• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colony – Season 2 |OT| Do Anything It Takes To Survive in Alien Occupied Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

p2ivVd6.jpg

Season two of Colony premieres Thursday, January 12th at 10pm eastern on USA Network.

In the wake of a mysterious alien invasion, a family fights to stay together in a new world order. When USA Network’s critically acclaimed series COLONY returns for Season 2, alien intelligence are still in control of a near-future Los Angeles. In an effort to get their son back, Will (Josh Holloway) has been cooperating with the Collaborators and now knows about his wife Katie’s (Sarah Wayne Callies) alliance with the Resistance. With her secret out and finding themselves on opposite sides of the battle, have they jeopardized any hope of reuniting their family?

Want a recap of season one?
USA has one for you right here!
Also, A guide to the S2 premiere.

Cast:

Dshk1uA.png

Josh Holloway as Will Bowman
Sarah Wayne Callies as Katie Bowman

O4Ij6my.png

Peter Jacobson as Alan Snyder
Amanda Righetti as Madeline Kenner
Tory Kittles as Broussard

Smtu6sS.png

Adrian Pasdar as Nolan Burgess
Kathleen Rose Perkins as Jennifer McMahon

2KybNXg.png

Alexander Neustaedter as Bram Bowman
Isabella Crovetti as Grace Bowman
Jacob Buster as Charlie Bowman

Media
Season 2 trailer
Season 2 trailer #2
"Survive" promo
"The Darkest Hour" promo

Colony's back! Looking forward to the second season. Thanks for the new thread, Sober. I have a bunch of links to interviews and whatnot that I'll post tomorrow.

Sober

Apparently the S2 premiere is a good place for newcomers to jump in on. Gonna see if my girlfriend wants to start from there.

Ive only seen the premiere, did this get good. It seemed okay. Only asking because I acoid these shows unless it's worth the investment these days. I just dont have time to give a show ten episodes to decide if I will like it.

The show sounds a lot like V.

Loved Josh Holloway on LOST.

Geist-

How violent is this show?

Do the aliens look like humans or like monsters?
Not too violent, it's mostly espionage and counter-espionage.

As far as aliens are mostly robot drones. We haven't really got a good look at the actual aliens beyond them being humanoid.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Nice, had no idea season 2 was today already. Fantastic start of my day, season 1 was probably my favorite new show last year.

Season premiere tonight:
Eleven.Thirteen

Will and Katie try to keep their family together in the changing city; Broussard returns home; Snyder receives a job offer from a mysterious organization.

- Sarah Wayne Callies previews Season 2 of Colony
Fred Topel for Rotten Tomatoes: Has it been exciting to open up the world of Colony in season 2?

Sarah Wayne Callies: It’s been amazing, actually. I don’t actually think I’ve ever been a part of a show or even necessarily seen one that’s gotten so much stronger from season 1 to 2. Usually season 1, you’ve got all these great ideas, and in season 2, you just spend your whole time setting up season 3. It’s been incredible. This year we’ve gone outside of the L.A. colony. We’ve gone outside of L.A. block. I think there’s a much larger sense of the context that these people are living in that you get through the course of the second season.
- Carlton Cuse on S2
RT: Are you increasing the alien technology of the Raps?

Cuse: We definitely are embracing the science fiction aspect of the show much more in season 2. There’s more surveillance, there’s more about the drones. There’s efforts to use this gauntlet that was stolen at the end of season 1 and try to figure out what they can do with that and what its power is.

RT: Might we see any living Raps since we saw a dead one?

Cuse: You might. In the second season, we feel a little bit more comfortable exploring the interaction between humans and the aliens, but it’s still not a lot. What really interests us is the propensity of humans to subjugate each other. What are the relationships that people have with each other when they’re trying to survive in a world where the traditional set of rules is no longer in place? That, narratively, is more fascinating to us than humans literally battling aliens in a direct fashion.

RT: Is the resistance becoming even more violent?

Cuse: Yeah, for sure. The extremism is getting ramped up on both sides. We wanted to start with the world being a little more mellow, where there was almost a sense of “we can accommodate this event.” In season 2, we start to realize the denial of the serious magnitude of what’s happened is a very dangerous thing. The characters begin to acknowledge and accept that they’re in a very dire predicament. Then they’ve got to figure out “What, if anything, can we do about it?”

Completely forgot about this show, seems like it was ages ago. Surprised it wasn't cancelled! Thanks for the reminder thread, I'll have to catch up on what happened at the end.

Cuse is currently working on Colony, The Strain, Bates Motel along with Jack Ryan and writing the Rampage screenplay, so he's not very involved with Colony these days. Condal is the creator of Colony and Cuse was attached as an EP to lend some heft to it and help develop the concept since Condal is a first-time showrunner.

AoM

Great first episode.

I understand why they didn't start with it, but anyone else think more people would have gotten into the show if that had been the pilot? I guess I just wish more people were watching lol.

- Onion A|V Club review
- Promo for this season (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- THR: Carlton Cuse on Season 2 "Reset" and Letting Its "Sci-Fi Freak Flag Fly"
How was it decided to set the season premiere on the day of the invasion?

My awesome partner Ryan Condal and I spent a lot of time talking about what we would want to see in a first episode of the second season. Fundamentally, it was really important to us that this show not be perceived as a mystery show. There are a lot of unanswered questions, but that's not what the show's about. It's about this family struggling to survive in a world where the game board has been turned upside down. It felt like a lot of people were asking questions about the arrival, so let's just show what happened. It felt like the right thing to do. It was a good reset. It also felt like a good way to create an entry point into the show for people who maybe didn't watch season one. I think the current technology in television has created a pervasive anxiety among viewers, which is you have to watch every episode of a show to engage with it. That's not always the way television was. When there was just linear television, you could cruise around. I remember somebody telling me at ABC once that by their measure, a regular and loyal Lost viewer watched two out of every four episodes.

Those viewers must have been very confused.

I know! Or maybe they were super smart. But we wanted to make it possible for you to start Colony in season two. Is it a richer experience if you have watched season one? Sure! But you can drop into this show starting with season two and get hooked. That was something that was important to us. We don't want an audience to feel daunted or feel that the show's already escaped them. Of course you can watch on Netflix and get caught up, but we wanted to make the second season a place where you could jump in and really enjoy it.
More via the link.

- Ep 1 of Blastr's Colony podcast
Syfy Wire contributing editor, Tara Bennett, hosts and in our launch episode, she talks with co-creators and executive producers, Carlton Cuse (Lost, The Strain) and Ryan J. Condal (Logan's Run), about episode 2.1. "Eleven, Thirteen." Beware, it's all spoilers in the podcast as we grill the duo on their storylines and character reveals, so listen after you watch the season premiere.

jelly

So, will it jump back to after the end of season 1 eventually or are they doing something completely different now?

jond76

Banned
I liked the premiere, but I felt the entire flashback was to introduce his ex-partner so we know who she is when he gets to her door. Ha.

Decent start.

I liked the premiere, but I felt the entire flashback was to introduce his ex-partner so we know who she is when he gets to her door. Ha.

Decent start.
It filled in some of the blanks on Snyder and Broussard, too. I'm more interested in them now.

jelly

Wait and see, felt like there was more to show after the first episode.

Still can't quite wrap my head around them taking over and government helping out without retaliation. Did they Skype them first.

I couldn't help but think of Trump in day one at the FBI office.

Sober

Girlfriend loved 2x01 so we marathoned most of S1 together. Liked all the small details that ate callbacks to lines and other stuff in S1 from that premiere. Like a lot of it is Snyder parroting anything "wise" people have said straight to him. Or those little details he lied about his past.

Oh and S1 is on Netflix Canada for those in Canadaland.

MaKTaiL

Colony just showed up as a suggestion for me on Netflix. How good is it? I'm afraid of watching a soon to be dead show. I have a huge trauma of watching series that get canceled before ever finishing their story.

Finally got around to watching the premiere. I think my favorite part was how often they framed the camera with a person in the foreground and a huge amount of background behind them to keep making us think "this is when they're gonna blow something up" until the moment when they finally did it.

Colony just showed up as a suggestion for me on Netflix. How good is it?
It's good! Just don't go in expecting lots of alien action. It's more of a thriller/family drama/occupation story in the first season. They seem to be increasing the scope in the second season thus far. The first season takes a few episodes to get going, as well.
I'm afraid of watching a soon to be dead show. I have a huge trauma of watching series that get canceled before ever finishing their story.
The ratings for the S2 premiere are on par with what they did for the first season. We'll have to see what the DVR numbers look like.

Still can't quite wrap my head around them taking over and government helping out without retaliation. Did they Skype them first.
I think it was more that they found pockets of people that were amenable to occupation (Snyder, etc...) and then they took out the rest that weren't on board (e.g. killing the people on the 'list' as well as the special forces guys).

Sober

I think it was more that they found pockets of people that were amenable to occupation (Snyder, etc...) and then they took out the rest that weren't on board (e.g. killing the people on the 'list' as well as the special forces guys).
Yeah they literally killed or hunted everyone down that might pose any bit of a threat. The S2 premiere confirms it by telling it to you multiple times. They really had a plan in action to begin with.

And imagine it's worldwide, not just California or even the US, and they probably took over all at once too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom