• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot1UP Official Thread - a new Xbox Live Indie shmup!

scitek

Truespeed said:
I just looked at the video and what an amazing value for 1 dollar. It reminded me of Hybris and Battle Squadron - two of my my favorite shooters. They should put out a PC version, I'd pay double.

Actually, he's hoping to have a PC version out later on. Not sure when but he's looking into Steam.

Truespeed

scitek said:
Actually, he's hoping to have a PC version out later on. Not sure when but he's looking into Steam.

Great news. Instant buy. It's hard to find good shooters on the PC nowadays.

xbhaskarx

scitek said:
What I think is smart about the price point is that I know I have 190 points left over just from other shit I bought that didn't cost all of what I added to my account. Those points have just sat there for months, so it'll basically be like I've already pre-paid :lol

I wonder how many other people just have 100 points or something on their account left over from other purchases.
Yeah but please note that this isn't the only good 80 point Indie Game. There are probably around 5-10 80 point games worth buying.

Does this use more than the 4 face buttons and if it does can the buttons be remapped? Want to try it out with my new Madcatz "drumpad" because shmups play like bliss on it but it only has 4 buttons.

scitek

brain_stew said:
Does this use more than the 4 face buttons and if it does can the buttons be remapped? Want to try it out with my new Madcatz "drumpad" because shmups play like bliss on it but it only has 4 buttons.

No options for controls in the PC build I got. You need the shoulder buttons anyway to expand and contract your armada for bigger bursts of fire and scores.

Good news, though, everyone! Nathan just updated his Twitter feed!

@mommysbestgames said:
Shoot 1UP is approved! Just got the official email. Now waiting to see it pop up on my Xbox. Check the Xbox Live Marketplace tonight!

Check it in a few hours!

In other news, Nathan will be joining us on the CtrlAltKill podcast, the Killcast, which is recording tonight and will be up for listening early tomorrow morning. He's going to be joining as a regular commentator, but we'll also be talking about Shoot1UP, as well. Should be fun.

Gowans

Really diggin it 2 stages in

playing casual as it's late but the consepts great.

Don't fire - shield charges
Shrink your ship - less powerful shots but you can dodge bullets
grow your ship - uber mega killer weapon

:D

fernoca

Awesome! XD
I suck in shooters, but like'em anyway..
Did 4,323,990 on my first run..at 100% speed. ..beat Chilled mode. :D

Sweet. This is the first XBL indie game I've tracked before release with the intent to buy. I'd also be interested to know if you can map the controls as I also bought the "drumpad" and it just arrived today.

RadarScope1 said:
Sweet. This is the first XBL indie game I've tracked before release with the intent to buy. I'd also be interested to know if you can map the controls as I also bought the "drumpad" and it just arrived today.

No theres no remapping. The game probably wouldn't work as well if you used the face buttons instead of LT/RT anyway.

Wow, shield attack does crazy multipiers. 19,881,623 on chillax mode, and thats with me not figuring out how to use the attack until the 2nd last stage, lol.

Gowans

I really hope they update this with online leaderboards.

I would love to hammer that Attack mode some more.

Scitek link your podcast when it's done man.

cramcakes

scitek said:
vii4qc.jpg

2942jnt.jpg

edit: Just read the note about PC/Steam. That's awesome and obviously worth the double dip.

robot

Awesome, awesome game. Love the whole squadron concept, having to huddle together when things gets crazy, then expanding out and just rippin shit up. Highlight of the game is definitely the bosses, there's a really cool worm one that just takes over 90% of the screen. Boss rush would be cool. The ghost powerup is pretty badass too, not sure if there are others?

If anyone is looking for two pies to unlock the other ship - theres one in each of the red paths in level 1 & i think 3. Not sure how I made them appear, I'm guessing certain enemies hold them?

So yea, to echo Master Ninja - it's amazing this game only costs a dollar. My only gripe is it's slightly awkward on a Hori EX, wish there was button mapping. I'd pay another dollar to have it added. And more ships.

Aaron

Bought this without bothering with a demo. It was glorious. Anyone who likes shooting things needs to put their money down.

HadesGigas said:
No theres no remapping. The game probably wouldn't work as well if you used the face buttons instead of LT/RT anyway.

Noooooo!! :(

I really don't want to have suffer playing through a shmup with the 360's dpad.

Edit: Steam release confirmed? Guess I'll just get it there so I can play it with either an arcade stick or a nice dpad.

scitek said:
Posting because you asked for it. Player is on the right.

http://ctrlaltkill.org/?p=3974

It's my second time hosting, so...yeah...enjoy.
ok just beat the game on chilled... i immediately booted up the hardest setting and barely lasted. it's definitely a fun game, i just got to get better... much better.

the game really makes me want to check out other shmups and pick up weapon of choice. :D

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well, hate to rain on the parade but after a few hours with this I gotta say, the shield kill bonus multiplier really wrecks the game as a score-based thing. The scores you get from that are so tremendously inflated over the scores you get from shooting that you may as well not even bother firing. Just roll around doing the shield burst every few seconds and even if your ship count is low/fluctuating constantly, you'll still earn much more than you would even if shooting with a big armada multiplier. I understand the sentiment behind the risk/reward that this multiplier attempts to introduce, but it's too much reward for relatively little risk.

I'm not sorry I bought it, of course, I more than got my dollar's worth before this flaw became pronounced, but the scoring system skewing so ridiculously in favor of a tedious technique that favors recklessness is a huge oversight that really hurts any extended replay value.

I'd like to see an update that reigns in or changes the shield multiplier. I'd suggest perhaps multiplying base enemy value by how many enemies you eliminate at once with it, rather than the current all-inclusive crazy multiplier that applies the same no matter whether you hit one enemy at a time or 20.

scitek

Shig said:
Well, hate to rain on the parade but after a few hours with this I gotta say, the shield kill bonus multiplier really wrecks the game as a score-based thing. The scores you get from that are so tremendously inflated over the scores you get from shooting that you may as well not even bother firing. Just roll around doing the shield burst every few seconds and even if your ship count is low/fluctuating constantly, you'll still earn much more than you would even if shooting with a big armada multiplier. I understand the sentiment behind the risk/reward that this multiplier attempts to introduce, but it's too much reward for relatively little risk.

I'm not sorry I bought it, of course, I more than got my dollar's worth before this flaw became pronounced, but the scoring system skewing so ridiculously in favor of a tedious technique that favors recklessness is a huge oversight that really hurts any extended replay value.

I'd like to see an update that reigns in or changes the shield multiplier. I'd suggest perhaps multiplying base enemy value by how many enemies you eliminate at once with it, rather than the current all-inclusive crazy multiplier that applies the same no matter whether you hit one enemy at a time or 20.

That's a very interesting issue you found. The good news is that he's very good about updating his products if Weapon of Choice is any indication. He added three new difficulty levels and some other stuff just because people wanted it, so you might get your wish.

scitek

Nathan just contacted me and said that he's going to be doing "something" to address the issue Shig brought up. He said he thinks the multi-kill is a stronger skill-based feeling, so he'll be exploring that first.

I'd assume he has to spend some time making sure things are balanced after any changes are made, but look for an update in a few weeks.

Magni

Bought. I wanted to play Raiden but it was region locked, so this'll be the game that'll hopefully get me back to shmups :D

No offense, but cheap poorly balanced 'euroshmups' like this tend to tarnish the genre in the public image and end up making quality titles seem overpriced, since your average gamer can't tell between a good shmup and a bad one. That's bad news for Caves overseas release plans.

Also I'll plug my brothers free shmup XOP Black. http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
scitek said:
Nathan just contacted me and said that he's going to be doing "something" to address the issue Shig brought up. He said he thinks the multi-kill is a stronger skill-based feeling, so he'll be exploring that first.
Awesome, thanks.

Magni

mjemirzian said:
No offense, but cheap poorly balanced 'euroshmups' like this tend to tarnish the genre in the public image and end up making quality titles seem overpriced, since your average gamer can't tell between a good shmup and a bad one. That's bad news for Caves overseas release plans.

Also I'll plug my brothers free shmup XOP Black. http://rydia.net/udder/prog/xopblack

:lol

scitek

mjemirzian said:

It's people like you that come into threads and post completely off-topic links to get their brother's free game hits that give Juniors bad reputations, not to mention your typical elitist shmup-snob attitude.

Oh, no offense.

mjemirzian said:

WTF? I'm getting the feeling you won't be around here very long...

Coin Return

Loose Slot
mjemirzian said:

Your brother's game sucks.

mjemirzian said:

Jackass.

Top Bottom