me that there are two unrelated stories in this case.

Mael

Gotta love how a guy putting other people lives at risk is a big, big issue that need to stamped out any way we can while police basically killing and maiming the population for no reason is somehow ok.
What kind of training does policemen take? The Hulk reruns?
Bruce Banner was black?

e: Man if that's how they treat people having accidents, how do they treat actual bad guys!

PopeReal

Glad that there are people here to tell us that you shouldn't drive with a revoked license. I mean, thank God. We would never figure that out without your help. Let's talk about it some more. Maybe some other laws that people shouldn't break either. That will be totally informative and not derail the thread at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom