• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN asks What About The Children?!? as Democrats cuss while giving speeches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the NY Times provided a great quote last week for the people thinking politicians cursing is some new, unacceptable thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/books/review/george-w-bush-portraits-of-courage.html

As a cub reporter in 1967, Richard Cohen (now a political columnist for The Washington Post) covered an exhibition of Dwight D. Eisenhower's paintings and asked the former president about their symbolism.

”Let's get something straight here, Cohen," Ike snapped. ”They would have burned this [expletive] a long time ago if I weren't the president of the United States."

Also, from 2010:

WTF Did Biden Just Say? A brief history of bad language in Washington.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2010/03/wtf_did_biden_just_say.html

For the people for whom this is new: this is why reading is important before forming opinions on your unchallenged gut feelings.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think shrugging off sexual assault, painting minorities as monsters or lay abouts, lying through his teeth and being rewarded for it and so on and so forth to be far more detrimental to see than hearing the word fuck or shit a few times.
^

rpmurphy

The children can learn that the world of politics involves worst scum of the earth trying their best to wrest affordable education, healthcare, and any semblance of economic opportunity away from their generation. The cursing has a reasonable role in this world.

Joe T.

Glad the NY Times provided a great quote last week for the people thinking politicians cursing is some new, unacceptable thing.

It's not that using profanity is new or unacceptable - that's a ridiculous claim - but that it was done on a stage with children. Remove them from the equation and this wouldn't have been a story at all or at least it would have been framed differently, i.e. "Not Your Mommy's Democrats" or some other, equally silly headline.

Have those kids probably heard worse already? Very likely. Does that mean we should stop caring and freely use profanity around them at all times? I would hope not. That's the only issue here, as I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom