• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARCRAFT 2 ZERG Announcement Thread

YYZ

hmm, I like how Google calls Zergs "Zugs". I know I can translate using those things, but I was hoping someone here knows Korean.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
davepoobond said:
i hope they make ultras useful. i never used those. such a waste of resources

Depends on how you use them. They're not really the offensive powerhouses you'd expect them to be, but they're great meat shields to draw fire away from your smaller units while they do the real damage.

aznpxdd

Well, here's the update so far. Can't wait for the pics and vids.

Overlord

The overlord fulfils the same to the swarm. It has the ability to attack.

Zergling

Hydralisk

Lurker

Mutalisk

Baneling

Roach

The roach is a very fast moving unit that recovers health quickly.

Queen

The queen is a vastly different unit. She has the powerful ability to control Zerg base defence. The queen can create special structures and extend creep. It has the ability to create toxic creep. And it can make buildings regen faster.

Varied rates of regeneration appear to be a factor in StarCraft II.

Infestor

The infestor replaces the defiler. It can cast dark swarm.

Corruptor

The corruptor attacks air units. Instead of destroying them, it "corrupts" them. It can cause a large group of units to fight each other, quickly turning the tide of the battle.

Swarm Guardian

The swarm gaurdian is much like the original guardian, but it can now also create broodlings.

Ultralisk

Infested Terran

aznpxdd

davepoobond said:
or i do, and would rather just mass Hydras (which you can get like 10 for one ultra)

I don't want to sound like an elitist or anything, but sure...mass hydra would work if all you play is BGH or Fastest. On regular maps in a competitive match...you need Ultras against Terran or Protoss.

YYZ

GenericPseudonym said:
SCLEGACY is being hammered.
makes sense since every South Korean is doing this:

66kymig.gif

YYZ

This guy on GameFAQs posted this, nothing huge except the thing in spoilers.
Confirmed Units / Gameplay
Overlord
- Works like the original and now has an attack.

Queen
- The queen is a vastly different unit. She has the powerful ability to control Zerg base defense. The queen can create special structures and extend creep. It has the ability to create toxic creep. And it can make buildings regenerate faster.

Roach
- The roach is a very fast moving unit that recovers health quickly.

Infestor
- The infestor replaces the defiler. It can cast dark swarm.

Corrupter
- The corruptor attacks air units. Instead of destroying them, it "corrupts" them. It can cause a large group of units to fight each other, quickly turning the tide of the battle.

Swarm Guardian
- The swarm gaurdian is much like the original guardian, but it can now also create broodlings.

Artanis backwards is Sinatra

Mumei

davepoobond said:
or i do, and would rather just mass Hydras (which you can get like 5 for one ultra)

Except... that isn't as good as Defiler / Zergling / Ultralisk against Terran.

Maybe against Toss you could go for Hydralisks, but... Ultraling is also great for Toss rape.

FoxSpirit

davepoobond said:
or i do, and would rather just mass Hydras (which you can get like 5 for one ultra)

Actually Ultras are used in progaming late-game. In conjuntiontion with cracklings. Their armor prevents ridiculous amounts of damage fully upgraded.

But mass Hydras are also a definite tactic, when a player doesn't watch out the game ends at that point.

Depends a lot on matchup and tactics.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
aznpxdd said:
I don't want to sound like an elitist or anything, but sure...mass hydra would work if all you play is BGH or Fastest. On regular maps in a competitive match...you need Ultras against Terran or Protoss.

i guess that's a point, i dont ALWAYS play BGH/Fastest but i don't usually play very competitively against really really good players for that long. I'd usually die early in the game because of a rush attack if the other player was good before it even got to that point.

FoxSpirit said:
Actually Ultras are used in progaming late-game. In conjuntiontion with cracklings. Their armor prevents ridiculous amounts of damage fully upgraded.

But mass Hydras are also a definite tactic, when a player doesn't watch out the game ends at that point.

Depends a lot on matchup and tactics.

i will admit that ultras are very nice to use if you've got them all upgraded, cause they take forever to kill at that point. i usually don't waste my time/money with it though.

I guess it depends on what kind of games you usually stick to. I dont usually play 1 on 1 games or FFA, i usually like team-based games.

but i do go for a hydra/guard/muta combo usually.

aznpxdd

Eh...need better screens!

The creep looks very nice, but those buildings are waaay too cartoony & colorful to be zerg buildings IMO.

Edit: :O @ Ultras.

aznpxdd said:
Eh...need better screens!

The creep looks very nice, but those buildings are waaay too cartoony & colorful to be zerg buildings IMO.
They're colorful, but I don't think they look cartoony, in fact they look great - very putrescent, like some kind of really weird skin growth with tropical frog colors. Everything about those buildings sets off primal THIS THING IS POISON AND/OR SICK instincts when I look at them.

aznpxdd

That's the Queen, but its function is not even close to the old Queen.

Queen
- The queen is a vastly different unit. She has the powerful ability to control Zerg base defense. The queen can create special structures and extend creep. It has the ability to create toxic creep. And it can make buildings regenerate faster. Can only have 1 queen.

aznpxdd said:
That's the Queen, but its function is not even close to the old Queen.

Queen
- The queen is a vastly different unit. She has the powerful ability to control Zerg base defense. The queen can create special structures and extend creep. It has the ability to create toxic creep. And it can make buildings regenerate faster. Can only have 1 queen.
:-O

aznpxdd

YYZ said:
someone remind me what is the tactic for fighting/detecting burrowed zergs?

Detectors.

maniac-kun said:
sounds like the queen is like the protoss mothership kind of special unit

You can build multiple motherships in the current build, but of course its been tweaked.

fatty

H.Cornerstone said:
Observers/Overlords/Science Vessels can see them while burrowed and therefore you can then attack them.

That's why you'd want to stick with an Ulta-rush, pretty much unstoppable against any race...

:)

Top Bottom