• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF7 Remake Trailer breaks 7 million views on YouTube in less than a week

RexNovis

Banned
I was just showing the official trailer to a friend and happened to see the views. Just the official version of the trailer in the playstation YouTube channel has over 7 MILLION views! 7 MILLION! I couldn't believe it. In the time it has taken me to write this OP it has almost hit 8 million. I knew that FF7 was beloved and, by all accounts, popular but this is way beyond any expectation I had. This game is gonna be HUGE!

So am I the only one who underestimated the impact this would have? I figured it would be a home run with the relatively small hardcore market but these sort of numbers seem to imply a much larger market appeal than I had anticipated.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
People have been joking about FFVII:R for almost a decade. Even up to just a few days from the reveal it was a joke. Biggest surprise in E3 history. So the views aren't as surprising.

Shredderi

The thirst is very real. It all got me wondering why the seemingly huge demand for FF7 remake exists in comparison to hypothetical remakes of other final fantasy games? Is it because of that 2005 tech demo that featured the beginning of ff7? My guess is that that video got people thinking, maybe made them realize that they actually wanted that.

It's closing in at 8 million now

C01cIJo.png

Also 2nd most watched E3 2015 video after SW Battlefront. (which has only 500k more views)

Ploid 3.0

Reminds me of the Playstation Reveal event video having 14 mil + views in a short amount of time on youtube, being listed in a most wanted gadget list. Like the wait for this gen, the wait for FF7 remake was way too long. People are thirsty.

Haunted

I can't believe Battlefront has more views.

I also can't believe Pewdiepie playing Giraffe Simulator has more views.

RexNovis

Banned
It's closing in at 8 million now

C01cIJo.png

I know I just saw after I finished the OP. It had just broken 7 million an hour and a half ago. I gestalt had no idea it would be such a massive draw. Pleasantly surprised. Really hope this capitalizes on the hype and goes in to sell gangbusters. Surely such success would reinvigorate market for JRPGs. These are truly exciting times :D

haha I remember people earlier this year comparing Persona 5's trailer views to Final Fantasy XIV(?) and were convinced that they were presenting a challenge for the genre leader. I guess not.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
!!!

If this game does well enough, I just might get my Final Fantasy 8 Remsaster after all! Underrated masterpiece. Make it happen Square-Enix.

Ploid 3.0

The thirst is very real. It all got me wondering why the seemingly huge demand for FF7 remake exists in comparison to hypothetical remakes of other final fantasy games? Is it because of that 2005 tech demo that featured the beginning of ff7? My guess is that that video got people thinking, maybe made them realize that they actually wanted that.

The first 3d Final Fantasy game for SE, and it looks rough today. Then SE kept teasing FF7 tech demos though they also teased the dance scene of FF8 but not as much as FF7 tech demos. Then you have FF7 spinoffs that look great while FF7 still look bad.

If only SE had jumped on this earlier they probably wouldn't have had to put so much work into it. It could have still used pre rendered backgrounds with the signature fmv backgrounds animating them with highly detailed 3d models for the characters. Now they might end up doing 3d worlds on Unreal 4.

Percy

Banned
This is probably going to be one of the biggest things SE have ever released, so it's not a surprise it's getting so much buzz.

Here's hoping for their sake they don't take too long getting it finished now.

I can't believe Battlefront has more views.

SW is a huge IP, that Battlefront trailer was perfectly revealed at SWC, and it had the advantage of the Episode 7 trailer linking to the Battlefront trailer. The perfect storm of getting a shit-ton of views.

That it even potentially comes close to Battlefront's views, is insane, even for FF7.

kmax

I still can't believe it. After years of pleading and begging - we're finally here.

On top of that, we're getting Shenmue 3 and TLG too.

i-cant-armie-hammer.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A lot of it is also word by mouth. You have an entire generation on YouTube, so you have people claiming their own position. Imagine this as someone's first JRPG. That's how I feel about 7 million views. You also have all the returning fans that wanted to see the trailer. Not every gamer goes onto YouTube, but it's easy to use.

Top Bottom