• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN asks What About The Children?!? as Democrats cuss while giving speeches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

What makes this ok? Why should we accept this?

Its not a way I believe any public official (President or Kristen Gillibrand etc.) should be conducting themselves when talking to the public.

That is fine if it isnt offensive to you personally but if you are trying to get support or votes on your side this is not the way to do it.

so this is the kind of politics you want

bKgJU.jpg

good to know

Iksenpets

Banned
The last vestiges of our cultural taboos on obscenity are going to be the first victim of the Trump years. Hard to tell people not to drop the occasional F-bomb when there's a fascist vulgarian in the White House who talks about Mexican rapists, grabbing pussies, and bragging about his yuge dick.

It clearly didn't matter enough to hurt him, despite his base of old conservatives supposedly being the most sensitive to that stuff, and outraged liberals now demand constant displays of outrage from their representatives, and cursing fills that role.

Lord Fagan

This is how people talk. Politicians are getting real to the fact that a lot of people are turned off by institutions that want to try and tell them, adults, how to talk.

Besides, millennials think it's legit.

fantomena

Politics in general needs more swearing.

And btw, if we should think about children so much, they need to be banned from using the Internet.

RPGCrazied

I still find it hilarious they will complain about this after that election we just had. Were they not paying attention to that? That was some vile shit, and I'm sure children watched it.

...Really? And I suppose "grab them by the pussy" or "I moved on her like a bitch" or "I did try to fuck her" are perfectly acceptable.

Brewmont

Banned
I still find it hilarious they will complain about this after that election we just had. Were they not paying attention to that? That was some vile shit, and I'm sure children watched it.

Or it's just an obvious clickbait article, and nobody at CNN actually cares.

Makonero

Apparently when Democrats do it its evil, when Republicans do it its overlooked.

more like

when tommy the younger brother does it it's expected because he's young and dumb

when johnny the older brother does it, it's wrong and shameful and he should know better

basically different standards because more is expected out of the competent political party than the one that just elected a sexually assaulting con man reality tv show septuagenarian who can't stop watching cnn

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nope, not at all.

You're joking right? Swearing can be an incredible "exclamation point" when used at the right time for the right reasons. Just doing it over and over again isn't but some of the greatest lines and sayings out there have a perfectly added swear word.

My only worry is that if we normalise bad language in front of children, then it will lessen the impact of those words when used between adults.

What if they just cease to be bad words?

I don't want to have to come up with new swear words!

tbm24

CNN went apeshit about that, in what way other than reaction shots, and some mouth-breather on the panel being a hypocrite?
Which is about what they did here, though albeit in a much shorter segment and likely won't be on the news tomorrow.

If nothing else, that access Hollywood tape got the coverage it deserved. Just turned out the greater voting public didn't care/likely would want to do the same.

Makonero

My only worry is that if we normalise bad language in front of children, then it will lessen the impact of those words when used between adults.

shut your freelping mouth

rjinaz

I mean kids learn the words as long as they are around others kids, that's the thing. Public schools especially. My niece and nephew know swear words and have for years even though they are only 10 and 13 because of that reason. But they know not to use them.

Funny thing is, if people just let other swear, the words would lose their effect. Like nobody would swear anyway because they would just be words. But then I guess new words would be invented just so there could be "forbidden" words.

Anyway I was in a bad mood earlier so sorry if I came across strong to some of the posters in here. If you don't like swearing or think it's crass, that's cool.

zethren

Banned
Fuck you, CNN. If trump didn't get crucified for classic trumpisms like "grab em by the pussy", you can seriously go shove it.

blamite

👏🏼 LET 👏🏼 OBAMA 👏🏼 SAY 👏🏼 "FUCK" 👏🏼

Makonero

There's also a difference in messaging between the shit Trump was doing, and what these Democrats are.

I mean, I've said as much in this thread. People who can't see that are quite frankly too biased to be seeing much of anything.

You sound like someone who wants to ruin Barack's legacy and make Michelle cry.

I'm not the one attempting to systematically tear down that legacy piece by piece. I want to win against those that are.

Flai

Apparently when Democrats do it its evil, when Republicans do it its overlooked.

You really think that media, politicians (from both sides) and people "overlooked" the "grab them by the pussy" scandal? Really?

And also, to many of you in this thread who are dragging Trump into this. Do you hold the democrats to the same standards as Trump? If Trump does something, is it okay from Democrat politicians to do it as well?

What makes this ok? Why should we accept this?

Its not a way I believe any public official (President or Kristen Gillibrand etc.) should be conducting themselves when talking to the public.

That is fine if it isnt offensive to you personally but if you are trying to get support or votes on your side this is not the way to do it.
The way to get votes on your side is to do what people want. This is your opinion and the way you vote, but I don't think you'll find as many people who agree as you assume. There isn't a formal method to presenting oneself as a politician, that's just you assuming adults have ever had our shit together. Read more history (or just watch CSPAN sometimes)!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What sane parent would let his children watch CNN these days? Or most of the news channels.

They are actively giving the spotlight to fascists, "cuss" would be the last of worries in terms of the bad things children would learn from CNN.

Kyzer

Banned
Fuck you, CNN. If trump didn't get crucified for classic trumpisms like "grab em by the pussy", you can seriously go shove it.

Trump: I wanna garb em by the pussy

Democrats: What the fuck?

CNN: democrats are bad for our children.

...Really? And I suppose "grab them by the pussy" or "I moved on her like a bitch" or "I did try to fuck her" are perfectly acceptable.

Where was everyone in this thread during the elections ? Under a rock?

It's not classy that's for sure.
Trump does it, but it's Trump, he is the complete opposite of a professional/outsider and has proved it time and time again.

If there are 6 people on stage and 5 of them are cursing trying to sound edgy and relatable, I'm going to vote for the person that didn't sound like someone who is losing their cool.

I don't think you are remembering what happened last fall. People weren't "cool with it", there were weeks of media coverage, multiple Republican politicans denounced Trump and even withdrew support.

You know, I swear a lot, but I don't think that it sets a good example that politicians start to swear. Like, why do it? It doesn't make your words to have any stronger meaning.

If nothing else, it feels more honest. Because when I look at politics, I see a fucking mess.

Kyzer

Banned
"I like him because he tells it like it is, and isnt worried about being politically correct. Who cares if kids hear, they shouldnt be bringing their kids to political rallies, and they probably hesr worse on youtube anyways."

Weve come a long way from election season huh

Kyzer

Banned
Trump has clearly already impacted the bar for politics and instead of demanding it be raised we are going to just wrestle in the mud with him.

Obama told us to go high and instead of acknowledging that perez made a mistake people are going out of their way to explain why its okay to cuss in front of peoples kids, and pointing to Trump grabbing pussy asking "how come he gets to do it???". Must be CNNs fault, m i rite. Nevermind that one of the most powerful election ads was children watching trump tell china to fuck themselves and saying our kids are watching, we off that. Fuck the kids. We are looking for our own version of Trump now, and defending politicans rights to tell it how it is. Who lets their kids listen to politics anyways? Theyre politicians not role models or leaders. Right?

I mean come on guys. I understand him cursing is not the end of the world, not as bad as Trump, or even THAT big a deal in general. But when the conversation goes there, going out of your way to defend it? Kinda silly. If you wouldnt go up to a parent walking with their kids right now and curse in front of them then you shouldnt be defending it or coming up with reasons why its ok. That you think they probably hear worse on youtube or at school anyways, any of that bullshit. Its not up to you. And if you would do that, then youre an asshole and need to understand why.

Whoops double post!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
"I like him because he tells it like it is, and isnt worried about being politically correct. Who cares if kids hear, they shouldnt be bringing their kids to political rallies, and they probably hesr worse on youtube anyways."

Weve come a long way from election season huh

I think shrugging off sexual assault, painting minorities as monsters or lay abouts, lying through his teeth and being rewarded for it and so on and so forth to be far more detrimental to see than hearing the word fuck or shit a few times.

RPGCrazied

Another tidbit is the CEO of CNN is a Trumper. And there is a story out there how Trump fixed CNN ratings problem and how they see politics like sports games.

You can see why they do this kind of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom