• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC's Community Official Thread - the next Arrested Development/Office/30 Rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhoncipleBone said:
I know there was something posted that showed they thought of doing it in all threads. Either way, it was just them being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with an angry God on the loose.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21972088&postcount=240

Whether what they were doing was wrong or not, it was just not the right time to test the waters. Everyone knows E3 is the time to be cautious on here.
I get it now. Was it a permaban?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Got a few more friends into community, FINALLY, it's kind of annoying... I don't know how it is over in America, but here in Australia Modern Family is on a big Channel, prime time, Community is shoved to a back up channel at a pathetic time.. so no ones heard of it.

Shaneus

Syth_Blade22 said:
Got a few more friends into community, FINALLY, it's kind of annoying... I don't know how it is over in America, but here in Australia Modern Family is on a big Channel, prime time, Community is shoved to a back up channel at a pathetic time.. so no ones heard of it.
This.

HolyCheck

BJK said:
Obvious Troll is Obvious.

...and Streets Behind. :lol

The avatar, is that Chuck?? I've seen the guy in commercials, looks a bit like him, a friend's recommended I get into it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Syth_Blade22 said:
The avatar, is that Chuck?? I've seen the guy in commercials, looks a bit like him, a friend's recommended I get into it.

That is indeed Chuck. Most people on GAF should appreciate it.

Wads

Banned
Entropia said:
That is indeed Chuck. Most people on GAF should appreciate it.

Yes! Chuck's one of the best on tv IMO. Definitely check it out! I guess it makes sense that this thread died down a lot, but I miss posting in it weekly!

Looking forward to the new season and I'm glad we don't have to wait till Jan for either Chuck or Community!

Caught the fan marathon they aired last week, and actually had a chance to be at the taping, but could make it because of work.

Debate episode is still at the top of my fave list...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wads said:
Yes! Chuck's one of the best on tv IMO. Definitely check it out! I guess it makes sense that this thread died down a lot, but I miss posting in it weekly!

Looking forward to the new season and I'm glad we don't have to wait till Jan for either Chuck or Community!

Chuck would have been great if they didn't turn him into a whiny little bitch over Sarah every other episode. The relationship BS just wore me down after 2 and a half seasons.

Brian Fellows said:
Chuck would have been great if they didn't turn him into a whiny little bitch over Sarah every other episode. The relationship BS just wore me down after 2 and a half seasons.
I guess you didn't make it past the halfway point of season 3 then? The last half of season 3 was fantastic, and the whiney mopey stuff ended.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Syth_Blade22 said:
It amazes me how many people here in the States haven't seen a single episode of Community (or even HEARD of it in a lot of cases) considering the block of very popular shows it comes on with.

It is not uncommon for me to talk to people that watch 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks and Recreation every single week but don't even know what Community is.

HolyCheck

was DonGlovers album link posted in this thread? Can't find it at the moment, but theres another thread floating about on GAF, isn't too bad

Betty White to star in the Season 2 premiere as a nutty anthropology professor.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/423530_tvgif16.html

Interview with Dan Harmon:

TV Guide Magazine: Which came first — the idea of trying to get Betty White, or the idea of the character, then discovering she'd be perfect for it?
Harmon: It was somewhat simultaneous. The role was going to exist. But trying to get her was first and custom-fitting the role to fit her came second. The nice thing about our show is, we can have so many interesting people coming through the world. And they can either stay or just drift through, because it's a community college.

TV Guide Magazine: How did you convince her to sign on?
Harmon: We described the idea to her. Hopefully, it's a little cooler for her than just straight-up being profane. I hope she sparked to it because it's funny for her in a way to build on what she was doing in the Snickers commercial, not just reciting stuff that she's not supposed to say. I've been a fan for a long time, so I wrote to capitalize on the stuff she's brought to the table for a long time.

TV Guide Magazine: What more can you say about her character?
Harmon: She's sort of my version of Joseph Campbell if he wasn't interested in being polite. She has a great deal of knowledge, she's a student of humanity and therefore knows there's a very blurry line between man and animal. She has a primal practical wisdom — she's eccentric but quite the opposite of insane. She's very lucid, to the point of maybe being scary. She's an impersonal cosmic force.

TV Guide Magazine: Could she become a recurring character?
Harmon: Absolutely. The role is specifically designed so that if she enjoys doing it, we'd love to have her back.

TV Guide Magazine: How important is this episode in terms of taking on the premiere of CBS' The Big Bang Theory in its new Thursday at 8/7c time slot?
Harmon: Everything we do is important in those terms, but that's something I can't really concern myself with. If I write to compete with them, then I'm not writing Community — I'm playing a chess game with production decisions. As a Midwesterner, there's a pit in my stomach about going toe to toe with such a tried-and-true success. But I'm also excited about Thursday nights lighting up again. I'm not doing anything specifically to compete with those guys.

TV Guide Magazine: She's won four Emmys and is nominated for another, while you guys got snubbed. Will you hit her up for advice on cozying up with the TV Academy?
Harmon: I'll probably get as much free advice from her as I can. But if you have to cozy up to people to win awards, I'm screwed. Hopefully, her advice will be just to keep doing what I'm doing, which is try to make myself laugh. But if she knows how to do stuff that wins awards, maybe we'll send her out to do our bidding for us.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
PhoncipleBone said:
I guess you didn't make it past the halfway point of season 3 then? The last half of season 3 was fantastic, and the whiney mopey stuff ended.

It always seems to end and then come back just when things start to get really good. I stopped watching towards the end of season 2. I gave it another shot after I was told how awesome the last few episodes were. People were right they were awesome. Though by the middle of season 3 I was bored/annoyed with show again so I quit watching.....again.

The only way they could get me to come back now is to kill off Sarah. But while gaining me as a viewer they'd lose 95% of their current audience so I don't see that happening. :D

big ander

9bpZ1.gif

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Busty

Banned
I loved Community.

I loved the whole season...., right up until the finale. It's like the whole writing staff left on episode 24 and just left some intern to scribble down the last episode.

It's wasn't funny. It barely featured anything original and seemed rehash a whole season of jokes and themes to the point they actually felt tired.

Blargh. So Jeff has to potentially choose from 3 women? Pffft. Not buying it.

....in saying that has anyone heard if this has been picked up by a British broadcaster?

feel

Busty said:
I loved Community.

I loved the whole season...., right up until the finale. It's like the whole writing staff left on episode 24 and just left some intern to scribble down the last episode.

It's wasn't funny. It barely featured anything original and seemed rehash a whole season of jokes and themes to the point they actually felt tired.

Blargh. So Jeff has to potentially choose from 3 women? Pffft. Not buying it.

....in saying that has anyone heard if this has been picked up by a British broadcaster?
I still think that whole episode is just them trolling the viewers. The whole thing was just a bunch of finale cliches and very random twists. They won't acknowledge anything about it at all in the new season, and will just go on as if nothing of that happened. Fuck, I really hope that's it. :/

snesfreak

Banned
communitydvd.jpg

Community:
The Complete First Season

First Season of the Hit Comedy Available on DVD September 21st,
Loaded with Bonus Features and an Exclusive Comic Book

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (July 22, 2010) - The freshman year of Community, the break-out comedy of last season, debuts on DVD September 21st from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Emmy winning writer Dan Harmon (TV's "The Sarah Silverman Program") and Emmy winning directors Joe Russo and Anthony Russo (TV's "Arrested Development") comprise the creative team of Community, the smart comedy series about a band of misfits who attend Greendale Community College. At the group's center is Joel McHale (TV's "The Soup", The Informant) and starring with him is Ken Jeong (The Hangover) and comedy legend Emmy winner Chevy Chase (TV's "Saturday Night Live"). The talented ensemble cast includes rising stars Gillian Jacobs (TV's "The Book of Daniel"), Danny Pudi (TV's "Greek"), Yvette Nicole Brown (TV's "Rules of Engagement"), Alison Brie (TV's "Mad Men"), and Donald Glover (TV's "30 Rock").

The DVD set will feature all 25 episodes of Community: The Complete First Season, including the highly talked-about "Modern Warfare" paintball episode. This first season is packed with special features, including hilarious cast and crew commentaries on every episode, outtakes on each disc, extended cuts on two fan-favorite episodes and multiple featurettes including one where Dan Harmon, creator of the show, sits each cast member down and evaluates their performances throughout the first season! A-List guest stars on the season include Katharine McPhee and a cameo by Owen Wilson.

Community: The Complete First Season will be available in a four-disc DVD set for $39.95 SRP.

Synopsis
Smooth talking ex-lawyer Jeff Winger has got a lot to learn, and he's come to Greendale Community College to avoid every bit of it. Unfortunately for Jeff, he's not the only misfit to enroll here, and people in need have an odd way of finding each other. First, his fake study group becomes a real study group. Then, over the course of a strange year that goes from Mexican Halloween to the final "Tranny Dance," and includes bad trips, great debates, drunk dials, food fights, epic paintball battles and sinister chicken finger conspiracies - the group becomes a family, something Jeff never wanted, but clearly needs.

Community: The Complete First Season episodes include:

* Pilot
* Spanish 101
* Introduction to Film
* Social Psychology
* Advanced Criminal Law
* Football, Feminism and You
* Introduction to Statistics
* Home Economics
* Debate 109
* Environmental Science
* The Politics of Human Sexuality
* Comparative Religion
* Investigative Journalism
* Interpretive Dance
* Romantic Expressionism
* Communication Studies
* Physical Education
* Basic Genealogy
* Beginner Pottery
* The Science of Illusion
* Contemporary American Poultry
* The Art of Discourse
* Modern Warfare
* English as a Second Language
* Pascal's Triangle Revisited

DVD Special Features Include:

* Commentary on every episode with the creator of the show, Dan Harmon. Joining Dan are Joel McHale, Chevy Chase, Ken Jeong, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie, Donald Glover and more!
* Extended Cuts of Pilot and Communication Studies episodes
* Outtakes on every disc
* Season One Cast Evaluations
* Season One Highlight Reel
* "Creative Compromises" Featurette
* Advanced Criminal Law Alternative Scenes
* 3 Mini Episodes

The Community: The Complete First Season DVD will feature an exclusive comic book called KICKPUNCHER, a 12-page, full-color collectible illustrated by famed muralist and comic book artist Jim Mahfood, which follows the adventures of KICKPUNCHER, a crime-fighting superhero created from the mind of Troy Barnes. This first edition comic includes a bonus pull-out collector's poster of "ANNIE and BRITTA UNLEASHED!"

TimeKillr

YuriLowell said:
still upset no bluray.

See, and then those idiots who run those networks still wonder why people prefer to pirate these shows.

You have a choice between 720p pirated or 480p legit.

Who the hell would choose the DVD they can run 720p?

TimeKillr said:
See, and then those idiots who run those networks still wonder why people prefer to pirate these shows.

You have a choice between 720p pirated or 480p legit.

Who the hell would choose the DVD they can run 720p?
Because they want the legal versions that directly support the show.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's the big deal? 720p doesn't add much of anything to a sitcom. It's still going to look nice and clean in 480p.

Andrex said:
What's the big deal? 720p doesn't add much of anything to a sitcom. It's still going to look nice and clean in 480p.
Oh, it would look better in HD, no doubt. I would like a blu Ray of it, but it isn't a deal breaker.

TimeKillr

PhoncipleBone said:
Because they want the legal versions that directly support the show.

People who directly support the show are going to buy it no matter what.

These are not the type of people you want to push into buying it.

Andrex said:

720p adds to everything over 480p. Cleaner image, more detail, etc. The jokes aren't going to be better, but my eyes will appreciate the work of everybody more.

Might be just me, I guess, but Community looks very, very nice in 720p, no matter what.

I don't pirate the shows (I actually watch them on TV or on hulu) and I completely refuse to buy shows on DVD that have a 720p+ higher source material. I refuse to get shitty 4:3 versions when 16:9 versions exist. I am aware that most 16:9 material only actually uses the 4:3 frame for actual display and uses the remainder of the space just for larger shots, but it's still a total farce. See what The Office looks in syndication on non-hd channels - most of them just use the 1080i or 720p 16:9 feed, downres it to 480p and crop the sides for 4:3, resulting in credits being cut off, some segments where you don't see who's talking, etc. These idiots who work in TV seem to have no fucking clue how to handle things. For material that doesn't have HD sources, it's a non-issue, but for anything that DOES have HD sources, it's absurd not to release HD versions.

If it comes out on Blu-Ray, I will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom