• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARCRAFT 2 ZERG Announcement Thread

Draft said:
But, big :lol at this paragraph:
What the hell man, that's exactly what WC3 heroes are :lol
Nah....think of the Queen as a movable/attackable building that you can upgrade several tiers using minerals and vaspane gas! :D
Akia said:
Fighting a Zerg Roach user is going to be an epic game of Whack-a-Mole.
:lol

phez

Banned
also, sclegacy has 2 other HD videos up ... not sure exactly which ones they are, but they are being streamed from veoh ...

http://sclegacy.com/

also, apparently they're gonna get some exclusive stuff in the coming days:

StarCraft: Legacy will have rare access to a live Blizzard press showcase of StarCraft II. Zero, our esteemed moderator, will be representing StarCraft: Legacy in Irvine, California during this press event. He will be providing information, updates, and impressions. Our coverage today will include the most up to date information with the most in-depth analysis as fast as possible. Equiliari produced a pair of sketches for today's release. He used concept artwork as the source.

This is how the day will be structured:
Introductions between the attendees at Blizzard HQ.
Cinematic Video shown to attendees.
Gameplay Video shown to attendees.
Q&A with Dustin Browder
StarCraft II playable by attendees.

Media

Video
HD trailers via Veoh. Interviews with Cavez and Samwise
Korea trailer, Korea gameplay, link to pro gameplay

High Resolution Gameplay

Low Resolution Gameplay

Concept Art

Draft said:
So the Queen IS a unique unit, and so is the Thor. I dunno. We'll see. I'm not crazy on the concept of heroes in SC2, but I don't know nearly enough about how they work to have a real opinion.

The Thor isn't one of a kind, the reviewer was smoking.

Hell, they show 3 of them together in the Zerg gameplay announcement video alone. :lol
Draft said:
But, big :lol at this paragraph:
What the hell man, that's exactly what WC3 heroes are :lol

the CRUCIAL difference of heroes is that they level up from experience. You upgrade the Queen with vespene/minerals, which means theres a ton more flexibility in how you use her.

Plus, she's crap except at base defense it seems. So nothing like a hero, really. More like a unique base defense model instead of ye olde turrets/sunken colonies.

aznpxdd

What's up with people keep insisting SC2 has Hero units? Damn, Blizzard is one of the best and most sensible developers in the world, and they know not to fuck with their fanbase. If there were to be an hero unit, every SC-related forum (including their own) would be spam to oblivion. The Queen is nowhere close to a hero unit, its just something to further differentiate the play style between the 3 races, which is great.

SRG01

Zzoram said:
There are one-of-a-kind units in Starcraft 2, but they are not hereos. They do not gain experience from killing enemies or creeps, they do not pick up items nor do they have an inventory. They get upgrades by paying for them, and the upgrades should take some time to build.

In the case of the Queen, most of her abilities only work when she's in your base, on the creep (making your buildings attack with fireflies, putting down creep tumors, shriekers, healing your buildings, tunneling between hatcheries, poisoning the creep). She would be quite vulnerable anywhere else, and is therefore only useful as a defensive unit.

The analogy is to C&C's commando and soon-to-be released unique units, except upgradeable. Also, I'm assuming that these units can't pick up items either.

I'm not sure where this WCIII heroes analogy is coming from when they're obviously not.

Zzoram said:
Sounds like you have to burrow the Roach for it's super healing to happen, good to see that the game will still be micro-intensive :D

Actually, no burrowing is required.

Per GameTap:

GameTap article said:
As a test, I had a single roach take on a Protoss colossus (those giant robotic walkers), and the much-smaller roach won, because even the colossus’ crazy laser show didn’t deliver enough hurt in a short enough period of time.

aznpxdd

Damn its fuckin' annoying watch Koreans play. Always clicking everywhere when they don't need to to bring their APM up.

mint

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Damn its fuckin' annoying watch Koreans play. Always clicking everywhere when they don't need to to bring their APM up.
Well, its to maintain their speedyness. Resting your hands mean you're not playing to the fullest potential.

Rur0ni

It's pretty amazing that Blizzard is letting people play the game at this stage, offering critique, etc. It looks really awesome too. Can't wait to buy it. I wish Blizzard would put their stuff on Steam. Atari just jumped in. Activision (Activision/Vivendi merger...??) is in, so maybe Blizzard games will get put on soon?

Zyzyxxz

Rur0ni said:
It's pretty amazing that Blizzard is letting people play the game at this stage, offering critique, etc. It looks really awesome too. Can't wait to buy it. I wish Blizzard would put their stuff on Steam. Atari just jumped in. Activision (Activision/Vivendi merger...??) is in, so maybe Blizzard games will get put on soon?

steam is good for games that do not have a good online infrastructure but Battle.net is far more than sufficient

Rur0ni

Zyzyxxz said:
steam is good for games that do not have a good online infrastructure but Battle.net is far more than sufficient
Well I mean, steam just provides digital downloads and patches for games, not some sort of central server.

Vaporak

Zyzyxxz said:

I think he just wants to be able to buy it through steam, and I'd like to agree. Battle.net is a great online gaming service, but I'd still like to have a steam copy of SC2.

Minsc

Gold Member
Rur0ni said:

Blizzard, the (only?) people who make you go to a store and buy a game which can only be played online? I think it's highly unlikely a game which can be enjoyed offline would be offered online from them, especially one of their biggest AAA titles. But who knows, I have nothing against there being more choices, odds seems against it to me though.

epmode

Zyzyxxz said:
Steam would allow for a no-CD option at launch. I doubt SC2 will see a similar patch for several months, if not years.

edit: Also, Steam patches >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that goddamn Blizzard updater.

Zzoram

Proelite said:
It seems as if the zerg really has a lot trouble early game compared to the protoss.

That may be partly due to the unbalanced state of the game, but it's also because the Zerg players aren't playing as well. The Colossus raid is the new Reaver Drop, the Zerg player should've saw it coming, and had more than just Zerglings (which the Colossus is strong against). The Zerg in that Gametrailers video also has pretty messed up build order. Also, that attempt to use the Queen offensively was :lol

traveler

Not Wario
So was there no narrated walkthrough of the new Zerg stuff like the Protoss and Terran gameplay they first showed? I'm happy with the footage we've gotten, but I was hoping for something more akin to those vids.

Lord Phol

I read through this thread and noticed a few people worrying about balanceing issues and the looks of some of the units.
So instead of writing some long post about how silly that is and how early this game still is in development in those areas compared to the final product. All I'm gonna say is, it's still in Alpha, this is blizzard we're talking about, and let me introduce you to..

STARCRAFT Pre-release!

Pre-Alpha
prealpha1.jpg

prealpha3.jpg

ooo I like me some space crystals

Alpha
starcraft_alpha.jpg

delicious tomato-soup lava is delicious

Early Beta
starcraft_early_beta.jpg

is that defiler flying? o_O

Beta
starcraft_beta.jpg

Needs bigger Pylons!!!11

Source: http://www.starfeeder.com/blog/archives/before_starcraft_pre_alpha_alpha_and_beta/

On another note, I'm rather impressed by blizzards perfectionism of their games and dedication to their fans. Just checked the starcraft wiki, and seeing how they've already scrapped some ideas and changed stuff to please people (like tempest being replaced by carriers) is a good indication that SC2 will be a great game.
Actually quite relieved they got rid of the Soul Hunters, god those were some fugly Nechron look-alikes :x.

Soulhunter.gif

pewpew!

Top Bottom