• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Cruz : "I dont know if sand can glow in the dark but we're going to find out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICKE

Banned
Ted Cruz : Carpet bomb Islamic State into oblivion

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz said Saturday he would "utterly destroy" Islamic State if he were elected.

"We will carpet bomb them into oblivion. I don’t know if sand can glow in the dark, but we’re going to find out," Cruz said at the Rising Tide Summit in Cedar Rapids.

Speaking to reporters before his speech, Cruz said the U.S. "should do whatever is necessary to defeat and destroy" Islamic State, including taking out the oil fields and processing facilities that support the terror group.

The Republican Senator from Texas also criticized the idea of political correctness during his speech.

“We’ve seen the neighbors of the San Bernardino terrorists who said I suspected something, I thought something was wrong, but I didn’t want to say it because it wasn’t politically correct," Cruz said. "We see on college campuses and universities the speech police telling people you can’t speak unless it is sanitized."

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/p...et-bomb-islamic-state-into-oblivion/76863502/

Has he been reading GAF? His strategy is seems to be somewhat similar to that 'possible nuke area' post. Yikes, this election cycle sure is something. You got Trump speaking about bombing family members and now this.

Sick. Reckless. Stupid.

And it doesn't sound like the San bernardino neighbors had very compelling evidence. However they say the guns were purchased from Cheaper Than Dirt right down the street here in Texas. Something he might want to look into

rjinaz

Has he been reading GAF? His strategy is essentially somewhat similar to that 'possible nuke area' post.

It's amazing to me how angry some people are about the loss of 14 lives but they really don't seem to care any about how many innocent people would die with carpet bombing a nation or how many of even our own soldier would die from any resulting war.

Edit: That probably came across harsher than I intended. What happened sickens me as well. But I think all innocent life is precious. The same people going on about this latest event don't seem to give a second thought about people that die everyday from gun violence like that 7 year old girl just recently. How many of those same politicians spoke out about that?

BHHtvkJ.jpg

(What a thread that was...)

Foffy

Banned
Has this "wipe them from the earth" approach ever actually worked the way we wanted?

I mean, the things we wipe from the earth are a result of climate change, not military power. Maybe Cruz should ask for the acceleration of the biosphere getting warmer, so ISIS can be caught in a barren landscape.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To be fair he said the same thing about white people and guns during Sandy Hook oh no wait no now I think of it he's a gigantic piece of shit

Has this "wipe them from the earth" approach ever actually worked the way we wanted?

I mean, the things we wipe from the earth are a result of climate change, not military power. Maybe Cruz should ask for the acceleration of the biosphere getting warmer, so ISIS can be caught in a barren landscape.

It worked with the Empire of Japan, but that was a state and not nearly as flexible as ISIS is so we can't bomb this away.

To be fair he said the same thing about white people and guns during Sandy Hook oh no wait no now I think of it he's a gigantic piece of shit

The Connecticut senator's comments come after the Courageous Conservatives PAC, a group that supports presidential candidate Cruz, released a 60-second radio ad. While the spot largely focuses on 2016 rival Sen. Marco Rubio's (R-Fla.) record in the Senate, it also highlights that "after Sandy Hook Ted Cruz stopped Obama's push for new gun control laws."

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...s-pro-cruz-sandy-hook-ad#.VkHmgwH4aoE.twitter

Way to write ISIS' propaganda.
Seriously. I don't think these idiots realize that their words are enough to spread fire over there. It's hard to tell if these politicians are real anymore or just acting it up. I'm convinced it's an act they forget, and it turns into the real thing in their heads.

Nutjobs

Foffy

Banned
It worked with the Empire of Japan, but that was a state and not nearly as flexible as ISIS is so we can't bomb this away.

That and this is rooted in belief. So long as you have enough people buying into the canon, you're getting members. It's why Europe is full of homegrown ISIS enthusiasts.

Sulik2

Historically it's happened plenty of times. Go ask Khwarismians how they did fighting the Mongols. However, it's never happened in the modern era. Democratic governments and global communication tend to not lend themselves to the bloodthirsty imperialism that fueled the absolute destruction of cultures from existence. Also, it tends to invite global coalitions and world wars to stop you when you try it.

Well...it's not like Native Americans are ever going to rule the Americas again.

Granted diseases had a huge role in that, but it's not like chemical weapons don't exist nowadays.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seriously. I don't think these idiots realize that their words are enough to spread fire over there. It's hard to tell if these politicians are real anymore or just acting it up. I'm convinced it's an act they forget, and it turns into the real thing in their heads.

Nutjobs

I don't think Cruz thinks most of ISIS speaks English

...and doesn't think much further than that

rjinaz

BHHtvkJ.jpg

(What a thread that was...)

Was talking to my stepfather this very day about what happened and his response: "We should just nuke them all. The whole region. Every single one of them. It's the only way".

We gave that guy a hard time which he deserved sure, but his thinking is not unique, it's shared by, I would argue, a decent amount of people.

Nutjobs

Ted Cruz is a lot of things, including a trashbag human being, but he's not stupid.

He's very aware that there could be repercussions for his rhetoric. He just doesn't care.

I don't think Cruz thinks most of ISIS speaks English

...and doesn't think much further than that

On the contrary, his rhetoric fuels ISIS's propaganda machine and their response to his rhetoric helps his cause.

Was talking to my stepfather this very day about what happened and his response: "We should just nuke them all. The whole region. Every single one of them. It's the only way".

We gave that guy a hard time which he deserved sure, but his thinking is not unique, it's shared by, I would argue, a decent amount of people.

Complex issues and the nuanced approaches required of them are generally beyond the average person that doesn't pay constant attention to information from non-partisan sources.

mdubs

Banned
I wonder what the polling numbers would show if there was a poll asking if the US should just nuke the whole area.

rjinaz

On the contrary, his rhetoric fuels ISIS's propaganda machine and their response to his rhetoric helps his cause.

Complex issues and the nuanced approaches required of them are generally beyond the average person that doesn't pay constant attention to information from non-partisan sources.

Yep. So a lot of Americans and a lot of Voters and a lot of Trump/Cruz supporters. All they care about is they perceive a problem. If 25 million people have to die so they never have to think about it again, ah well, them da breaks.

I wonder what the polling numbers would show if there was a poll asking if the US should just nuke the whole area.
After WWII, 13% of Americans were in favor of killing all Japanese people on Earth -- men, women, children... all of them. 13%.
That's blatantly offensive. I mean, sand? really? is that necessary? Fuck this guy
I guess he's one of those people that thinks literally the entire Middle East is nothing but deserts.

kess

I'm almost looking forward to a Trump/Cruz ticket just so I can see people on this forum try to justify this shit.

Yep. So a lot of Americans and a lot of Voters and a lot of Trump/Cruz supporters. All they care about is they perceive a problem. If 25 million people have to die so they never have to think about it again, ah well, them da breaks.

I can't blame them in a sense because twenty-five million people in a region is an impossibly large number for the mind to comprehend similar to the number of Muslims globally or the population of the entire United States.

Americans were largely shielded from seeing the effects of nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki and post-war political culture reinforced that doing so was necessary. I can only imagine a similar outcome if the U.S. nukes Syria and Iraq. We'll all eventually die and subsequent generations will be taught it was the right decision.

Sickening. If someone like this is the face of my country... might be time to leave.

Unfortunately it's slowly shaping to be the face of the world, the right is on the rise again, the left is acting too slow.

It is one of the inevitable cycles of history, we just have to hope that not all the right wingers in the west and east turn out to be crazy and delusional like Cruz.

The reason we haven't just bombed it to hell is because there are a lot of innocent people in the cities. It would be one of the biggest human crimes ever to decimate millions to kill 30k.

Holy shit. The title had me curious..that fucking shit stick is a lunatic. Send his ass back to Canada or Cuba or somewhere the hell outta here.

WedgeX

Banned
It's like part of the US learned absolutely nothing from 2001-2008 and the tragedy and shortsightedness of Iraq.

It's fucking infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom