• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF7 Remake Trailer breaks 7 million views on YouTube in less than a week

SOLDIER

I do think FFXIII damaged the brand a little, on the other hand a great FFVII remake can bring the brand to new highs, meanwhile a good FFXV can restore the faith on S-E being able to make a worthy remake.

They are indeed coming back from the bombing attack

Good catch!

Is there a collection of all the stuff people have managed to find in the trailer?

They know about it by name but 90% of the time they don't know what Half-life actually is.

Half-Life is basically a benchmark for PC gamers and a internet meme.

Somewhat ironic as it's you who are unaware of how massive Half Life 2 is.

Impact on gaming culture aside, sales wise it has outsold Final Fantasy 7 by millions and has 7 years less to do so.

Not sure how you can compare them either, apples and oranges.

Not surprising. TONS of people who don't give a shit about FFVII probably checked it out. In fact there's probably a ton of people that got excited for this even though they don't know what it is.

as a comparison:

After 1 week this has already more views than (checked the most viewed video/Trailer of these games)

Uncharted 4, Destiny, Halo 5, The Last of US, AC Syndicate, The Witcher 3, Fifa 16, Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, every Gears of War Game and the original Tech demo from 2005

HYPE

wmlk

I don't think that will happen.

Sony had an insane marketing campaign for FF7 at the time. I highly doubt they will ever do something like that again.

Sony is going to market this to the moon and back. There's a reason why SE has a deal with Sony.

Ganondorfo

Does Star Wars Force Awakens movie trailer have more views than FF7 remake E3 reveal? Just asking, because I think FF7 is as big as Star Wars in the videogame world.

mazpratim

Sony had an insane marketing campaign for FF7 at the time, it was incredibly expensive. I highly doubt they will ever do something like that again.

The industry is way bigger now and we have stuff like Youtube/social media to raise the word of mouth/marketing about the game. Also people have been talking about this game for years, which led to millions more people playing it on emulator/ports/Steam/etc. I think it will outsell the original.

as a comparison:

After 1 week this has already more views than (checked the most viewed video/Trailer of these games)

Uncharted 4, Destiny, Halo 5, The Last of US, AC Syndicate, The Witcher 3, Fifa 16, Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, every Gears of War Game and the original Tech demo from 2015

HYPE

Battlefront though ;)

Battle of the nostalgia, Star Wars vs Final Fantasy VII.

Great time to be alive and gaming.

Boke1879

Sony had an insane marketing campaign for FF7 at the time, it was incredibly expensive. I highly doubt they will ever do something like that again.

Idk if it will outsell the original but this game will easily sell millions.

Not quite as significant, but I'm happy to say my reaction video broke 200,000:

https://youtu.be/ieB51rHpQ4Q

I think I might have the second most-viewed FFVII reaction video after GT Live.

That unrestrained enthusiasm hasn't waned. I'm so happy we have entered the "holy shit the Remake is real" era.
Dude, I teared up watching this reaction video. I could feel the emotion in the theater.

Well done good sir.

Mikey Jr.

9 million views in a week.

That is absolutely crazy.

It will probably reach 2nd most viewed video on PS channel which is no easy task.

They manufactured this demand, and they know they had a deploy nuke button. I don't understand why the felt the need to use it now when they don't really have a drought or lack of jrpgs in the works. I guess they feel it's better now than later.
Square seem to be in their best position in a decade in terms of project management, why not take it on when you finally have the capability?

hal9001

Banned
It was reported all around the web. Some of the views could be mostly curious people seeing what the fuss is all about never having even payed final fantasy games.

This game will not outsell the original but to say it will more than make up for the investment would be an understatement to say the least. You just know Sony will push this unbelievably hard, the nostalgia factor alone would ensure the game would push a few million within the first month at absolute worst. The film industry is showing just how powerful nostalgia is, Jurassic World is doing amazingly well and even dog shit like the Star Wars franchise will do well end of this year.

I'm just to damn happy this is finally happening, I'm hoping 2017 but that's probably being too optimistic.

That unrestrained enthusiasm hasn't waned. I'm so happy we have entered the "holy shit the Remake is real" era.
Haha that was you? My friend at work showed this to me. Its so good. Priceless. I was at home by myself. I flipped out but I had nobody to high five and share the excitement with :( GAF was here though. Sorta. Afterward anyway. Such a great moment in gaming history. I will remember it forever.

Ploid 3.0

Sony was the publisher for FF7 in the US so I can see your statement being true. It will show up somewhere else like PC and there's no reason Square won't publish it themselves. I wonder if Japan will line up for it or anything. I remember the old days when people would be in lines for a new Final Fantasy, console, or Dragon Quest.

Haha, I remember the FF7 remake threads over the past couple years where people claimed that everyone interested in 7 had moved on and that it wouldn't sell. So much crow!

raven777

CIES-1_UEAAKB0t.jpg:orig

over 9 million views.

Can't wait to see it go over 10 million.

This is hilarious. If you didn't know the context, the natural assumption when everyone starts screaming and the camera starts waving around would be: zombies attacking theater.

ZhugeEX

Banned
What year was that number? I'm sure the number is much higher with emulation and second hand buys

December 2006 sales for all PlayStation 1 SKU's.

9.81m is the number of new sales to retailers.

Of course when you add in second hand and emulation then it's much higher as it is with any game. But I'm just saying what the game actually sold on PS1.

Top Bottom