• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot1UP Official Thread - a new Xbox Live Indie shmup!

scitek

vii4qc.jpg

Title: Shoot1UP

Cost: 80 MS Points (That's a dollar!)

Available now!

From developer Mommy's Best Games (Weapon of Choice), a.k.a. ex-Insomniac employee Nathan Fouts, Shoot1UP is a new vertical shoot 'em up that's hitting Xbox Live Indie Games this week.

Instead of the typical weapon upgrade/lives system, you collect 1UP orbs and add ships to your phalanx (reminiscent of Galaga), adding more firepower and affording you more damage to potentially take. When your ships are all destroyed, it's game over.

I've had a playable build of the game for about two days now on PC, and it's addictive as hell. I did a write-up on it here, for those interested in knowing a little more. Also visit the developer's blog for all the info on the scoring system.

Video of game on 200% Speed and Normal difficulty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKDkuvZfWvw

More Video: 100% speed, Normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkDl0XYSNI

Screens:

ezkco4.jpg

aau15l.jpg

2z3rxvr.jpg

ofaq1z.jpg

6zsgzr.jpg

md39t5.jpg

13ztv00.jpg

Quality old school vertical shooter? Day one 'n all that. (I assume this is just an in-between project before the other game he announced last year surfaces again. Is that an Indie title or is it being picked up to publish to Arcade?)

Dabanton

Nice,and at that price i'll be buying.

Does anyone know if MS or Sony will ever have Thunderforce on their service?

scitek

MightyHedgehog said:
Quality old school vertical shooter? Day one 'n all that. (I assume this is just an in-between project before the other game he announced last year surfaces again. Is that an Indie title or is it being picked up to publish to Arcade?)

It is. I contacted him about Grapple Buggy at the beginning of the year and just found out about this one then. It's still Indie, but it's sounding like it'll be pretty big.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The garish art-style reminds me of an Amiga game.
Same as Weapon of Choice really.
Yeah, but it makes for sure-fire clarity and contrast in fast-moving games. Honestly, he should jump on the 3D bandwagon and slip in an old-school anaglyph 3D mode update to WoC and this one.

Noogy

As a hardcore fan of shmups, it has been an absolute pleasure testing this game. As I said in the Indie Games thread, this will be the best dollar you spend this year.

I find it humbling that my 3 most enjoyable XBIG titles have been Weapon of Choice, Grapple Buggy, and Shoot 1Up. Mommy's Best Games knows gamers like few Indie developers do.

scitek

nextgeneration said:
Will this have online leaderboards?

I asked that, and here's what he told me:

"As for online leaderboards.. it's a tough one. Xbox 360 Indie Games only have the potential for sort of ad-hoc leaderboards. But you can have more than one 'number 1' along with some lag in updates. I'm not sure if we'll do this for Shoot 1UP or not. It's not likely."

Sounds like he'd do 'em if XBIG allowed for it. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love the dead Tachikoma and the Gundam/Optimus Prime composite head. This is certainly convincing me that I need the game!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
It's a dollar, has neon blue missile tits, a decent soundtrack (from what I can hear) and even killer whales in the background.

Fuckin' sold.

scitek

What I think is smart about the price point is that I know I have 190 points left over just from other shit I bought that didn't cost all of what I added to my account. Those points have just sat there for months, so it'll basically be like I've already pre-paid :lol

I wonder how many other people just have 100 points or something on their account left over from other purchases.

scitek

fernoca said:
What happened?
Was expected Thursday..nothing..
Today?

Nathan asked me to relay this information here. He updated his blog about it, too.

"The game had to be pulled a second time from the peer review process--all my fault with a stupid bug. I've since fixed the bug, kicked myself plenty, and now we're back on track to resubmitting this Monday. The game should be out shortly there after--I really hope the third time's a charm. So the bad news is, gamers have to wait longer. The good news is, I've added a whole new unlockable player ship to the mix, that controls a little differently from the standard ship, with the time I had."

So, it's coming next week instead, but there's a new unlockable ship to make amends for the wait. @femoca, he said he felt bad reading your post, but he's happy you guys are excited for the game!

Wow. It's only a buck? I thought this was bumped up to a full XBLA release. I was prepared to be spending at least 800M$ ($10) on it. I'm going to have to buy it twice now. Once on my account and once on my wife's account! :D

fernoca

scitek said:
Nathan asked me to relay this information here. He updated his blog about it, too.

"The game had to be pulled a second time from the peer review process--all my fault with a stupid bug. I've since fixed the bug, kicked myself plenty, and now we're back on track to resubmitting this Monday. The game should be out shortly there after--I really hope the third time's a charm. So the bad news is, gamers have to wait longer. The good news is, I've added a whole new unlockable player ship to the mix, that controls a little differently from the standard ship, with the time I had."

So, it's coming next week instead, but there's a new unlockable ship to make amends for the wait. @femoca, he said he felt bad reading your post, but he's happy you guys are excited for the game!
Oh wow..thanks!:lol
I kept refreshing the online Marketplace and going to the Xbox 360 and check the indie games..I think 2 were added today... :lol ... Good to know.
Loved Weapon of Choice, so can't wait.

scitek

fernoca said:
Oh wow..thanks!:lol
I kept refreshing the online Marketplace and going to the Xbox 360 and check the indie games..I think 2 were added today... :lol ... Good to know.
Loved Weapon of Choice, so can't wait.

You and me both. I've played it already and still can't wait to buy it for myself and a couple friends of mine. :D

Tellaerin

There's something about the artstyle in those screens that takes me back to the more offbeat shooters for the PC Engine/Turbografx. This definitely gets a thumbs-up from me.

Truespeed

I just looked at the video and what an amazing value for 1 dollar. It reminded me of Hybris and Battle Squadron - two of my my favorite shooters. They should put out a PC version, I'd pay double.

Top Bottom