• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning! A Huge Podcast Stage 5 - feat. SWERY and special guest Francis York Morgan

mollipen

Typically, I try to stay away from self-promotional thread creation (I think the last time I did so was for the Persona 4 cover story I did for Play in Dec 2008), but for our latest episode of WARNING! A Huge Podcast we were honored to be able to do something really cool that meant a lot to us. So, I (and my partners in crime Nick and Casey) really wanted to make sure we got the word out about this.

(I hope it isn't too terrible for me to post this; I've seen other podcasts posts new threads for every episode they release, and this is the first time any of us has created a thread ourselves for WAHP.)

Anyhow, for our latest show - Stage 005 - our main topic of discussion was that wonderful little game Deadly Premonition. As a part of that, Nick contacted the game's director, SWERY, and he was kind enough to do an interview with us over email. Awesome, of course, except for one problem: how do you take a translated email interview and do it right for putting into the podcast?

That is where Nick's mystical powers of persuasion came through once again, as he got one Mr. Jeff Kramer to record SWERY's answers for us. If that name doesn't mean anything to you, you may know him better by the character he voiced: FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan.

It is, I have to say, a pretty surreal experience hearing York coming out of my headphones when listening to a podcast I'm a co-host on. *laughs*

So, for us, this was a really thrilling opportunity, especially since we're still getting ourselves off of the ground and are only five (well, technically six) episodes in. If you're a fan of Deadly Premonition, please check the episode out. Even if you're not, you'll find a lot of great importing gaming-related content on the episode; I've included the rundown for this latest Stage below so you know what all you'd be getting.

Edit: The interview kicks off around the 3:15:00 mark. If you're jumping straight to the interview, start off at that point for the full effect. But please, if you get time, listen to the whole show!

How to Get the Episode

You can get WAHP via iTunes from one of two ways: the dedicated WAHP feed, or the main morning radio feed. (morning radio is my little podcasting network: that feed gets you any and every show released through it.) WAHP Stage 005 is currently up for direct download on the morning radio feed, but hasn't shown up yet on the dedicated WAHP feed. If you subscribe to the WAHP feed, however, the show will be found and downloaded. Or, you can go to the main morning radio website and either directly download from there or grab the subscription link for non-iTunes subscription methods.

Edit: Stage 005 is now also up on iTunes under the WAHP dedicated feed.

iTunes: WAHP Dedicated Feed
iTunes: morning radio Full Feed

wahp-cover2-300x300.png

WARNING! A Huge Podcast is Approaching Fast!
A podcast covering the world of Japanese gaming, brought to you by ex-GameFan and ex-Play stars Nick Rox, Casey Loe, and shidoshi.

//Stage 005
//Main Topic: Deadly Premonition

//Interview: SWERY

//Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, Ys: Oath at Felghana, Mamotte Knight

//Subtopics: WAHP's new cover art, reworking the audio for previous episodes, PhyreEngine powering unannounced games, will a Demon's Souls sequel exist, Kazunori Yamauchi personally beats Forza 3, Hiroshi Yamauchi founds cancer hospital, Nick Rox swears he sees import titles on US Xbox Marketplace, recent announcements of games coming to North America, Twitter Watch, upcoming releases, listener mail, and our super-sizes special on Deadly Premonition, featuring an exclusive interview with the game's director, SWEARY, with answers read by Franics York Morgan himself (aka voice acting megastar Jeff Kramer).

//Feedback: wahp@morningproject.com
//Site: radio.morningproject.com
//Twitter: shidoshi (@pikoeri), Nick Rox (@NickRoxNRX)

//Special Thanks: SWERY (@SWERY65 on Twitter), Jeff Kramer, Greb Weber (WebTone), Horipu-

Darklord

Banned
Never heard this podcast, never cared for it. But after watching the Giantbomb Endurance Run I really want to hear the Swery stuff, and in Yorks voice? That's awesome. Wouldn't you agree, Zach?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
4 hours? Really? What were you guys thinking... :D

I'll see if i can get through listening to it. But I HAVE TO listen to the Swery interview.

mollipen

drizzle said:
4 hours? Really? What were you guys thinking... :D

What's sad is that this episode is the result of efforts we've been doing to make the shows shorter. *laughs* We cut a lot of content we originally had set for the show and yet we still end up with this length.

To be fair, the DP stuff is like around an hour of content, and being that was our special topic for the show, I won't complain too much. We're trying to get everything more compact, though, and the next episode should be nowhere near as long.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I don't pay attention to any podcast's besides giant bombcast, but this is definitely one way to get my interest.

Soo checking this out.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
shidoshi said:
What's sad is that this episode is the result of efforts we've been doing to make the shows shorter. *laughs* We cut a lot of content we originally had set for the show and yet we still end up with this length.
I'll give you this: This is one properly named podcast. :D

Takuhi

DJmizuhara said:
Just wondering if any of you guys are in Japan or all based in the states using Skype?

We're all based in the states now, and spending small fortunes to import all our games. :(

So yeah, we Skype it, but we each record our own parts so it doesn't sound awful.

mollipen

SnowWolf said:
Any chance of that Morning Radio podcast making a return?

If I can get some of the other folks who were doing it with me to start up again, maybe. Problem is, a lot of us aren't following the J-entertainment scene as much as we were before. It was always a fun time, though, so I'd love to do more episodes.

trejo

Oh my God, this is awesome. Thank you.

Also, I thought it was obvious that all the shadows were supposed to be
all the people who died 50 years ago
. Glad to have confirmation from the man himself.

answer my pspgo questions

edit: oh wait they did. Surprised they used my real name, and managed to screw up both pronounciations. Liked the input though :D

Deadly Premonition stuff doesn't interest me at all, but I really liked all the other episodes up to now, so I'm glad there's plenty of non-DP content here, too.

Danielsan

It's so odd to hear York's voice actor reading Swery's answers.
Amazing though.

I'd love them to interview the voice actors as well.
I'd be interested to hear their thoughts on the the script and the experience.

mollipen

Onion_Relish said:
dit: oh wait they did. Surprised they used my real name, and managed to screw up both pronounciations. Liked the input though :D

Okay, to be fair: I'm involved with another podcast (Smart Video Game Fan), and there's a companion podcast to that (Smart Wrestling Fan) that has a lot of cross-over fans. I'd swear there's somebody who writes in all of the time to their podcast with a name similar to yours, so it must have been influence in how I pronounced it.

So, I apologize, but this episode was a very good lesson: if there's any chance we could screw up the pronunciation of your name, tell us how it should be pronounced! *heh*

SWERY both directed the game and provided voice acting for the main character? That's really interesting...

Anyways, I'll definitely give this a listen eventually.

Edit: wait...so they got the voice actor for york to read SWERY's answers to the podcast? haha that's so confusing and so awesome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Podcast is really long and I originally thought it was going to be all 4 hours of interview lol. But still, great stuff.

mollipen

autobzooty said:
Edit: wait...so they got the voice actor for york to read SWERY's answers to the podcast? haha that's so confusing and so awesome.

But... I... explained it quite clearly in the OP. *cries*

Just finished listening to all the Deadly Premonition section of the podcast, great job not only on the discussion but managing to get Jeff Kramer to read out SWERYs answers.

One thing I want to point out though, throughout the podcast (most evident after the interview) there was a rather annoying buzzing/rattling noise. I don't know if it was something going on outside of where you were recording, something inside like a fan, or if one of the mics is partially broken but it was very distracting.

mollipen

Azure Phoenix said:
One thing I want to point out though, throughout the podcast (most evident after the interview) there was a rather annoying buzzing/rattling noise. I don't know if it was something going on outside of where you were recording, something inside like a fan, or if one of the mics is partially broken but it was very distracting.

It was an issue with Nick's setup that typically isn't there. When we recorded, it didn't seem to be audible, but that ended up not being the case. It's one of the rough parts of doing podcasts: you don't always know something will be a problem until you're done, and at that point the only solution would be to go back and re-record the entire thing.

Top Bottom