• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Knight price raised to 55 Euro in EU2 [On Steam]

Chariot

On suggestion of PunishedSnake who was junior'd for bad thread ideas I am creating this thread. Apparently Batman: Arkham Knights had his price raised to about 55 Euros on Steam. Now it's mote expensive there than it is in the richer EU1 countries.

AKko1IV.jpg

Thanks to lashman for the picture.

Did the value of the game rose thanks to the fun we all have with the controversies? I this divine punishment? A mistake? Or just another step in russias plan to get Texas to rebell against the oppressive devil government that is the USA? Discuss.

Refund this thread if old.

Lain

Game costs more in the EU tier that's more poor? This AK thing keeps being comedy gold.

Maybe the change was to get it inline with bad rats. You know, bad rats costs more in EU2 too compared to EU1.

Chariot

wtf is eu2..
Steam has different price regions, Europe has two, ine for the richer western countries, one for the eastern. Most of the time EU2 is cheaper sometimes it's the same price as EU1. Being actually more expensive is intersting though, not to mention the sudden raise.

wtf is eu2..

<Generally:>

Region 1:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland

Region 2:
Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Vatican City

https://www.steamprices.com/eu2/faq

There is no logical reason for WB to do this, so I'm assuming it's a mistake unless the price in EU1 is raised as well.

There is a logical reason to do this, though it's not necessarily beneficial for WB: local distributors usually only get their cut on box copies, so in return they demand the online version to be somehow crippled, i.e. with higher price.

For a more interesting example, see Dishonored.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Steam has different price regions, Europe has two, ine for the richer western countries, one for the eastern. Most of the time EU2 is cheaper sometimes it's the same price as EU1. Being actually more expensive is intersting though, not to mention the sudden raise.

actually - 99.9% of the time EU1 and EU2 prices are the same ... there are only a few games that are cheaper in EU2 (Talos Principle comes to mind)

Region 1:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland

Region 2:
Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Vatican City

This is kind of baffling tbh. Some of those Region 2 countries aren't even "poor." Norway in particular is fuckin' ballin'.

Wiktor

Steam prices generally suck in EU. It makes zero sense to buy directly from Steam. In germany boxed copy costs 44 euros and has Steam key. In Poland I can get the key for 25-28 euros.

Chariot

So which tier is Ireland? AK as well as other new releases cost 69.99 euros.

On what? PC?

Because it's 70€ on PS4 here in Finland. So that's still super cheap on PC :D
I just clarified that this is about Steam in the OP, sorry for the confusion!

actually - 99.9% of the time EU1 and EU2 prices are the same ... there are only a few games that are actually cheaper in EU2 (Talos Principle comes to mind)
Oh, that's terrible.

Arthea

actually - 99.9% of the time EU1 and EU2 prices are the same ... there are only a few games that are actually cheaper in EU2 (Talos Principle comes to mind)

nobody cares about EU2 situation, when even publishers located in this very region have the same prices for both regions, what else could be said?
They as well can get rid of two EU tiers and make it one, because that's the reality.
I know only Tales Principle, there are more?

As to AK situation, it makes no sense.

Holdfing

This is getting ridicolous. They're selling shit and then bumping up the he price even more? In tier 2?
And they wonder why it's pirate country over here.

doomquake

Didn't know EU was split.. now everything makes sense about people's attitudes to each other here.

Region 1:

Region 2:

ps3ud0

Looks like you have to be a rich EU member state to be in EU1, why Norway is EU2...

EDIT: Does not explain Switzerland tho who arent in the EU either but are in Steams EU1

ps3ud0 8)

nobody cares about EU2 situation, when even publishers located in this very region have the same prices for both regions, what else could be said?
They as well can get rid of two EU tiers and make it one, because that's the reality.

As to AK situation, it makes no sense.

There are in fact quite a few titles which have their EU2 prices higher, probably for the reason listed above.

And it doesn't have the Euro. They have their own currency, the Norwegian Krone.

Eh, them not supporting every European currency is understandable to be honest; especially since many of these are supposed to disappear (which in some cases means they will disappear, but in some cases doesn't mean anything).

madjoki

This is kind of baffling tbh. Some of those Region 2 countries aren't even "poor." Norway in particular is fuckin' ballin'.

That's outdated listed, Norway is no longer in EU2, but it's own region, priced in krones.
It's still usually cheaper than other regions.

afaik, EU2 is disabled for new games by default.

kiguel182

Still cheaper than on PS4.

Still, the fact that they have two price tiers inside EU and the cheapest one is for the richest countries it's pretty sad.

Jack cw

It's still amazing to see that a shit port is more expensive than the PS4 version. I paid 53 EUR for the console version here in EU...

test_account

XP-39C²
Hah, why? Do you think Norway is all just vikings and lumberjacks or something?
He just mean the size of the population. Norway has like 5 million people while Netherland has like 17 million people. In theory, you should be able to sell a lot more copies in Netherland compared to in Norway.

Mifec

Region 1:

Region 2:

I can tell you without a doubt that Croatia always has tier 1 prices. Which is pretty bad since it encourages piracy a lot

iceatcs

Hah, why? Do you think Norway is all just vikings and lumberjacks or something?

Maybe if it is only explain. :p
Holland have more people than Norway is main reason of gaming size.

Smallest market always charge more.

I suspect maybe nothing to do with the size of market, see at Luxembourg, like maybe location/tax/VAT reasons.

Top Bottom