• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN asks What About The Children?!? as Democrats cuss while giving speeches

Status
Not open for further replies.
98ofaIGgks0Lr2J95Xc0NKEjzV94GLyU-qctiEprNd2524Wn_itqe3Logxk9wkrfs84AoSveqcIJpArFZLiS42TCtWmMJD662Px6yv7_Q5bf4Ldgk7tCACuUqSiupcgL7vdH7DFD

Monocle

Oh noes, kids might hear a bad word.

Oh noooooooooes, I might have to parent my own child for ten seconds and explain what coarse language is!

Somebody save me from educating my own kid.

The children hear worse on youtube everyday.
Outrageous! We need to shut down all of those tubes!

Not sure why there are so many here is defending this and saying it is alright. If you are swearing in a speech and you are any sort of public figure then I have a pretty low opinion of you regardless of who you are or what party you represent.

You should not need to use this language to get your point across if you are a halfway decent speaker.

Appealing to people's emotions, appearing to be one of the rest, is how you gain sympathy these days. Maybe it is beneath a presidential candidate to swear. Maybe if you're giving a speech in a scientific conference, or representing a company, you should avoid, if only because others will stupidly feel less of you otherwise. But for lower-level politicians, who gives a shit?

Man, what hypocrites. Trump says stuff like "Grab them by the pussy." and thats cool. Democrats says "shitty" and suddenly the republicans have rediscovered their desire to keep american families "clean". I know, this was given in a speech, and the other saying was on a leaked recording. They're both still public, and anyone can go listen to either one, so trying to argue that point is just silly.

Kyzer

Banned
Man, what hypocrites. Trump says stuff like "Grab them by the pussy." and thats cool. Democrats says "shitty" and suddenly the republicans have rediscovered their desire to keep american families "clean". I know, this was given in a speech, and the other saying was on a leaked recording. They're both still public, and anyone can go listen to either one, so trying to argue that point is just silly.

Trump cursed publicly plenty of times. And was vulgar in all sorts of ways. Shooting people on 5th ave, reminiscing on the violent days of protestors being out in stretchers, etc.

https://youtu.be/mrX3Ql31URA

Kaban

The things Republicans say are offensive to me and harmful to Americans. They say them daily and make a lot of money doing it. Maybe that's why I just don't care about politicians using swear words. I think that's where I am coming from anyway.

I totally agree with that sentiment. I just fear that too much swearing in politics will create another generation of asshole politicians. I really want to believe that decency and class can come back into the political fold. It's why I liked Obama so much. The guy never went blue. (OK, he called Kanye a jackass)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wish more politicians cursed out loud and not just yelling the N word. I think a well used curse word can really add a great exclamation to what's being said.

Kyzer

Banned
The worst thing about Trump barring any catastrophes or fascism, will be his terrible impact upon politics. The whole last election was trying to make a mockery of him being a buffoon. The next election will be a contest to see who can be the biggest buffoon.

rjinaz

There are certain things that have just become socially unacceptable even if they don't make much sense. Like swearing, or women not being able to go topless. Centuries of aversion and I guess it's hard for society to overcome it or challenge it, even when there is literally no harm.

I totally agree with that sentiment. I just fear that too much swearing in politics will create another generation of asshole politicians. I really want to believe that decency and class can come back into the political fold. It's why I liked Obama so much. The guy never went blue. (OK, he called Kanye a jackass)

Does swearing make you into an asshole?

Like I had a good start in life. It looked like I would turn into a pretty decent person. But one day, I started cursing. That was the beginning of the end. From there it was all downhill.

Not sure why there are so many here is defending this and saying it is alright. If you are swearing in a speech and you are any sort of public figure then I have a pretty low opinion of you regardless of who you are or what party you represent.

You should not need to use this language to get your point across if you are a halfway decent speaker.
Why? I see no "why" here.

Kyzer

Banned

Swearing is absolutely unprofessional, at the very least. People saying at least Trump is a good business man are laughable because anyone who speaks like that will not be taken seriously by anyone. You cant talk like that in any business other than construction.

I guess thats the thing about politics, they can be professional to the point of seeming robotic or inhuman. People do like seeing emotion and non-polititiciannness

Flai

Man, what hypocrites. Trump says stuff like "Grab them by the pussy." and thats cool. Democrats says "shitty" and suddenly the republicans have rediscovered their desire to keep american families "clean".

I don't think you are remembering what happened last fall. People weren't "cool with it", there were weeks of media coverage, multiple Republican politicans denounced Trump and even withdrew support.

You know, I swear a lot, but I don't think that it sets a good example that politicians start to swear. Like, why do it? It doesn't make your words to have any stronger meaning.

besada

Banned
Yes, I'm deeply worried about all the children who spend so much time watching and listening to political speeches that they'll pick up bad habits. This epidemic of children getting invested in politics at an early age is truly the scourge of our times.

Donald Trump is president. If he is ok for kids to look up to as the leader of the free world, who gives a shit about the cursing. Seriously CNN, do better.

Trump cursed publicly plenty of times. And was vulgar in all sorts of ways. Shooting people on 5th ave, reminiscing on the violent days of protestors being out in stretchers, etc.

https://youtu.be/mrX3Ql31URA

There are certain things that have just become socially unacceptable even if they don't make much sense. Like swearing, or women not being able to go topless. Centuries of aversion and I guess it's hard for society to overcome it or challenge it, even when there is literally no harm.

You both make really good points, and add to mine. I get frustrated at this back, and forth between groups centered around stuff that doesnt really matter. The outrage is backed by this idea that morals and values are important (they are), and that each party has a seprete set of morals and values. So given that difference people rally behind one or the other and say that the other are bad people. Its like someone else in this thread said, these kids hear worse on YouTube everyday. I've been in grocery stores and have heard adults cussing around young kids. This one word in this one speech does not matter. What matters is how a child interpret the meaning and context of not only cuss words but all words. And I feel like bickering about this perceived slight agianst another group's values is detracting from some real issues. If we want to discuss the future welfare of our children we should be talking about socioeconomic inequalites and how that affects their development. We should be talking about global warming, and the importance of treating our world with respect. And while having these conversations and taking actions on these issues we would be doing a better job of teaching kids about values than just saying cussing is bad

Kaban

In politics, I think it does. It's more contextual that that obviously, but if you're going to convince voters to come to your side, especially parents, maybe swearing isn't the most palatable of strategies.

And if swearing becomes the standard approach in American politics, then I'm afraid the US is just going to become dumber, and political discourse will deteriorate even further than usual. I know it's bad now, but I believe it has room to get a lot worse.

RDreamer

Swearing is so strange in this country. It doesn't phase me at all, and I don't mind hearing it. Get into an argument with some right wing person, though, and use a swear word and you'd swear their pure lily white ears had never heard something so crazy. The conversation is instantly over and you can never talk about what you were talking about again. And that's after using it in a pretty benign way.

And yet those people voted for Trump. I don't get it.

This is also why I probably couldn't be a politician. I swear a lot.

Donald Trump is president. If he is ok for kids to look up to as the leader of the free world, who gives a shit about the cursing. Seriously CNN, do better.

Elections have consequences. We can't call anyone else on their language after voting in Trump. That's officially done.

Did these Democrats say this stuff while giving speeches in middle schools? Are children known for flocking to political speeches in droves?

No?

Then shut the fuck up, CNN.

You know, I swear a lot, but I don't think that it sets a good example that politicians start to swear. Like, why do it? It doesn't make your words to have any stronger meaning.

A well-timed curse can add a lot of meaning. Every time you start up the original. Nier, the following plays before the "press Start" screen (followed by a trailer which spoils a bunch of bosses, but which is not included in this link)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqq3JE9kAU

Can you really watch that and say that the surprise caused by the swearing doesn't make it more interesting? Imagine starting up the game for the first time, having no clue what is coming. It will stick with you

Yes, I made this post just as an excuse to post that link. Lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Swearing is absolutely unprofessional, at the very least. People saying at least Trump is a good business man are laughable because anyone who speaks like that will not be taken seriously by anyone. You cant talk like that in any business other than construction.

You obviously never worked in the entertainment industry.

I have three degrees and this story endeared me to everyone mentioned in it. Ordinary Americans are staring into the abyss and the GOP is busy trying to shove them in. Democrats communicating anger with regards to what is happening is a good sign that they actually give a damn. Keep showing genuine passion like this, I like it.

Dems would probably be better off with a bench of talented young people rather than cursing boomers.. but I see what they're going for here.

I have three degrees and this story endeared me to everyone mentioned in it. Ordinary Americans are staring into the abyss and the GOP is busy trying to shove them in. Democrats communicating anger with regards to what is happening is a good sign that they actually give a damn. Keep showing genuine passion like this, I like it.

Exactly

I've been swearing more too. I think that's the natural result of the state of the government and the humans in this country that wanted it that way. What the fuck is wrong with you, America?

Also, who cares?

Doesn't finance have a shitton of swearing?

Along with a lot of cocaine, of course.

And the military has some too.

As in, why should it be ok for our public officials to curse when they are addressing the public?

I think we have all seen this movie and laugh but this is just another step towards it.
Idiocracy is your argument?

Thomas Jefferson profited from slave labor long after writing "all men are created equal," and you're worried about Kristen Gillibrand saying "shit"? Not that I don't understand where you're coming from in the context of modern manners, but let's not put the government on some sort of pedestal. Reality has long been worse than an imagined consumerist dystopia.

.JayZii

Banned
Shit is like the most mundane swear word. I'm surprised in even registers a blip on peoples radar.
I highly doubt it registered on any of those children's radar.
Obviously. I know that. But why "cuss" as opposed to curse
The same reason why any words change over time or regional accents form. A slight change in pronunciation over time that eventually becomes adopted into everyday speech.

eagledare

I guess thats the thing about politics, they can be professional to the point of seeming robotic or inhuman. People do like seeing emotion and non-polititiciannness

Apparently you've never been in a board room. I've known several accomplished C-level executives worth millions to drop the F-bomb in front of people they've just met (who succeeded through their own efforts, not by inheriting daddy's cash, like Trump). Yes it is "unprofessional", but to say if you swear you won't be taken seriously in business is flat out wrong. Your accomplishments and your money dictate how people treat you in business, not your swearing habits or lack thereof.

Edit:typos

Lucumo

I wish more politicians cursed out loud and not just yelling the N word. I think a well used curse word can really add a great exclamation to what's being said.

Nope, not at all.

Like I had a good start in life. It looked like I would turn into a pretty decent person. But one day, I started cursing. That was the beginning of the end. From there it was all downhill.
That explains everything.

KodaRuss

Idiocracy is your argument?

Thomas Jefferson profited from slave labor long after writing "all men are created equal," and you're worried about Kristen Gillibrand saying "shit"? Not that I don't understand where you're coming from in the context of modern manners, but let's not put the presidency on some sort of pedestal.

What makes this ok? Why should we accept this?

Its not a way I believe any public official (President or Kristen Gillibrand etc.) should be conducting themselves when talking to the public.

That is fine if it isnt offensive to you personally but if you are trying to get support or votes on your side this is not the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom