• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Community Thread |OT| It's how you use it...

Possibly because more often than not you 'usually' see some measure of 'stache as well?

Hmm, maybe?

Might be slightly off center too. Or maybe it's the shadows on the face that stop at the beard, so they look different.

I don't know... Try adding a stache, that might help lol.

Kalentan

Hmm, maybe?

Might be slightly off center too. Or maybe it's the shadows on the face that stop at the beard, so they look different.

I don't know... Try adding a stache, that might help lol.

Outside the last one, none of them are real characters. xD So mr strange beard will not be joining.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Kalentan

Oh dear, may I ask where it is? Even if not perfect, it'd be beneficial since while I knew how to do my own lights and shadows system in VX Ace, I don't yet in MV and want to figure out a method for myself, even if limited to work off of.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/19147-very-easy-lighting-effects-tutorial/

You may have actually used this before as this tutorial works identical to MV. The only thing I would suggest is maybe making the lights 125% bigger. Cause I found the default size made the light a bit below the torches and so it looks odd. Like the fire itself wasn't creating the light.

I found for smaller objects that cast a light, I made a copy of the light image and made it slightly more transparent so it wasn't as strong.

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Kalentan

Oh, map overlaying. I should of thought of that. Yes, that can work certainly for now, though hope a better system comes forth. I was so used to my old system, I was able to make pretty darkness creep over the screen, some unique light source functions, fogs, and more, but I think I can try my best to recreate some of it now with overlays until something is discovered/made to do it easier.

I just hope we get a full on lighting script like in VX Ace with dynamic lighting and all. I also REALLY wish they would bring back the fog system from XP. 3 releases in a row it's has to be scripted back in. Originally I was going to have my map be foggy but no way to do that currently. :/

Falk

that puzzling face
Historically the main problem with lights (especially night time) on baked tiles is that the shadows don't really care and go off doing their own thing. It's something that's best handled during tileset creation, really.

1upsuper

Would anyone mind giving me some suggestions on more surreal/abstract/otherwise really out there games to play made in RPG Maker? Stuff like Yume Nikki, Lisa the First, Off, Middens, or Space Funeral? I'd really appreciate it!

I'm personally tempted to pick up the new version. But I have this cycle with RPG Maker where I buy a new version and have some fun with it but never stick with it. But maybe this time...

Dusk Golem

1upsuper

Thanks a whole bunch! I haven't played any Yume Nikki fan games and I'm excited to play these two. The ones I listed are pretty much the extent of what I've played that I'm kinda looking for, so if you Would be willing to give even more suggestions at your convenience, that would be fantastic.

Mets9

Man, reading this thread makes me want to create something post apocalyptic similar to the first two fallout.
Unfortunately, I don't have the skills involving coding to modify rpgmaker, composing and drawing :( hell, I don't even have time and don't even know if that's even possible -.-

ZeroX03

Banned
Man, reading this thread makes me want to create something post apocalyptic similar to the first two fallout.
Unfortunately, I don't have the skills involving coding to modify rpgmaker, composing and drawing :( hell, I don't even have time -.-

Don't let coding stand in the way of you creating anything. There's already heaps of great scripts for important things offered free with MV. Also it's only day three. There's years of great community made scripts to come. There's also music packs and art packs available, and pretty reasonably priced to boot. Use the science fiction assets that come free with the engine as temporary assets, a lot of it has a sort of dark, post apocalyptic vibe.

Mets9

Don't let coding stand in the way of you creating anything. There's already heaps of great scripts for important things offered free with MV. Also it's only day three. There's years of great community made scripts to come. There's also music packs and art packs available, and pretty reasonably priced to boot. Use the science fiction assets that come free with the engine as temporary assets, a lot of it has a sort of dark, post apocalyptic vibe.
Forgot to mention: I only have the VX Ace version now :p maybe I'll buy MV one day

Li Kao

So, bear in mind that I have very little knowledge of RPG Maker, if I wanted to begin a project in Ace but ultimately had to 'port' it to MV I would have to :
- convert the scripts and events more or less automatically.
- resize my sprites and tiles using waifu2x then photoshop.
- rebuild everything with the now compatibles elements.

That's it or am I hugely mistaken ?

ZeroX03

Banned
So, bear in mind that I have very little knowledge of RPG Maker, if I wanted to begin a project in Ace but ultimately had to 'port' it to MV I would have to :
- convert the scripts and events more or less automatically.
- resize my sprites and tiles using waifu2x then photoshop.
- rebuild everything with the now compatibles elements.

That's it or am I hugely mistaken ?

Ruby Scripts can not really be converted. They need to be rewritten in JavaScript. Fortunately there's already hugely talented people making scripts for MV so that probably won't be a problem unless you want to something specific to your game. Events and your database are converted easily. Video

You may need to resize your sprites using waifu2x or something similar. You can set custom tile size in MV so you could use your old 32x32 sprites or double them for a crisp 64x64 if you wanted. Your choice. 48x48 does work best for the in-game editor though. Video

As far as rebuilding goes, if your graphics keep their original file names I think they match up automatically.

Li Kao

Ok, I'm totally lost in Ace. It's a little upsetting to see that my test a few months ago was far more well done than what I achieved today ( ^_^)
But the full screen option is really blurry, I think I must give the trial of MV a go.

Sölf

I doubt anyone of you would like to help me translating one of games from german into english? xD
To be more pecise, it would be my current game, made with VX Ace. It's a dungeon crawler. So, not much story anyways (basically no story, but still a few dialogues), most would be translating monster, skills, items etc. So, database stuff. The game is nearly done, only a few dialogues are missing (credits and some hints for bosses as well as another NPC missing something).

Here is an older download as well as a few screenshots.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not terribly proficient at German, but I could play through a translation and offer thoughts on the English, for what it's worth.

Isn't the language dependent on where you bought it?

I haven't bought it =X

I'm using the trial.

Which I downloaded from the English website, and the program is not in English...

Edit:
At the moment it defaults to your windows language. We are working to get another way to change it in there. Apologies for this inconvenience.

I mean...

I COULD have looked up on Google from the beginning... But that would have taken effort =X

Oh well, that kinda sucks (would suck less if the translation wasn't awful >.>), but I'll live.

Kalentan

Anyone else notice this weird bug in the system? If you say update an image in paint, RPG Maker will only notice the change if you restart. It's annoying.
Cause anytime I make a small tweak to a sprite, I need to restart.

Dusk Golem

Kalentan

Which version? I know in VX Ace and MV you don't need to restart the whole program, but sometimes you need to go to the tileset/actor in the database and select the image again for it to update.

MV.

Hm... It wouldn't for me. Tilesets would update but character sprites won't.

Also I made this... Required many restarts to get it to look right:

288b.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
There's no way to make the bedsheet on a layer in front of the character sprites permanently, is there?

(This is what FF6 does if I'm not wrong)

Kalentan

There's no way to make the bedsheet on a layer in front of the character sprites permanently, is there?

(This is what FF6 does if I'm not wrong)

There is... I may actually add that to make the movement getting out of bed look better. You have to basically make its own event or draw a picture.

ZeroX03

Banned
There is... I may actually add that to make the movement getting out of bed look better. You have to basically make its own event or draw a picture.

Yeah, should just be an event over the hero. You would probably need to do a little image editing to crop out the pillow and add transparency but that's a 2 minute job.

Kalentan

Anyone hope someone adds the civilian outfits to the generator? Kind of annoying that they're missing. Makes making 'civilians' harder.

Could I get some help fixing this?

http://i.picpar.com/zA8b.png

For some reason SVActorPosition plugin isn't moving them. They're staying in the same spot if it's on or off. If I use the Yanfly auto position, it gets it closer but it's still off.

Also the enemies are for some reason really blurred, as is the background. Which is odd since it's a 1920 x 1080 background, it's almost like the game is stretching it out bigger even though it's the same size as the screen.

Golnei

I ended up accidentally starting something; this thread existing probably helped keep it on my mind enough to do that. I'll keep to the plan I had earlier and try to get it finished in a month - the end result is overwhelmingly likely to be shit, but at least it'll be something.

I ended up accidentally starting something; this thread existing probably helped keep it on my mind enough to do that. I'll keep to the plan I had earlier and try to get it finished in a month - the end result is overwhelmingly likely to be shit, but at least it'll be something.

90% of everything is shit, don't let that stop you, it sure doesn't stop anyone else

The artist is rarely right about their own work anyway

Kalentan

Hey guys, I made a decent progress on my menu!

Originally I had this from the script AltMenuScreen by Yoji Ojima.

Now it looks fine, at least in general. It's clearly not made for a large screen...

But now I edited it (hope that is allowed?) and got this after a bunch of tweaking:

Note: Only the first 3 are actual party members, though Stefan (WIP) is a temp. The rest are just there to show how many can be shown.

What do you guys think? I could have just 4 showing, but I like the idea of opening my menu and seeing ALL my party members.

ZeroX03

Banned
Haven't started anything yet. Playing with scripts and testing the engine to see what it's capable of. JavaScript means some great plugins are being made really quickly.

90% of everything is shit, don't let that stop you, it sure doesn't stop anyone else

The artist is rarely right about their own work anyway

If you think your work is perfect right off the bat, chances are you're wrong and it's a disaster.

If you keep finding flaws to improve and are never happy with the work, chances are you're being pedantic and changing things nobody will ever notice but you.

When in doubt, bring in a fresh set of eyes.

Simple question: Is the limit on switches and variables and stuff still there? Is there a way to remove with scripts? Maybe it's a limitation from the Trial version?

Or maybe there's no way to increase...? >.>

IceIpor

Simple question: Is the limit on switches and variables and stuff still there? Is there a way to remove with scripts? Maybe it's a limitation from the Trial version?

Or maybe there's no way to increase...? >.>

Still 5000 each. There should be a way to increase it with plugins, but someone needs to make it first.

However, I have a hard time believing most any RPG would ever hit that limit.

Still 5000 each. There should be a way to increase it with plugins, but someone needs to make it first.

However, I have a hard time believing most any RPG would ever hit that limit.

Considering I don't do scripts and I like to play around with systems, that amount is quite small if I ever intended to make a full game >.>

Evilisk

Anyone thinking of getting serious in anything creative should use this as the first chapter of the bible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ResTHKVxf4

That was shorter than I was expecting, but still inspiring. Thanks for posting that!

Anyway I just wanted to post about the thing I'm working on. Managed to look into and get several of Yanfly's scripts as suggested. I picked up a bunch, and I was really happy to see that there was a battle-party change script (since I'd planned the game around one). It's not as elaborate as I'd hoped, and I don't have the skill to modify it the way I want too but it feels like a start.

I also wanted to mention that I finally managed to get the damn graphics working (or at least some portions of it) for my game. It's not like it's 100% complete (or even perfect) and it's honestly really only the first step I've taken (since everything else beforehand has been pre-planning). It's also a fan game that's using fan assets (I'm still gonna have to create some of my own stuff since there's not enough for everything in my game but it's still mostly 90% pre-created).

However, after having spent the last couple of days just pulling together all of the resources (sprites, walk animations, portraits, music) as well as prepping it for RPG Maker in the first place (which in of itself has been super frustrating). Seeing it functional and in motion has been the most damn satisfying thing ever.

I've still got a long way to go (especially with November just coming up) but it feels like I could really put this thing together now.

MrHoot

I'm personally waiting for a plugin/script for animated enemies since i'm pretty good at 2d animation. I want to have a very lively game so it'll help when i'll be able to do that

udivision

Considering I don't do scripts and I like to play around with systems, that amount is quite small if I ever intended to make a full game >.>
I've put out a 30 hour RPG for RMXP... I don't remember the number of switches/variables being that an issue. I did use scripting though.

I've put out a 30 hour RPG for RMXP... I don't remember the number of switches/variables being that an issue. I did use scripting though.
In the games I've completed I haven't exceeded 2500

shrug

See, I like to make games that constantly change (imagine NieR, but shit, and made in RPG Maker). I'll make a turn based game that turns action half way through and then starts having other mini-games as part of the main quest. And 100% of it is done with events.

Couple that with the 1000-2000 switches/variables you would normally have for all the cutscenes/basic actions/QOL stuff/etc. and it adds up really quickly. I don't even like using the engine's shop lol, I just like creating my own systems.

udivision

See, I like to make games that constantly change (imagine NieR, but shit, and made in RPG Maker). I'll make a turn based game that turns action half way through and then starts having other mini-games as part of the main quest. And 100% of it is done with events.

Couple that with the 1000-2000 switches/variables you would normally have for all the cutscenes/basic actions/QOL stuff/etc. and it adds up really quickly. I don't even like using the engine's shop lol, I just like creating my own systems.
Hmm, interesting.

I think one of the problems for RPG maker is the lack of temporary switched and variables that can be defined in runtime for the event. Using the script option of Fork Conditions helps with that some, but some times you have to waste your switch:variable allocation with dummy vars, or vars whose scope is very small.

ZeroX03

Banned

I mean that's kind of a heavy self imposed restriction you've got there.

There's no reason not to use scripts to simplify some things. RPG Maker is inherently a limited and simple engine. You don't have to learn JavaScript, but freely available scripts should be fair game.

Remember to use event specific switches to save on them where possible. One and done events shouldn't count toward the limit.

Sölf

That may depend on the engine. VX Ace (o VX?) introduced Self Switches, which could be used for stuff like one time events (chests, non respawning enemies etc). You could also use a single variable for the main plot, which I have seen only once. But you could basically use 1 variable which gets added +1 for each important main plot event (even stuff like an appearing character in a cutscene). This saves tons of switchtes. I never did that myself, because I rarely get to the point were engine limitations are a problem (one recent exception: 999 monster group limit in VX Ace, I had to increase that one with a script).

Top Bottom