• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best GTX 1070 in the market?

Ostinatto

im gonna buy one this week, so GAF, which one is the best out there? i don't mind the price, i just wanna know which one is the most powerfull overall.

thanks.

Honestly aside from EVGA due to some Overheating issues right right now you can't really go wrong.

The MSI gaming 1070 I have is phenomenal, overclocks amazingly.

But it sounds like the Asus Strix is good.

Gigabyte are also great. G1 or Windforce.

KageMaru

You can't go wrong with MSi, Gigabyte, or Strix.

I have a Gigabyte G1 and I love it.

Just stay away from the blower style coolers if you can.

Revas

If I could do it again (I bought an EVGA FTW), I'd probably go for the Zotac Amped, or Palit Jetstream if you can get one of those.

How is the Asus Turbo? It doesn't seem to be anywhere near as popular as the ROG version, but I'm thinking of picking one up because they're $100 (Australian) cheaper. Any reason to avoid?

Justinh

Damn, I just bought an EVGA a few months ago.

I think they released a bios update which should help the cooling, and if you... hold on

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

You can request a thermal pad kit for additional "optional cooling" or use your warranty to have it replaced with a newer fixed model the way it sounds.
Any customer who is not comfortable performing the recommended VBIOS update, may request a warranty cross-shipment* to exchange the product to EVGA for an updated replacement.

I'm still getting an FTW 1080

OneUh8

Had no idea about cooling issies. I have a near launch 1070 SC and it rarely hits any higher than 60c with my fan curve. mostly in the 50s. wonder if I should even worry about it.

Justinh

I haven't had any heat issues. If something screwy happens surely evga will just replace it right?

That's what it sounds like in their FAQ there. I've never had any issues with EVGA before, but from what I understood, EVGA has great customer service.

I'd still do the VBIOS update, though if your card is in that list.

That's what it sounds like in their FAQ there. I've never had any issues with EVGA before, but from what I understood, EVGA has great customer service.

I'd still do the VBIOS update, though if your card is listed in that list.
Vbios update, was it that update a few weeks ago that also fixed the micron memory thing?

I chose evga strictly because of the fact that they're an American company.

I haven't had any heat issues. If something screwy happens surely evga will just replace it right?

Had no idea about cooling issies. I have a near launch 1070 SC and it rarely hits any higher than 60c with my fan curve. mostly in the 50s. wonder if I should even worry about it.

i believe its just the ftw edition that's heating up, i have the superclocked one and it's fine since launch

You guys need to monitor VRM temperatures, not the GPU core. "Haven't had any issues yet" doesn't mean you're safe.

The VRMs are what are blowing up after a certain amount of time since the EVGA ACX 3.0 models don't have any sort of cooling on them. The vBIOS update MAY alleviate the issue, but it's basically a bandaid fix since it's simply some additional airflow to them. You're much safer getting a replacement or installing the thermal pads.

This also affects every EVGA model with the ACX 3.0 cooler, not just the FTW edition.

You guys need to monitor VRM temperatures, not the GPU core. "Haven't had any issues yet" doesn't mean you're safe.

The VRMs are what are blowing up after a certain amount of time since the EVGA models don't have any sort of cooling on them. The vBIOS update MAY alleviate the issue, but it's basically a bandaid fix since it's simply some additional airflow to them. You're much safer getting a replacement or installing the thermal pads.
I guess I can do a switch at some point near finals week when I'm not using it.

Espada

The Superclocked 1070 isn't the one with the problem, it's the FTW ones that are fucking up.

Kyoufu

I bought the EVGA FTW edition in September. It's been running fine since but now this thread has got me worried.

Justinh

The Superclocked 1070 isn't the one with the problem, it's the FTW ones that are fucking up.
--------- V
This also affects every EVGA model with the ACX 3.0 cooler, not just the FTW edition.

DbucTPQ.jpg

Espada

From the thermal images, Guru3d concluded that the SC edition has the same potential problems on the VRM area as the FTW. http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-ftw-1080-and-1070-have-overheating-issues.html

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC vs ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX Gaming

I think is better install that thermal pads on the SC and not take risks

Well, damn. Looks like I'm shit out of luck because I'm not in a position to replace pads or ship the card to EVGA.

The Fakest of Edits: According to that Guru3D article, the thermal pads are for 1080/1070 owners with the ACX 3.0 cooler and a backplate. My 1070 (from Newegg) doesn't have a backplate. Will they still send me the pads if I ask?

Yeah, I can't wait to have to pull my 1070 out of my case (which was a pain because it just barely fit) to apply the fucking pads that should've been there in the first place. Glad I've generally had a custom fan curve since I got the card a month ago. I knew I should've held off longer. I'm half tempted to just do the cross RMA just to see if I end up with a replacement that's at least more of a silicon lottery winner but it'd probably just be a refurbished card that's worse. >_>

Vbios update, was it that update a few weeks ago that also fixed the micron memory thing?

I chose evga strictly because of the fact that they're an American company.
No, they're releasing or have released a new VBIOS update to change the default fan curve of all ACX 3.0 cards.

Primarily but this also involves all 10 series cards that use EVGA's coolers and not just their cards with custom PCBs because for whatever reason no thermal pads were placed where they needed to be and should have been just like the cards from other companies.

I got the super clocked one. What do I need to do? They will ship me something?

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/

Do not buy a Gigabyte 1070 at all right now, because of this: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ma...-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue,12.html

Essentially there is an issue with Micron-manufactured memory on 1070s made in the last few months, where the memory has issues with voltage changes.

What happens is that whenever the memory clocks to speeds required for gaming from a low power state, you will get severe artifacting appearing in a checkerboard pattern, which will end up in either a driver crash or a BSOD.

This normally applies to situations where you overclock the memory, though some have reported this happening even on stock speeds.

Where Gigabyte factor into this is that NVIDIA are working with vendors to fix the issue via BIOS updates. Everyone is working on a new BIOS...except Gigabyte. They refuse to acknowledge that the issue happens on their cards with Micron memory when users show it clearly does.

If you buy a new 1070 these days, you will almost certainly end up with Micron memory. Samsung memory, which features in all early made 1070s, are now rare and do not have any issues.

Top Bottom