• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Doing the same stuff over and over to get exp/gold/items.
makes sense. thanks.
As dedicated servers can be set up by users, they allow stuff like unofficial mods, new maps, and custom playlists. PC games like Garry's Mod and TF2 wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful without dedicated servers.
but mods don't work on consoles. so what's the benefit of halo or gears of war of having dedicated servers instead of p2p?
It really depends on the game and the particular implementation in that game (what people call "netcode").

For example, like Hackworth said above, certain games like Garrysmod or TF2 wouldn't be possible with P2P, because the server's particular configuration is part of the game (like it has mods, or plays a particular set of maps).

In other games, like Titanfall for example, you actually want server configurations to be identical, and because they have a smaller number of players per game, the difference between the host player and any other player is minimal. P2P also uses matchmaking, so getting into a game is pretty quick, the matchmaking server just puts you on a list, and then makes games out of people on that list. No digging through server menus or finding out that your favourite few servers are all at capacity.

Now, dedicated server systems can have matchmaking (usually called "quick join" or something), but many don't, and even those that do are often not as good as in a P2P based game (like it will stick you in a server that is bad for some reason, like has only 2 people playing or only plays one map or something).

TLDR; if server configuration is important, like with mods, or the servers support a large amount of players, like 32 vs 32 TF2 servers or any MMO ever, dedicated servers are absolutely superior to a P2P implementation. However, in cases where the network traffic is relatively low, and server configuration doesn't matter/is identical, P2P has some advantages over dedicated servers, and relatively few downsides in terms of lag.
what do you mean by server configuration?

there's two games on Ps3 I remember that had robust online features: mag and resistance 2. i'm guessing because they didn't have dedicated servers that there were problems?

kungfuian

Quick question. Does anyone know if we can play on PSVR (or any of the VR units) without having them plugged into a TV/monitor? If so that would be a really great addition! So we could get a PS4 and PSVR with no need for an additional screen if we choose?

Seems like it would be pretty doable aside from the coop couch functionality of a few games. But traditional games could by default be projected in VR cinema mode and everything else in normal VR mode. So no need for a TV!

If I was Sony I would be working on adding this functionality to the current system set up. VR would be seen as more of a replacement for the traditional screen than an attachment (a replacement for the traditional TV with special functionality). And space wise it would allow users to set up the PS4-VR almost anywhere in the house without having to compete for valuable household screen time/space.

Quick question. Does anyone know if we can play on PSVR (or any of the VR units) without having them plugged into a TV/monitor? If so that would be a really great addition! So we could get a PS4 and PSVR with no need for an additional screen if we choose?

Seems like it would be pretty doable aside from the coop couch functionality of a few games. But traditional games could by default be projected in VR cinema mode and everything else in normal VR mode. So no need for a TV!

If I was Sony I would be working on adding this functionality to the current system set up. VR would be seen as more of a replacement for the traditional screen than an attachment (a replacement for the traditional TV with special functionality). And space wise it would allow users to set up the PS4-VR almost anywhere in the house without having to compete for valuable household screen time/space.

While you don't need to hook the PS4 up to the TV, traditional games in cinema mode are unconfirmed at this time. So you may be stuck with VR games if you're otherwise screenless.

Think Sony are calling the TV feed during VR play the social screen. Where it can show what the VR user is seeing or even let another player play.

kungfuian

While you don't need to hook the PS4 up to the TV, traditional games in cinema mode are unconfirmed at this time. So you may be stuck with VR games if you're otherwise screenless.

Think Sony are calling the TV feed during VR play the social screen. Where it can show what the VR user is seeing or even let another player play.

Thanks

Hopefully something they support early on. Seems like a no brainer to me, From a marketing perspective much easier to sell it as a replacement to the traditional TV screen than as an attachment! Same goes from the Oculus and Vive IMO

Thanks

Hopefully something they support early on. Seems like a no brainer to me, From a marketing perspective much easier to sell it as a replacement to the traditional TV screen than as an attachment! Same goes from the Oculus and Vive IMO

It will be on Oculus and Vive.

For running a game using VRs, they should only be 60fps or other things are required?
For example can we play a game like Forza Motorsport 6 (60fps without any drop) with VRs or developers should reduce graphic quality of the game? (I know X1 doesn't have VR, thats only an example!)

Jay Sosa

is the extra content for the le of Sleeping Dogs for the 360 on a seperate disc or a dl code? (meaning can i buy a used copy and expect to get the extra content)

bonus question: is the dlc/ec even worth it?

tia

Costia

For running a game using VRs, they should only be 60fps or other things are required?
For example can we play a game like Forza Motorsport 6 (60fps without any drop) with VRs or developers should reduce graphic quality of the game? (I know X1 doesn't have VR, thats only an example!)
At least 90 fps + render for each eye or warp based on depth map + warp for VR headset lens distortion (high FOV).
It's probably possible to do as post-processing on a pc game. But there is also the problem of the UI - a UI that was designed to be viewed on a screen a few feet awway will probably look bad in VR.

makes sense. thanks.

but mods don't work on consoles. so what's the benefit of halo or gears of war of having dedicated servers instead of p2p?

Dedicated servers means lower ping and less lag for everyone and that translates directly into a better experience. Usually it's powerful machines with very good internet connections. P2p on the other hand, a guy with a horrible connection can be the host and you will all have a terrible session.

At least 90 fps + render for each eye or warp based on depth map + warp for VR headset lens distortion (high FOV).
It's probably possible to do as post-processing on a pc game. But there is also the problem of the UI - a UI that was designed to be viewed on a screen a few feet awway will probably look bad in VR.
Wow! So that's the reason for "not great" graphics for most of PSVR games. I really want to see what's PD doing in GT Sport.

Dedicated servers means lower ping and less lag for everyone and that translates directly into a better experience. Usually it's powerful machines with very good internet connections. P2p on the other hand, a guy with a horrible connection can be the host and you will all have a terrible session.
interesting, thanks.

so why doesn't sony offer dedicated servers for their exclusive games? i don't remember any badass lag issues with uncharted, but still - Uc4 is going to be their biggest exclusive, so they should make it a priority to have the best online they could possible have

Tenebrous

Do Greenmangaming (GMG) not do coupons anymore? I can't find one on their site.

Edit: Scratch that. I found them through Google (they're usually on the homepage).

Playstation TV remote play is similar to Vita remote play where the PSTV can be in an entirely different area (let's say a state away) and can connect to the PS4 on the network to remote play using the PSTV?

If that is the case does it work for local multiplayer in the sense that someone at the PS4 could play using a controller and someone a state away using the PSTV could be doing remote play to control player two? Or does it limit control access so both would have to be on the PS4 or both playing on the PSTV? I'm assuming that's the case. My roommate is asking me and I realized I don't know the specifics since I haven't used remote play myself. This is a bit tough to Google as I kept getting a lot of similarly worded questions but not this situation.

Roldan

If two people have one PS4 each, can they share a digital game and play said game at the same time? Given that they are in different accounts, that is.

I imagine this involves that primary/secondary account stuff on PS4, but I don't understand much of it.

Kolx

Playstation TV remote play is similar to Vita remote play where the PSTV can be in an entirely different area (let's say a state away) and can connect to the PS4 on the network to remote play using the PSTV?

If that is the case does it work for local multiplayer in the sense that someone at the PS4 could play using a controller and someone a state away using the PSTV could be doing remote play to control player two? Or does it limit control access so both would have to be on the PS4 or both playing on the PSTV? I'm assuming that's the case. My roommate is asking me and I realized I don't know the specifics since I haven't used remote play myself. This is a bit tough to Google as I kept getting a lot of similarly worded questions but not this situation.

I've played Diablo 3 co-op with a couple of friends. They were playing on my PS4, and I was on my Vita. Each of us had to be signed in on our own individual accounts, and it worked. Granted, we were all in the same room, so there were no latency issues. I imagine it can work over longer distances, but then connection issues could come into play. As long as the PSTV and PS4 are both plugged into the router and not going Wi-Fi, games might be playable.

I've played Diablo 3 co-op with a couple of friends. They were playing on my PS4, and I was on my Vita. Each of us had to be signed in on our own individual accounts, and it worked. Granted, we were all in the same room, so there were no latency issues. I imagine it can work over longer distances, but then connection issues could come into play. As long as the PSTV and PS4 are both plugged into the router and not going Wi-Fi, games might be playable.

Thanks for the reply. I'll relay that info along and let her figure out if it works out well enough for her needs.

Linkyn

I'm looking to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on steam. I am aware that there is a Director's Cut for the game, and ideally, I'd like to play that one. I've read that the DC is cheaper if you own the original game on steam, but the price that appears for me is just the regular 19.99. Am I missing something here or was the price reduction just a temporary offer? I'd rather not spend more than I have to.

I'm trying to find some kind of charging solution for my PS4 controller. since I sit pretty far away from the PS4 itself I can't have the controller plug in while I play. and I tried plugging it in via the USB port on the power outlet and it doesn't seem to charge. I want to find something that can charge the controller while I play, like an independent charging station but from what I see online not much of those allows you to keep playing while charging (I sometimes play for very long sessions). can GAF provide some helpful tips please? I kinda want to get one of those long cables and be done with it but it seems the quality of the connectors on those seems to be somewhat bad so I'm still considering that right now.

Anastasis

I'm looking to use a 20% off coupon on Street Fighter 5 right at launch (coupon can't be used on preorders).

Has anyone had any luck buying a game right after it launches and still received preorder bonuses? I'm wondering if there is some slight window of time there when you'd still get those bonuses. Thanks!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm looking to use a 20% off coupon on Street Fighter 5 right at launch (coupon can't be used on preorders).

Has anyone had any luck buying a game right after it launches and still received preorder bonuses? I'm wondering if there is some slight window of time there when you'd still get those bonuses. Thanks!

Nope. Preorder means before launch. That's how they get ya.

I have a stupid question about the sections in Neogaf ...

What is the difference between the GAMING section and the Community Section?

Or the Off-Topic section and it's community section?

The Gaming section has a lot of the same type of posts and it's community section, and there is no description on the main page.

Thanks for any help!

PtM

Banned
I have a stupid question about the sections in Neogaf ...

What is the difference between the GAMING section and the Community Section?

Or the Off-Topic section and it's community section?

The Gaming section has a lot of the same type of posts and it's community section, and there is no description on the main page.

Thanks for any help!
Community forums are dumpsters for threads which've overstayed their welcome and shouldn't clutter up the first page any longer.

Drain You

Are there any headsets that I can use on both Xbox one and PC for both Gamechat and Audio on both platforms? Never in my life have I ever even tried to use voice chat on PC so I really know nothing. Id love to get on in the 50-150$ price range.

Are these fighting game tournament streams archived anywhere and does anyone know where i can find them?

I watched some of the Basic Instinct stream last night and would like to watch the rest of it.

hesido

Why do seemingly none of the upcoming VR games have inverse kinematics and just use floating hands/guns?

As the shoulders, elbows, and wrist positions and orientations are not tracked, this creates a discordance with your own proprioception of your own extremity position - we have fairly good estimate of our extremity positions even without seeing them.

Trying to second guess it mostly can result in a wrong solution, therefore you end up breaking the illusion of presence more than breaking the illusion when you can't see your arm, and our brain is very good at filling the gaps.

I only have 16:9 HDTV's but not everyone does. How do this and last console generations (so PS4, PS3, XB1, 360) handle games on 4:3? Is it just letterboxed so you have the black bars, or does image fill the screen in but the HUD and FOV gets crunched in or cut off?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Why do a lot of gamers shit on indie games so much? Is it because Sony has been offering them as PS+ titles or that a lot don't look like a AAA game?

Fandangox

In Devil Survivor Overclocked does anyone know the name of the track that plays at the beginning of a battle (while on the field grid) the one that starts with a guitar rift, it doesn't seem to be listed on the OST, at least not the play list I istened to on youtube lol

Are these fighting game tournament streams archived anywhere and does anyone know where i can find them?

I watched some of the Basic Instinct stream last night and would like to watch the rest of it.

If it was on Twitch, check the stream page and they most likely have an archive and/or a YouTube. The good streamers record and stream so they can easily upload to YouTube later.

I believe:

http://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

Was the stream you were watching? If it's the KI world cup?

Hey GAF, got a bit of an odd one here that you'll hopefully be able to help me with!

Can anyone think of any 2D games that feature Wormholes/Vortexes/Rifts/Portals? (Preferably sprite art, but any will do). I'm looking for some reference images for my own project, but I'm having trouble finding anything beyond the small "Warp Zone" portals in Super Meat Boy.

Anyway, if anybody does know, I'd really appreciate the help! :)

Hey GAF, got a bit of an odd one here that you'll hopefully be able to help me with!

Can anyone think of any 2D games that feature Wormholes/Vortexes/Rifts/Portals? (Preferably sprite art, but any will do). I'm looking for some reference images for my own project, but I'm having trouble finding anything beyond the small "Warp Zone" portals in Super Meat Boy.

How about Chrono Trigger portal/warp?

Solve all your problems with Black Hole.

http://scribblenauts.wikia.com/wiki/Black_hole

I don't know if I should post a new topic for my PS3 problem.
Thing is: a file got corrupted (I don't know how or why...) and I can't use the console anymore unless I choose to erase all data. I'd like to do a backup of at least the savedata files. Is it possible to plug my PS3's hdd to a PC that I can do my backup ?

Top Bottom