• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS: Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain Save Transfer

KAOz

Short bus special
Wonder if people who get it early will be able to import the saves into their current game.

Would be hilarious if it only works on New Game.

The games don't connect to online before the 1st so nothing coming before that unless there's a press release/tweet
Nooooo.gif

Mine is in transit, so I guess if I choose to play it early I won't get to import my GZ dudes. - maybe never at all depending on whether you can import at any time.

Vanguard

Yep, I was able to register it on my Konami core account 3 days ago. Still waiting for the psn code for it.

Depends on region I think and possibly platform. For example in Europe (or at least the UK) we didn't get a konami code for PS4 (and 3?), it was already a psn code in the case. Which still cannot be redeemed on the store, and the url for details on the leaflet is no longer valid.

Revven

We have no idea what counts unfortunately. The regular guards do seem like quite a stretch though.

We have a pretty good idea/grasp on what counts but nothing officially confirmed. Logic would dictate regular guards don't count even without explicit confirmation (especially because it was confirmed we would be able to return to Camp Omega in TPP anyway). Whereas Prisoners and special characters like Kojima should transfer in some form or another -- whether the prisoners literally transfer is one thing but something like Kojima would be a literal transfer for your R&D team most likely (as was his role in Peace Walker when you found him). No official confirmation but it's pretty logical to assume the above going off of that.

We'll find out soon enough (as annoying as it has been).

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hold on what's all this voucher and code thing about ? I have Ground Zero on my computer and TPP waiting in Steam as well. I'm not going to play MGS TPP until Sept 1 and that's also the day in which some MGS server thing goes online ? The server checks your progression in GZ in order to unlock stuff for you in TPP ? If I get that save file linked earlier and put it in the appropriate save folder now locally on my computer, I will be able to get all the goodies for TPP after it launches, right ?

Hold on what's all this voucher and code thing about ? I have Ground Zero on my computer and TPP waiting in Steam as well. I'm not going to play MGS TPP until Sept 1 and that's also the day in which some MGS server thing goes online ? The server checks your progression in GZ in order to unlock stuff for you in TPP ? If I get that save file linked earlier and put it in the appropriate save folder now locally on my computer, I will be able to get all the goodies for TPP after it launches, right ?

You don't need the voucher if you have the game digitally I believe

normanski

Neo Member
Regular guards aren't going to count...

You likely wasted a bunch of time doing that.

Yup, like 40 hours :0s

It was fun though and an empty base made looking for XOF badges easier :0)

Cheers for the reply btw. I just got it delivered but I'm not going to be able to play it until Saturday at the very earliest as it's in another location.

The waiting has been killing me as it is :0(!

PreFire

Does anyone know if finding all the xof badges carry over?
And do I have to S rank all the missions to unlock costumes?

There's a guide out there

This information can be found all over the internet, but I decided to compile it in one place and add some of my own. This post focuses solely on things which may potentially carry over to The Phantom Pain from your Ground Zeroes save file, and not on Steam achievements/100% completion; there are guides for that elsewhere. Obviously, there are Ground Zeroes spoilers in this post.

1. S Rank all missions
There are a lot of youtube videos available of S-ranking all missions; I found it more fun to find my own way, but feel free to look them up if you're having trouble. In general, speed isn't as important as zero combat alerts + zero retries; the latter two are weighed heavily, whereas time provides less score. Essentially, the three most important things for most missions are to kill the fewest amount of enemies possible, zero combat detections, and zero retries.

2. Costumes
Unlocking character skins in Ground Zeroes will also unlock them for use in The Phantom Pain. (Source)

Costume List
Infiltration Suit – Own a copy of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.
Solid Snake – Recreate all scenes in side op “Déjà-Vu” NORMAL difficulty and complete the quiz after mission completion.
Gray Fox – Recreate all scenes in side op “Déjà-Vu” HARD difficulty and complete the quiz after mission completion.
Raiden (White Armor) – Complete side op “Jamais Vu” on NORMAL difficulty.
Raiden (Commando Armor) – Complete side op “Jamais Vu” on HARD difficulty.

You can find the quiz answers here.

3. Music
I'm uncertain if music will carry over from your Ground Zeroes save to The Phantom Pain; obviously, it won't hurt to unlock all of the music anyways.

4. VIPs, HVTs, and Prisoners
In MGSV: TPP, certain people you rescue in Ground Zeroes will be available for use at Mother Base. (Source) All of these individuals only need to be rescued once in order for them to appear in TPP; what I'm unsure about is whether rescuing them on Hard difficuly or Normal difficulty matters, but I would rescue them on Hard just in case. In “Eliminate the Renegate Threat” and “Classified Intel Acquisition”, the targets are hostile, so you need to knock them out first.

Extraction List

Mission: Ground Zeroes – 7 Total
1. Chico
2. The four other POWs in Camp Omega, next to Chico
3. POW about to be executed (After rescuing Chico, interrogate guards to find his location in the refugee camp)
4. Paz

Mission: Eliminate the Renegade Threat – 4 Total
1. Glaz “The Eye”
2. Palitz “The Finger”
3. Two POWs in Camp Omega, same location as Chico

Mission: Intel Operative Rescue - 1 Total
1. Hideo Kojima (Complete the Mission)

Mission: Classified Intel Acquisition - 2 Total
1. Intel Agent (Signal him, then knock him out and extract him)
2. Bald Soldier (Ride the truck to the front gate, then head to the room beside where Paz was being held. Interrogate first.)

Mission: Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements - 4 Total
1. POW in the Boiler Room, same location as Paz
2. Three POWs in Camp Omega, same location as Chico

Conclusion
That's about it. One thing that is entirely optional that I would recommend is catching up on the storyline of the series. Reading, watching videos, and playing through the old games are all viable options. Let me know if you have any questions or if I forgot something.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...w_to_prepare_for_the_phantom_pain_by_playing/

The character skin unlocks, where it says complete on normal and unlock Raiden.. Does it need to be S ranked?

I know the servers aren't up but I'm getting the game today and wanted to know. Playing Ground Zeroes like a motherfucker right now lol

I think I've played more Ground Zeroes since I got the Phantom Pain than actually playing TPP. I've come to appreciate it more and I wanna extract everyone for my base.

Omikaru

How does Ground Zeroes PS4 --> The Phantom Pain PS4 work? Does it just read my GZ save off my hard drive, or do I have to upload my GZ save somewhere?

Has there been any confirmation on region restrictions?

Meaning if i have a digital US copy of Ground Zeroes, and i buy a PAL Phantom Pain on disc, will it work? This on a PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does anyone know if finding all the xof badges carry over?
And do I have to S rank all the missions to unlock costumes?

There's a guide out there

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...w_to_prepare_for_the_phantom_pain_by_playing/

The character skin unlocks, where it says complete on normal and unlock Raiden.. Does it need to be S ranked?

I know the servers aren't up but I'm getting the game today and wanted to know. Playing Ground Zeroes like a motherfucker right now lol
Cool, sounds like everything I'd care about is done and ready to go.

Shit, trying to finish Peace Walker which means i won't have time to 100 percent this. Is it possible to share saves in this without personal information leaking or something like that? If so i'd really wish for someone to share theirs. I've played through ground zeroes several times on ps3, and a couple of times on PC. But i just won't have time to 100 percent it until TPP :(

I have a feeling all we're going to get is one or two generic units for having a save file. Whatever you did on this save file won't matter one bit. Fans will be gloriously trolled again.

I'm embarrassed to say I only played through the GZ mission before uninstalling the game. Man, I've been missing out. The Side Ops are pretty fun, especially Deja Vu. I've followed the guides and extracted all the POWs, but I think I'll go through each mission and extract every single soldier for fun.

Storm360

Meaning if i have a digital US copy of Ground Zeroes, and i buy a PAL Phantom Pain on disc, will it work? This on a PS4.

If you can wait a while I can try US to Japanese but it will probably take a while for my Japanese copy to get here

I'm all but positive it won't work. I originally bought my PS4 copy on the US PSN store, and when I later got another copy free with my Australian PS+ account the save file wasn't compatible.

Gaffi

Yep, I was able to register it on my Konami core account 3 days ago. Still waiting for the psn code for it.
I was able to register the voucher code back when GZ launched but yesterday I tried to get the actual psn code and it said to come back on launch of TPP. Were you actually able to get the psn code?

Raxious

Can I replay a mission to save the other guys, or do I have to save em all in 1 run? For Example in the first mission I didn't rescue the guy who's about to get executed.

Revven

Can I replay a mission to save the other guys, or do I have to save em all in 1 run? For Example in the first mission I didn't rescue the guy who's about to get executed.

Yes, you can replay and get them. It doesn't have to be one run.

Ridley327

To be on the safe side, I would do them all in one run. Once you know their locations, they never change during playthroughs, unless it's a time-sensitive situations like that one where the POW will start to be moved when you rescue either Chico or Paz (you can actually save him before then if you know where to look).

Ridley327

No, the Raiden costumes don't require anything other than completing Jamais Vu on Normal and Hard. Only the Deja Vu costumes require something extra, since you need to recreate all of the Scenes and ace the MGS1 quiz on both Normal and Hard.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is the Solid Snake costume the MGS1 model like in GZ? Would love a new model with the SS attire.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
Ok guys my first post!

Anywho, Steam version of Ground Zeroes here. I currently use a widescreen monitor, so I tried this fix, from widescreen gaming, http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=29053, to allow for support of the 2560 x 1080 resolution. While it fixed the issue, it also deleted my saves.

So just alerting anyone else using widescreen monitors and looking for a fix.

Hope Phantom Pain supports this feature on launch.

Ridley327

Is the Solid Snake costume the MGS1 model like in GZ? Would love a new model with the SS attire.

No, the one in TPP is a brand new modern day rendering, as demonstrated in the Mother Base video. You keep the eye patch, but everything else is what MGS1 Snake would look like in 2015.

Top Bottom