• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Memorium Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

omg rite said:
Is the movie the one that has like.. clips of them working on the ship at the beginning end, and middle?

Because I saw that two nights ago and it was probably the least funny thing ever. Just.. bad. And corny.

The worst MST3k I've seen is The Beginning of the End. I thought that show could do no wrong but good lord that one was DULL.

Zensetsu said:
I love the Master Ninja I. So many great lines, the part where they are ranting about the Van Cleefs...and where they pay out Demi Moore. :lol

Oh man the best part is where Lee Majors is there.

Joel: Say what you want, but Lee Majors has a nice rump.
*Lee turns back towards the screen*
Crow (as Lee): You guys talking about my butt? Heh, you crack me up, I've seen your show.

explodet

Oni Jazar said:
The worst MST3k I've seen is The Beginning of the End. I thought that show could do no wrong but good lord that one was DULL.
"Back in my day we didn't have fast movies. Sometimes we had to wait THREE or FOUR hours for something to happen!"
typhonsentra said:
I haven't seen them all, but I'd have to go with Hamlet.
Yeah, the whole exercise came off as kind of unnecessary, and the lousy production of a dubbed version of Shakespeare didn't help either.

Joel > Mike

I really lost interest in MST3K after Joel left, but then it was easy for me to feel that way since I moved to London a week after the Mitchell episode aired so I really couldn't watch the show anyway. To me, MST3K basically ended right there. I've picked up some tapes and DVDs with Mike on it but it doesn't feel the same and anything without Frank isn't worth remembering.

TV Frank! He's the best!

Skiptastic said:
Oh man the best part is where Lee Majors is there.

Joel: Say what you want, but Lee Majors has a nice rump.
*Lee turns back towards the screen*
Crow (as Lee): You guys talking about my butt? Heh, you crack me up, I've seen your show.

That was Claude Akins.

GDGF

Soothsayer
tnw said:
I had a dream last night where Mike and I were dating. Weird.

:lol I had a dream two weeks ago where Mike came over to visit all drifter style. He'd apparently had a bad time of things since the show was cancled and was looking for a place to crash. In the dream I showed him my MST3K Info Club card and then told him I thought Joel was better :lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
this thread makes me want to break out my burned dvd's and watch the whole damn series again. i did that 2 summers ago :lol

Rowsdower

Currently rewatching one of my favorite episodes: Prince of Space.

[The chicken-men's spaceship, which looks rather chicken-ey itself, flies about, terrorizing the people in the street.]

Servo [as Citizen]: Oh! A giant roast chicken!
Crow [as Citizen]: It is brown on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside!
Mike [as Citizen]: It is not fermented, pickled, or raw! Run!

Aaron

No movie is worse than Wild World of Batwoman. So bad they start screaming near the end, and you can't blame them. Heck, the seance scene is the worst scene ever filmed anywhere.

Blader

Aaron said:
No movie is worse than Wild World of Batwoman. So bad they start screaming near the end, and you can't blame them. Heck, the seance scene is the worst scene ever filmed anywhere.

That movie pissed me off such much. I couldn't even hear the commentary because I was just so angry that that movie existed.

Oni Jazar

Aaron said:

That one was really bad but the last scene of crazyness ("What is this, some kind of a weird ass hootenanny all of a sudden?") makes up for a lot.

Aaron

ckohler said:
Awesome! That's the best behind the scenes footage I've ever seen of MST3k. It shows all the sets and the theater and everything. Nifty.
Actually, they had at least three behind the scenes specials, one during the early years and two during the sci-fi channel era. Copies of them are floating around the internet, so shouldn't be too hard to find.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I just watched the Rifftrax of 300...wow, that was excellent. I'll definitely be buying more!

It was really neat to have a MST3K track over a new movie like that. If only studios would include a Rifftrax in the DVD...that would be amazing. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now that there have been so many bad movies since MST last aired, can they bring it back? Please?

I'd have to imagine the show was incredibly cheap to produce for original programming and it was better than nearly anything on Comedy Central (or TV in general, for that matter) today.

What is up with the Mike Joel debate

they both wrote for the show

so Joel was saying Mike lines when he was up there (except for the REALLY early stuff)

AstroLad said:
Now that there have been so many bad movies since MST last aired, can they bring it back? Please? I'd have to imagine the show was incredibly cheap to produce for original programming and it was better than nearly anything on Comedy Central (or TV in general, for that matter) today.

