• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARCRAFT 2 ZERG Announcement Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
S8 RoXoRz said:
Thank You!!! Hype for SC2 reached the stars!!!

I am guessing that's Kerrigan at the end of the trailer? Not sure though =(

Isn't Kerrigan supposed to be some sort of human/zerg hybrid with two legs?

Xamdou

Kittonwy said:
Isn't Kerrigan supposed to be some sort of human/zerg hybrid with two legs?

Yeah your right, No Kerrigan in the trailer and the narrator don't sound anything like Kerrigan either =(

IzumiK

Banned

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
IzumiK said:
I thought that megaupload video was that 9 minute youtube video.

Is there no hi def video of that 9 minute thing? Most of it seem like it was a part of the zerg reveal trailer.

Hey, that's the stuff! Hmm... any HD videos?
Unfortunately no HD for these.

Blame Blizzard.

I still don't like the idea of units like the queen and mothership. I don't particularly like it when you can only build 1 of something like that.

Other than that no real complaints.

Zyzyxxz

AdventureRacing said:
I still don't like the idea of units like the queen and mothership. I don't particularly like it when you can only build 1 of something like that.

Other than that no real complaints.

you can build more than one mothership, they aren't as powerful as they were in the past.

The queen isnt meant for offense, think of it as a mother protecting its children, strong at home but once easily outnumbered outside she is no real threat.

traveler

Not Wario
Blizzard didn't put up the Terran HD footage until nearly a month or so had passed (maybe more?) since the demonstration. I wouldn't count on Zerg HD footage anytime soon. :(

Zyzyxxz said:
you can build more than one mothership, they aren't as powerful as they were in the past.

The queen isnt meant for offense, think of it as a mother protecting its children, strong at home but once easily outnumbered outside she is no real threat.

awesome:D

On another note what do yous think about ultralisks, personally i much prefer there old design. This new design just doesn't seem as badass, especially the attack animation/sound effect.

They pretty much drive the StarCraft plot line, and they're also probably the race that is the most unique to StarCraft in terms of their style of gameplay.

surazal

KarishBHR said:
Im not a Starcraft fan, but I am interested in this game... can someone tell me why the zerg are such a big announcement?

It brings the game one step closer to being released.

SupahBlah

Banned
KarishBHR said:
Im not a Starcraft fan, but I am interested in this game... can someone tell me why the zerg are such a big announcement?

They're the Big Bad of the series.

Also they play differently than sides in other games.

U K Narayan said:
Is Glynnis Talken Campbell voicing Kerrigan in StarCraft II?

Because that sounds nothing like the Kerrigan I remember.

I know not an amazing source but IMDB has the voices of Kerrigan, Raynor, Artanis and Duran returning.

firex

KarishBHR said:
More than what everyone else has said, they're also the third (and final) race of the game. So zerg being announced means anything else we get on the game is entirely new info.

Barakov

lybertyboy said:
Starcraft II 'Zerg Action' gameplay (9 minute video) - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/17938

The flash video is 640x360 (Fullscreen by clicking box in lower right hand corner of player)

Download QT at 960x540

Download WMV-HD at 1280x720 (Coming soon)

Wow. I'm not really into RTSs but that is fucking amazing. I really should go pick up the first one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Do any of the Zerg gameplay videos have background music yet? It's awkwardly silent with it missing from all the ones I saw.

Proelite

Wow, the infestor looks fugly. :lol
939643_20080309_screen031.jpg

939643_20080309_screen032.jpg

Zyzyxxz

dam that 9 minute video was badass.

The Infestor looks like something that belongs on the scourge in Warcraft instead

aznpxdd said:
Eh, doesn't really fit the Zerg IMO, too fat and stubby. I rather they bring back the Defiler model.

They got rid of the defiler? It was my favorite zerg unit:(

Also i agree that infester just doesn't seem to fit.

Akia

Akia said:
Starcraft II Blowout Tonight @ 1UP

It's here: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166871

Click the link for the full details.

Milky's 1UP Impressions said:
While the Roaches don't have a lot of HP, they have a regenerative ability that lets them burrow underground and heal back to full health in seconds, making them resilient, resource-light ground soldiers. You need fast, heavy firepower to kill them effectively (Terrans: Use Siege Tanks).

The Queen is a specialized unit that can be upgraded multiple times (to a Large Queen, then a Huge Queen, et cetera). The bigger she grows, the more powerful she becomes -- which is important since you can only have one at any given time. The Queen lays down structures like Creep Tumors, which spread the creep. Other structures like the Swarm Clutch and the Shrieker replace the old-school creep colonies, spore colonies, and sunken colonies. The graphical presentation and detail of these structures is delightfully perverse -- eyeballs embedded in the creep, for example.

Since protecting the Queen is of the utmost importance to a Zerg player (since she can wreak havoc on enemy troops, heal friendly units, and -- get this -- cause Zerg buildings themselves to attack enemy troops in a frenzy), think of her like the Queen in the game of chess: She's incredibly strong, but you only get one -- and if you lose her (in the case of StarCraft II), you lose her upgrades.'

If you upgrade your Overlords to Overseers, their vision expands the longer you stay still. Once they move, however, the field of view shrinks back to default status until you rest again. Overlords* can now perform irritating (to the enemy) moves, like Mineral Infestation, which prevents a foe from being able to mine and can quickly and efficiently cut off his income -- without which he'll be unable to build units.

*Has to be a typo.

Infest a Terran Barracks, and watch as it spits out half a dozen infested marines in a heartbeat. The balancing factor is that these units have a specific life span and can't be used indefinitely. These units are meant to be disposable.

(the Terran Thor -- a powerful one-of-a-kind unit -- had a Schwarzenegger voice, which was totally awesome)

Draft

So the Queen IS a unique unit, and so is the Thor. I dunno. We'll see. I'm not crazy on the concept of heroes in SC2, but I don't know nearly enough about how they work to have a real opinion.

But, big :lol at this paragraph:
Since protecting the Queen is of the utmost importance to a Zerg player (since she can wreak havoc on enemy troops, heal friendly units, and -- get this -- cause Zerg buildings themselves to attack enemy troops in a frenzy), think of her like the Queen in the game of chess: She's incredibly strong, but you only get one -- and if you lose her (in the case of StarCraft II), you lose her upgrades. Fortunately, the Queen has a move called Deep Tunnel that allows her to burrow and resurface near any of her buildings. While some have suggested the Queen is like a hero unit from Warcraft III, that's not the case. You simply level her up to unlock additional tiers of abilities, and her ability list (including moves like Swarm Infestation and Regeneration) fills up almost her entire ability screen.
What the hell man, that's exactly what WC3 heroes are :lol

Akia said:
It's here: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3166871

Click the link for the full details.

Absolutely amazing; as a zerg player I'm extremely impressed with this. That reveal of the Protoss really impressed me and at the time I couldn't see how the other races would be able to compete. Then the Terran were revealed and I had similar thoughts. But now that it sounds like the zerg are absolutely badass I'm behind happy :D

Mrbob

I wasn't big into multi Warcraft 3, but couldn't you respawn heroes?

It sounds like the "heroes" in Starcraft 2 are specialized units once you lose them they are gone for good.

I'm not too sure I like this aspect, but Blizzard won't fuck it up.

Akia

Draft said:
What the hell man, that's exactly what WC3 heroes are :lol

In Warcraft III, your hero didn't lose their abilities upon death. Theoretically in Starcraft II, a player can destroy their opponents "hero" advantage and turn the tide in battle.. Not to mention that the unit is primarily being used defensively and has low HP. From the way things are sounding I think I'd actually prefer it to dragging drones around to build towers, repair buildings and spawn more creep area.

PhoenixDark said:
Absolutely amazing; as a zerg player I'm extremely impressed with this. That reveal of the Protoss really impressed me and at the time I couldn't see how the other races would be able to compete. Then the Terran were revealed and I had similar thoughts. But now that it sounds like the zerg are absolutely badass I'm behind happy :D

I completely agree. They just need to make the Zerg look nastier and change some unit models.

Zzoram

Mrbob said:

It sounds like the "heroes" in Starcraft 2 are specialized units once you lose them they are gone for good.

There are one-of-a-kind units in Starcraft 2, but they are not hereos. They do not gain experience from killing enemies or creeps, they do not pick up items nor do they have an inventory. They get upgrades by paying for them, and the upgrades should take some time to build.

In the case of the Queen, most of her abilities only work when she's in your base, on the creep (making your buildings attack with fireflies, putting down creep tumors, shriekers, healing your buildings, tunneling between hatcheries, poisoning the creep). She would be quite vulnerable anywhere else, and is therefore only useful as a defensive unit.

Draft

Mrbob said:

Yes, and they leveled up by killing stuff, not with resources. I am just breaking his balls because the Queen at least sounds very, very close to what WC3 heroes were.

Akia

The Zerg reveal just completely reaffirms that Starcraft II B.net is going to consume my life.

I'm actually quite scared of this game's release.

Zzoram

One new unit, the Roach, is halfway between a Zergling and a Hydralisk (the Zerg's second-tier warrior that can attack both land and air, and is a force to be reckoned with en masse). It has a ranged attack like the Hydralisk, but can't target aerial enemies. Reports out of South Korea suggest it's too good of a soldier for its low cost. Chances are the cost will be raised per unit after Blizzard's done balancing the game (which is still pre-alpha), but the Roach is so effective it may lead to a new term called "Roaching," or a "Roach Rush." While the Roaches don't have a lot of HP, they have a regenerative ability that lets them burrow underground and heal back to full health in seconds, making them resilient, resource-light ground soldiers. - 1UP

Sounds like you have to burrow the Roach for it's super healing to happen, good to see that the game will still be micro-intensive :D

Akia

Zzoram said:
Sounds like you have to burrow the Roach for it's super healing to happen, good to see that the game will still be micro-intensive :D

Fighting a Zerg Roach user is going to be an epic game of Whack-a-Mole.

Zzoram

Also, the 1UP preview is a bit sloppy. The corrupter isn't the replacement to the defiler, the infestor is, the corrupter replaces the devourer. Also, he mentioned that he had Dark Archons, which probably means Twilight Archons.

Top Bottom