• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Hey GAF, got a bit of an odd one here that you'll hopefully be able to help me with!

Can anyone think of any 2D games that feature Wormholes/Vortexes/Rifts/Portals? (Preferably sprite art, but any will do). I'm looking for some reference images for my own project, but I'm having trouble finding anything beyond the small "Warp Zone" portals in Super Meat Boy.

Anyway, if anybody does know, I'd really appreciate the help! :)

What about Gateways from Smudged Cat Games:
http://www.smudgedcat.com/gateways.htm

Also, No Time To Explain, though that's not pixel art:
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Time_to_Explain

Dice//

Banned
Hey guys.
So what's a good PC game controller? I'm playing Undertale, and using a keyboard is driving me bananas.
Is that USB Xbox one still top tier?

I like my wireless 360 controller. It works right out of the box and most PC games, suitable for gamepads, will display the correct button art.

Hey guys.
So what's a good PC game controller? I'm playing Undertale, and using a keyboard is driving me bananas.
Is that USB Xbox one still top tier?
If you want things to just work, then an Xbox controller is without doubt the best choice. If you are feeling adventurous, then consider a Steam Controller, which will both take more fiddling and getting used to, but which is also usable with a lot more (types of) games.

Foddzy

Neo Member
How are PC gamers configuring multi-channel surround sound?
If I hook up my HDMI receiver to my NVIDIA graphics card, I get a "phantom" monitor off to the side of my 1440p display. I can't clone the display to make the phantom go away due to the HDMI apparently only doing 1080p.
The mouse cursor tends to get lost there sometimes and its a big hassle. I used to use the monstrous analog multichannel octopus cable back in the day but that is no longer an option due to the receiver not having the analog inputs.

Dice//

Banned
I like my wireless 360 controller. It works right out of the box and most PC games, suitable for gamepads, will display the correct button art.

Ucchedavāda;194043761 said:
If you want things to just work, then an Xbox controller is without doubt the best choice. If you are feeling adventurous, then consider a Steam Controller, which will both take more fiddling and getting used to, but which is also usable with a lot more (types of) games.

Thanks both of you. :)

It's a competent turn based strategy/tactics game with a gorgeous anime art style & a story worth paying attention to. A flawed gem: a game that's definitely worth playing.

Thanks! I've been gaming for 25 years never heard anything about this game until recently. Was originally PS3 or PS2?

Thanks! I've been gaming for 25 years never heard anything about this game until recently. Was originally PS3 or PS2?
It was originally PS3 and came out right around when the recession hit, when the PS3 was still near $500.

The PS4 remaster is exciting primarily for people who don't have PCs that can run the game, since Valkyria Chronicles has a port that can run well on a potato.

It was originally PS3 and came out right around when the recession hit, when the PS3 was still near $500.

The PS4 remaster is exciting primarily for people who don't have PCs that can run the game, since Valkyria Chronicles has a port that can run well on a potato.

Nice! Seems very intriguing.

AaronMT86

More of a hardware/software question, how are streamers able to get game audio in their headsets (console) and chat audio from Discord on PC at the same time?

Big Nikus

I'm using the "intermediary" or "semi-detailed" view for my Steam games (don't know what to call it really), and I just added a non-Steam game. Problem is, the image stays at an icon format, and it's ugly. I've searched but I can't figure out how to make the shortcut image appear with the same format as the other games. When I right click on it, I just have the option to change the icon. Quick screencap:

jRVMy9m.jpg

Bowlie

Banned
I'm using the "intermediary" or "semi-detailed" view for my Steam games (don't know what to call it really), and I just added a non-Steam game. Problem is, the image stays at an icon format, and it's ugly. I've searched but I can't figure out how to make the shortcut image appear with the same format as the other games. When I right click on it, I just have the option to change the icon. Quick screencap:

You can't insert a custom image in List View unfortunately; only in Grid View.

oldmario

i wanna get a HORI NES case that's supposed to be for a N/3DS XL but my use for it will be DSi XL, will it rattle around in it?

Ucchedavāda;194010116 said:
What about Gateways from Smudged Cat Games:
http://www.smudgedcat.com/gateways.htm

Also, No Time To Explain, though that's not pixel art:
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Time_to_Explain

Solve all your problems with Black Hole.

http://scribblenauts.wikia.com/wiki/Black_hole

How about Chrono Trigger portal/warp?

Thanks guys, those have all been a big help. I Finally managed to make something that looks decent :p

Anastasis

My Kinect for XB1 will calibrate only audio, but not the angle. Has this been an issue for anyone? Thanks!

Edit: From Reddit this is a known issue "TL;DR: NXOE probably screwed it up; wait for next patch."

I had a 360 last year and copied a Fallout New Vegas save to a USB stick. Lost the 360 but I kept the stick. Tried loading it on buddy's 360 but it says there are no saves. Can't copy or move the saves to the hdd either. Something about a profile error. Am I fucked?

Eidjinn

Is it worth to buy a IPS monitor to use with my ps4?

Mind you, I don't play much fps... maybe a little bit of Fifa and MLB the Show, while I majorly play single player third person shooter games.

Also, tv is a little bit of the matter, as my room is small.

Thnaks in advance!

Oreoleo

I had a 360 last year and copied a Fallout New Vegas save to a USB stick. Lost the 360 but I kept the stick. Tried loading it on buddy's 360 but it says there are no saves. Can't copy or move the saves to the hdd either. Something about a profile error. Am I fucked?

Did you download/migrate your profile to his console before you tried to move the saves over? Most of that stuff is tied to your gamertag. If you did that and it's still giving you an error, yeah you're probably fucked.

Is it worth to buy a IPS monitor to use with my ps4?

Mind you, I don't play much fps... maybe a little bit of Fifa and MLB the Show, while I majorly play single player third person shooter games.

Also, tv is a little bit of the matter, as my room is small.

Thnaks in advance!

How much do you value accurate color reproduction/deep black levels? I get the impression from your post you think IPS will influence frame rate or refresh rate which is not always the case.

Eidjinn

How much do you value accurate color reproduction/deep black levels? I get the impression from your post you think IPS will influence frame rate or refresh rate which is not always the case.

Actually, I don't know!
i've being using a TN monitor for...10 years, maybe? So I really don't know the difference in image. I just wanted colors that are more vibrant.

What I truky wnat to know if the jump in image and color quality will be worth it, or I should just go by a Benq TN!

How do I get a ps3 controller to work with portal 2 on mac? It works in steam big picture mode and with other steam games i've tried like bastion but with portal 2 it doesn't work and just continuously shoots portals

Did you download/migrate your profile to his console before you tried to move the saves over? Most of that stuff is tied to your gamertag. If you did that and it's still giving you an error, yeah you're probably fucked.

I bought the 360, used, at a pawn shop and didn't even hook it up to Live. Just created a profile that wasn't my gamertag and went on playing.

Does the PS3 store still have a section for PS2 and PS1 games somehow? I hadn't looked at it in some time and I can't fucking find anything without looking for the name of a game directly in the search bar. Didn't they have like PS1 and 2 classics nicely sorted out and stuff?

God I hate the PSN store, so awkward to go through.

Tecnniqe

Banned
How do i replace the holy G9x when its discontinued? D:

I had no idea it was discontinued back in 2013 and was looking to pick up a brand new one, either its super high price or removed from shelves at this point :|

Sarcasm

Is there a way to actually see what is on the eshop without a device? I am buying a n3ds xl and bought monster hunter 4 ultimate for 29. That is a physical edition though.

Why don't PS3 sticks work on PS4 in the first place? Aren't they all USB devices? Why don't they just "work"?
PS4 controllers have a touchpad and more buttons. Even if PS3 controllers were compatible with the system, they would not be compatible with all games. Sony also dropped support for many last-gen controllers (e.g. racing wheels) because of potential security issues.

Do they make high quality USB gaming headsets? I've been using a $30 Logitech headset/mic job and ... it's okay. It's nothing special: I got what I paid for. But do good ones (like surroundsound or whatever) exist, or does USB have some technical limitations?

"But someguyinahat, what's wrong with the regular audio jacks?"

We're in the stupid gaming questions thread, so ... just humour me please. :)

-Horizon-

Didn't want to make a thread just for this question so I'll ask here: which of the f2p games on ps4 are newcomer friendly?

I've got world of tanks and war thunder dling now but I'm not sure how those will be for an inexperienced player.

Robso

Are some updates for last gen games taken offline? I'm specifically curious about the first Rainbow Six Vegas. I entered the disc into the 360 and no updates popped up to download, despite there having been updates for the game released years ago.

Sarcasm

So I just bought a N3DS Xl and bought a game on the eshop. Is there really no account? Is it tied to the handheld? What happens if my handheld gets lost?

PtM

Banned
So I just bought a N3DS Xl and bought a game on the eshop. Is there really no account? Is it tied to the handheld? What happens if my handheld gets lost?
Then your game gets lost.
You can create an NNID, which Nintendo helpdesk theoretically could assign to another hardware, so that you could redownload your games.
There's a Nintendo account coming up in March that should simplify this.

Sarcasm

Then your game gets lost.
You can create an NNID, which Nintendo helpdesk theoretically could assign to another hardware, so that you could redownload your games.
There's a Nintendo account coming up in March that should simplify this.

NNID is that linking thing?

Top Bottom