One word

Rifftrax

AstroLad said:
I'll have to give that a shot.

Still want a revival though. Yet another no-brainer that will never happen.

Yeah, I have heard a couple, pretty good, but I miss the little silhouettes and the space stuff

AstroLad said:
Still want a revival though. Yet another no-brainer that will never happen.

MST3K is the one cancelled show most worthy of being brought back. Yes, that includes Fox favorites Family Guy, Futurama, Firefly, and Arrested Development.

The problem is, network executives didn't like not having creative control over the show since it was produced in a geographically remote location, and the hassle of negotiating rights to modify the soundtracks of movies in addition to simply broadcasting them got to be asking too much for a niche show.

Network execs, of course, also hate freedom.

tnw

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
The problem is, network executives didn't like not having creative control over the show since it was produced in a geographically remote location, and the hassle of negotiating rights to modify the soundtracks of movies in addition to simply broadcasting them got to be asking too much for a niche show.

You don't honestly think Minneapolis is geographically remote do you?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speaking of rebirths, I'd never heard of this until it popped up on my Netflix recommendations:

Netflix said:
The Film Crew -- former "Mystery Science Theater 3000" stars Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy -- deliver their critical commentary to movies that have it coming.

51zmhyXt50L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Film_Crew_Giant_of_Marathon/70072084?trkid=147042

tnw

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
It's considered "fly-over country" for LA and NY folk.

psh, well they're more then welcome to stay out of Minneapolis any day.

But anyway, the way you said it made it sound like your opinion, not network execs.

So what is Orlando then?

tnw

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Hanging off the arse-end of America. =P

I guess.

I just hate it when Hilary Clinton says she's from 'The Heartland'. Yeah like first tier suburban chicago is so different than being from NYC exurban connecticut or even some random city in New England.

Is this all those guys do nowadays? I love supporting them and stuff, but I'd hate to think their only form of work is doing self-sponsored net releases of commentaries and the occasional DVD track. They're too good to be relegated only to this--they've gotta be writers for a show or something.

tnw

Banned
JzeroT1437 said:
Is this all those guys do nowadays? I love supporting them and stuff, but I'd hate to think their only form of work is doing self-sponsored net releases of commentaries and the occasional DVD track. They're too good to be relegated only to this--they've gotta be writers for a show or something.

My friends were forcing me to watch Desperate Housewives, and Kevin Murphy was listed in the credits.

Checking wikepedia though, it seems to be a different person.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
JzeroT1437 said:

Rifftrax has been around for over a year, id imagine it's doing pretty good for itself. If these guys like making fun of movie, let them.

As for other things, alot of the actors/writes seem to do alot of wrting for various shows and have occasional acting work. Joel Hogson, Trace Beaulieu (Dr. Forrester), Josh Weinstein (Dr. Erhardt who was on the orginal KTMA season) all worked on Freaks and Geeks at some point.

DrForester said:
Rifftrax has been around for over a year, id imagine it's doing pretty good for itself. If these guys like making fun of movie, let them.

As for other things, alot of the actors/writes seem to do alot of wrting for various shows and have occasional acting work (Seems several of them were involved in Freaks and Geeks at one point or another).

I love the idea that they're still doing movies--I was more concerned that nobody else in Producer-land had any interest in them, which would be a shame.

atomsk said:
why havent i heard of Darkstar?
It was announced years ago and been sitting with little web presence... I assumed it quietly fell off the face of the Earth, though that Wikipedia entry says it's a possible 2007 release.
JzeroT1437 said:
This stuff has only come about relatively recently; between the recancellation of the show and Rifftrax starting there was a good... 7 years? The various writers and staff have mostly gone off in different directions for their own writing/production work. They have worked on various shows, though nothing quite MST3K sublime. It's a bit harder to get excited about Frank Conniff working on Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Trace Beaulieu working on America's Funniest Home Videos, or Mike being a part of Let's Bowl.

Mike/Kevin/Bill have worked together a relative lot, though, as seen now in The Film Crew and Rifftrax. For a while they had a comedy website TimmyBigHands, but that didn't go much of anywhere.

Eric P

if there are any dc area fans, the library of congress will be showing the Hamlet episode in the pickford theater next tuesday @ 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom