• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

So I'm up to the Fishmen Island arc. I hear people consider this the next worst arc after Skypia/Davyback fight; is that true? How does the show in general hold up post time-skip? Should I expect a drop in quality on the level of Shippuden in terms of arcs, characters and story?

Moaradin

Fishmen Island is definitely a low point. The arc after isn't too bad when you binge it. The current arc is pretty great if a bit long. Binging it will be nice though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So I'm up to the Fishmen Island arc. I hear people consider this the next worst arc after Skypia/Davyback fight; is that true? How does the show in general hold up post time-skip? Should I expect a drop in quality on the level of Shippuden in terms of arcs, characters and story?
Fishman Island is one of my favorite arcs. There isn't much action and the villain is pretty lackluster but it adds a lot from a plot and world building perspective. It's also one of the most gorgeous locations in the series.

It start well but I didn't really care for it once they reached Fishman Island. There's also 9 straight episodes just on backstory in the middle of it that I should have probably skipped.

Moaradin

The backstory was probably my favorite part of Fishmen Island LOL

Plus it comes up later in a cool way so I think it was worth it.

haha, almost an exact 50/50 response, thisisneogaf.gif

So far it's okay. I'm up to Luffy meeting the Mermaid Princess. It started off a bit silly (Sanji almost actually dying from that nosebleed gag, really?), and the villains so far seem either unthreatening (Vander Decken/Caribou) or like a retread (Hordy Jones), but I guess I'll wait and see how it unfolds.

I'm a little annoyed at how little information the Strawhats have revealed to each other about their last two years apart. I'm looking at you Nico Robin, who also got completely whitewashed! What the hell did Dragon talk to her about?

Late on the last episode but it could have really covered more ground, the comedy moment could have been cut as well as the moment with them trying to decide to help Luffy or not :/ OH well since I saw it late at least the next part of the fight is only [1] day away.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode delayed to next week thanks to the North Korean missile (the news reporting on it that is).

Bright side is that it gives the anime a bit more of a buffer for the next arc.

I don't know why I thought Luffy might have recovered by the end of this episode. At least he should by the end of the next one.

I haven't watched any of this arc except for the last 4ish episodes because of what people thought about it, so I have no idea who Sabo is unless he's the pink haired kid from way back.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know why I thought Luffy might have recovered by the end of this episode. At least he should by the end of the next one.

I haven't watched any of this arc except for the last 4ish episodes because of what people thought about it, so I have no idea who Sabo is unless he's the pink haired kid from way back.

Doubtful... There's a reason Luffy's recovery has been compared to Namek.

You forgot Luffy's flashback that followed Marineford? The one where he met Ace and then met Sabo who was supposedly killed by a Celestial Dragon for the horrible crime of "getting in my way"?
Also, Coby reappeared after Enies Lobby with a new look.

How have you forgotten these things?

Jarnet87

I just started the anime, currently at episode 25. Luffy reminds me a bit of Goku, but that is probably common in a ton of shonen manga. I've enjoyed it so far, I hope it doesn't go down the Bleach road.

Firestorm

I just started the anime, currently at episode 25. Luffy reminds me a bit of Goku, but that is probably common in a ton of shonen manga. I've enjoyed it so far, I hope it doesn't go down the Bleach road.
One Piece should not be compared to the filth that is Bleach. You've gotten past the boring bits of One Piece so you're in for a fun ride from here on out =)

Even if you (for some reason) don't like it, One Piece does not have Bleach's writing philosophy of "explain power for full chapter, use said power, lather, rinse, repeat."

Enjoy your about to get on a roller coaster of crazy. No series can ever fall to bleach levels.

Doubtful... There's a reason Luffy's recovery has been compared to Namek.

You forgot Luffy's flashback that followed Marineford? The one where he met Ace and then met Sabo who was supposedly killed by a Celestial Dragon for the horrible crime of "getting in my way"?
Also, Coby reappeared after Enies Lobby with a new look.

How have you forgotten these things?

Yeah I don't remember that flashback at all. I remember him being at Ace's and Whitebeard's grave at the end of the special about World though. If this happened during the long backstory of Fishman Island then I might have skipped over it.

It's so hard for me to not compare DBZ and One Piece when watching the dubs because of how many voice actors they share.

One Piece should not be compared to the filth that is Bleach. You've gotten past the boring bits of One Piece so you're in for a fun ride from here on out =)
Really, cause Skypia was such a slog. I loooove the show and world but I wish I had a condensed playlist for the "survival game" shit. But yeah, Baratie and beyond, the show skyrockets, especially if you binge watch.

I'm trying to get a curious friend into OP, but he quits in the first few eps. Trying to get him to muscle through till Arlong Park at least, that's where the series really sunk it's teeth for me.

Going by that preview... they better explain well why Zoro can't just cut the damn cage open.

Also if even Burgess would be able to steal a devil fruit power, it can't be very complicated. I'm waiting to see if ever someone other than Blackbeard steals a second one. Because if it's not due to something exclusive to him due to his special body or whatever, everyone in OP could get a power up. Imagine the possible combinations :D

Oda (the original creator) is a huge fan of Dragonball and Akira Toriyama, and they heavily influence the series. Of course this is also in a "I need to stand out from Dragonball" way as well and I feel one piece fixes a lot of Dragonball's issues

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Because I've heard terrible things about it in this thread. Also I binged Thriller Bark to Punk Hazard in a month and needed to take a break. Haven't really felt like going back except for new episodes.
You need the manga, so much easier to binge or deal with on a week to week basis than the anime. :(

Moaradin

Funi is catching up. Imagine a simuldub in a few years.

Kreygasm.png

Dugna

Holy shi.....funimation!!!! I love these guys so damn fast

Haha same day as one piece burning blood which has a heavy emphasis on marineford well played funi.

not sure if you would know this or anybody else, but did those Marineford editions of Burning Blood really sell out that fast? I heard about the US release of the game and then the LE but the next day I went to check it just wasn't up, I mean the doffy edition of PW3 lasted longer then that....

not sure if you would know this or anybody else, but did those Marineford editions of Burning Blood really sell out that fast? I heard about the US release of the game and then the LE but the next day I went to check it just wasn't up, I mean the doffy edition of PW3 lasted longer then that....
Apparently so yea. The doffy version didn't have a disclaimer that they only had 5,000 copies as well tho. Gamestop still has them if you hurry. I got mine from amazon.

Dugna

Apparently so yea. The doffy version didn't have a disclaimer that they only had 5,000 copies as well tho. Gamestop still has them if you hurry. I got mine from amazon.

You mean gamestop still has marineford editions? I check on their site and all I see is normal editions.

Sorry btw to offtopic sorta.

EDIT: Damn they must've added the LE just recently on Gamestop I see it now.

Episode started well but collapsed after the bumper. Nice of them to introduce an asspull and then not actually use the asspull on anyone relevant. Next week looks bad too.

Episode started well but collapsed after the bumper. Nice of them to introduce an asspull and then not actually use the asspull on anyone relevant. Next week looks bad too.

What asspull? The healing dandelions? It was already established that Mansherry had an ability that can heal and reenergize people, so I don't see how it's an asspull

Top Bottom