• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it'sbeen3000years.gif
tumblr_inline_osxxd1LTUY1un6oi4_250.gif

What if
all of Mario 64 is remade within that world...
Considering the sheer size of each of the worlds we've seen I think it's possible.
The whole of Throwback Galaxy is like 1/8th the size of Sand Kingdom, after all. 120 moons :3 My fuckin head would explode

Kraq

That big spoiler has hyped me more than I was previously for this game. I imagine for a lot of people
it'll be the equivalent to revisiting Shadow Moses in MGS4.

Odyssey is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You guys don't expect
Mushroom Kingdom (which is also on the world map, shaped like a Mushroom, but where's the Bean Bean Kingdom then #lore) to be in the game as a proper stage? :p

Red Devil

Regarding the spoiler image,
doesn't the sky color sort of resemble what it looked like in Royal Raceway on MK8
?

I think there will just be some crossovers between places, like the T-rex in a different kingdom they showed at e3 treehouse.

I think Glydon's just on both - and he's just a friendly NPC traveling the world. (He's also named in the world map as part of the Sand Kingdom). Seaside and the Tropical Islands have different regional coins (seashells - leaves), different colors for the moons (purplish - gold), and the Tropical Islands' poison and palm trees almost certainly match the palm tree islands surrounded by purple water on the world map.

It's possible you're right, I just remembered Captain Toad gives you a moon in New Donk City, I bet we'll see him in other places.

Because it's under embargo.

Yeah, Nintendo Life had to cut their video during that Luncheon Kingdom boss.

Yeah this game is it isn't it

It's gonna represent a new high standard for 3D Mario.

Inbefore people will say that certain series needs to go the Odyssey route instead of citing BotW as an example.

I dunno, looks
like a mix of the modern versions of the castle and the 64 one.
Considering cap-ture is a central mechanic, I doubt they'll go through the effort of programming playability for every 64 enemy. There could be a few areas though
, but it seems like a situation akin to BotW's "whole other past world?!" speculation.

Red Devil

I dunno, looks
like a mix of the modern versions of the castle and the 64 one.
Considering cap-ture is a central mechanic, I doubt they'll go through the effort of programming playability for every 64 enemy. There could be a few areas though
, but it seems like a situation like BotW's "whole other past world?!" speculation.

For one,
we haven't seen a single Bob-omb yet, which in itself is odd because they appeared on every 3D Mario game, even Sunshine where every other enemy was a new one, they're likely in the game but have to be confirmed yet

Three kingdoms? Now I want to see a mario strategy game taking place during the collapse of the mushroom kingdom. Bowser Jr. claims Princess Peach is his mother, and by right he is heir, Prime Minister Toad declares himself king, no longer will mushroom people be ruled by humans or lizards mario and Luigi are amassing soldiers loyal to them. Lu Bu is also there because why not

Subaru

About the entire Super Mario 64 being added to SMO: This isn't impossible, the maps are small and there is a lot of stars that could be eliminated (like 8 and 100 coins). I think that it is possible to have all stages on SMO, but working in different ways. SM64 objectives now are almost trivial nowadays

Just dawned on me the hat kingdom has it's own currency in the HUD but we never saw any hat coins, definitely somewhere to return to.
Gamexplain said the zipwire would go to another kingdom, but I think that's off and more likely goes to central Bonneton, unless there's a possibility of multiple named towns per Kingdom.

One thing I never got from the impressions is if the Cap Kingdom is just a small starter level or if it is similar in scope to the other kingdoms. I'm suspecting it's the former and that it's just a small town, some rolling hills and the frog capture platforming sequence.

Regarding the spoilers, I bet that
the Mushroom Kingdom is made of Peach's Castle from 64 faithfully recreated where every painting sends you to a small level reminiscent of the N64's levels with the same music/themes but with 1 or 2 moons in each.

Edit: nevermind saw video above.

While not likely, I'd like to see the same thing as you. SM64's Castle and paintings recreated and some redesigns. One kingdom had 69 moons in it. They could easily put 50 moons in the paintings then the remaining 19 hidden in Peach's Castle/Broodal levels. The mission structure for this level could start with requiring you to obtain one Mushroom Kingdom Power Moon to enter the castle. Then you have access to the first floor levels each with 3-4 moons in them. Similar to SM64 you have to get 10 regional power moons to unlock the first Bowser level except you face a broodal at the end. Once Broodal is defeated you get the key to the basement and access to those levels. The rest of the level progresses similarly to SM64 with the next area being locked behind 20 regional power moon and a broodal fight where the 2nd Bowser fight occured. Once defeated you get access to the upstairs levels and the final area/boss being locked behind 30 regional power moons. All levels are enhanced and slightly redesigned with different artstyles and better level design structured around one or two main objectives in each SM64 level. You can purchase the Wing Cap, Metal Cap and Invisibility cap in this kingdom.

Never going to happen of course but it's nice to dream.

One thing I never got from the impressions is if the Cap Kingdom is just a small starter level or if it is similar in scope to the other kingdoms. I'm suspecting it's the former and that it's just a small town, some rolling hills and the frog capture platforming sequence.

Edit: nevermind saw video above.

While not likely, I'd like to see the same thing as you. SM64's Castle and paintings recreated and some redesigns. One kingdom had 69 moons in it. They could easily put 50 moons in the paintings then the remaining 19 hidden in Peach's Castle/Broodal levels. The mission structure for this level could start with requiring you to obtain one Mushroom Kingdom Power Moon to enter the castle. Then you have access to the first floor levels each with 3-4 moons in them. Similar to SM64 you have to get 10 regional power moons to unlock the first Bowser level except you face a broodal at the end. Once Broodal is defeated you get the key to the basement and access to those levels. The rest of the level progresses similarly to SM64 with the next area being locked behind 20 regional power moon and a broodal fight where the 2nd Bowser fight occured. Once defeated you get access to the upstairs levels and the final area/boss being locked behind 30 regional power moons. All levels are enhanced and slightly redesigned with different artstyles and better level design structured around one or two main objectives in each SM64 level. You can purchase the Wing Cap, Metal Cap and Invisibility cap in this kingdom.

Never going to happen of course but it's nice to dream.

Cap Kingdom is probably similar to Toad Town in Galaxy 1 but with a little bit more meat. You do some story stuff too but this time you have to do some tutorial stuff and help Cappy fix up the cap-ship. But since it has its own coins its probably a full level once you go back late game.

spad3

So now that there's some hint of Peach's Castle being explorable to some extent as the Mushroom Kingdom, here's what I REALLY want to see to make this Game of Forever:

• A section of the Mushroom Kingdom to contain a race-track, could be Baby Park or whatever, but some reference to Mario Kart.

• I want to see Tennis Courts/Basketball Courts/Baseball Field/Soccer Field at Peach's Castle to reference the sports spin-offs

• Bean Bean Kingdom in the distance somewhere (if it was accessible/DLC, that'd be even better)

• Yoshi's Island somewhere with Ridable Yoshi (DLC would be awesome as well)

Any of single one the above will be more than enough for me. All of the above will blow my mind. It'll connect all his previous titles and adventures together into one epic title that already is diving into the deep history of the character.

The hype is real.

Just dawned on me the hat kingdom has it's own currency in the HUD but we never saw any hat coins, definitely somewhere to return to.
Gamexplain said the zipwire would go to another kingdom, but I think that's off and more likely goes to central Bonneton, unless there's a possibility of multiple named towns per Kingdom.

Possible purple coin on the edge of the screen in a place I think we saw in this footage? I'm definitely thinking we'll return here later on (after we get the odyssey, and thus, have a reason to collect moons). There's also an entrance blocked by rubble in the boss battle video posted above, and we saw a Paragoomba that can be captured in the direct but not in any footage so far.

Kiro

Do we know yet if the required X number of stars to unlock a new world all have to be from the most recent level? Do I need 18 blue stars, or can I get 10 blue, 6 brown, 2 orange to unlock the new world?

Red Devil

Possible purple coin on the edge of the screen in a place I think we saw in this footage? I'm definitely thinking we'll return here later on (after we get the odyssey, and thus, have a reason to collect moons). There's also an entrance blocked by rubble in the boss battle video posted above, and we saw a Paragoomba that can be captured in the direct but not in any footage so far.

There're purple coins, they're shaped like top hats.

There're purple coins, they're shaped like top hats.
Yeah, I know, haha. I'm saying there might be one of those Purple Hat Coins in the picture I posted, on the edge of the screen. But since from the footage of that area we've seen so far from the previews, there was nothing there, I think we'll return to a bigger/cleaned-up version of the kingdom later, when we get the Odyssey and have a reason to collect moons/regional coins.

Do we know yet if the required X number of stars to unlock a new world all have to be from the most recent level? Do I need 18 blue stars, or can I get 10 blue, 6 brown, 2 orange to unlock the new world?

One video said 8 purple moons for one of them. So purple moons seem to be the main thing. No clue what blue will do.

Top Bottom