• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Nintendo Offers Bright Outlook on Expectations for Switch

ggx2ac

More at the link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-offers-bright-outlook-on-expectations-for-switch-1493278400

“We have done a lot of things to raise awareness about how the Switch experience can offer something new, and I am just relieved that consumers seem to have accepted it,” the company’s chief executive Tatsumi Kimishima said of the console designed for use both in the living room and on the go.

The Switch posted solid March sales of 2.74 million units, beating the company’s initial sales estimate of two million units for the month. The scale of the Switch’s success in March surprised the market, analysts said, given that the launch missed the year-end holiday season, Nintendo’s biggest profit-generating period.

Nintendo’s 10 million forecast is too cautious and more than 15 million units could be sold during the current fiscal year, Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda said.

For the 12-month period beginning this month, Nintendo expects to see operating profit of ¥65 billion yen ($585 million) on revenue of ¥750 billion, the company said. A result in line with its expectations would be a good improvement over the ¥29.4 billion profit for the year that ended March 31, which Nintendo also reported Thursday.

The projected ¥65 billion operating profit, if realized, would be the highest since the year ending March 2011. Analysts say Nintendo should typically generate operating profit of more than ¥100 billion, but profits have declined in recent years because of the weak performance of the Wii U console.

Mr. Kimishima said Nintendo would be spending more this year on promotion to sell the Switch, putting a drag on operating profit.

“It is surprising that Zelda is doing so well, but it also proved what we have been saying is right: A good game title will spur sales of the platform device,” Mr. Kimishima said.

Analysts are more optimistic about Nintendo’s earnings prospects than the company. Macquarie Capital Securities analyst David Gibson said he expects Nintendo to earn ¥137 billion operating profit in the current fiscal year, assuming it sells more than 14.5 million Switches over the period and receives revenue contributions from Nintendo-made game software for the Switch and smartphones.

For the year that ended in March, Nintendo said it had recorded a net profit of ¥102.6 billion, compared with the street forecast of ¥93.6 billion. Net profit was helped by ¥64.5 billion from selling part of the stake in the Seattle Mariners operator it owned. The company booked net profit of ¥16.5 billion in the year-earlier term that ended March last year.

As shown in the article, some analysts think the 10 million Switch hardware units forecast for FY3/2018 is too conservative/cautious.

We'll see how things go during the next quarter.

Experien

I am kind of worried that the OS won't get touched for a long time since it is working just fine and Nintendo is selling well. Doesn't Nintendo only change things up when things are rocky?

Hoping for customization and Netflix. I would kill for some sort of comic reader but that is laughable.

Tadaima

Basically it was another unremarkable year in terms of net profit (but still much better than the year prior's record low), except the strategically timed sale of the Seattle Mariners baseball team.

102.6 - 64.5 = 38.1.

But that aside, great news about the Switch. The company will undoubtedly record "Nintendo-like profits" in these years to come.

E-phonk

Banned
Doesn't Nintendo only change things up when things are rocky?

Hoping for customization and Netflix. I would kill for some sort of comic reader but that is laughable.

Nah, both will come, don't worry.

I hope BotW sales give Nintendo fate to hand the Zelda series over to Fujibayashi and let Aonuma make something totally new.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to hear and see that they are taking promotion of the Switch seriously.

Hopefully they have more marketing blitzes like what's currently going on with Mario Kart for other titles like ARMS, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey.

Nintendo has been given a golden opportunity with the Switch. They just need to not fuck it up

So much positive Nintendo news on GAF is quite suprising lol.

I noticed that when some positive news hit, there is always some strange kind of reaction here. Like antibodies fighting against an disease.
Look forward for the negative threads to pop up in the coming days.

so_good.png

tsab

I am kind of worried that the OS won't get touched for a long time since it is working just fine and Nintendo is selling well. Doesn't Nintendo only change things up when things are rocky?

Switch OS launched with a bare-bones OS like the 3DS. I am certain that features that didn't make it for day one, are coming asap.

Netflix, youtube and browser is what I want atm. I am realizing this now because my smartphone just died :(

Winthorpe

Banned
E3 is going to be stellar.

I had a dream last night that Nintendo's E3 closed with From Software announcing Dark Souls 1 and 2 re-mastered for Switch and then explaining that they are working with Nintendo on the next Metroid.

Now, admittedly, my dreams have also featured me charming Rachel Bilson into a state of nudity, so they're not the most reliable forms of media.

Having Netflix on Switch doesn't need to change the OS.

Ansatz

I still have reservations regarding the success of Switch because of the current hardware and accessory/service prices. I won't understand if it turns out to be huge based on those things

orioto

Good Art™
“It is surprising that Zelda is doing so well, but it also proved what we have been saying is right: A good game title will spur sales of the platform device,” Mr. Kimishima said.

Surprising really ? Lol...
No joke Nintendo, if you leave your comfort fan zone and do super ambitious titles, it'll create interest among gamers, more than any "unique" idea you'll put in you hardware.

It's weird to read that, like if he's saying "wow we forgot how much a good game can drive sale, we should do that more. That was our philosophy at some point anyway".

They really need to put the software back in their priorities. Not that they stopped doing good software. But they stopped thinking their software was enough to find success. It's way enough if they shoot high.

E-phonk

Banned
I still have reservations regarding the success of Switch because of the current hardware and accessory/service prices. I won't understand if it turns out to be huge based on those things

Non essential accessory prices aren't that important in an overall purchase decision. I haven't bought a pro controller yet, for example, but I don't need it to enjoy zelda, puyu puyo, mario kart etc on the go.

And I'll wait to judge about their online plans until they reveal it at E3.

I like the one where Switch won't outsell Wii U.

Maybe he meant year one.

Switch OS launched with a bare-bones OS like the 3DS. I am certain that features that didn't make it for day one, are coming asap.

Netflix, youtube and browser is what I want atm. I am realizing this now because my smartphone just died :(

Disregarding the battery (that is kind of as good as it gets IMO), youtube/netflix apps will make Switch literally my most used device inside the house (too scared to always have it with me outside).

Zedark

No joke Nintendo, if you leave your comfort fan zone and do super ambitious titles, it'll create interest among gamers, more than any "unique" idea you'll put in you hardware.

It's weird to read that, like if he's saying "wow we forgot how much a good game can drive sale, we should do that more. That was our philosophy at some point anyway".

They really need to put the software back in their priorities. Not that they stopped doing good software. But they stopped thinking their software was enough to find success. It's way enough if they shoot high.

I read this differently, more like he's saying "we knew a great game sells a system, but the extent to which BOTW is successful surpassed our expectations."

I agree with you, though: BOTW and the sandbox style Supoer Mario Odyssey are much more appealing to me than a linear style game in either franchise. I do hope they take the BOTW lesson and give us more of the big games!

Disregarding the battery (that is kind of as good as it gets IMO), youtube/netflix apps will make Switch literally my most used device inside the house (too scared to always have it with me outside).
The Switch screen is much better than the one my phone has, so it would definitely be my Netflix machine of choice!

samar11

I would say this one's more iconic:

This is gaf mate, have you seen what they said about Sony/playstaion?

Wii U DOA, yet they still made money off it, even with the small numbers. Switch, selling 3x that of WiiU will be considered a big financial win for the company.

No joke Nintendo, if you leave your comfort fan zone and do super ambitious titles, it'll create interest among gamers, more than any "unique" idea you'll put in you hardware

I think he was more surprised by the fact that they've sold more copies of Zelda for the Switch than they've done the actual Switch console. but hey whatever.

ramparter

Banned

Lol what the hell, UI is long thought process tgat has been planned well beforehand.

Winthorpe

Banned
In defence of the ‘Dead on Arrival’ crew, the January reveal was a bit naff and Nintendo have never been very good at marketing. I still wouldn’t be surprised if they hype us up for a Metroid reveal at E3 and it turns out to be ‘Metroid Federation Dildo Hunters’.

Anyway, it will sell gangbusters. The simple ability to hit a button and immediately start playing a game as good as Zelda is a game changer for me. Love it to bits. And I have a feeling that Mario Kart is about to take over my life (once again).

In defence of the ‘Dead on Arrival' crew, the January reveal was a bit naff and Nintendo have never been very good at marketing. I still wouldn't be surprised if they hype us up for a Metroid reveal at E3 and it turns out to be ‘Metroid Federation Dildo Hunters'.

In defense of nothing, it's just like how people responded to the Wii.

Zedark

I think he was more surprised by the fact that they've sold more copies of Zelda for the Switch than they've done the Switch. but hey whatever.

* shipped, let's not make an incorrect narrative that Zelda has a > 100% worldwide (only Americans are weird enough for that lol).

E-phonk

Banned
I wonder if by now Nintendo regrets forgetting to make more games in time for the launch of Switch.

In hindsight they actually seem to have a good software strategy for the first six/nine months with one "big" game a month filled with smaller (indie) titles in between.

Top Bottom