• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 20 - Draw Mohammed Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second said:
Why is it forbidden to show his face? I never understood it. Was he ugly?

He didn't want him worshipped himself, so fearing idolatry in the future he basically said to draw him, would be against his wishes. He basically didn't want what happened to Christ to happen to him.

Apath

Bboy AJ said:
I doubt it. You'd piss in your pants if there was a black guy standing over your shoulder watching you draw a cartoon of a black man being hanged.
:lol
I wouldn't personally do it, just like I'm not going to personally partake in this. Doesn't mean I don't support their efforts though.

Crisis

Banned
Second said:
Why is it forbidden to show his face? I never understood it. Was he ugly?

It is considered blasphemous to depict the prophet Muhammed according to some old guy a long, long time ago.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
idahoblue said:
Yep. They are the same thing as a drawing of a person. No difference at all.
So you'd be okay with carving swastikas into the desks of a Jewish school? I mean, it's just a symbol. Symbols don't represent things, right? People don't give meaning to anything.

Dead Man

Bboy AJ said:
So you'd be okay with carving swastikas into the desks of a Jewish school? I mean, it's just a symbol. Symbols don't represent things, right? People don't give meaning to anything.
See, here's the thing. Carving a swastika in a Jewish school is a threat of violence. Drawing a picture of a man is no such thing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
idahoblue said:
See, here's the thing. Carving a swastika in a Jewish school is a threat of violence. Drawing a picture of a man is no such thing.

You're ignoring my point and it's hilarious. The point is that a swastika is a symbol that a group finds very offensive.

A country that touts freedom of speech and expression as a cornerstone of their natural rights as human beings is forced to censor their entertainment because of some death threats from a religion that is not even indigenous to that country.

Defend it all you want; that is fucking disgusting. The show should have been uncensored just like any other they air, but because of some radical thinking pieces of shit, you lose your rights to do so.

The US has officially been neutered by fear, but I guess people are getting used to that by now.

Dead Man

Maleficence said:
:lol :lol

What?
spiderman123 said:
HUH!!!:lol
Bboy AJ said:

You're ignoring my point and it's hilarious. The point is that a swastika is a symbol that a group finds very offensive.
Do you three really not see the difference? On is a symbol of a regime that tried to exterminate a whole people, and cannot be used in without that implication. The other is a picture of a man, who made the rule just so he wouldn't be worshipped.

I would fully support the right of an individual to have a swastika, but not to carve it in a Jewish school. What is so hard to understand here?

Majmun

Maleficence said:
He didn't want him worshipped himself, so fearing idolatry in the future he basically said to draw him, would be against his wishes. He basically didn't want what happened to Christ to happen to him.

Pretty ironic how things have turned out. Draw Mohammed Day wouldn't excist if he'd let people show his face.

fastford58 said:
A country that touts freedom of speech and expression as a cornerstone of their natural rights as human beings is forced to censor their entertainment because of some death threats from a religion that is not even indigenous to that country.

Defend it all you want; that is fucking disgusting. The show should have been uncensored just like any other they air, but because of some radical thinking pieces of shit, you lose your rights to do so.

The US has officially been neutered by fear, but I guess people are getting used to that by now.

I just don't, I mean seriously?

They werten't forced to do anything, they may have done it out of fear, but even then it was still their choice.

And what exactly is a religion indigenous to the USA? Mayan?

AFreak

Banned
Baki said:
Which upsets/insults millions of people around the world. I'm sure you wouldn't hold the same opinion if people went out of their way to mock the holocaust, black slavery etc..

Death camp of intolerance - South park episode with lemmiwinks.

The Chappelle Show, made fun of Glory and the whipping scene by a black dude.

Sorry, but freedom of speech is a big, fundamental part of the US's Constitution. fuck the PC bullshit(which is sadly a big part of GAF :( )

You should be able to make as many jokes as you want about anything you want as far as I'm concerned(it's one thing I hate about China, that's for sure, no one speaks their mind).

Dead Man

Maleficence said:
I just don't, I mean seriously?

They werten't forced to do anything, they may have done it out of fear, but even then it was still their choice.

And what exactly is a religion indigenous to the USA? Mayan?
So if I hold a gun at your head and tell you to give me all your money, that is your choice, I didn't force you, right? :lol

xbhaskarx

Baki said:
I'm sure you wouldn't hold the same opinion if people went out of their way to mock the holocaust, black slavery etc..

1) Is drawing a person comparable to mocking the holocaust and slavery?
Let me add that passing laws against such things is idiotic

2) Do you have any idea what sorts of opinions regarding the holocaust are socially acceptable in the Islamic world?

idahoblue said:
So if I hold a gun at your head and tell you to give me all your money, that is your choice, I didn't force you, right? :lol

It was NOT an immediate threat to their lives, don't even act like it was.

G.O.O.

Other problem : some people (fanatics AND some drawers) don't make the difference between this

2emjrk8.jpg

(tell me how the fuck this is offensive)

and this

2gxjuqv.jpg

(which IS offensive imo)

CassSept

Baki said:
Thats not whats happening here though is it. Whats happening is that a bunch of people are actively gathering together to mock something which a lot of people hold dear.

This isn't about differing opinions. Its about mocking/insulting because they can.
So, exactly just like what happens to Christianity, right?

Why is this religion so delicate that it's prophet can't be mocked? How else would the internet get back at these so called extremists? Yes, a lot of other people might get offended but it happens to all other religions, this should be no different. You can't really control what other people are going to do, why get so bent up over it. This might be an immature way to go about this but is that really uncommon nowadays, surely it comes to no surprise.

Baki said:
Or...People should just stop mocking other people? Crazy idea, I know.

Or ... nobody give a fuck what other people are drawing? Crazy idea, I know.

Bboy AJ said:

"Holy shit! Call the Mossad! We have a Buddhist at our school!"

G.O.O. said:
Other problem : some people (fanatics AND some drawers) don't make the difference between this

and this

(which IS offensive imo)

It shouldn't be, I wouldn't be offended at all. But people who hold views distorted by history may be, I just don't see why people think it's so necessary to do it. What most muslims know is that drawing the prophet is bad, they don't really know the reason behind it, and therefore find even the simplest of depictions as offensive. This is of course absurd, but that doesn't mean that going out of your way to offend, even when those beliefs are distorted, is a good thing to do. It's also absurd, educating people is what is needed, not offending people.

Bboy AJ

idahoblue said:
Do you three really not see the difference? On is a symbol of a regime that tried to exterminate a whole people, and cannot be used in without that implication. The other is a picture of a man, who made the rule just so he wouldn't be worshipped.

I would fully support the right of an individual to have a swastika, but not to carve it in a Jewish school. What is so hard to understand here?
What is so hard for you to understand that drawing Mohammad is just as offensive to some as a swastika? Why is that difficult to grasp?

No one here is saying death threats are justified. I'm not saying that you should be set on fire if you draw Mohammad. What I am saying is that it is childish and immature to go out of your way to offend a billion people.

AFreak said:
You should be able to make as many jokes as you want about anything you want as far as I'm concerned(it's one thing I hate about China, that's for sure, no one speaks their mind).
And speaking for myself, I agree. You should be able to make jokes about anything and people should be able to be offended. Tough, that's how it goes. But a cartoon day? Really? It's so ridiculous.

G.O.O. said:

http://i44.tinypic.com/.jpg[/]

and this

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2gxjuqv.jpg[/]

(which IS offensive imo)[/QUOTE]
Because the image itself is offensive to a certain group of people. Is this really all that difficult to understand? Your reasons about it being stupid to be offended by drawing a picture of a man is one thing. Your inability to understand that is another.

[QUOTE=brotkasten]"Holy shit! Call the Mossad! We have a Buddhist at our school!"[/QUOTE]
Maybe if they view it with a mirror :)

Kettch

Being offended by a drawing and nothing else is an absolutely ridiculous belief, and deserves all the laughter and mockery that it gets. If you don't like it, don't look at it. Pretty simple.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
This is sorely, sorely needed. I am all for respecting peoples silly traditions (okay well not really, but roll with me) but when people start to die and receive threats and 'warnings' on their lives for some bullshit like a drawing - it's too much.

It does feel like to me that a lot of Muslims don't understand that they are just as susceptible to 'offensive' imagery/language directed at them/their beliefs as anyone else. They should not get special treatment - and if a bunch of people are... I don't know, hurt? Or sad over some strangers drawing pictures of some dude, that speaks to a larger issue rooted in their religion, and it's archaic nature. They cannot and should not superimpose their beliefs on everyone else, just because Muslims believe that something is sacred, does not even sort of mean it should be deemed sacred to everyone else.

I mean, to some people it offends them when they see homosexual kisses on cable TV, does that mean homosexual kisses should be banned from being aired because we want to respect their beliefs? No, all thoughts and beliefs will and should be challenged, nothing is sacred - and nothing should be.

Bboy AJ

Kinitari said:
I am all for respecting peoples silly traditions (okay well not really, but roll with me) but when people start to die and receive threats and 'warnings' on their lives for some bullshit like a drawing - it's too much.
I agree. A reverse holocaust is totally needed because of what Hitler did.

Dead Man

Bboy AJ said:
What is so hard for you to understand that drawing Mohammad is just as offensive to some as a swastika? Why is that difficult to grasp?

No one here is saying death threats are justified. I'm not saying that you should be set on fire if you draw Mohammad. What I am saying is that it is childish and immature to go out of your way to offend a billion people.

And speaking for myself, I agree. You should be able to make jokes about anything and people should be able to be offended. Tough, that's how it goes. But a cartoon day? Really? It's so ridiculous.

Because the image itself is offensive to a certain group of people. Is this really all that difficult to understand? Your reasons about it being stupid to be offended by drawing a picture of a man is one thing. Your inability to understand that is another.

Maybe if they view it with a mirror :)
Which really boils down to:
Bboy AJ said:
A group of people are offended by anything that purports to be a representation of this one man, so no one should draw him, ever.
Is that about right?

Maleficence said:
It was NOT an immediate threat to their lives, don't even act like it was.
Really? So duress only occurs if it is an immediate threat to their life? I don't think you understand what acting out of fear of a threat means.

Bboy AJ

idahoblue said:
A group of people are offended by anything that purports to be a representation of this one man, so no one should draw him, ever.
No, it doesn't. Go ahead and draw him and offend people. That's fine. But organizing an entire day to offend a group of people, based off of a few extremists, is absurd, ridiculous, and childish.

Do you have any respond to my one specific statement and all encompassing feelings on this subject? If not, please stop responding to me.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Bboy AJ said:
I agree. A reverse holocaust is totally needed because of what Hitler did.

I'm sorry what? I don't know what part of this statement I understand the least.

1. What's a reverse holocaust? Do you go around... giving people hair and pampering them? Sure, if you want, go for it.

2. What does the holocaust have to do with anything?

Bboy AJ said:
No, it doesn't. Go ahead and draw him and offend people. That's fine. But organizing an entire day to offend a group of people, based off of a few extremists, is absurd, ridiculous, and childish.

Do you have any respond to my one specific statement and all encompassing feelings on this subject? If not, please stop responding to me.

I don't know if it is childish, kids aren't all that good at organizing events. And anyone, I don't really think it's all that absurd or ridiculous - maybe if will force many Muslims to come to terms with the fact that their religion - while sacred to them - is not sacred to the rest of the world.

AFreak

Banned
Bboy AJ said:

Ok, so it is offensive and over the top, but they have the right to do it if they so choose. The people that will be offended will be offended, end of discussion.

But you are acting like people shouldn't do this just because it is offensive, and that I disagree with.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Instead of mocking Mohammad or Islam, why not just mock those who are willing to threaten violence?

Because they can. Some people find religions so ridiculous that they like to make fun of them.

Bboy AJ

Kinitari said:
I'm sorry what? I don't know what part of this statement I understand the least.

1. What's a reverse holocaust? Do you go around... giving people hair and pampering them? Sure, if you want, go for it.

2. What does the holocaust have to do with anything?
I'm saying that what Hitler did is fucked up. And what these death threat Muslim extremists are doing is fucked up, too. But you don't have to offend the entire Muslim community in an organized manner just because of the extremists. Just like Jews shouldn't organize a day to offend all the Germans because of what Hitler did.

Anyway, the Holocaust is a pretty extreme and crazy example. I apologize for that. I'm just saying we shouldn't go out of our way to offend an entire community based on what a few idiots are doing.

idahoblue said:

Is that about right?

Really? So duress only occurs if it is an immediate threat to their life? I don't think you understand what acting out of fear of a threat means.

When did he ever say the artists shouldn't be able to draw the prophet?

You don't see the difference between someone standing there with a gun and a death threat?

Kettch

If this movement were about forcing Muslims to stare at images of Mohammed, that would be an asshole thing to do. Hell, if Muslims objected to image inserts on the forum and wanted Mohammed images hyper linked so as to be able to avoid them, I'd even consider that a reasonable request.

But to be offended by the drawing of him anywhere by anyone that has absolutely no effect on them is not something that deserves respect.

Kuramu

People keep calling it retaliation. I instantly thought the point was to create cover and fight for free speech. They can't target everyone.

Bboy AJ

AFreak said:
Ok, so it is offensive and over the top, but they have the right to do it if they so choose. The people that will be offended will be offended, end of discussion.
No, I agree, they have the right to do it. But it's still immature to do so.

AFreak said:
But you are acting like people shouldn't do this just because it is offensive, and that I disagree with.
I am basically saying take the higher road. I'm all about freedom of speech. I think we agree there, no doubt.

Steppenwolf said:
Some people are actualy comparing these drawings with the holocaust? wtf
Are you offended? Huh, I wonder why.

Mad Max

Baki said:
I'm pretty sure mocking the holocaust is illegal? Isn't it? I mean some historian in Europe got in trouble for denying it? I think...

EDIT: I've got a questio for you. What if these people protested normally? Would you still support a similar situation? If so, why?

You can mock it, but denying it is illegal in some countries. But what you're forgetting is that the holocaust and this are two totally different things. There is no real argument for not allowing people to depict mohammed other then "because islam says so", and even that is sort of overridden by the fact that there have been many depictions of mohammed in the past. (by muslims) You should also realise that people are just targetting this aspect of islam with this and not the religion as a whole.

damisa

Why is it that muslims go ballistic at anything that might even be remotely be considered disrespectful toward mohammed, but are perfectly fine when atheists say things like

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."-Richard Dawkins

Apparently God isn't as sacred as some random "prophet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom