• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy is charging people $20 for the Destiny2 BETA code if you cancel your preorder

Lee

So I posted this in the Destiny 2 BETA thread and was told it should have a thread of its own. I had Destiny 2 preordered from BestBuy, but I ended up buying it on PSN digitally so I cancelled my BestBuy order yesterday. They cancelled part of my order, but are now charging me $19.99 for the BETA code.

ugdx3eO.png

I thought it might be a glitch, but apparently not.

Just thought I'd provide a PSA to people here.

If you pre-orderd the game from Best Buy and you cancel your pre-order, they will end up charging you $19.99 for the beta code.

Lee, just go into the chat and request it be cancelled. They gave me the $19.99 back immediately.

They Did the same thing to me

Cancelled the ps-pro bundle cause i wanted a drum set instead and yeah, was charged $20

Yep you'll need to get in contact with a Community Person on their support boards to get it refunded. I had canceled 3 preorders and was dinged with this but i was able to get it refunded

Holy fucking shit, you need to make a new thread on that, that's shady as fuck. 100% illegal as well if the beta code wasn't broken out and listed as a $20 add-on at time of purchase. Retailers do not pay a dime for these codes.

It seems like they are quick to refund people for this, but only if you ask for one. It's an incredibly shady practice if you ask me.

EDIT:

From April, oddly enough.

m6HyslW.png

"Small number" my ass. A week before that he was defending it as policy.

Hko3DEN.jpg

I especially like the "not to worry" part.

blakep267

I mean is it shady? Preordering the game gets you an early access code. That's part of the package. Blame activision for that even being a thing

Dynomutt

Better hope Amazon doesn't do the same lol we know how everybody got Beta codes lol! They will probably change it of just do an open beta in the future.

sense

They are trying to discourage people preordering and cancelling the orders after getting the code. Can't blame them.

It's listed as $19.99 in your shopping cart, so while it may be shady because it's usually $0.00, it's also your job to review your order before you purchase.

Piscus

I know this is slightly OT, but.... out of curiosity, are people cancelling their preorders because of how the beta was?

Gestault

Unless they inform the customer beforehand, I can't imagine them keeping that charge in place if you bring it up with customer service. If they make this a normal policy, that's fine, but it needs to be clear in the terms of the pre-order.

A partial charge like that is such a specific transaction, there's no way to justify it "blindly."

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Honestly, this sounds more like a system error on Best Buy's part. Did you contact their support and ask for an explanation and resolution?

I've ordered and cancelled several games which have had Beta, including Call of Duty WW2, and I've never gotten charged. It seems that a quick chat or call to Customer Support would sort this out. At times, all retailers have glitches in their systems. We love them when they work in our favor and storm the village with torches and pitchforks when they seem to work against us.

Just call customer service and they'll refund you. The same thing happened to me OP. Best Buy is great for buying physical games but they're still kinks in their online infrastructure I think. You can change payment methods for example and being charged for a beta is a rather excessive.

neoemonk

Pre-order bonus fuckery pisses me off.

I know the Square Enix Online store said they wouldn't issue refunds on Stormblood if you used the early access code. The past few years I've started to think you're better off not preordering (unless you're trying to get the NES/SNES Classic apparently).

shmoglish

Someone could argue its shady to preorder a game and cancel it tight after getring the code.

Not sure what to think about this. Dont have a problem with people preordering a game just for a beta code, but it is obvious that the publishers dont line that behavior.

jacobeid

Banned
It is broken down, look at the screenshot.

It's a separate object in the cart with an attached price that's likely brought to zero when you pre-order. But cancelling the pre-order charges you the amount

It's listed as $19.99 in your shopping cart, so while it may be shady because it's usually $0.00, it's also your job to review your order before you purchase.

The product page literally has a header that says "INCLUDED FREE" and lists the beta code. Before you click on the item it says "INCLUDED FREE: One item." "One item" being a hyperlink taking you to the language about the beta codes.

Edit: and when you add it to your cart it does not state the beta is $19.99. It says the total package is $59.99. You don't see the breakdown until after you purchase.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's a breakdown after the return, not the original purchase. The original purchase language normally shows "included free" in all-caps at every step of checkout.

This.

Lee

It was never listed as $19.99 in my shopping cart, and the original order email shows it as $0.

nuZQl3r.png

They are trying to discourage people preordering and cancelling the orders after getting the code. Can't blame them.

That's fine if they want to go that route but they need to explicitly warn people before they place their preorder. The way they're doing it now is shady a fuck and will probably only hurt them in the end.

The product page literally has a header that says "INCLUDED FREE" and lists the beta code. Before you click on the item it says "INCLUDED FREE: One item." "One item" being a hyperlink taking you to the language about the beta codes.

Edit: and when you add it to your cart it does not state the beta is $19.99. It says the total package is $59.99. You don't see the breakdown until after you purchase.

This.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that's a breakdown after the return, not the original purchase. The original purchase language normally shows "included free" in all-caps at every step of checkout.

It was never listed as $19.99 in my shopping cart, and the original order email shows it as $0.

nuZQl3r.png

I stand corrected, confirmed shady lol.

Considering that it's the company's idea to tie their beta into a pre order, you can totally blame them. They're mad people found a loophole in their shitty practice, so they're trying to patch it up with another shitty practice.

jacobeid

Banned
People trying to game the system getting gamed themselves? Oh well.

What are you going to tell the people who pre-ordered, played the beta and decided they didn't like it, and canceled? Those people weren't told Best Buy would charge them 1/3 of the game for the beta codes.

Abusing the system isn't moral, but Best Buy shouldn't be doing what they're doing without clearly stating this to consumers BEFORE they purchase. This would be a different scenario if Best Buy explained this up front.

Considering that it's the companies idea to tie their beta into a pre order, you can totally blame them. They're mad people found a loophole in their shitty practice, so they're trying to patch it up with another shitty practice.

Yuuup.

Z_Y

People trying to game the system getting gamed themselves? Oh well.

It's a limited time demo. It's more valuable to the develop than it is the customer. That's why it's going public tomorrow.

It's nothing but pre-order fuckery and it's about time people provided a little fuckery right back them. Fair play, as I see it.

Effect

Then they need to be upfront about that and assign a value to the code before purchase. There isn't any listed prior to purchase. Receipts would show that. They can't suddenly add one after the fact. I don't think that's actually legal. That should be considered theft by the store that tries it.

killroy87

If they don't explicitly tell you this when you check out, it's shitty of them. If they do, and you can see that you're buying two things in the cart, then whatever, I get it.

Freeman76

So its shady for them to charge you, its not shady when people place a preorder just to get a code then cancel it though. Hmmmmmm

I would also ask do they just pocket this money? If I was acti I would want my cut since best buy is selling a free key for $20. So this shit might get them in trouble with publishers as well.

Z_Y

So its shady for them to charge you, its not shady when people place a preorder just to get a code then cancel it though. Hmmmmmm

Correct. It is not shady to play by their rules. It is shady to change the rules after the deal was made.

Top Bottom