• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM: Does the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean nothing?

AniHawk said:
So... did anyone, besides myself, read the article?

I did, but only after Segata pointed out how stupid we all were.

What I mean by read is, actually clicked the link and looked at the picture.

beelzebozo said:
for real

Total Recall

The highpoint of that game for me was using the machinegun to shoot the mutant taxi-driver's head off.

I actually thought that was more screwed up than what happened to that guy in the movie.

vitaflo

AniHawk said:
So... did anyone, besides myself, read the article? It wasn't as harsh as the title makes it seem.

Like games, we don't actually read the articles, just bitch about them.

Red Scarlet

Do any PAL'ers have any of those games? It'd be like the BK games here?

weird, I just skipped past spike tv and some halo 3 thing is on and some guy with a NEOGAF sign around his neck asked how much some armor weighed.

Christine

White Man said:
Hail to the king, baby.

WHITE VAN RACER

Oh god yes, that pleases me in ways I know can't be healthy. Maybe the Wii's low standards will help bring this little gem to American shores.

Banned
AniHawk said:
So... did anyone, besides myself, read the article? It wasn't as harsh as the title makes it seem.
I've read it. I agree it's not as bad as one would first imagine, but it's still a fucking joke.

I've read it. I agree it's not as bad as one would first imagine, but it's still a fucking joke.

250px-Back_to_the_Future.jpg

Slavik81

Why exactly is it a bad thing that they let people develop that stuff? If it's not a good game, don't buy it.

Do you really want Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft choosing what games you're allowed to play?

Saitou said:
Nintendo: Does EGM's scores mean nothing?
Heh.

Grecco said:
It was written by Seanbaby/thread.
My mistake. They've expressed these sorts of complaints in the past on 1UP/EGM podcasts. It was entirely plausible that it finally made its way from an ill-conceived idea into an ill-conceived article.

Slavik81 said:
Why exactly is it a bad thing that they let people develop that stuff? If it's not a good game, don't buy it.

Do you really want Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft choosing what games you're allowed to play?

Yeah, I find it odd how gamers and the press complain about these companies censoring AO-rated games like Manhunt since they're not allowed on their systems, yet they want them to choose which games should be released. The more creative freedom developers have, the better. Good developers will take advantage of that, but with that freedom comes opportunistic publishers releasing pure crap for a quick buck. Blame the publishers, complain about Phoenix games and IMAGINE DOLPHYNZ like we're doing. The EGMs and IGNs should do what they do and criticize these crappy games and the buying public should ignore them.

White Man

Red Scarlet said:
What's the taxi game look like?

I can't find the video for the life of me. It's called something like London Taxi or the like. It looked like an N64 port of Crazy Taxi. Insane pop in, non-existant textures, things just appearing when you got to close to them, out of nowhere.

Umm yeah, so we're on the same page. What's your point?

I read your post as "this article is a joke, its an insult to Nintendo", not as "this article is a joke, I actually know whats going on". Let me excuse myself then.

I always hear this brought up on 1Up Yours, and I can't help but shake my head. Does no one remember how much shit was released for the NES? Hell, 1UY even had a segment on it a while back. Jeopardy 25th, the buggiest freaking game I've ever played, has it. The Nintendo Seal of Quality never meant anything, get over it.

Rhindle

DeaconKnowledge said:
Microsoft and Sony wish they had this content.
No they don't. The mountain of utter crapola headed to Wii and DS is amazing. Very little of it would pass certification at SCEA, and certainly not at Microsoft.

This should be an interesting article. I think Nintendo will hurt its brand in the long run by exercising zero quality control.

White Man

The article is a joke for many reasons, not the least of which is that the question cited in the title of this topic has been asked ever since the NES days. Remember shit like Chubby Cherub? There were more garbage games on the NES than there are on the Wii. Does EGM think they are clever asking something that every game fan has asked sometime over the course of the past two decades?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
from wikepedia
The Nintendo Seal of Quality (currently known as Official Nintendo Seal in NTSC regions) is a gold seal that was first used by Nintendo of America and later adopted by Nintendo of Europe which places it on any game licensed for use on one of its video game consoles, denoting that the game has been properly licensed by Nintendo (and in theory, been checked for quality).

You gotta love journalists that research....

Edit: and I see that its not even that seal anymore, doesn't have the quality label.

The current Official Nintendo Seal is explained as follows: The official seal is your assurance that this product is licensed or manufactured by Nintendo. Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products.

Aside from being more general in its description, the Official Nintendo Seal does not vouch for quality like the old Official Nintendo Seal of Quality did.

Okay, as much as I'm getting a good chuckle out of this, I'm going to try and put out the fire a bit.

The article is a Seanbaby "Rest of the Crap" style piece. For those familiar with Seanbaby, you ought to know the appropriate response. For those who are not, taking Seanbaby seriously would be like getting your Iraq war coverage from Bozo the Clown.

schild

White Man said:
There were more garbage games on the NES than there are on the Wii.

That's because there are more games. I think, right now, we're at the proper ratio though.

Three good games.

Seventy some odd shite ones.

But this has been part of Nintendo's plan to sell their 1st party games since the N64 so it shouldn't shock anybody.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Okay, as much as I'm getting a good chuckle out of this, I'm going to try and put out the fire a bit.

The article is a Seanbaby "Rest of the Crap" style piece. For those familiar with Seanbaby, you ought to know the appropriate response. For those who are not, taking Seanbaby seriously would be like getting your Iraq war coverage from Bozo the Clown.

That explains it a bit. Seems weird that it would be in the front of the issue.

Rhindle

White Man said:
The article is a joke for many reasons, not the least of which is that the question cited in the title of this topic has been asked ever since the NES days. Remember shit like Chubby Cherub? There were more garbage games on the NES than there are on the Wii. Does EGM think they are clever asking something that every game fan has asked sometime over the course of the past two decades?
I think the point is that, in this day and age, SCEA and Microsoft enforce meaningful certification standards, whereas Nintendo has apparently chosen not to.

My guess is that they are not very interested in discouraging the perception that third party titles on their platforms are generally crap.

Rhindle said:
I think the point is that, in this day and age, SCEA and Microsoft enforce meaningful certification standards, whereas Nintendo has apparently chosen not to.

My guess is that they are not very interested in discouraging the perception that third party titles on their platforms are generally crap.

Don't confuse the economic infeasibility to low-budget crap developers of making and releasing high-def shovelware as "meaningful certification standards".

sphinx

the piano man
yeah, why talk about Wii crap and not from other systems? Because Wii appears to be the market leader and as such, hardcore gamers like the guys at EGM demand good quality content in what appears to be the console of people´s choice. In my own personal impression, the tie ratio from big budget, good games to crappy shovelware is like 20 to 1whereas with PS2, it felt like it was 10 to 1. I know you'll say " taken out from your ass" but it really feels that way. 3rd parties aren't trying, at all.

I for one approve EGM being outspoken about Wii getting too much crap. 3rd parties need some kind of wake up call so that they bring decent content to the platform, they have been, for the most part, a complete disaster.

I don't need to remind anyone here of the atrocities we've seen in Wii screenshots threads. It's o.k to have shovelware, every system has it but it comes to a point that 3rd parties are treating the wii like a garbage dump.

If this is a " 3rd parties, measure up or get the fuck out of here " kind of article, I am all for it, seriously.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vyer said:
Holy shit I've never seen White Van Racer before. that can't possibly be real.

But if it is, it's fuckin amazing.

Oh yes, it is, Ive seen it for £5 many times, never sells I bet.

Also, how many times do people need to say it, the Nintendo Seal was created to counter the causes of the 1983 video games crash, clones, unlicensed interopability of consoles and piracy, NOT "All games must be as good as Mario Galaxy"

Also, EGM, get a fucking clue, shovelware follows a successful system, PS1/2 had shedloads for it, GC...not so much, now Wii does, and will receive much more, you work it out.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
itxaka said:
Wait, are you sure of that? maybe is another of those 640p titles....

London Cab Racer : http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8qbSISQI4

Ok, that video made me choke, not out of laughter mind you, out of horror, that was on PS2? My god Pheonix games, what the hell were you thinking, it puts the "Car Vault" pics into perspective, at least that has some texture work, haha.

Stop It said:
Ok, that video made me choke, not out of laughter mind you, out of horror, that was on PS2? My god Pheonix games, what the hell were you thinking, it puts the "Car Vault" pics into perspective, at least that has some texture work, haha.
Wow, you weren't even picking up people, but arrows. Huge buildings just popped out of no where! Wow... i feel sorry for whoever bought that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Rhindle said:
No they don't. The mountain of utter crapola headed to Wii and DS is amazing. Very little of it would pass certification at SCEA, and certainly not at Microsoft.

I'd like to request a list -- I'm curious what you are referring to. I'm sure bad, budget games are coming, but I'd be surprised if they were radically unlike actual PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox360 titles.

Top Bottom