• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM: Does the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean nothing?

I don't have the full article, but here's the description from http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3162919

Quality Crap: Trash is piling up on Nintendo's systems, but why? We bulldoze through the junk to find out.

From what I've heard, basically the article is about how games like High School Musical and Hannah Montanna are complete garbage, and why Nintendo isn't showing restraint in licensing these games, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

Yeah, the PS2 has nothing but gems.

All it's ever supposed to mean is that the software won't break your console. It's not a "this got over 60% on GameRankings" seal.

QuickKick89 said:
I don't have the full article, but here's the description from http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3162919

Quality Crap: Trash is piling up on Nintendo's systems, but why? We bulldoze through the junk to find out.

From what I've heard, basically the article is about how games like High School Musical and Hannah Montanna are complete garbage, and why Nintendo isn't showing restraint in licensing these games, unlike Sony and Microsoft.
But High School Musical and the new Hannah Montana game on DS are actually both pretty good, relatively speaking.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So Nintendo's being too lenient? Are we talking about the same Nintendo?

Let's see, first Dave Perry says Nintendo will do anything to keep third parties down.
Then EGM says that Nintendo doesn't do anything to third parties.
Who to believe... who to believe....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WTF.

1) The Nintendo Seal of Quality, as they're talking about, ceased to exist ages ago.
2) Fodder ALWAYS goes to the most successful systems. No exceptions. See PS2. See GBA.
3) The PS3 ain't getting so many Nickelodeon fodder games because kids can't afford $600 systems. They go to the PS2 instead.

ethelred

QuickKick89 said:

Yeah, I wonder why Sony's blocking this stuff and Nintendo isn't.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
QuickKick89 said:

Why should they? Some people like that crap... Besides, I doubt MS or Sony gets approached with many "HD" versions of the same games. Nintendo is cheaper to develop for. This situation compared to the gamecube situation is better IMHO. The third option is simply not on the table yet...

TheGreatDave said:

All it's ever supposed to mean is that the software won't break your console. It's not a "this got over 60% on GameRankings" seal.

It used to stand for "Holy Shit, this is awesome" once didn't it? Every NES game I got that had the fucker on there was awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Uh...Nintendo changed their seal at least a year or more ago.

nintendoseal.jpg

koam said:
seal means it works on a nintendo platform.

Don't tell that to EGM. Remember, Nintendo is an evil corporation that only wants to make money. Sony and Microsoft care about the true evolution of gaming.

Jesus, I hate mags sometimes.

fernoca said:
Probably because those 2 games (Hannah Montana and High School Musical) are selling.. :p
They're both really good games for their target market.

Not directed at you fernoca, but fuck I get tired of this "EVERYTHING HAS TO BE AIMED AT ME" mentality hardcore gamers have.

ParticleReality said:
It used to stand for "Holy Shit, this is awesome" once didn't it? Every NES game I got that had the fucker on there was awesome.

That was when they had full control over what third parties released. Which is why they got so much hate back then.
Now they get hate for not doing that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TheGreatDave said:

This basically sums everything up

mepaco

QuickKick89 said:

Since when? A quick glance at any release list will show that Sony and MS aren't stopping anybody from making crap for their platforms either.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the nintendo seal of quality has always had all the meaning of the krusty brand seal of approval

2lu9r7l.jpg

meaning, each product with the seal meets the high standards of shigeru miyamoto and five other randomly selected japanese peoples

Vyer

QuickKick89 said:
and why Nintendo isn't showing restraint in licensing these games, unlike Sony and Microsoft.

hahahaha

Anyway, here's a little secret about what's happening here: it's called popularity. Y'know the people who create/shovel out the crap? Guess what they're looking for above all else when they decide what system(s) they will put the game on?

It rhymes with 'frumbers'.

KINGMOKU

:lol Okay, someone from that mess of a mag/website come and defend this article, becuase I would really like to hear it.

I havnt read it, but the headline is just, well, pathetic. Do these guys have some personal vendetta against Nintendo or something? It's like a bunch of bratty schoolkids getting pissed becuase the teacher took away thier paper airplanes.

Like any other system ever hasnt recieved a ton of trash games.

Old news.
The seal of quality has been around since the NES days and that too didn't exactly protect you from playing a huge number of shitty games on the system.

Oh and yes there are bad games on other systems too, why is this an issue? Oh yeah it's because there's nothing else to talk about.

Vyer

Holy shit I've never seen White Van Racer before. that can't possibly be real.

But if it is, it's fuckin amazing.

Bildi

ParticleReality said:
Then you lucked out, evidenced by the first ever game I bought for my NES:

587082_49857_front.jpg

:(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Old news.
The seal of quality has been around since the NES days and that too didn't exactly protect you from playing a huge number of shitty games on the system.

Oh and yes there are bad games on other systems too, why is this an issue? Oh yeah it's because there's nothing else to talk about.

for real

262xlaq.jpg

Top Bottom