• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 20 - Draw Mohammed Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roi

norris2.jpg

'Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!' gains steam in reaction to 'South Park'

The Islamic producers of the Web site RevolutionMuslim.com last week were able to silence a "South Park" speech about fear and intimidation. That censorship, however, has spawned another cartoon event: "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" -- a campaign that might not be so easily muzzled.

The event, scheduled for May 20, is gathering momentum online.

A poster-like cartoon titled "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" has been posted on sites ranging from Dan Savage to Andrew Sullivan. But here's the rub: This is not at all what the cartoonist intended to occur.

"I made a cartoon that went viral but [this campaign] isn't really my thing," Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris tells Comic Riffs, characterizing her cartoon as merely a personal response to Comedy Central's censorship. "Other folks have taken it over" -- an unintended appropriation she clearly distances herself from.

That "takeover" now includes a Facebook page titled Everybody Draw Mohammed Day. As of Sunday morning, the page had exceeded 1,500 "confirmed guests."

The creator of the page, Jon Wellington, tells Comic Riffs: "I created a Facebook event because that's an easy way to remind myself of upcoming events, and I thought it might serve that purpose for others too."

Adds Wellington: "I am not a cartoonist, and I loved [Norris's] creative approach to the whole thing -- whimsical and nonjudgmental." As for the event itself, Wellington calls it "a bit of a phenomenon" -- one, of course, that he himself has helped grow in popularity.

The text of the cartoon that's circulating says, in part, that an Everybody Draw Muhammad day would "water down the pool of targets" for Islamic terrorists. It also jokes that the day is "sponsored by Citizens Against Citizens Against Humor or CACAH (pronounced ca-ca)."

Some artists aren't waiting till May 20 to generate their own Muhammad images, which range from the straight-forward to the overtly grotesque and puerile. Any depiction of the prophet Muhammad is considered blasphemous by some Islamic adherents.

Darklord

Banned
Baki said:
This is ridiculous. What happened to mutual respect and common decency.

Well other religions get the piss taken out of them all the time but no one gets all riled up about it. The only reason this has happened is because some Islamic groups instead of just getting over it start going "We are going to kill you! You'll be beheaded with filthy scum!! We'll bomb you all!!" which then make some people turn around and go "Fuck you, here is a picture of Mohammed.".

Krev said:
Immaturity begets immaturity

I think it's more Idiocy begets Idiocy. But +1 anyway

Seriously, this is really stupid and childish, respond to the extremist idiots of a religion by dedicating a day to actively trying to offend many completely innocent people.

Baki

Darklord said:
Well other religions get the piss taken out of them all the time but no one gets all riled up about it.

Which shouldn't happen. And they have every right to protest it if they wanted to. And to be honest, a "good" person would never go out of their way to insult a group of people just for their own amusement. Its just an asshole thing to do.

The only reason this has happened is because some Islamic groups instead of just getting over it start going "We are going to kill you! You'll be beheaded with filthy scum!! We'll bomb you all!!"

Death threats are a bit much, I agree. But why antagonise these people in the first place. Nothing good comes out of it and you just end up upsetting a bunch of people who weren'r involved at all.
which then make some people turn around and go "Fuck you, here is a picture of Mohammed.".

Which upsets/insults millions of people around the world. I'm sure you wouldn't hold the same opinion if people went out of their way to mock the holocaust, black slavery etc..

eznark said:
Respect our views or we will threaten to murder you!

Yeah, sounds mutual.

How about the billion people who weren't threatining to murder you? I can't believe you can't look past the handful of people to see that this is insulting to more than just them?

Furret

Banned
Maleficence said:
I think it's more Idiocy begets Idiocy. But +1 anyway

Seriously, this is really stupid and childish, respond to the extremist idiots of a religion by dedicating a day to actively trying to offend many completely innocent people.

Any "innocent people" that feel mortally offended by someone else not having the same world view as them deserves everything they get.

If I say I'm offended when someone else claims not to like Star Wars do I get to have that 90 minute review of Phantom Menace banned?

Baki

Furret said:
Any "innocent people" that feel mortally offended by someone else not having the same world view as them deserves everything they get.

If I say I'm offended when someone else claims not to like Star Wars do I get to have that 90 minute review of Phantom Menace banned?

Thats not whats happening here though is it. Whats happening is that a bunch of people are actively gathering together to mock something which a lot of people hold dear.

This isn't about differing opinions. Its about mocking/insulting because they can.

Dead Man

Furret said:

You go die in a fire!!!!!
Baki said:
Thats not whats happening here though is it. Whats happening is that a bunch of people are actively gathering together to mock something which a lot of people hold dear.

This isn't about differing opinions. Its about mocking/insulting because they can.
Yep. So?

Darklord

Banned
Baki said:
Which shouldn't happen. And they have every right to protest it if they wanted to. And to be honest, a "good" person would never go out of their way to insult a group of people just for their own amusement. Its just an asshole thing to do.

Protest and saying they are going to behead you are two different things. And by your views every single comedian in history is not a good person and an arsehole.

Death threats are a bit much, I agree. But why antagonise these people in the first place.

They bomb and kill innocent people if they are antagonized or not so fuck'em.

Which upsets/insults millions of people around the world. I'm sure you wouldn't hold the same opinion if people went out of their way to mock the holocaust, black slavery etc..

Too bad. Harden the fuck up or shut up. Simple as that. The world is full of people/shows/movies/books/ect that have offensive comedy in it that target everyone and everything from all kinds of religion, race, sexuality, political views, and yeah probably things like the holocaust and black slavery too. The only reason this has even happened is because of Islam extremists and you know what? The fact they are against it makes people want to do it a thousand times over. If they just shut the fuck up this wouldn't have even happened. A normal islamic person wouldn't be upset to that extent over fucking south park.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
"How about the billion people who weren't threatining to murder you? I can't believe you can't look past the handful of people to see that this is insulting to more than just them?"

Other religions/politicians/actors/etc. are mocked on daily bases and feelings are hurted and yet the world goes around. People of faith should just ignore all these drawings and let God/Allah/Buddha to deal with the blasphemers.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't usually go about my days trying to pick fights with extremists. I do, however think this is a valid thing to do. Sure, it's not very sensitive and it's not very tactful but this situation with religious extremists running amok needs to be put down and ridicule is better than any use of violence. It is disrespectful as hell, but atleast it's not violence.

Furret

Banned
Baki said:

How is that any different from the Star Wars video?

And why is being insulted such a terrible crime that it overrides all concepts of freedom of speech?

womfalcs3

Banned
Shows the weak mentality of those who have no respect for others' beliefs. Thanks for displaying that OP.

Because a couple of people send death threats, it becomes open season. A few people out of 1.7 BILLION MUSLIMS in the world.

As a Muslim, though, I'll show the tolerance that they cannot exhibit. Go ahead, you have the right to behave this way, even if I think it's childish and evidence of a weak mentality.

-------------

Oh, didn't US politicians receive death threats for their views? How logical would it be to paint the entire country and its citizens as violent buffoons because of that?

womfalcs3

Banned
Blutonium said:
I'm not religious so I can draw whatever I want whenever the fuck I want to, yay!

So not being religious means not having any respect toward other people's beliefs?

If that's the case, I'm glad I'm religious. I want to be respectful and have some decency.

I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, they should, freedom of speech and all that. But they look like assholes doing it, it's a big dick move, there are more intelligent and less confrontational ways to make your point, promote freedom of speech and stick it to the extremists.

This is not the kind of thing I would expect intelligent people to be involved in, and to me deserves ridicule in a similar way than the idiots who protest against freedom.

Dead Man

womfalcs3 said:
Shows the weak mentality of those who have no respect for others' beliefs. Thanks for displaying that OP.

Because a couple of people send death threats, it becomes open season. A few people out of 1.7 BILLION MUSLIMS in the world.

As a Muslim, though, I'll show the tolerance that they cannot exhibit. Go ahead, you have the right to behave this way, even if I think it's childish and evidence of a weak mentality.

-------------

Oh, didn't US politicians receive death threats for their views? How logical would it be to paint the entire country and its citizens as violent buffoons because of that?
Soooo... why is it that people who are not Muslim, drawing a person of history, is that offensive to you?

That shows your weak mentality.

G.O.O.

I don't hate Islam, but I hate censorship. I think I'll join.

Also, here in France, a few right-wing douchebag politicians went nuts over a picture that shows someone wiping hiw ass with the national flag. They want a law against that. So if someone created a "soil a national symbol day", I'd gladly join aswell.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
So not being religious means not having any respect toward other people's beliefs?

If that's the case, I'm glad I'm religious. I want to be respectful and have some decency.

:lol

Plenty of religious people out there who has no respect towards other people's beliefs/rights.

Baki

Fuzz Rez said:
"How about the billion people who weren't threatining to murder you? I can't believe you can't look past the handful of people to see that this is insulting to more than just them?"

Other religions/politicians/actors/etc. are mocked on daily bases and feelings are hurted and yet the world goes around. People of faith should just ignore all these drawings and let God/Allah/Buddha to deal with the blasphemers.

Or...People should just stop mocking other people? Crazy idea, I know. At the very least people should acknowledge its an asshole thing to do.

Furret said:
How is that any different from the Star Wars video?

And why is being insulted such a terrible crime that it overrides all concepts of freedom of speech?

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as true "freedom of speech" and for good reason.

If we had "freedom of speech" people would be free to disclose government secrets without reprecussions. People would be free to slander publically (but they can't) etc...

My point, its nice to not offend people unneccessarily. I'm surprised you don't agree with me.

Just like its nice not to call people derogatory terms like "nigger" and "cracker" etc..

On one hand: religious tolerance.

On the other: they censored South Park.

LET'S DO THIS PEOPLE

Just kidding, I can't draw for shit anyway :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Instead of losing their cool...

I honestly believe that Muslims should start making awesome drawings of Muhammad or make a biopic starring Viggo Mortensen as Muhammad and Morgan Freeman as Gabriel.

Take the fun away, much like African Americans use the N-word. Plus, it'll get some people interested ( efficient propaganda!).

Blutonium

womfalcs3 said:

Drawing a person is disrespectful? Whoa...

sillik

Banned
These reactions are just petty as the response of the extremists. Can we please stop teasing the muslims before things get out of hand, again ?

Apath

This is less about offending people and more about retaliation toward an extremist group. Comedy Central giving in to thir death threats sends the message that it works. People getting together todo this shows defiance.

If Jews or blacks sent death threats over south park mocking slavery or the holocaust and comedy central censored it, I'd support a similar situation.

womfalcs3

Banned
Blutonium said:
Drawing a person is disrespectful? Whoa...

You said, "I'm not religious so I can draw whatever I want whenever the fuck I want to, yay!".

Given the context of this thread, whatever you want means mocking the beliefs and religious figures that other people hold highly. It's not about drawing a person, it's about how you draw them.

You referred to the fact you're not religious as the justification. If that's why you feel you can do this, then I'm glad I'm religious.

Baki

Kenak said:
This is less about offending people and more about retaliation toward an extremist group. Comedy Central giving in to thir death threats sends the message that it works. People getting together todo this shows defiance.

If Jews or blacks sent death threats over south park mocking slavery or the holocaust and comedy central censored it, I'd support a similar situation.

I'm pretty sure mocking the holocaust is illegal? Isn't it? I mean some historian in Europe got in trouble for denying it? I think...

EDIT: I've got a questio for you. What if these people protested normally? Would you still support a similar situation? If so, why?

Kenak said:

But instead of retaliating against the fanatics, you're retaliating against anyone who could posible be offended by these depictions of the prophet. It's overhanded, unnecessary, and stupid. It's literally the retaliation of a 6 year old mind.

Furret

Banned
Baki said:
Or...People should just stop mocking other people? Crazy idea, I know. At the very least people should acknowledge its an asshole thing to do.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as true "freedom of speech" and for good reason.

If we had "freedom of speech" people would be free to disclose government secrets without reprecussions. People would be free to slander publically (but they can't) etc...

My point, its nice to not offend people unneccessarily. I'm surprised you don't agree with me.

Just like its nice not to call people derogatory terms like "nigger" and "cracker" etc..

Again you advance the idea that being offended is some awful crime or personal injury.

Frankly I'm offended every time some shiftless shop assistant fails to refer to me as "sir", but I take it in my stride because it's not important.

And that is an example is from a cultural norm that is (or used to be) accepted by everyone.

Having to kowtow to someone else's insistence that their favourite fairy tale is real - with the implied threat that they'll kill me if I don't - is not acceptable in the 21st century.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Baki said:
I'm pretty sure mocking the holocaust is illegal? Isn't it? I mean some historian in Europe got in trouble for denying it? I think...

I don't think it is illegal but it is an political/social suicide to deny holocaust. Then again there are some weird laws in some countries so I wouldn't be surprised if mocking the holocaust is illegal some where in the world.

edit: Holocaust denial is illegal in a number of European countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Switzerland. :lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can't wait for June 20th when I'll hang a black mannequin from a tree. Or July 20th when I'll carve a swastika into a gas chamber where I'll place a Jewish doll eating a ham sandwich. Hey, if they're offended by that, freedom of speech!

This is so stupid. Childish and immature. You don't have to go out of your way to offend people. Death threats are also ridiculous and immature but this attitude is in no way helping.

womfalcs3

Banned
Maleficence said:
But instead of retaliating against the fanatics, you're retaliating against anyone who could posible be offended by these depictions of the prophet. It's overhanded, unnecessary, and stupid. It's literally the retaliation of a 6 year old mind.

I would be supportive if they would focus their attacks on the fanatics who threaten death, but no. They're going after Islam and the general Muslim population. They think it's funny, just as a bully in 6th grade would.

The way Jon Stewart handled it was nice. He eventually went after those who threaten violence, not the entire population.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
While I respect the views some have put forth for not drawing no one, and I repeat no one has the right to dictate what an artists can or can't draw.

No one.

Dead Man

Bboy AJ said:
I can't wait for June 20th when I'll hang a black mannequin from a tree. Or July 20th when I'll carve a swastika into a gas chamber where I'll place a Jewish doll eating a ham sandwich. Hey, if they're offended by that, freedom of speech!

This is so stupid. Childish and immature. You don't have to go out of your way to offend people. Death threats are also ridiculous and immature but this attitude is in no way helping.
Yep. They are the same thing as a drawing of a person. No difference at all.

Edit:
Baki said:

EDIT: I've got a questio for you. What if these people protested normally? Would you still support a similar situation? If so, why?
I don't think most people would be so upset if it was normal protests. It is that fact that death threats are being used to impose censorship that is so hateful, and deserves to be opposed at every level.

Witchfinder General said:
While I respect the views some have put forth for not drawing no one, and I repeat no one has the right to dictate what an artists can or can't draw.

No one.

Again, not trying to dictate what they draw, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve ridicule for it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Kenak said:
I doubt it. You'd piss in your pants if there was a black guy standing over your shoulder watching you draw a cartoon of a black man being hanged.

Apath

Baki said:

If instead of issuing death threats, they proteted and comedy cereal complied? I'd have absoultely no qualms with the Islamic protestor and would be against this.

People make death threats to put an end to something. Populace retaliates in defiance of death threats. That's the issue at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom