• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Memorium Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PkunkFury said:
Do they still play reruns of this on TV at all? It was such a great show, but I have trouble finding more than a couple of the dvds, and I know half the shows will never be re-released :(

http://www.mst3kinfo.com/mstfaq/basics.html

It's not even in syndication anymore. DVD and video are your only choices. : (

Luckily, there are now many other avenues you can pursue to attain all 200 some episodes, so fret not.

207c.jpg

Wild Rebels cereal, the nutritous cereal that's like getting hit on the back of the head with a surfboard of flavor!

Wild Rebels is a really good one.

Tom: Looks like they're going to the Turd Museum!
Joel: Check it out, the world's largest.
Crow: Ride 'em!

Iceman

Jack Frost isn't on DVD yet is it?

That may be my favorite ever. And I rewatch Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Space Mutiny and Time Chasers all the time.

tokkun

Pumaman is my favorite episode by miles and miles.

PkunkFury said:
Do they still play reruns of this on TV at all? It was such a great show, but I have trouble finding more than a couple of the dvds, and I know half the shows will never be re-released :(

Do a search for MST3K Digital Archive Project.

Iceman said:

That may be my favorite ever. And I rewatch Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Space Mutiny and Time Chasers all the time.

It is not but I bought most of the episodes that are not officially released on DVD at www.cheepnis.com

I have nothing to do with this site, Mods please delete if this is not allowed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Iceman said:

[The sun rises. Nastenka runs to address the horizon.]
Nastenka: Have mercy, rosy-fingered Dawn! Have mercy on me, o rising golden Sun!
Servo [as Sun]: And you are…?
Nastenka: Wait 'til I'm done knitting these stockings! Otherwise I'll be punished severely. Stepmother said she would tear off my braid.
Mike [as Sun]: [beeps] This is the Sun. Your call is very important to us, but due to unusually high call volume…
[The sun obligingly reverses itself and sinks below the horizon.]
Servo: Oh, the world's thrown into chaos — earthquakes, floods — but that's fine; you knit your sock.

tnw

Banned
manos hands of fate was pretty funny

and also the episode with that girl from LA whose father is a wearwolf or something. Can't remember the name of it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I loved all the crazy names they gave "Aunt Flavia" during The Thing That Couldn't Die. "Aunt Coolio's gonna flip when she sees this." I probably laughed for a full minute the first time i heard that.
5884_1.jpg

Shogun

title.jpg

My personal horrible favorite followed by Jack Frost, Blood Waters of Dr. Z ( Sargasm ) and
Girl in Gold Boots.

Also take note, MST3K is dead, but the trio and their bit still go on.
Check out RiffTrax
They do tracks at 2.99 a pop to go along with modern and older movies and a Mike Nelson in every box, and starting tomorrow
Top_Image_MikeNelson_Leonidas.jpg

300!

If you like the old style, just being released is "The Film Crew" DVDs, in MST style each one with the full Sci Fi cast( albeit no puppets or SOL )
51yyHYs0wyL._SS500_.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
180px-Morozko_dvd.jpg

This is one of my favorite episodes. So funny.

Michael Nelson IS, LORD OF THE DANCE!

Other tops:

Mitchell

This Island Earth

Time Chasers

Parts: the Clonus Horror (Partly because of the settlement they got from Deramworks after Michael Bay ripped them off)

Prince of Space

Pod People

And yes, I will be watching 300 the Rifftrax way.

80_large.jpg

Oni Jazar

I've always loved Cave Dwellers.

Joel: Wait, why is she limping?
Crow T. Robot: Uh, because she's got an arrow in her chest.
Joel: Oh I can see... huh?

Joel: Hey it's the Speedy Delivery Guy and does HE have a package!

Juice said:
Paging Cheesemeister

Here I am.

Best. Show. Ever.

mst3k-cast.jpg

My favorite episodes...

202 Sidehackers
205 Rocket Attack USA
212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon - Jet Jaguar Fight Song
301 Cave Dwellers
303 Pod People
310 Fugitive Alien
321 Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
322 Master Ninja I
404 Teenagers from Outer Space
407 Killer Shrews
410 Hercules Against the Moon Men (DEEP HURTING)
412 Hercules and the Captive Women
416 Fire Maidens of Outer Space
418 Attack of the the Eye Creatures
424 Manos: the Hands of Fate
501 Warrior of the Lost World (Any fruit to declare? 4:03)
504 Secret Agent Super Dragon
506 Eegah
508 Operation Double 007
512 Mitchell
516 Alien from L.A.
519 Outlaw
521 Santa Claus
523 Village of the Giants
601 Girls Town
604 Zombie Nightmare
612 Starfighters (plane refueling)
614 San Francisco International
620 Danger! Death Ray
622 Angels' Revenge
703 Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
810 Giant Spider Invasion
811 Parts: the Clonus Horror
813 Jack Frost
816 Prince of Space
820 Space Mutiny
821 Time Chasers
903 Pumaman
904 Werewolf
910 Final Sacrifice (Rowsdower!)
1001 Soultaker
1013 Diabolik

Here are a few pictures I had handy in my Photobucket...

212 Godzilla vs. Megalon

NINTENDORULEZ.jpg

310 Fugitive Alien

starwolf.jpg

forklift.png

324 Master Ninja II

lvc.jpg

423 Bride of the Monster

423.jpg

624 Samson vs. the Vampire Women

stratego.jpg

811 Parts: the Clonus Horror

clonus.jpg

"HQ, my hat looks like a muffin, over."

1013 Diabolik

diabolik.jpg

In Memoriam
Mystery Science Theater 3000
11/24/88 - 08/08/99

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Shogun said:
Also take note, MST3K is dead, but the trio and their bit still go on.
Check out RiffTrax
They do tracks at 2.99 a pop to go along with modern and older movies and a Mike Nelson in every box, and starting tomorrow
Top_Image_MikeNelson_Leonidas.jpg

300!
Cool, i didn't really have much interest in this movie but now i'm gonna watch it for the first time with the rifftrax commentary.

a Master Ninja said:
Any Mystery Science Theater 3000 experts want to help me remember the name of a movie I watched it like 15 years ago? It was Japanese, featured aliens abducting a woman, shaving her bald complete with a dotted line for brain removal, and the aliens wore shiny rhinestone gloves like Michael Jackson. I'd love to see it again.

Gamera vs. Guiron is the only thing close to this and it didn't have a woman abducted...unless you're not looking for an MST3K movie, in which case, I can't help you.

Cheesemeister, we need to hang out more. Are you a DAP member?

Best Show Ever indeed. Your list is actually very close to my choice picks. Other than the fact that you seem to like Seasons 4 and 5 best, when I'm more of a late two-season 3 fan.

Other choices I'd recommend:

705 - Escape 2000
312 - Gamera vs. Guiron
K20 - The Last Chase (yes, see the days when they were on local TV!)
505- The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
617 - The Sword and the Dragon
Both Master Ninjas are amazing
314 - Mighty Jack (I can't explain why, but this is my favorite episode ever.)

Skiptastic said:
Cheesemeister, we need to hang out more. Are you a DAP member?

Yeah, while I don't hang out at DAP, I downloaded all of the episodes on there and burned them onto CD-ROM back in the fall of 2002, effectively replacing my extensive VHS collection from direct-off-cable and through tape trading. (I look at writeable CD-ROM prices now and cry.) I've got very nearly all of the Rhino DVDs. Great, great stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wikipedia has such cool info on Manos.
Manos-dvd_cover.jpg

Produced as a result of a bet, Manos was an independent production by a crew that had little or no background or experience in filmmaking and with a very limited budget at their disposal. Upon its theatrical debut, the film was critically slammed, and remained in obscurity until its Mystery Science Theater appearance. It has since gained infamy as one of the worst films ever made.

Under the working title The Lodge of Sins, the movie was filmed in the summer of 1966 with a 16 mm Bell & Howell camera which had to be wound by hand and only filmed for 32 seconds, which is credited as a possible explanation for the many editing problems present in the final cut. The Bell & Howell camera is incapable of double-system recording, and thus all sound effects and dialogue were dubbed later in post-production, reportedly by only three or four people including Warren.

The film was briefly distributed by Emerson Releasing Corporation, but reports that the only crew members who were compensated for their work in the film were Jackey Neman Jones and her family's dog, who received a bicycle and a large quantity of dog food respectively, would indicate that the film failed to break even financially.[2][12] Official box office figures for the film are presently unknown.

Reportedly, Quentin Tarantino owns a rare 35 mm copy of the film and has stated that this film is his favorite "comedy".

Cheesemeister said:
Yeah, while I don't hang out at DAP, I downloaded all of the episodes on there and burned them onto CD-ROM back in the fall of 2002, effectively replacing my extensive VHS collection from direct-off-cable and through tape trading. (I look at writeable CD-ROM prices now and cry.) I've got very nearly all of the Rhino DVDs. Great, great stuff.

Man, the DAP re-ignited my love of MST3K. I only had some of the Rhino tapes before I went to college, then found the DAP and became a huge MST nut. Suddenly a lot of the jokes in the CC era got funnier!

Aaron

Escape 2000 is easily my fav of favs. I think I've watched it a dozen times. It's just packed with humor, from the hero who does nothing, his vampire woman girlfriend, to the all mighty 'toblarone' Second place would probably go to Operation Double 007.

I like Joel and Mike equally. Different styles, different humor, but both great. Also like both Crows and both Servos. Didn't like Pearl Forestor though.

Aaron said:
Escape 2000 is easily my fav of favs. I think I've watched it a dozen times. It's just packed with humor, from the hero who does nothing, his vampire woman girlfriend, to the all mighty 'toblarone' Second place would probably go to Operation Double 007.

I like Joel and Mike equally. Different styles, different humor, but both great. Also like both Crows and both Servos. Didn't like Pearl Forestor though.

This man knows his stuff. I learned to love the new Crow and Brain Guy, and I love both Servos and Mike and Joel, but Pearl and Bobo just never became funny to me. Oh, they have their moments, but I'd almost rather watch Dr. Erhardt than those two.

tnw

Banned
I never said I didn't like Mike. I started watching in jr. high or so when Joel was on, but got busy in high school and didn't have time to watch the show anymore. Changing to Mike just gave me a reason to feel like I wasn't missing anything.

I didn't know until recently (thank you wikipedia) that Mike was one of the original writers of the show, I thought he was just some random dude that they casted to replace Joel. That kind of changes my perspective.

tokkun

MSTies are a really tight group. I have an MST3K t-shirt, and I must have gotten at least 30 "nice shirt" compliments from random strangers over the years. The only other t-shirt that's gotten me compliments is my Invader Zim shirt, and that has been 3 times at most.

tokkun said:
MSTies are a really tight group. I have an MST3K t-shirt, and I must have gotten at least 30 "nice shirt" compliments from random strangers over the years. The only other t-shirt that's gotten me compliments is my Invader Zim shirt, and that has been 3 times at most.

im-evil.jpg

One of my many MST shirts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JzeroT1437 said:
Some of the cast members committed suicide shortly after its release. I like to blame the film.

According to a documentary about Manos, there are no obituaries or any other evidence that anyone else committed suicide other than the guy who played Torgo. His suicide was before the movie ever came out, apparently he was a heavy drug user.

probune

I like the Legend Of Boggy Creek II: The Legend Continues or whatever the hell that movie was called. That movie absolutely didn't need commentary whatsoever :lol :lol

Man, I have all the Rhino VHS and DVDs I could find. Finally got around to getting ahold of the infamously rare Catalina Caper as well. Odd to see a MST3K episode where you laugh at everything but the jokes you're supposed to laugh at.

DrForester said:
According to a documentary about Manos, there are no obituaries or any other evidence that anyone else committed suicide other than the guy who played Torgo. His suicide was before the movie ever came out, apparently he was a heavy drug user.

This explains much, (ie, he wasn't acting...).

tokkun

Cheesemeister said:
im-evil.jpg

One of my many MST shirts.

That's pretty sweet. Where'd you get your shirts from?

My friend gave this to me as a gift after finding it at a t-shirt swap meet (yes, apparently those exist):
mstshirt.jpg

tokkun said:
That's pretty sweet. Where'd you get your shirts from?

My friend gave this to me as a gift after finding it at a t-shirt swap meet (yes, apparently those exist)

It went on sale during the promotional period for The Movie. I got it for Christmas. Nice shirt you've got there.

You guys are picking some memorable episodes.
Clevinger said:
My favorite is easily Space Mutiny. Sooo great.
"Is this the man?" "Why, no sir, you da man."

"Careful, we'll be reaching speeds of 3!"
Jon_Danger said:
I love this one because it is a purely ridiculously made russo-finnish film, with horrible voice dubbing, and weird characters. Bears that pick mushrooms wtf? The main guy character turning into a bear?
"Ivon... with the head of a bear." "Yeah, cram it, wokhead."
Coin Return said:
Though its tough to pick a favorite, for me its a toss up between Space Mutiny and

(Time Chasers)

Both have sooo many classic lines.
As a time travel nut I enjoyed that film on many levels. :)

"So in the future all kids are gay agents?"
atomsk said:
The Giant Spider Invasion!
"The black hole sucks everything in... and spits everything out." "Like the sheriff!"
Shard said:
"They took out the Hitler Building! Where is everyone going to see Hitler memorabilia?"
Ahh, Invasion of the Neptune Men. The episode with the famous "Roji Panty Complex".
JzeroT1437 said:
Also, has anyone else read this:

(Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese)
Oh yeah, I love that book. Also the non-movie-specific followup Mind Over Matters. I think I loaned them out and didn't get them back, but I'll have to get them again some day.

So to bring another episode up, FUTURE WAR!
46aec737c58b0.jpg

Y'know, the movie where the escaped Van Damme-esque human slave from the future teams up with an ex-hooker wannabe nun and some gangs to fight off Robert Z'Dar cyborgs and dinosaurs (also from the future).
46aec83e83c3a.jpg

atomsk said:
The Giant Spider Invasion!

WOOOO PACKERS WON THE SUPERBOWL WOOOOO

what i really loved about the earlier seasons is the running jokes from episode to episode.

Being from wisconsin, and knowing that my parents saw this one when it came out = priceless

This is also in my top 10

Along with "Riding with Death"

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
I've actually only seen a couple of MST3K episodes, via DVD, but I love the ending of Skydivers. The bad guys in the film sabotage some parachutes (with ACID, haha), which results in a death or two, but instead of bringing them to justice by the usual methods civilization allows, the townspeople hunt them down with rifles :lol

Then one of the MST3K guys does the voice-over, "Oh, did I mention we only have frontier justice in our society? Sorry." :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom