• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hectic brawler Gang Beasts is getting online multiplayer

Maligna

Banned
This is supposed to come to PS4 too. When the heck is that happening? I've been waiting forever. I thought they had Double Fine publishing it now.

Hopefully this will be a trend. There are so many of these brawler type games out there that look amazing but only support local multiplayer which pretty much eliminates me from ever buying them.

Hasney

Online is out, but I'd still recommend trying to only play with friends of you can find an empty server. It just isn't that fun with silent random tryhards.

And why they picked Truck as an online map I'll never know. People just go to the front or back and try and hide while everyone else quits for another server.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS

Online multiplayer for these games is so appreciated man.. Now if only we could get Nintendo to give us online multiplayer for Mario Party, co-op experiences like Pikmin, etc. Not that the things are related, but there are so many fun multiplayer experiences out there that lack decent online functionality.

EDIT:
Disagree.

This game really excels at being a game where you play and freak out alongside your friends. Unsure if it's an experience that can be replicated in an online environment.
This is a bizarre opinion. Why do you think online gaming is so popular? Because of experiences like this.

PFD

just fyi ~300 people are playing the game 18 months after release (roughly 33% more players than Evolve, which released around the same time and had maybe 100 times the budget and manpower) and it's sold 250,000 copies at $20 (never discounted below 33% off) so they've made maybe around $3 million off their dumb fucking idea up until this point. also the developer has 3 employees and they're brothers so their costs are probably a rounding error.

The game was featured in a humble bundle at one point. At least that's how I got it

ArjanN

Somebody on the dev team finally realized offline co-op only games these days is a dumb fucking idea

I shake my head like *what the fuck were you thinking* every time of these games comes out with offline only.

A large demographic for these games are towards adults who remember couch co-op when they were kids but when you are an adult it gets harder to get everyone at the same place at the same time when your gaming time is highly limited.

You guys realize that developers already know this right? They don't just choose not to have it for shits and giggles. It's just that for an indie developer that's actually a pretty hard thing to include. Lots of extra coding/testing involved and even bigger developers don't get online play right half the time.

Sorry to somewhat revive friend, but is there a GAF community at all that plays this game or others for fun? For the life of me most of my friends don't wanna play silly fun multiplayer games.

Hopefully this will be a trend. There are so many of these brawler type games out there that look amazing but only support local multiplayer which pretty much eliminates me from ever buying them.

I agree. More games need online multiplayer!

Btw, - not a brawler, but I am stoked that LEGO Worlds (Lego Minecraft game) is also getting multiplayer! It seems limited at the moment but it also seems they will grow it!

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to make a new thread for the this (hilarious) PS4 version video made by PlayStation Access:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg36XS_Gw1s

Looks like a fun game to play locally with friends (if you can overlook the graphics and the physics engine).

Yes, I was watching this earlier while eating lunch and had a good laugh a few times. Looks like a lot of fun, although I rarely play games with anyone these days so the inclusion of online multiplayer would certainly be a boon as far as I'm concerned.

xrnzaaas

what? the latter is basically the game.

Yeah but in the video the engine goes haywire more than once. Also, I know they were learning the controls on the fly, but it still felt like their characters were reacting to some inputs totally on random.

I hope this doesn't take an absurd amount of time to develop. I really want the game to have more/better levels, skins, and more polish.

I bought the game recently and it's weird watching old footage that has levels and character skins that aren't in the current game, along with a tutorial.

Yeah. At some point, it's like the reset the game and it was worse for it. I really think this game is fun, but it infuriates me that development seems to stall beyond 'make sure it's not completely broken'.

Like what are they doing selling an unfinished games on other platforms? The game has been in development for years and it's virtually the same product at a higher price as it was when it first was available.

Early access is ethically questionable. Clearly Ark and Gang Beasts have made far and away more money on this game being unfinished for 2 or 3 years than if they just released a finished game at one point in time.

Top Bottom