• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Lijik

loosus said:
Are you guys looking at the same trailer I am? This game looks like the culmination of everything that is wrong with Sonic.
Would you say that watching the trailer is like defacing a work of art?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Awesome trailer. The game really has a shot at ending up as one of Sonic's best games (I like the direction the series took in 3D Sonic levels, I like speed, although I do love the original games, too).

Lijik

Seda said:
I would put Unleashed and Heroes on the same level. Both were enjoyable enough, but had major drawbacks.

I agree with this assertion and would personally put Adventure 2 in the same camp although most would disagree with me.

Big One

Banned
Personally I greatly enjoyed Unleashed. At the time both of the Adventure games are cool, but nowadays you realize how glitchy they are and how bad the story and voice acting is. Adventure games are miles above Heroes or 2006, but still I feel they're pretty bad (despite some cool ideas like Chao). Now Unleashed, I never ran into glitches, and highly enjoyed it more as a successor to Sonic R's formula with bigger and more levels. I know that wasn't the intent of the developers but that was exactly the feeling I got from playing it.

Sonic Colors looks cool too, but I hope it doesn't have that same flaw Unleashed has: It still doesn't feel like a real platforming game, despite plenty of good design choices.

ILikeFeet

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I think Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3) blows Sonic Heroes out of the water.

I only played the wii version but the levels looked much better. but no game has come close to Adventure 2 (which I think is the best 3D sonic)

November 16th? That's the same day the U.S. gets LittleBigPlanet 2!!

Well, Media Molecule had a good run

I'm getting all three, and then making a momentum based Sonic game in LBP2

Bear

Looks basically like Unleashed with some gimmicks added and the warehog removed. Graphics look nice for Wii. Looks a lot like Unleashed, which was one of the only two 3D Sonic games I actually kind of liked, but knowing Sonic Team they'll probably find some way to fuck it up.

Don't know if want.

ReiGun

Hell, I like it. It seems like the big "gimmick" everyone's waiting for is just the Wisps, which are integrated into the good parts of 3D Sonic. I'm looking forward to it.

Gilgamesh said:
At least the song was better than the theme for the new Avengers cartoon.
Eh, it's a toss up.

Teknoman

It looks like a pretty fun Sonic 3d title to me. The Unleashed Sonic daytime stages (HD version) worked well enough for Sonic in a 3d game. Personally I think the behind the back speed sections were well done, as long as everything isnt automated (loops and so on).

An even mix of 2d platforming and 3d behind the back Sonic 2/3d blast bonus stage style gameplay works for 3D Sonic titles.

Now whether or not it plays well, or is actually fun is another story. Also I need to hear some in game tracks :lol

Suzuki Yu

pretty good trailer indeed but actually there is nothing new from the E3 Demo other than some cool additions like the driller robots at 00:40

but now we can confirm according to the boxart that there would be 8 wisps on Wii 6 on DS , 4 of them in both games 4 exclusive to the Wii and 2 for the DS , that's a total of 10 wisps...

I hope after this game, they rethink the way they include and use certain set pieces over and over, like the tri-rails, the rainbow ring launchers, etc. Every time they make a new Sonic game, you don't see much of them at first, then once they get closer to launch and show a real trailer like this, there they are, all over again. It's like they're trying to force them to be iconic as the question blocks in SMB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see strings of rings you have to light dash through eventually. Maybe they'll make that a Wisp power, though. But even if the layout is different and better, I'm a little tired of playing Sonic games where the levels segments are strung together with the same set pieces since Heroes (and to a degree, SA2). It may sound like a strange complaint, but it makes it harder to think of this as a new and different Sonic game.

Yoshi

Imo "new and different" isn't needed. Sonic's main problem was being unfocused. Sonic's gameplay was intact in all but two games (Sonic 2006, Sonic & the Black Knight), additional gameplay styles were the bad factor. Chaos, overworlds, Knuckles' gameplay, Big, character changing, shooting, Werehog, RPG-elements, those were the problems the series had to face. So having a focused game that plays on the strengths and doesn't include a new form of bullshit is a great progress.

Nert

Kulock said:
I hope after this game, they rethink the way they include and use certain set pieces over and over, like the tri-rails, the rainbow ring launchers, etc. Every time they make a new Sonic game, you don't see much of them at first, then once they get closer to launch and show a real trailer like this, there they are, all over again. It's like they're trying to force them to be iconic as the question blocks in SMB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see strings of rings you have to light dash through eventually. Maybe they'll make that a Wisp power, though. But even if the layout is different and better, I'm a little tired of playing Sonic games where the levels segments are strung together with the same set pieces since Heroes (and to a degree, SA2). It may sound like a strange complaint, but it makes it harder to think of this as a new and different Sonic game.

That's not a strange complaint at all. Nearly everyone loves the Mario Galaxy games, and a large reason as to why that is the case is that the levels have a high degree of variety. Almost every level throws in a new mechanic, concept, or type of challenge that makes things fresh and fun. If every level had the consisted of the same five things (but rearranged!), the games would lose most of their luster.

TimmiT

This game was playable at Summer of Sonic, and a Sonic Stadium member posted these impressions:
Controls for the Gamecube right now seem to be mimicking the 360 Unleashed setup.

A to jump, B to boost, X to slide/ground-stomp in the air. I think it's one of the triggers to use wisp powers? A lot of people got confused about that.

Presumebly due to being a demo, the game didn't have tutorial prompts for the Gamecube controller, so there was a lot of holdup while each and every player tried every button when the on-screen prompt told them to waggle the Wii Remote.

People might have noticed this from footage (I had no idea until I played), but the air dash has been replaced with a mini double jump (i.e., you can only homing attack when there is a target nearby). The quick time events on ramps have been replaced with recommend prompts to double-jump in mid-air to perform minor stunts (such as leaping over the missile last second on Sweet Mountain).

The gameplay itself is basically just (and this is what made me feel "Man that was AWESOME... but not worth the four hour wait"), more Unleashed. It plays so much like just new levels for Unleashed it's crazy. There IS definately more emphasis on slowing down for small platforming puzzles for sure though, and the controls for such things are WAY less sensitive. They've really addressed everything that was strongly disliked about Unleashed's level design.

However, for those still wanting classic style multiple routes in the levels (one of the few things Wii Unleashed did right in terms of level design), I can at least confirm Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain won't cure that hunger. I kinda feel like I saw a FEW hard to reach areas, but certainly no players ahead of me made use of them. Only the small variance of routes we've had since Sonic Adventure.

As for the DS version, yeah, it really plays like Sonic Rush. However almost the exact same changes have been made to the formula as in the Wii version. Tricks are gone entirely, much less use for boost, much more mini platforming puzzles. The 3D effects have been given a slight beef up too. The score screen in particular had some really pretty lighting on Sonic's model as he posed in front of the theme park.

A staff member of Sonic Stadium responded to the part where he said that there weren't any multiple routes in the first two levels:

Ooooh no, this aint true ;). There are at least two SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT multiple paths in every level in the Colors demo, and Iizuka himself says that there are several. It's not only way better then the small variances in SA, but it's much more substantial then the mild variances in Sonic Unleashed.

Thing is, you gotta look for them. One path I distinctly remember was underground in the Sweet Mountain level.

zigg

People who are saying it was "just like Unleashed"—forgive me, because I sat Unleashed out, but do they mean the Wii version, possibly? Because I downloaded the 360 demo and hated it, but I really got into Colors.

Also, yes, there were definitely multiple ways to go through the stages. I did several myself. I particularly liked defeating the carnival boss with the laser powerup...

Teknoman

zigg said:
People who are saying it was "just like Unleashed"—forgive me, because I sat Unleashed out, but do they mean the Wii version, possibly? Because I downloaded the 360 demo and hated it, but I really got into Colors.

Also, yes, there were definitely multiple ways to go through the stages. I did several myself. I particularly liked defeating the carnival boss with the laser powerup...

They mean the 360/PS3 version. Colors is supposed to be the "best" parts of Unleashed refined.

So basically like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey32XHstfko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6zydPGbNQ

But hopefully with less whoo and more 2d sections (3d sections are nicely done, but shouldnt take up most of the level, should be an even mix, and no qte). And of course no werehog beat em up style sections.

My only issue with 3d Sonic Unleashed style is that there are usually boost pads in every loop, even though you can gain enough speed on your own. Just like Sonic 2 added the spin dash so you wouldn't need to go back and get a running start, since 3d Sonic focuses on the boost meter now, you should be able to pick up speed without dash pad assistance 24/7.

ShadiWulf

Inside, A Hint at New Characters?

Speaking to First Comics News, writer for Archie’s Sonic comics Ian Flynn discussed the upcoming Sonic Colors tie-in planned for November–the same month as the game’s launch worldwide.

“SEGA provided us with the script and some concept art about five months from when the adaptation story will run,” Flynn said in the interview.

From there, it’s a matter of fitting the square peg of Sega’s plans–which constantly clashes with the ongoing comic storyline, according to the Q&A–into the overall round hole. In this case, the result is a secondary story in issue #219, which will follow the first in the two part In Service to the King arc.

“We’ve taken to the ‘Another Time/Another Place’ tactic,” Flynn said. “The Sonic comics have long supported a rich multitude of alternate universes – a “multiverse” if you will. Our initial adaptations fall within the scope of the multiverse, making them legitimate, but not throwing off the main continuity. Then, when we have the time, we can work in new game elements properly.

Flynn also addressed the prospect of new characters in Colors and how that may tie in to future comics.

“It wouldn’t be a new Sonic game without new characters, now would it?” Flynn quipped. “But that’s all I can say.”

The full Q&A can be read at the link cited above.

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/08/11/flynn-speaks-on-sonic-colors-archies-tie-in/

ShadiWulf

Seda said:
Addition of new friends.....sigh
SONIC CYCLE

oh wait, only in a comic tie in or the game itself?
sounds like more then just a comic tie-in to me, but who knows, communication can easily be screwed up ;)

“It wouldn’t be a new Sonic game without new characters, now would it?” Flynn quipped. “But that’s all I can say.”

MAtgS

Seda said:
oh wait, only in a comic tie in or the game itself?
Name 1 sequel to ANY fictional work in ANY medium that didn't add a single new character in some way. This is such an overblown complaint.

Yoshi

MAtgS said:
Name 1 sequel to ANY fictional work in ANY medium that didn't add a single new character in some way. This is such an overblown complaint.
Super Mario Bros. 2.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Knux-Future said:
Birdo and Wart?

He has to be talking about the "Lost Levels." Super Mario Bros. 2 in the United States is completely new characters.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MAtgS said:

Pokemon Emerald?

Some of the Kirby games too, I think.

Lijik

Willy105 said:
Not at all.

They have faces in later games, and he said 'in some way'. That is a way.
I'm a bit tired, I totally glazed over the 'in some way' bit. Thanks mate.

HPIM0681.jpg

Best New Character of '86. Fact.

nexen

MAtgS said:
Not all games introduce new playable characters with brand new play mechanics. Sonic games have a consistant track record for doing exactly that and having the new playable characters suck the fun out of the game. Why is this not a valid complaint? It is not like someone is bitching that they've added a new enemy type or a Sonic reskin.

Lijik

nexen said:
Not all games introduce new playable characters with brand new play mechanics. Sonic games have a consistant track record for doing exactly that and having the new playable characters suck the fun out of the game. Why is this not a valid complaint? It is not like someone is bitching that they've added a new enemy type or a Sonic reskin.
I thought they already confirmed this game to be sonic only meaning the only way that would happen is if Sonic turned into the Carnival Spacehog for half the game, which doesn't exactly scream "New characters" to me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
TimmiT said:
This game was playable at Summer of Sonic, and a Sonic Stadium member posted these impressions:

A staff member of Sonic Stadium responded to the part where he said that there weren't any multiple routes in the first two levels:
Any word on if drifting is back in the game? If the 3D sections are just running forward, that's going to be very dull, and drifting was the best new mechanical aspect of Unleashed. Made steering around turns ten times easier.

TimmiT

The_Technomancer said:
Any word on if drifting is back in the game? If the 3D sections are just running forward, that's going to be very dull, and drifting was the best new mechanical aspect of Unleashed. Made steering around turns ten times easier.
Drifting is back. You can drift by tilting the nunchuck.

Sonic-Colours-Wii-screen-14-1st-Aug1.jpg

The Technomancer

TimmiT said:
Drifting is back. You can drift by tilting the nunchuck.
Awesome. Well, okay, tilting the nunchuck sucks, but it was also mentioned above that it supports GC controllers, which I will take as confirmation that it also supports CC.
Awesome! :D

NTom64

The_Technomancer said:

Drifting's definitely included, you can see it in the latest trailer. Around 00:56 or so.

EDIT:
Beaten, it would seem!

NTom64 said:
Drifting's definitely included, you can see it in the latest trailer. Around 00:56 or so.

EDIT:
Beaten, it would seem!

Say Tom, are the odds looking good of a NTom64 + FTA HellFireComms Sonic Colors commentary? ;)

Hopefully it's sooner than later. :p

BTW, why was the Secret Rings commentary canceled? I think it only went up until Part 17 was it?

NTom64

Hero of Legend said:
Say Tom, are the odds looking good of a NTom64 + FTA HellFireComms Sonic Colors commentary? ;)

Hopefully it's sooner than later. :p

BTW, why was the Secret Rings commentary canceled? I think it only went up until Part 17 was it?

Yes, but Sonic CD/3+K first. We're redoing Secret Rings, and it was cancelled due to recording issues.

The Technomancer

By the way, was there ever really a consensus on whether the Wii or PS360 had better daylight stages? Or even an idea of how they played differently? I never played the HD version.

NTom64 said:
Yes, but Sonic CD/3+K first. We're redoing Secret Rings, and it was cancelled due to recording issues.

Ah, I see. :)

Hope everything goes well, love your stuff. :D

The_Technomancer said:
By the way, was there ever really a consensus on whether the Wii or PS360 had better daylight stages? Or even an idea of how they played differently? I never played the HD version.

I myself don't remember what reviews said, but in my eyes from playing Wii and watching HD playthroughs, the HD version's WAY too fast, and the Wii version's are wider seemingly.

But like I said, I don't recall if critics preferred the Wii or HD day stages, maybe the fact the Wii version was more commonly the higher-rated one points to the Wii day stages actually being preferred? Wasn't the Werehog seen as worse on Wii? Particularly due to the controls (which I myself found to be okay, and I only used the Wiimote + Nunchuck setup)?

Lijik

The_Technomancer said:

I don't know about the consensus, but I felt WiiS2 had the better night stages (not that you asked) and PS360 had the better day stages by far (though the Robotnikland stage in the WiiS2 version is extremely good).

I remember the day stages in the WiiS2 stages to generally feel like long stretches of nothing, while there was more (though still just a mild amount) of platforming in the PS360 version and the bits that were empty roads felt more exciting to me.

ILikeFeet said:
from the videos I saw, the HD levels looked much cooler than the Wii levels.

The Wii/PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed has its fans. But yeah, what I've seen of it, levels in the SD version of the game just seem really... empty? They also seem to focus more on running without stopping to do anything else. The HD version does a lot, too, but I dunno:

Dragon Road (Wii)
Dragon Road (360)

The Wii version is probably not awful, but if you have to pick one...

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sega1991 said:
The Wii version is probably not awful, but if you have to pick one...

the wii version isn't bad at all, but the levels' roads are wide with little stuff in them.

about Colors, I think I'm warming up to the theme. something must be wrong with me.

Luigiv

ILikeFeet said:
the wii version isn't bad at all, but the levels' roads are wide with little stuff in them.

about Colors, I think I'm warming up to the theme. something must be wrong with me.
:lol Me too actually. Honestly though, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just annoying songs get less annoying as you get use to them. It's a natural defence mechanism for staying sane.

Mael

ILikeFeet said:

Stage 1 I guess :lol
No seriously it doesn't look bad.

ShadiWulf

new interview with Takashi Iizuka, the man you all know and love

GAME: One of the main criticisms of Sonic is often that it's so fast, sometimes people don't fully feel in control. How do you address that, given that Sonic is a series based around speed?

TI: We know there are sometimes opinions about control from core gamers, but we're intending Sonic Colours to be played by children of probably between six and twelve years-old.

So, with Sonic Colours we have aimed more to make a game that everyone can control and have fun in. So, it's not really a game for the core gamers. If you take the rail grind, it's something that's fast, not difficult but is fun to do and looks great. It's about making a game that's right for the core audience of the game.

GAME: Does that mean you risk alienating those core gamers who grew up with the franchise? Does Sonic Colours have something in there for them, too? Or might they be getting a different Sonic release designed for them in future?

TI: I think that there are two types of Sonic players.

One is the people who have played since the MegaDrive, who are mainly fans of 2D Sonic games and didn't really play the 3D Sonic games so much. For those gamers Sonic Team will be giving them Sonic 4 [for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network] so they can pick the Sonic game they want to play.

The other is the ones who have played 3D Sonic games and felt that the game was too difficult. Sonic Colours is the game for those types of players. It's still a 3D Sonic game but the controls are more user-friendly; it's an easy to pick up and play type of game.

So through the two Sonic games I feel the needs of both of the two core groups of Sonic fans are being addressed.

GAME: And what's next for Sonic?

TI: [Grins] We've already announced Sonic Free Riders for Kinect, but if you look at 2011 that's the 20th Anniversary of Sonic, so you might just be seeing something special for that.

Could you tell us a bit about the story behind Sonic Colours? It looks more like the old games, which were set on Moebius, than the new-style Sonics set in Station Square...

We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side. The only human in the game is Dr Eggman, who tries to build this huge amusement park which, as you will see on the world map, ties all these planets together with a tractor beam.

Eggman is trying to use all of these planets for his own evil ends which will be revealed at a later time, and Sonic realises what he is trying to do and sets out to try and stop him. That is the main story behind Sonic Colours.

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Platform/Sonic-Colours/~r349876/?s=sonic+colours

also, be sure to follow the HONEST AND TRUE Iizuka on twitter!
http://twitter.com/IizukaTakashi (it's a parody, but it's great)

Top Bottom