• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Imperial Hot said:
How did this nexusone.com site get a hold of the phone so early?

I think the real question is: how is it that the people who are able to get pre-release hardware are never capable of taking a photograph in focus?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
tokkun said:
Sent to die.

What's sad is while that AT&T phone is gonna be sent to die you know some poor sucker is gonna end up with one somewhere. Makes me feel bad just thinking about it.

Brettison said:
First real android phone on AT&T from Motorola no less? Phandroid Article

It's supposedly a reverse flip phone too? You can see the AT&T world logo clear as day on the keyboard!

The worst part is that even with all of the terrible features (outdated processor, gimped feautres, version 1.5, etc.) this looks like it won't be available until April or May. This is unbelievable awful from AT&T (coming from one of their customers...for now).

Imperial Hot said:
Fuck. I am going to use the Sprint contract change to get out of my Palm Pre without any ETF and go back to Verizon and get the Droid, but if the rumors are true about the Nexus One launching January 5th, I am very tempted.

Do you think we will have anymore solid launch details before Christmas/end of year? I was hoping to get the Droid for Christmas, but I might have to postpone until I see what's up with this phone.
Anyone?

HoTHiTTeR

Imperial Hot said:

Umm, I'd imagine nothing solid will come out until after 1/1/2010. Definitely get out of your contract and prep for the NexusOne. :D If you can't really wait, just get the droid. It's still a sexy device and worth the money.

tokkun

If it actually comes out January 5th (I think this is an unreliable rumor) then yes, there will be details by the end of the year. At least I assume they can't wait until the day before release to announce it.

Well, maybe they could if it was selling exclusively via online. But if there is any sort of contract bundling, they will need to get the information to T-Mobile employees at least a week or two in advince.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
G1 and MyTouch3G to get special "Android 2.5" update in January.

DatPage said:
Today a T-Mobile representative confirmed that all G1 and myTouch 3G users will be receiving a special Eclair update, we will be receiving all the goodies that Droid users have plus more. Flash Player will also be included in this major update and yes G1 users will be receiving this update so dont write R.I.P just yet! Other than that we dont know to many specifics about the update we just know that the update will be here soon.

Finally!

SimleuqiR

prodystopian said:
The worst part is that even with all of the terrible features (outdated processor, gimped feautres, version 1.5, etc.) this looks like it won't be available until April or May. This is unbelievable awful from AT&T (coming from one of their customers...for now).

When does the iPhone exclusivity run out, June 2010? It seems AT&T will try their best to keep the iPhone exclusive in the USA. They are seriously gimping/limiting the Android experience on their network.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Darkman M said:
:lol Seriously this stuff is getting hard to keep up with....

So far it's been easy, but that's only because they've all kept with the established version numbers from Google. If companies do their own version numbers though it would be virtually impossible to follow unless they also gave the google number they are basing it off of. Think stock Linux here where they'll tell you what version of the kernel they are using even if Fedora and Ubuntu operate on their own version numbers.

Im considering the Droid/Milestone since its already available at Europe, what do you guys think?should i just wait for this nexus-one replicant phone?

skybaby said:
Yeah, but I'd rather wait for the google phone and have both. Hard to pass up on this deal I was offered though, it's quite tempting

i've read that theres a way to use google navigator in Europe.....its a hack though...

Pimpwerx

Does Google have a plan to phase out old dev phones from newer updates? I feel they should have a roadmap with dates established where support for the G1 and G2 phase out so the baseline of Android can go up. The G1 and G2 are relatively close on power compared to the Snapdragons which is leagues ahead. Years from now, the NexusOne should be baseline hardware. PEACE.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tokkun said:
I think the real question is: how is it that the people who are able to get pre-release hardware are never capable of taking a photograph in focus?
LOL - that's a mystery for the ages.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Bluemercury said:
i've read that theres a way to use google navigator in Europe.....its a hack though...

Google de-hacked it. If you want the Milestone, go for it. The differences are largely minimal.

DrFunk said:
Google de-hacked it. If you want the Milestone, go for it. The differences are largely minimal.

Well i assume there will be support for milestone to use google navigator when the other phones in Europe get it too.

SimleuqiR

Droid does Nexus!

Screenshots of Android 2.1 on Moto Droid
Posted on Thursday, Dec 17, 2009 by Phil Nickinson

Android 2.1 on Motorola DroidAndroid 2.1 on Motorola Droid

thumb_tall_Android%202_1%201.jpg
thumb_tall_Android%202_1%205.jpg

thumb_tall_Android%202_1%206.jpg
thumb_tall_Android%202_1%209.jpg

It should really come as no surprise that the Motorola Droid is destined to received Android 2.1 (we just saw a 2.0.1 upgrade roll out a little while ago). And it should point to the imminency of the 2.1 update when we start seeing screen shots leaks, like we do here.

These pics from Androidin.net [via AndroidOS.in] show version 2.1, Build ERD72. Other than that, nothing really to glean other than the graphical goodness. A little oddly, We see the same four-color "X" design we've come to know from the Nexus One. Add that to the "Nexus" desktop option, and we're starting to think Google has bigger plans for the word than just the "Nexus One" phone.

Also of note is that it looks like Palm's card metaphor has been aped. We'll have to see how our pals at PreCentral.net feel about that.

Not sure what this mean. But good for Droid users.

Smokey

Oh shit

so Nexus One is the next big phone? I'm in dire need of a new phone and was just about to get either the Cliq or the HTC Pro Touch 2 (I'm on Tmobile), but I'll think I'll wait for this bad boy now if it really comes out in Jan.

Totakeke

Is that gallery interface new? Also are those other stuffs new or are they apps? Weather and Top Stories?

This thing needs to come out soon and be in my hands.

WoodWERD

Pimpwerx said:
If true, I'll cancel and re-up using the employee discount someone posted a while back. PEACE.

Can you elaborate? I only remember that credit union discount from following this thread (or was it the droid one)...the only thing keeping me on Sprint now is a 27% discount from an old employer.

tokkun

I am getting confused about what Android 2.1 is. We have Android 2.1 on the leaked Hero ROM and Android 2.1 from the Nexus, and they appear to have different features (not just talking about Sense).

skybaby

DrFunk said:
I read in a forum that Maps3.2.1-patched-no-root.apk doesn't work anymore but there's a new 3.3.1 version of the installer that does...

SimleuqiR

The Economics of a Free Google Phone [Google]
from Gizmodo by matt buchanan

500x_androidgooglephone.jpg

We've all been a little breathless over the idea of The Google Phone, and that everything could change (some of us, anyway). But, wait, you say, Google can't just give away a phone like that. Well, they could.

Let's just start with the numbers. Google has a gigantic $22 billion pile of cash. Just sitting there. It had profits of $1.64 billion last quarter, on revenues of $5.94 billion. It has a lot of money.

Now let's look at the Nexus One. There aren't any good cost breakdowns of the closest phone to it, the Droid, but iSuppli's teardown pegged the iPhone 3GS at a build cost of about $180 to build about six month ago, so it's not a bad assumption that today, the Nexus One would run around $200, maybe a little more. Selling the Nexus One direct to consumers at cost—in other words, the exact same amount it costs Google to build them—by definition costs Google nothing. Even if Google were to take a massive $100 hit on every phone to sell them at $200 (or less) and wanted to push 5 million of them, it would cost Google $500 million. That's a pretty tiny of chunk of $22 billion. I mean, Sergey Brin spends millions on companies without Eric Schmidt even noticing. Point being, Google, even in the most drastic scenario, doesn't need a phone company to subsidize the Google Phone.

Now, let's look at how Google makes all that money, considering all the crap they give away for free, like email, finding stuff for you, browsers, turn-by-turn navigation and, lately, operating systems. Advertising. $5.75 billion of its revenues—97 percent—came from advertising. Whenever you go on the internet, essentially, Google makes money. It's why they give away all that stuff, because, they want you online a lot.

So, that doesn't quite explain why Google would want people to have a Nexus one that badly. Until you look at stuff like Morgan Stanley's 424-page tome, 'The Mobile Internet Report,' which says things. Things like mobile internet will be "at least 2x size of Desktop Internet" and that smartphones will beat out notebook and netbook shipments next year. And remember that by purchasing AdMob, Google became the biggest mobile advertiser on the planet (that's with just 24 percent marketshare, meaning they have plenty of room to grow and conquer). It works out even better for Google if you're using an Android phone, because it's completely tethered to Google services, driving you to the internet that much more. (Both on your Android phone and your big computer.) Bottom line: More people using smartphones, especially theirs, going on the internet, makes Google money not just immediately, but long term, since you're not going to go back to a dumbphone.

And that's not even considering some of the more offbeat rumors or speculation, that'll it be subsidized by ads built into the phone, or go full-blown VoIP (Google just bought a VoIP company called Gizmo5) instead of voice plan, on top of using a weird online rebate through Google.

We're just saying, it's totally reasonable Google can sell the Nexus One for cheap, without help from the carriers, and it's not so crazy even, for Google to give it away, just like turn-by-turn navigation. That's what might be worth getting a little breathless about.

Most of these ideas have been conversed here, but I completely forgot about AdMob. That's a market that Google definitely wants to grow in. It's going to be a very interesting 2010.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even if Google were to take a massive $100 hit on every phone to sell them at $200 (or less) and wanted to push 5 million of them, it would cost Google $500 million. That's a pretty tiny of chunk of $22 billion.
No it isn't.

tokkun

Now let's look at the Nexus One. There aren't any good cost breakdowns of the closest phone to it, the Droid, but iSuppli's teardown pegged the iPhone 3GS at a build cost of about $180 to build about six month ago, so it's not a bad assumption that today, the Nexus One would run around $200, maybe a little more.

This is dumb.

(1) The cost of parts is not the whole cost of the device. You need to amortize the cost of the design, engineering, fabrication lines, advertising, packaging, etc. This is especially important for mobile devices since they tend to have relatively short lifetimes over which to amortize costs.

(2) HTC is not going to build these phones for Google for free, especially not if Google is going to use them to undercut HTC's own cell phone sales. HTC typically sells unlocked phones in the $500-600 range. I have a pretty hard time believing that they would sell a super high-end phone to Google for $200.

Now, let's look at how Google makes all that money, considering all the crap they give away for free, like email, finding stuff for you, browsers, turn-by-turn navigation and, lately, operating systems. Advertising. $5.75 billion of its revenues—97 percent—came from advertising. Whenever you go on the internet, essentially, Google makes money. It's why they give away all that stuff, because, they want you online a lot.

That's because software has an extremely tiny incremental cost. Therefore the easiest way to make money on it is through volume. Even if advertising only nets them a few cents per account, it costs them even less to support one additional GMail user. This is completely different from hardware.

Dipswitch

Gah - I'm on the verge of getting my wife a Motorola Cliq and now I hear about this supposedly cheap-ass Nexus phone. I'm trying to get some skinny from my brother, who manages a T-Mobile store. Last thing I need is to put the missus under contact again and have this thing get released in 3 weeks.

What think ye of the rumors surrounding pricing, etc?

SimleuqiR

Dipswitch said:
Gah - I'm on the verge of getting my wife a Motorola Cliq and now I hear about this supposedly cheap-ass Nexus phone. I'm trying to get some skinny from my brother, who manages a T-Mobile store. Last thing I need is to put the missus under contact again and have this thing get released in 3 weeks.

What think ye of the rumors surrounding pricing, etc?

These are my expectations and not facts:

• The phone is real and all things point it being released on T-mobile (Late Jan, early Feb release...I'm hoping)
  • $199.99 with 2 year contract.
  • $399.99 Unlocked (no contract).

To me these are the most realistic expectations you should have about the Nexus One.

SimleuqiR

I just played with the Google Nexus One for a few minutes, Here’s my report:

• - It’s extremely thin
  • - It’s much nicer looking in person than in pictures
  • - There’s a 4 GB micro-SD card installed
  • - The battery capacity is 1400 mAh
  • - The screen appears to be OLED (same size/resolution as the Motorola Droid)
  • - 3G works on T-Mobile USA :)
  • - I can confirm that there’s no 3G on AT&T (EGDE only)
  • - It’s definitely unlocked
  • - It’s super snappy! Faster than the Droid…
  • - There’s no multitouch support in the browser or in Google Maps
  • - There’s no dedicated camera key, but it’s the same camera interface as the Droid
  • - The trackball can be used to focus (like on other HTC devices)
  • - Low-light performance is decent, but the flash is weak
  • - Calls are routed the normal way, not using data (VoIP), and sound fine
  • - The home screen is divided into 5 panes (like the Sense interface on the HTC Hero)
  • - It’s using a micro-USB connector for data/power
  • - There are some gold contacts at the bottom edge, for a dock perhaps?
  • - Did I mention it’s fast?

Sorry, I was not allowed to take pictures (the one above is from the intertubes). That’s it for now :)

Niiiice!!

Totakeke

Should be 800x480 WVGA instead, the typical ratio used unlike Droid's wider one.

So it seems that the fantastical rumors are dying down slowly and this just seems what you'd expect from the upcoming lineup of phones, albeit Google branded.

SimleuqiR

Totakeke said:
Should be 800x480 WVGA instead, the typical ratio used unlike Droid's wider one.

So it seems that the fantastical rumors are dying down slowly and this just seems what you'd expect from the upcoming lineup of phones, albeit Google branded.

And that's all I really want. :D T-mobile + a Snapdragon Android phone + Google Brand = Me Happy.

All I want is a full confirmation from Google and T-mobile.

The no "Multi-touch" thing is a bit of a disappointment, but that's expected with none HTC Android phones. Not sure what the issue is. Hope Google can some how sort that out soon.

BlueMagic

SimleuqiR said:
And that's all I really want. :D T-mobile + a Snapdragon Android phone + Google Brand = Me Happy.

All I want is a full confirmation from Google and T-mobile.

The no "Multi-touch" thing is a bit of a disappointment, but that's expected with none HTC Android phones. Not sure what the issue is. Hope Google can some how sort that out soon.

Hardware-wise, I'm sure it is capable of doing multitouch, it's because of the Apple patent on multitouch that they have to lock it, but software-wise (I read that on this thread, I believe).

Dipswitch

Totakeke said:

Aye. Now that I know it's not the be all and end all of all phones, I'm gonna proceed with the purchase of the wife's Cliq for Christmas. I figure if she likes the Nexus better when it's unveiled, she can return the Cliq.

Pimpwerx

SimleuqiR said:
Niiiice!!
I wasn't bullshitting. My friend was talking to me on his, and now that I read this, that's what he was explaining about EDGE. He was saying EDGE this and EDGE that, and I know he used AT&T for his carrier, but I didn't make the connection. This kinda confirms that I won't be able to do shit with the phone when I get it, but if it's truly unlocked and can at least work with EDGE, I might give it to my mom after I tinker with it for a week or so. Then she'll have the best damn phone on the AT&T network. :D Hope my friend comes through. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom