• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARCRAFT 2 ZERG Announcement Thread

FoxSpirit

Minsc said:
Anyone have a direct link to download? Now's your chance to shine gamevideos! That is basically a slideshow for me D:

Load this mms://stream.thisisgame.com/ncsoftext/this/Movie News/progamerplay.wmv
with FlashGet.

mint

Banned
Proelite said:
I concur. Blizzard needs to replace some of the art staff since a lot of the units look they were designed by an amature. I.E. Seige tanks, lurkers, and the new infestors.

Case in point. The god awful Mecha concept art.
ss47-hires.jpg
Dude, its Samwise..he's been around for the longest time with Blizzard. And he's the art director of Blizzard. But I agree that he's not used to drawing mechas lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
aznpxdd said:
I doubt it, they said the adventure style gameplay between missions is only for the Terran (since it obviously wouldn't make sense for Z & P). They said Zerg and Protoss's campaign will be completely different from Terran, can't wait to see what they have instore for the SP.

They should have something as cool tho.

Proelite

Technosteve said:
samwise did the art for starcraft 1 so i dunno he did a good job fleshing out the new ZZZZZZZEERRRRRRGGGGG keke

Who ever did the new battlecruiser is pretty good. Except it's not the one being used in gameplay. Cg maybe?

ss49-hires.jpg

rezuth

Just watched the Terran video on Starcraft2 website, somehow I had missed it. It kinda seems like they gone overboard with stuff. It is going to be hard when you need 500 diffrent type of units to counter everything. I also hate the new super units, worst idea ever.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Samwise is an awesome artist, and a huge part of why blizzard games look so damn cool.

And the Thor turned out just fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
rezuth said:
Just watched the Terran video on Starcraft2 website, somehow I had missed it. It kinda seems like they gone overboard with stuff. It is going to be hard when you need 500 diffrent type of units to counter everything. I also hate the new super units, worst idea ever.

That is basically what makes an RTS good to me. Checks and balances. Certain units perform better against other units. This is how it should be. It's boring if all the units do the same thing, and you can make the same build every game.

aznpxdd

rezuth said:

There are no super units in SC2.

rezuth

aznpxdd said:
There are no super units in SC2.
Joke post?
Minsc said:
That is basically what makes an RTS good to me. Checks and balances. Certain units perform better against other units. This is how it should be. It's boring if all the units do the same thing, and you can make the same build every game.
I don't know if you played Starcraft+Broodwar but I sure have. The reason I bring this up is that I'm afraid they will go all out too much. Meaning that people will rush with a type of unit and you are dead because there is no way you can get any unit to counter it yet. The problem as I see it is that it will be another Starcraft and we will have to wait untill an expansion before its really balanced.
Zyzyxxz said:
the video demonstrations are exaggerated to make the new units look cool.

The game will come out polished and balance. When was the last time Blizzard made a bad game?

Somebody tell me please?
That might be true actually but come on! Blizzard are bound to make a bad game sometime.

Zyzyxxz

rezuth said:

the video demonstrations are exaggerated to make the new units look cool.

The game will come out polished and balance. When was the last time Blizzard made a bad game?

Somebody tell me please?

rezuth said:
Joke post?

not a joke post, just because the Ultralisk or Mothership are giant and strong as hell does not mean you cannot spend the same amount of resources to counter it.

Zyzyxxz

rezuth said:
I don't know if you played Starcraft+Broodwar but I sure have. The reason I bring this up is that I'm afraid they will go all out too much. Meaning that people will rush with a type of unit and you are dead because there is no way you can get any unit to counter it yet. The problem as I see it is that it will be another Starcraft and we will have to wait untill an expansion before its really balanced.

Other than dragoons and high templars from v1.0, starcraft was really balanced already anyway, much more than most games that come out.

Vaporak

Zyzyxxz said:
not a joke post, just because the Ultralisk or Mothership are giant and strong as hell does not mean you cannot spend the same amount of resources to counter it.

Seems like you can only have one Zerg Queen so you could say that's a super unit. The other sides don't seem to have anything like that anymore.

aznpxdd

rezuth said:
Joke post?

Uh, you can build multiple Thors (if that's the one you think is super) and Motherships, they are not super units. They have been tweaked by Blizzard to become normal units. So yeah, do some research before talking.

As for the Queen, since it was just announced yesterday, there's not much detail on it. But so far we know its meant for base defense, not offense.

rezuth

aznpxdd said:
Uh, you can build multiple Thors (if that's the one you think is super) and Motherships, they are not super units. They have been tweaked by Blizzard to become normal units. So yeah, do some research before talking.

As for the Queen, since it was just announced yesterday, there's not much detail on it. But so far we know its meant for base defense, not offense.
I never said you could not build multiple thors or Motherships. I have done research and as far as I can tell they are MUCH better than normal units. So I call them super(You know as in something extremly good) units for that very reason.
Zyzyxxz said:
Other than dragoons and high templars from v1.0, starcraft was really balanced already anyway, much more than most games that come out.
I suppose you have forgotten the Zerg spawning time, Marines not having medics, Marines cost, Build time and units spell time. The list goes on and on, I think people are forgetting it took many patches untill we came as far as we are today.

aznpxdd

Then I guess Battlecruisers and Carriers were super units.

*rolls eye*

Did you even see how easy it was for some banelings to take out Thors?

Minsc

Gold Member
rezuth said:

Here's a trick question. How many years between the release of Starcraft and Brood War? Answer:

Furthermore, I don't think you're understanding the checks and balances gameplay. If people rush with a type of unit that is extremely specialized, it will more than likely die. A unit that is meant to be built for taking out a certain type of unit generally has a lot more weaknesses than a typical unit to offset it's ability to kill that certain unit type very well.

Mugen

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Look at the ferocity of the guy on the left... you can see it under his calm demeanor, once the match gets going he turns into a beast.

Can't forget about his opponent though, the intensity of his focus only shows how many years of training has gone under his belt.

:D

You want to hump him, don't you?

rezuth

aznpxdd said:
Then I guess Battlecruisers and Carriers were super units.

*rolls eye*

Did you even see how easy it was for some banelings to take out Thors?
Lets see here.
Carrier- Hitpoints/(Shields) 300/150

Mothership- Hitpoints/(Shields) 850/350

Big diffrence IMO ... Maybe you meant building time... Lets see..
Carrier- Build time 140

Mothership- Build time 140 sec

No... :\
Maybe you meant in how they can attack!
Carrier-
Interceptors are small, computer-controlled strike craft armed with plasma-charges. They cannot exist without the Carrier that built them. Should it be destroyed, the Interceptors will self destruct.

Mothership-
* Time Bomb - Slows down all enemy movement within a radius around the Mothership's position when it casts this. It also stops ranged weapons from reaching their targets, causing projectiles to "collect" within the field and drop harmlessly to the ground when the effect ends. Ideal for dealing with static defense like Missile Turrets.
o Time Bomb can stop attacks such as nukes.
o Time Bomb cannot stop beam attacks, such as those of the Colossus or Warp Ray.
* Planet Cracker - Deals massive damage to an area directly below the Mothership's position (ideal for destroying buildings and slow-moving targets such as Siege Tanks) over a period of time. It has no effect on air units.
* Cloaking Field: The Mothership has the ability to cloak not only all ground units under it, similar to that of the Arbiter, but buildings as well. The field is only active when the Mothership is stationary.
No... Can't be that either... So what DID you mean?

aznpxdd

Sigh...like I said, do some fuckin' research before making a fool out of yourself.

In the current build, Motherships' stats:

Hit Points: 300
Shields: 250
Energy: 300

Minerals: 300
Vespene: 500
Build Time: 140
Supply: 8

Proelite

With the protoss carrier, the mothership seems kind of redundant. I hope it gets made into a speciality unit like the arbiter was.

rezuth

aznpxdd said:
Sigh...like I said, do some fuckin' research before making a fool out of yourself.

In the current build, Motherships' stats:

Hit Points: 300
Shields: 250
Energy: 300

Minerals: 300
Vespene: 500
Build Time: 140
Supply: 8
I have done research, thank you. I had actually not been able to find the stats from the latest build. Could you care to link me since I want to check out some more stuff. I will be the first to admit I was wrong but if you agreed with me. The stats before this build was making it look like a super unit.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Holy shit - quit your bitch slapping about stats and whatever fuck else you're both spitting dummies about and wait till you play the game for yourself. Between now and then, Blizzard could do a million things that alters the gameplay.

Draft

I will say this: my preference is that SC2 does NOT have super units or heroes or anything like that. If I want to attempt a super tech rush and max my pop with 12 motherships, then let me. I don't like arbitrary pop caps on particular units.

Haunted

I really liked the RPG elements (leveling, inventory) the hero units brought to Warcraft III.

I guess notable/named units will still be stronger than regulars, but I'll still be miffed if they really drop the RPG aspects altogether. :/

Haunted One said:
I really liked the RPG elements (leveling, inventory) the hero units brought to Warcraft III.

I guess notable/named units will still be stronger than regulars, but I'll still be miffed if they really drop the RPG aspects altogether. :/
You could always play an RPG if you don't like RTS games so much.

Haunted One said:

it felt tacked on and stupid if you ask me.

firex

I like everything I've heard so far about SC2. Honestly I never liked all the micro in Warcraft 3, and it sounds like SC2's not going to have as much of that. Plus all the big armies and lack of heroes sound great.

Zerg look awesome. I just hope Protoss is better balanced since they always seemed to have a few units that were game breaking in their cost/power compared to similar units.

surazal

Haunted One said:

The warcraft3 style hero and rpgs aspects were not popular in Korea. Since Korea is the largest market for Starcraft 2, they'll be sticking to mechanics from the original Starcraft.

Minsc

Gold Member
Haunted One said:

They're doing it the proper way, leaving all the inventory and leveling between the campaign levels only (and only in Terran campaign too). I'd be extremely upset to find out Starcraft II micro turned in to Warcraft 3's macro gameplay, which is really just microing the macro better than your opponent. Save the RPG/RTS hybrid enthusiasm for Warcraft IV or DoW:2 (which does the heroes aspect much better than WC3 for me).

Heroes, inventory management, experience, and that stuff fits better in a TBS, where you play at a pace more conductive to it. Games like Heroes or Disciples are great examples of having RPG elements in a strategy game.

I just don't understand the draw of collecting items and equipping them and leveling up individual units, when all that does is provide a distraction to the main element of a RTS game, co-ordinating your forces/army in a superior way, and adapting to and exploiting your opponents armies/strengths/weaknesses. Starcraft is at its finest just focusing on the building, resource control, and battles. Moving focus on to collecting artifacts or gaining experience would take away from what draws so many people to the game I think.

so hot

Minsc said:
They're doing it the proper way, leaving all the inventory and leveling between the campaign levels only (and only in Terran campaign too). I'd be extremely upset to find out Starcraft II micro turned in to Warcraft 3's macro gameplay, which is really just microing the macro better than your opponent. Save the RPG/RTS hybrid enthusiasm for Warcraft IV or DoW:2 (which does the heroes aspect much better than WC3 for me).

Heroes, inventory management, experience, and that stuff fits better in a TBS, where you play at a pace more conductive to it. Games like Heroes or Disciples are great examples of having RPG elements in a strategy game.

I just don't understand the draw of collecting items and equipping them and leveling up individual units, when all that does is provide a distraction to the main element of a RTS game, co-ordinating your forces/army in a superior way, and adapting to and exploiting your opponents armies/strengths/weaknesses. Starcraft is at its finest just focusing on the building, resource control, and battles. Moving focus on to collecting artifacts or gaining experience would take away from what draws so many people to the game I think.
yep. nice post

the voiceover sounded better in the cam though. oh well. also a little too much warcraft actually in those "in-game cinematic" moments. the art direction I mean, looks like world of warcraft.

YYZ

They should probably do CG for those types of things. It looked and sounded cheesy to be honest.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kodiak said:
Samwise is an awesome artist, and a huge part of why blizzard games look so damn cool.

And the Thor turned out just fine.

I thought it was their cinematics group that made all those awesome CG that people liked, the kind of concept art they were used to pumping out were obviously great when they were designing sprites and maybe even for WOW where we're not dealing with a shit-ton of polygons or highly detailed characters, and one can see that they're working closely with their cinematics team because the briefing room character models looked pretty good but the concept art? Why would the concept art cut it looking like that? Maybe the actual units would need to be kept simple enough with only certain things accentuated but the actual concept art itself isn't exactly stellar.

And where's Kerrigan?

Top Bottom