• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM: Does the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean nothing?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
BlackGoku03 said:
Wow, you weren't even picking up people, but arrows. Huge buildings just popped out of no where! Wow... i feel sorry for whoever bought that.

I feel sorry for whoever was told to create it, seriously, I can only imagine the timescale that was made in....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5mYSwsWSBnI

Drag Racer USA, well, at least this one hasn't got horrific pop-in, but looks like the car is skating on an ice rink, ah well, fix one problem at a time Phoenix, by 2013 you might make the perfect PS2 racer.

Note, this vid was also made by Infernal Monkey, he must love buying this shit, where do you get them from? and how must do you shell out for this punishment?

Red Scarlet

Oooooh, you made a van one and some mole one too. Yeah, please get the soccer one!

There are more than just white vans, even a locked one! :lol 'Mind that Child'

How do you pass people? The road is 1 lane with 50 vans on it and there's barriers 2 feet out from the road, which you can't see for crap because the van is so big.

:lol :lol :lol OMG at the end.

Is that you talking on the mole one?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The "Animal Soccer" thing isn't even a GAME, is it? It's a cartoon with a coloring book and card matching thing tossed in, right? That's what the box art made me believe.

LOL EGM is so full of it.

Anyone who has been reading the mag for the past 10-15 years will tell you these guys were the ones who complained non-stop about how "Nintendo kills games, they control what we can and cannot play, their standards are too ridiculous" wah wah wah...

When PSX had crap out the wazoo and Xbox was certifying every generic PC port possible to get more games (including trash like Azurik), this was OK, but now Nintendo disbands its internal game approval team because of the existence of ESRB and would rather let the market decide, suddenly they aren't enforcing "standards" enough.

It's funny because EGM then talks about how Sony "supports" their developers and doesn't "kill 2d games" when we KNOW, documented fact, that Sony has routinely killed several 2d games because they didn't feel it was "next-gen" enough.

Typical game journalist hypocricy for the mega-win.

Bottom line:

EGM wants Nintendo to oversee what games get released, isn't it better if they let the consumers decide? If people spend 50 bucks on a game and feel hosed, they shoulda done the research and rented first. No random standards from Nintendo are going to change idiots from being idiots, and moreover, if games really suck retailers won't carry it.

Now as far as Nintendo ENCOURAGING top quality game developers to spend time and create new games for the Wii, they definitely need to be doing that (and it doesn't seem like they have been successful). But placing controls on their platform and restricting game developer output, well, that is a bad idea, and we will very quickly go back to the old Nintendo where censorship and content control was prevalent.

itxaka said:
I just realized that you are the masochist who buys phoenix games and PLAYS them, records them and upload them to youtube for us to laugh :lol :lol

Good work man, without your videos we won´t have any evidence of the migthy phoenix games.

Haha, thanks. =')

Red Scarlet said:
Oooooh, you made a van one and some mole one too. Yeah, please get the soccer one!

There are more than just white vans, even a locked one! :lol 'Mind that Child'

How do you pass people? The road is 1 lane with 50 vans on it and there's barriers 2 feet out from the road, which you can't see for crap because the van is so big.

:lol :lol :lol OMG at the end.

Is that you talking on the mole one?

Yep, that's me!

There's seriously no other camera angles in the van game, so you're stuck trying to see anything other than the back of the bloody thing. Passing others is basically just based on luck (or sometimes CPU vans will just tip over for no reason). :(

Stop It said:
Ok, this is relevant to the thread....

http://www.phoenixgamesgroup.com/uk/nds.html

Apparently they now have a license to publish DS games, I can only imagine the ports of White Van Racer, on 2 screens!!!

*shudder*

Indeed!

whatwhat.png

Rhindle

DavidDayton said:
I'd like to request a list -- I'm curious what you are referring to. I'm sure bad, budget games are coming, but I'd be surprised if they were radically unlike actual PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox360 titles.
I won't bother posting lists. Go scan a release list and look for DSI Games, UFO Entertainment, Conspiracy, Detn8 etc. -- all Wii and DS titles, all ridiculous crap that no game mag or respectable site will even review.

I doubt many retailers will even stock this crap, yet Nintendo has no problem certifying it.

Slavik81

Rhindle said:
I think the point is that, in this day and age, SCEA and Microsoft enforce meaningful certification standards, whereas Nintendo has apparently chosen not to.

My guess is that they are not very interested in discouraging the perception that third party titles on their platforms are generally crap.

You need good third party games to do that. The solution is to get more good third party games, not to refuse to certify titles.

Rhindle said:
I doubt many retailers will even stock this crap, yet Nintendo has no problem certifying it.
Why should Nintendo care? If nobody stocks it and the game flops, it's the publisher who loses money.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rhindle said:
I won't bother posting lists. Go scan a release list and look for DSI Games, UFO Entertainment, Conspiracy, Detn8 etc. -- all Wii and DS titles, all ridiculous crap that no game mag or respectable site will even review.

The problem is that some of their stuff IS playable, albiet to smaller markets. Some stuff is pure lousiness, but not necessarily everything. One of those is publishing the C64 collection for the DS, for example.

DSI gave us at least one worthwhile thing - a budget release with Risk. UFO is SUPPOSED to be doing some Taito ports. Conspiracy has released various Choro/Penny racers titles in the past - releasing small games other folks were skipping.

The fact is that most of the folks you mentioned either port obscure little games or licensed stuff (which appears on all the systems, if you hadn't noticed). I'll give you the Conspiracy/Phoenix stuff, but at least the Wii ports are the Phoenix titles with SOME effort in them, as opposed to the horrid stuff.

I'm just not sure it's an issue of Sony/MS turning titles down MOST of the time. I mean, the only unusually bad stuff I could come up with from all the companies you named would seem to be the Ninjabread Man/etc. lineup. Five titles don't seem to make "HORDES OF EVIL".

Demigod Mac

Wow, apparently nobody's read the article. Talk about jumping to premature conclusions. Brief summary:

- Seems all you need is money to buy a license to publish on Wii and DS.
- Getting a game approved by Sony and Microsoft is tougher. They try to enforce a minimum quality standard. BAD GAMES DO SLIP THROUGH, yes. Nintendo does not enforce this quality standard at all, however. Not anymore, at least.
- A lot of shovelware is being brought to Nintendo platforms to make a quick buck. Flash-based web games are being ported and sold on the Wii and DS.

AND POSITIVE POINTS THEY MAKE IF YOU THINK EGM "JUST HATES NINTENDO":

- As much as shovelware sucks, it may actually be an indicator of a healthy platform
- EGM is concerned that Nintendo's reputation may be sullied by terrible 3rd party software and they call Nintendo out to enforce better standards for games
- On a final note, they remark that regardless of the 3rd party situation, Nintendo's 1st party software will always be high quality

Whoops. Looks like you people spewing out a lot of sensational ballyhoo don't know what you're talking about.

PkunkFury

I remember when Nintnedo was hated for exerting quality control and locking 3rd parties out for having what they considered "bad" games :\ Now things have come full circle...

but really, I do see the issue here. Some of those games are pure crap. And it's not just Nintendo, it's every cheap, popular system. There should be some form of quality control, just because every person who buys a bad game is less likely to continue the hobby. However bad games flooded the NES and the PSX, and those were some of the best selling systems of all time, so I guess they aren't hurting as much as I imagine

Brofist

I always thought the Nintendo seal had little to do with quality and more to do with keeping this from happening

NES_Tengen_Box_Front.jpg

The seal just means it's a legit product... The whoever is putting out this product jumped through hoops and paid good cash so that they're allowed to put games on the Wii or create accessories for it. It doesn't mean that said game is off the hook.

Edit: Ok I clicked on the link. Wtf are you complaining about? Why should Nintendo turn down good money? And hey little girly girls want Hannah Montana or High School Musical. Heck, it may even motivate parents to get a Wii. They could be like "hmm, I get this exercise machine and my daughter gets to karaoke = more reason to own the damn system." NOT allowing it is stupid business sense. And it shouldn't bother you, because you're not forced to buy it. I can understand journalists who are forced to go to their E3 conferences as assignments getting pissed (see Disney E3 2007 conference vid). but otherwise, there's really little reason to complain.

And Sony not allowing stuff on their system was such BS. SNK wasn't allowed to put titles on their systems, while Nintendo asked their developers to express creativity.

Excerpt from interview:

AMN: Now, you mentioned that you couldn't bring it to Xbox 360 or PS3 because those are high-definition platforms (with Metal Slug 6 being a 2-D game). Now, you also had a somewhat similar problem with Sony on the PS2, where some games had to be cancelled because Sony of America would not permit it due to some stuff about not meeting their graphical standards, gameplay details aside. Has Nintendo posed any kind of barriers for SNK?

Ben Herman: None whatsoever. They were very happy to have us back on board. They didn't come chasing us, but they allow us to have creativity. One of the things about the development kit for Wii is that, they said to us, create accessories. Do add-ons. If there are companies like Logitech and the like that are going to create all kinds of accessories that Nintendo. . .Nintendo's not going to corner the market or say that these are the only accessories that will plug in and play. They essentially are saying "be creative." Today I went to see the presentation. They had some accessories that had not really been shown. They have a classic joypad. They're working on a gun. Other third parties as far as accessory makers will work on other accessories and you know. . .just have fun with it.

So sure we get shit games for the system, but at least we don't filter out any potential good games. We can just not buy shit but we can't buy something that gets filtered.

Stop It

Demigod Mac said:
Wow, apparently nobody's read the article. Talk about jumping to premature conclusions. Brief summary:

- Seems all you need is money to buy a license to publish on Wii and DS.
- Getting a game approved by Sony and Microsoft is tougher. They try to enforce a minimum quality standard. BAD GAMES DO SLIP THROUGH, yes. Nintendo does not enforce this quality standard at all, however. Not anymore, at least.
- A lot of shovelware is being brought to Nintendo platforms to make a quick buck. Flash-based web games are being ported and sold on the Wii and DS.

AND POSITIVE POINTS THEY MAKE IF YOU THINK EGM "JUST HATES NINTENDO":

- As much as shovelware sucks, it may actually be an indicator of a healthy platform
- EGM is concerned that Nintendo's reputation may be sullied by terrible 3rd party software and they call Nintendo out to enforce better standards for games
- On a final note, they remark that regardless of the 3rd party situation, Nintendo's 1st party software will always be high quality

Whoops. Looks like you people spewing out a lot of sensational ballyhoo don't know what you're talking about.

(Bolded bit)

Bull...shit, look at this thread, look at all of the youtube links, Phoenix games ONLY makes shovelware, that isn't "slipping through" thats green lighting knowing full well what the end result will be, now tell me, how is Nintendo doing anything that Sony hasn't? Oh wait, it hasn't.

Oh the horror of a someone making a product for someone that isn't a high school/college age male! EGM, go save mankind by keeping games made for little girls away from little girls.

*feels the slight surge of what might make Drinky dump eight paragraphs about something on the world*

Lobster

Banned
chubigans said:
Uh...Nintendo changed their seal at least a year or more ago.

nintendoseal.jpg

Yup. Only PAL regions get the seal of quality now. For PAL its kind of true. Only games that matter get sent to PAL regions.

mj1108

TheGreatDave said:
All it's ever supposed to mean is that the software won't break your console. It's not a "this got over 60% on GameRankings" seal.

/thread

Must be a slow month for EGM to pull that story out of their ass.

shagg_187 said:
Last time i saw someone play Red Steel, Wii bricked on him... 0.01% chance of it happening, but it did :)

Oh ok, yeah I haven't heard that one before.

Though I have heard of RE4 Wii Edition overheating the GPU.

ziran

From the hardcore perspective there is a huge amount of crap on Nintendo systems, probably more than on MS and current Sony hw, but all this proves is the huge gulf in tastes between this audience and the mass market.

Many hardcore gamers, especially the gaming media, continue to be utterly clueless to the very clear fact the mass market have completely different tastes. This happens to a level where even if a game is loved by both audiences the reasons are different.

In the same way fanatics laud accolades over TV shows like Heroes and 24 and laugh at American Idol, they lack the simple insight to realise people have different opinions about things.

In short, we don't get it, and never will. Nintendo is running a business and declining titles which people buy and enjoy because of a subjective view of what constitutes good, from a group the game isn't aimed at, is retarded.

I mean, come on, you only have to look at the hardcore/gaming media reaction to Wii Sports to realise how fuck me out of touch they are with reality! :lol

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dalauz said:
I want to play White Van Racer and Animal Soccer now. Im serious.

It's great marketing! They should up the price of their games (from budget to full-priced), and market them as the worst games on any console, and admit they are proud of it, because they want out money.

It would sell like hell, 'cause people are curious to see how bad a game can be. "I wonder if this is even worse than their last game, I gotta check this one out".

HylianTom said:
What do you mean by that?

Now that Nintendo's leapfrogged Microsoft, core gamer mag EGM is pulling out all the stops to "put out the fire" so to speak, hence the "Hey doesn't Nintendo have a lot of crappy games?" article. Just a joke.

Stop It

Dalauz said:
I want to play White Van Racer and Animal Soccer now. Im serious.

So my viral marketing contract from Phoenix games has paid off, excellent.

Stop It said:
(Bolded bit)

Bull...shit, look at this thread, look at all of the youtube links, Phoenix games ONLY makes shovelware, that isn't "slipping through" thats green lighting knowing full well what the end result will be, now tell me, how is Nintendo doing anything that Sony hasn't? Oh wait, it hasn't.

And none of those games were released in America. Read the article. It relates to America specifically.

Stop It

Invertibrate said:
And none of those games were released in America. Read the article. It relates to America specifically.

SCEE are sick bastards with no standards confirmed.

Phoenix are a European publisher, and hardly a heavyweight one at that, the fact that the games never saw the light of day over in the US is probably more down to a lack of a distribution deal than SCEA having "higher standards" than SCEE, just saying

Rolf NB

shagg_187 said:
Last time i saw someone play Red Steel, Wii bricked on him... 0.01% chance of it happening, but it did :)
I always thought this was the chance for your Wii bricking on you every time you don't play Red Steel.

Thomper

For those that are unfamiliar with some of the shovelware in development for Wii, here's a scan from a folder at the Leipzig Games Convention:
2v3pv81.jpg

Bildi

Thomper said:
For those that are unfamiliar with some of the shovelware in development for Wii, here's a scan from a folder at the Leipzig Games Convention:
Wow, the Wii is seriously set to be the PS2 of this generation.

And none of those have the Seal. The plot thickens...

I thought Game Informer was the Nintendo-hating rag in the US. In their E3 wrap up issue they had 2 pages to cover Smash Brother and Super Mario Galaxy combined and described the graphics in Super Mario Strikers simply as "eww..." despite it being a decent looking game.

Acknowledging that the article is one of Seanbaby's humor articles, there are still some serious things to say that haven't been said yet.

There are two steps of approval you need to pass through to make an official ps2 game. At the end is quality approval. This is where they check for bugs and makes sure the game satisfies the technical requirements checklist. Nintendo and MS have this step also. The first parties will let you resubmit the game as much as you want until it passes, and then it can be released.

There is also an earlier step that only Sony has, concept approval, that takes place much earlier in the development process. They approve the concept. If you fail, you can't resubmit unless you make major changes, so usually concept failure ends projects.

Also, each of these steps needs to be repeated for each region, I'm pretty sure, though I'm not sure about MS and a year ago some people claimed that Sony was globalizing concept approval, so that a game concept approved in one region could be developed anywhere-such certainly was not the case in the past.

All this information comes from a post here a while ago by an Atlus employee.

Anyway, SCEA has been notoriously strict with concept approval compared to other regions. It is at the concept approval stage where all the stories about SCEA limiting 2-d games start. It is at the concept approval stage where Working Designs' final games were denied and after which they foolishly continued in development without any guarantee they would ever be approved. These standards probably also have kept Phoenix ps2 games off American soil.

No one should want the first party manufacturers to exercise control over the content of games and the industry will be more healthy in a situation where the dominant players don't have a concept approval step.

TimeKillr

Stop It said:
(Bolded bit)

Well, there's also (*gasp*) moneyhats and other considerations.

I know for a fact that Sony WILL block games they don't like. The big difference is the price point.

If a game is budget, then by all means release it, they don't care.

If it's a full-priced game, there are 2 alternatives.
1- Sony blocks it.
2- The dev/publisher pays for ALL manufacturing costs (which usually Sony does).

Salazar

To my eyes, the box art for Animal Soccer World is Babar. Now there is a property unfairly acquiring dust.

78 episodes are broadcast in 30 languages in over 150 countries, making Babar one of the largest distributed animation shows in history. With over 100 licensees worldwide, the Babar brand has a multi-generational following. There are even 12 dedicated Babar stores in Japan.There are now over 30,000 Babar publications in over 17 languages, and over 8 million books have been sold. Laurent de Brunhoff's Babar's Yoga for Elephants is a top seller in the U.S with over 100,000 copies sold to date. The Babar series of books are recommended reading on First Lady Laura Bush's national reading initiative list. Babar has been a perennial favorite for years at the White House Easter Egg Roll.

King of the Elephants + Wii = $$$$$

Top Bottom