• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter pads from MadCatz

qcf x2

Let's be real. If you've used a good dpad in your life then one glance at this one should set off warning signals. Why companies don't model dpads after the Saturn controller is beyond me.

Anyway, I saw pics in another thread of the SF4 pad with the NeoGeo stick/dpad. Is that official or photoshop?

Jebus

A Twisty Fluken said:
I could see someone getting decent results if they're used to never pulling their thumb off of the d-pad ever, as maintaining constant pressure without ever letting up resulted in consistency. In addition, if people press their d-pads much, much harder than I do, they could presumably press all the way down each time. However, for those of us who are used to tapping and releasing, the numbers show that this will not register proper results, unless mine are defective.

How does this compare to the standard Xbox 360 controller though. It may not be as good as the original Saturn pad, but as long as it's an improvement over the 360 pad it's worth it's weight in gold (which probably isn't much if it's as light as people say). I played 3rd Strike on the weekend with the 360 pad and it only took minutes for my thumb to break off my hand and fall into the nearby bin. I should add that i'm used to playing it on the dreamcast.

Kintaro said:
r756b5.jpg

Just got the PS3 pad. :D

You lied!
Kintaro said:
shidoshi said:
Are you by chance a gorilla, The Hulk, Sasquatch, or some other large-handed being?
I am a rather large black man...
:D Congrats on the pad. I ordered a TE stick from Gamestop, myself, but opted for the free UPS shipping. Tracking says I should get it, tomorrow. I'm so glad I ordered from Gamestop.com, in addition to my Amazon order, just in case. At least I'll have one for myself, while anyone playing 2nd player, will have to make do with the Dualshock 3, until I get my other sticks from Amazon. =P

Jebus said:
How does this compare to the standard Xbox 360 controller though. It may not be as good as the original Saturn pad, but as long as it's an improvement over the 360 pad it's worth it's weight in gold (which probably isn't much if it's as light as people say). I played 3rd Strike on the weekend with the 360 pad and it only took minutes for my thumb to break off my hand and fall into the nearby bin. I should add that i'm used to playing it on the dreamcast.
Much better than the 360 pad.

Mamesj

Banned
Jebus said:

Lets put it this way: there's a lot of nitpicking in this thread and not enough acknowledging that this is the best pad on the system right now.

you have to press a bit harder for fine results, but it's not much harder--just a matter of a little muscle memory conditioning and you'll be playing like normal in no time.

Anyone in or around Frisco, TX... both Best Buy stores there are selling the pads.

Picked one up myself... very nice! Have to hit the d-pad pretty hard sometimes though.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
That's an ASCII pad ;P

Also!

If anyone is having issues, please don't PM me, contact Mad Catz tech support instead lol.

P.S. - Kadey, that Akuma Nuby pad in your pic is blinding!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
George Claw M.D. said:
You lied!

I did no such thing. I'm just a lighter shade. If you want to get technical, I'm a Zebra. But if everyone wants to call Obama black, I'll roll right along with it. :lol

Mamesj

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
For someone criticizing the "nitpicking" in this thread you should read more of it.

what the fuck did that have to do with anything? Sorry I didn't know the exact brand of the Dreamcast pad. or sorry I didn't know they made them? I can't tell.

I wonder if that pad rumbles.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Mamesj said:
what the fuck did that have to do with anything? Sorry I didn't know the exact brand of the Dreamcast pad.

I wonder if that pad rumbles.

It says on the top right, vibration on or off. :D
29p67gj.jpg

Okay, I played a few games on Live and after a few disconnects and stuff it was good. I'd say it's easily as good as the Saturn pad in terms of pulling off moves. My hands are small so despite the larger size, I had no problem doing stuff like dragon punches and multi-directional moves unlike the standard 360 pad. And this is playing with a bandage on my left thumb.

Call me crazy but the pad is giving off like some herbal essence smell when in use. But yeah, I like it. 2d fighters am go.

Mamesj

Banned
Kadey said:
It says on the top right, vibration on or off. :D

Okay, I played a few games on Live and after a few disconnects and stuff it was good. I'd say it's easily as good as the Saturn pad in terms of pulling off moves. My hands are small so despite the larger size, I had no problem doing stuff like dragon punches and multi-directional moves unlike the standard 360 pad. And this is playing with a bandage on my left thumb.

Call me crazy but the pad is giving off like some herbal essence smell when in use. But yeah, I like it. 2d fighters am go.

I'm just kidding about the rumble part (just referring to the previous page and all the "no rumble" drama.)

I wish my controller smelled good, haha

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:

Kadey, are you flirting with me?

lol

Bebpo

Banned
Well this thread sure has scared me off from the pads. I guess I will stick with my arcade sticks and standard d-pads and put $80 towards something else. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bebpo said:
Well this thread sure has scared me off from the pads. I guess I will stick with my arcade sticks and standard d-pads and put $80 towards something else. :(
Well, you can always try one out at Gamestop and return it within 7 days if you don't like it. There is no unanimous view on the pads and it's going to come down to personal preference in the end. It's almost always a mistake to let other people make your decisions for you.

bathala

Banned
Bebpo said:
i was worried to when the impressions started pouring in, but I bought one from BB and tried it.
I was worried it's too wide but i can pull off moves. I'm happy with my Blanka pad

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I can't see how anyone thinks it isn't better than the 360 pad.

Sniff the guide button area, I swear it smells like herbal tea or something.

ravien56

talking to a couple ebs in Canada, they said the fightpads wont come in till launch day of st4 and the sticks wont be in till end of february

boo7z

I picked up a Ken 360 pad at Best Buy in the Waterfront (Homestead, PA). They only had a total of 4 (one each, no Akuma).

I have only played it with HD remix and right now I'm grading it between a B / B-.
I don't have a problem with the size of the d-pad, buttons, or controller itself. I have average sized hands. The charge moves (B->F, D>U) work pretty consistently. I can pull off fireballs and uppercuts pretty well from the left (1P) side, right (2P) no so much.

While I don't expect my skill to be as good starting on the right as on the left I expected less of a gap with this pad. Like I said I don't think the d-pad is too big, rather the diagonals pretty much suck. You really have to think about / focus on pressing the diagonals. Maybe my opinion will change after practicing more but my gut feeling is they dropped the ball on the diagonals.

RedAssedApe

Banned
On the 360 side of things...does a comparison to a Saturn pad really matter? Half of the people here probably have never even touched a Saturn pad and are just all going off of hearsay. The only thing that should matter (until someone else releases a pad that works on the 360) is that its better than the stock 360 dpad (which it is IMO) and that you get the 6 face buttons. Besides its not like you have any other options outside of going stick.

On the fence? Go buy one and try it out. You get 30 days if you buy it from Best Buy. More than enough time to put it through a few rounds of HD Remix and SFIV. Just be careful when opening up the clamshell. Outside of mutilating it, I don't think you'll have any problems on the return.

ConsumerSquare said:
It's one thing for MarkMan to defend these since Madcatz is cutting him a paycheck (
edit: I haven't actually seen him do this, I'm just sayin' I'd understand it
), but I can't figure out why the rest of you are falling all over yourselves to defend this product. It's a wired controller with a single d-pad (that's getting extremely mixed reviews), no rumble, and covered in tacky character art. It doesn't seem especially ludicrous to suggest $40 might be a little expensive considering what it does.

thank goodness someone gets it. not that i'm surprised at all the mindless defending. :lol

if this pad was, say, $30 then i wouldn't even bat an eye at the lack of rumble.

henhowc said:
On the 360 side of things...does a comparison to a Saturn pad really matter? Half of the people here probably have never even touched a Saturn pad and are just all going off of hearsay. The only thing that should matter (until someone else releases a pad that works on the 360) is that its better than the stock 360 dpad (which it is IMO) and that you get the 6 face buttons. Besides its not like you have any other options outside of going stick.

That's an extremely GAF response.

boo7z

WickedLaharl said:
thank goodness someone gets it. not that i'm surprised at all the mindless defending. :lol

if this pad was, say, $30 then i wouldn't even bat an eye at the lack of rumble.

I'm sure Mad Catz paid out of the ass for the license though...

RedAssedApe

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
That's an extremely GAF response.

Not sure what that constitutes but ok...

Its just my opinion based on all the posts from people who seem to be waiting around for that magical post that sways their decision as to whether or not they should buy the pad.

for those tha purchased the 360 version from best buy, can you post the sku number? please?
9176027 Ryu Pad

henhowc said:
so what are you saying? that we ignore history? ignore greatness? pretend that the greatest controller pad in the unniverse never existed? how are we supposed to draw comparisons?
we say Saturn, we say ASCII, we say Nuby.... because they existed, and we are drawing comparisons and impressions.

you should be tagged as "Saturn denyer"

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
henhowc said:

On the fence? Go buy one and try it out. You get 30 days if you buy it from Best Buy. More than enough time to put it through a few rounds of HD Remix and SFIV. Just be careful when opening up the clamshell. Outside of mutilating it, I don't think you'll have any problems on the return.

Word and the 6 face buttons for oldschool 2d fighting.

Comparisons should be made with the Saturn pad though since it did revolutionize a controller for capcom fighters and the fact many imported Saturn versus games back in the day.

RedAssedApe

Banned
gutter_trash said:
so what are you saying? that we ignore history? ignore greatness? pretend that the greatest controller pad in the unniverse never existed? how are we supposed to draw comparisons?
we say Saturn, we say ASCII, we say Nuby.... because they existed, and we are drawing comparisons and impressions.

you should be tagged as "Saturn denyer"

Nope...what I'm saying is that there's no mystical Saturn pad on the horizon for the 360, or any other 6-button pad for that matter. I'm also saying...just try it...maybe you'll like it...maybe you won't.

henhowc said:
Nope...what I'm saying is that there's no mystical Saturn pad on the horizon for the 360, or any other 6-button pad for that matter. I'm also saying...just try it...maybe you'll like it...maybe you won't.

I AM buying one for the 360 because there is no other pad.
but, I am equipped on the PS3 with Saturns :p

boo7z

MarkMan said:
I honestly like the Super NES dpad.

lol.

Funny thing, when I picked up the fightpad today I noticed a 360 pad that looked very similar to the SNES d-pad (4 way raised pad). It was 24.99. Maybe I should have picked that one up instead! :lol

LuCkymoON

Banned
henhowc said:
LOL I like how its all posing by some asian-y artifacts.
=p

played around with the pad a bit. Feels great in my hands, the dpad feels like its floating, I will have to get use to that.

Top Bottom