• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN asks What About The Children?!? as Democrats cuss while giving speeches

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawk

Banned
Lots of hypocrisy in here. It's not okay when trump uses lewd language, but in this case it's no big deal apparently.

I'm not a stickler regarding swearing, but public officials on any level should avoid it.

Lots of hypocrisy in here. It's not okay when trump uses lewd language, but in this case it's no big deal apparently.

I'm not a stickler regarding swearing, but public officials on any level should avoid it.

No one gave a shit that Trump swears. They complained that he's said morally and ethically reprehensible things. If you don't know the difference, I can't help you.

He actually doesn't even swear nearly as much as he says inane baby-talk like "tippy-top" and "super-duper".

Blader

The president of the United States is on tape bragging about grabbing women by the pussy.

I do. I think we should expect more from our politicians when they're out in public—and, yes, especially when in front of children. They should be setting examples.

How many children are going to see Tom Perez speak though

Makonero

i think lewd language is at the bottom of the pile of things that bother us about trump

are you talking about the pussy-grabbing tape? because it's not the language that bothers people, it's what the words mean when put together, namely "Trump is a serial sexual assaulter"

RPGCrazied

I do. I think we should expect more from our politicians when they're out in public—and, yes, especially when in front of children. They should be setting examples.

And Trump saying lewd things in public s ok? Dear god he has a 10 year old!

etrain911

I'm so sick of CNN and their pearl-clutching. The current fascist administration is threatening their current existence and they're out here saying "What about the kids?".

rjinaz

Lol. People complained that Trump swears BECAUSE he was complaining that others were doing it. The end.

Unless you are saying it was all just locker talk or something regarding that tape.

I don't recall anyone on GAF giving a shit that Trump used the words pussy or bitch. The problem was what he was saying with those words. The problem was his sexism and, you know, admitting to and glorifying sexual assault.

Edit:

No one gave a shit that Trump swears. They complained that he's said morally and ethically reprehensible things. If you don't know the difference, I can't help you.

He actually doesn't even swear nearly as much as he says inane baby-talk like "tippy-top" and "super-duper".

i think lewd language is at the bottom of the pile of things that bother us about trump

are you talking about the pussy-grabbing tape? because it's not the language that bothers people, it's what the words mean when put together, namely "Trump is a serial sexual assaulter"

All of the above.

But they are just words? How are children in any way hurt by hearing or using the word "fuck"

A lot worse words will be said every day at school, I guarantee

rjinaz

I mean if they are giving a speech in front of people then ok.

if they are using the word at their job while debating policies. Nah. We got bigger shit to worry about than policing how people talk because of sensibilities. It's words used for expression. Words.

And no it's not a partisan issue. I wouldn't care if Trump or Ryan did it, as long as they don't tell call others out for the same thing.

rjinaz

just words, folks

just words

loc-ker-room-tawk

You saying there is no difference between saying shit or fuck as an intensifier for expression and describing sexually assaulting women? What are you saying?

I don't give a fuck!

You can just grab them by the pussies!

Same thing obviously.

mollipen

I mean if they are giving a speech in front of people then ok.

if they are using the word at their job while debating policies. Nah. We got bigger shit to worry about than policing how people talk because of sensibilities. It's words used for expression. Words.

If you're at the point of being a politician, I'd like to hope your vocabulary is of a high enough level that you can express your feelings without the need to cuss.

And Trump saying lewd things in public s ok? Dear god he has a 10 year old!

No, it isn't?

just words, folks

just words

loc-ker-room-tawk

Admitting that you like to grope people is a lot worse than swearing. Holy shit what am I even reading.

People that are upset may have had a point if the cussing in question was gendered insults. But it's really tame stuff like "shit" and "fuck". American puritanism never ceases to amaze me

Makonero

You saying there is no difference between saying shit or fuck as an intensifier for expression and describing sexually assaulting women? What are you saying?

I don't give a fuck!

You can just grab them by the pussies!

Same thing obviously.

Admitting that you like to grope people is a lot worse than swearing. Holy shit what am I even reading.

People that are upset may have had a point if the cussing in question was gendered insults. But it's really tame stuff like "shit" and "fuck". American puritanism never ceases to amaze me

clearly i should have used /s

I was using trump's terrible justification to remind people that's exactly what he said when called out on the pussy-grabbing tape

but CNN ate that shit up didn't they?

If you're at the point of being a politician, I'd like to hope your vocabulary is of a high enough level that you can express your feelings without the need to cuss.

If the last election showed us anything, it is that a vast vocabulary is really not at all necessary to win elections, and that simple words often may be way more effective than sophisticated, polished words

clearly i should have used /s

I was using trump's terrible justification to remind people that's exactly what he said when called out on the pussy-grabbing tape

but CNN ate that shit up didn't they?

lol, you need to use way more exaggerated language and/or even more absurd points when you make a parody post (I'm an expert)

There actually people ITT topic making that very argument. It is sad.

Skatterd

Don't tell me you're one of those people who think that the reason people were offended was that Trump said pussy?

Cause if so, there's uh...some things you may want to put in perspective.

Kyzer

Banned
They made a pretty good point...one of dems most powerful ads last election was about donald Trump being inappropriate and our children are watching

I dont really care but I can understand parents disliking this.

This reminds me of having to explain, as a fucking child, to religious adults in the '90s that "bad words" on their own don't mean shit, it's the attitude and target behind it that does.

CNN's really on it. But now I'm just remembering how many fucking people were too stupid to understand what the bad part of the Trump pussy tape actually was.

Eidan

I'm sure some parents care somewhere, I do not.

Trump supporters voted for a sexual predator who is known to have walked in on underage girls as they got dressed, on a regular basis. I'd love to see them act like they care about a four letter word.

Makonero

Trump said the same thing on the campaign trail. Seems a lot of people here actually agree with him, unfortunately.

The difference is, Trump's words were not "just words." He bragged about his ability to sexually assualt women. That's a far cry from using "shit" and "fuck" as added exclamation to a sentence. Calling Trump's healthcare a "shitty" plan isn't encouraging children to grab pussies. There is a difference.

Kyzer

Banned
One hurts people and the other is just an arbitrary set of vowels and consonants

Ok so would you curse loudly in front of someones young child right now? since you think it doesn't matter and they hear worse in school anyways so that makes it ok

If you wouldnt do it then why are you defending it? Again, I dont even care but Im trying to understand how you go out of your way to defend cursing in front of children

Oh no defecation, a normal bodily activity most people engage in several times per week

Oh no, having sex, a normal bodily people most people wish they could engage in several times per week

Eidan

The difference is, Trump's words were not "just words." He bragged about his ability to sexually assualt women. That's a far cry from using "shit" and "fuck" as added exclamation to a sentence. Calling Trump's healthcare a "shitty" plan isn't encouraging children to grab pussies. There is a difference.

Correct. Do some of you think the controversy over Trump's Access Hollywood comments were because he said the word "pussy"?

rjinaz

No, it isn't?

Why. I cuss. Are you implying I'm not smart or have a limited vocabulary? I have a graduate degree. I just like to cuss when I speak. It's just a way of expression. And also as much as you'd like to think, Trump is president so obviously that's not the case.

Edit: But you know now that I think about it some, if it bothers you when people swear so be it. That's your preference. Just like theirs is to cuss to get their point across. For me, these people are deciding the fate of millions of Americans if they feel they need to swear for the point to make more of an impact, so be it. That's my thoughts but we can agree to disagree.

Ok so would you curse loudly in front of someones young child right now? since you think it doesn't matter and they hear worse in school anyways so that makes it ok

If you wouldnt do it then why are you defending it? Again, I dont even care but Im trying to understand how you go out of your way to defend cursing in front of children

I was invited to a friend for a game night this weekend. They have a nearly two year old kid. There was cursing.

Ogodei

I like it. Politicians have been too polite for too long. That's definitely part of Trump's appeal. This shit matters, and all the politicians always making these mealy-mouthed statements like they're reciting a dry press release makes me doubt that they really care about the lives that they're playing with.

That said, there's a time and a place for it. Like other linguistic flourishes, swearing only works if it fits the mood of the speech you're making. The right word for the right time.

We need to be dropping a few more cuss words in there.

The GOP wants to play the political game, but everyone cusses, and it's a vital link to the fucking morons in the shitty flyover states.

Proper use of them for emphasis can add a passionate air to your speeches, and that passion is one of many things Democrats have been...unable to include.

There's something to be said about dispassionate governance -- that passion in the wrong direction can lead to ruin -- but there's no reason why we can't sound passionate and engage in governance dispassionately.

Trump said the same thing on the campaign trail. Seems a lot of people here actually agree with him, unfortunately.
Just a few of the things Trump has said that people actually are upset about:

• 35 is "checkout time" for women
  • reducing his daughter to the phrase "a piece of ass"
  • asserting that he "grabs [women] by the pussy" without consent
  • suggesting Megyn Kelly was mad at him because she had "blood coming out of her wherever"

Things Trump has said that people don't give a fuck about:

• times he has colloquially used the word "fuck"

Kaban

I think that it's normally a bad move for a politician to swear in public. It just reeks of unprofessionalism, and there are better ways to describe situations than saying it's "shitty". Yes, Trump did it. Does that mean we must stoop to his level?

It sets a bad example for younger people. And I say that as a person who swears like a sailor. Save it for a casual setting.

rjinaz

We need to be dropping a few more cuss words in there.

The GOP wants to play the political game, but everyone cusses, and it's a vital link to the fucking morons in the shitty flyover states.

Proper use of them for emphasis can add a passionate air to your speeches, and that passion is one of many things Democrats have been...unable to include.

There's something to be said about dispassionate governance -- that passion in the wrong direction can lead to ruin -- but there's no reason why we can't sound passionate and engage in governance dispassionately.

I mean when you really think about it's just so silly. They are words and have no real meaning but people don't want to hear them or think others should not use them. Shit, fuck, ass. Words.

Now words like rape or retard, they certainly are offensive when used in certain ways so I can totally understand why people care about those words being used. They matter.

Makonero

Just a few of the things Trump has said that people actually are upset about:

• 35 is "checkout time" for women
  • reducing his daughter to the phrase "a piece of ass"
  • asserting that he "grabs [women] by the pussy" without consent
  • suggesting Megyn Kelly was mad at him because she had "blood coming out of her wherever"

Things Trump has said that people don't give a fuck about:

• times he has colloquially used the word "fuck"

but they're all just words
loc-ker-room-tawk

the president said it, it must be true

/s

rjinaz

I think that it's normally a bad move for a politician to swear in public. It just reeks of unprofessionalism, and there are better ways to describe situations than saying it's "shitty". Yes, Trump did it. Does that mean we must stoop to his level?

It sets a bad example for younger people. And I say that as a person who swears like a sailor. Save it for a casual setting.

The things Republicans say are offensive to me and harmful to Americans. They say them daily and make a lot of money doing it. Maybe that's why I just don't care about politicians using swear words. I think that's where I am coming from anyway.

KodaRuss

Not sure why there are so many here is defending this and saying it is alright. If you are swearing in a speech and you are any sort of public figure then I have a pretty low opinion of you regardless of who you are or what party you represent.

You should not need to use this language to get your point across if you are a halfway decent speaker.

rjinaz

Not sure why there are so many here is defending this and saying it is alright. If you are swearing in a speech and you are any sort of public figure then I have a pretty low opinion of you regardless of who you are or what party you represent.

You should not need to use this language to get your point across if you are a halfway decent speaker.

A lot of time it's during a debate, when words are heated and a point is trying to be made. It's not an address to the masses. But I think we'll have to agree to disagree that the words matter or make you seem less smart. I care much more about the policies you are trying to make that it wouldn't even register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom