• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 USB Jigkick confirmed real

mooooose

Sounds like PANDORA BATTERIES all over again.

Insert hacked device.

Starts before firmware even loads.

Unpatchable.

Doesn't do much on it's own, but can lead to other things.

This is one of the better kind of hacks you can have on your hands. It means you're always ahead of them, and you always have a hole.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cyberheater said:
Is there something inherently special about the usb memory stick apart from it probably being protected?
Its most likely like the Pandoria battery trick, the USB Stick has a serial number, and upon bootup the PS3 most likely checks for it, and if it matches boots up debug mode. Its ment for fixing the system.

I love how convoluted Nintendo's is, you have to push all 4 dirrection on a Gamecube controller pluged into the 4th player slot, then the system will go into a mode where it will load a debug disc if its in. Most likely for the repair center its just a jig that you have to plug in, but for the rest of it that how you have to do it.

Oh, it also has to be an offical Nintendo Controller I think.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
cyberheater said:
Is there something inherently special about the usb memory stick apart from it probably being protected?

magic and some special hardware to get the PS3 to boot it first. Someone leaked Sony's internal key and these people cloned it. The person that leaked it, if caught, Kaz will summon the great Krazy Ken who will reign down mass hellfire on him/her.

spidye

Galvanise_ said:
The firmware team are barely useful as it is, and now they'll spend their time trying to salvage this situation. More delays for requested features and enhancements will follow for those who go about their gaming legally. Thanks modders!
:lol :lol
so nothing's going to change

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Drkirby said:
Its most likely like the Pandoria battery trick, the USB Stick has a serial number, and upon bootup the PS3 most likely checks for it, and if it matches boots up debug mode. Its ment for fixing the system.

Thanks. Seems reasonable.

I'd get one but the price is putting me off. I loved HDD loader on my PS2. Made it a lot easier to grab a quick 10 minute blast if you don't have to hunt for disks.

RavenHawk

Sorry for the off-topic question here, but I just purchased a 250g slim to replace my launch 60g (reads blu-ray discs s-l-o-w-l-y) and was wondering how much drive space should be available? Mine shows 205g available out of 232g. Do the system files take up 27g of space?

itxaka

Defeatist
Galvanise_ said:
The firmware team are barely useful as it is, and now they'll spend their time trying to salvage this situation. More delays for requested features and enhancements will follow for those who go about their gaming legally. Thanks modders!
Yeah, because they have always delivered features on time right? :lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
alr1ghtstart said:
magic and some special hardware to get the PS3 to boot it first. Someone leaked Sony's internal key and these people cloned it. The person that leaked it, if caught, Kaz will summon the great Krazy Ken who will reign down mass hellfire on him/her.

So I guess it would be easy for Sony to detect this on their online servers and ban the ip like the MS guys do on Xbox Live.

mooooose

cyberheater said:
Thanks. Seems reasonable.

I'd get one but the price is putting me off. I loved HDD loader on my PS2. Made it a lot easier to grab a quick 10 minute blast if you don't have to hunt for disks.
If you wait another 3 months after this thing is released, you're going to prices cut up to 80%. Everyone is going to want in on this. These guys probably paid out the nose for a black market version of the debug stick, and they're trying to get the most out of their investment, but for everyone else it's going to mean buying one of these and cloning it.
Why do people think this will open the doors to ps2 emulation? The ps3 hardware just isn't capable of doing it.
There is a rudamentary PS2 emulator in the PS3's firmware under debug.
So I guess it would be easy for Sony to detect this on their online servers and ban the ip like the MS guys do on Xbox Live.
I really don't know about that. It's still your PS3 running what should be your game, just emulated off a hard drive. The only way they could tell is if it accesses PSN as a debug unit too. But we still don't know entirely how this works.

alr1ght

RavenHawk said:
Sorry for the off-topic question here, but I just purchased a 250g slim to replace my launch 60g (reads blu-ray discs s-l-o-w-l-y) and was wondering how much drive space should be available? Mine shows 205g available out of 232g. Do the system files take up 27g of space?

IIRC the system OS takes up a percentage of the total HDD, not a set size.

DonMigs85

RavenHawk said:
It reserves about 10% of drive space as a system cache.

RavenHawk

Thanks for the replies! It seemed higher than my 60g by quite a bit, but I still have my linux partition on there, so it was hard for me to judge.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
H_Prestige said:
Why do people think this will open the doors to ps2 emulation? The ps3 hardware just isn't capable of doing it.
It exists in debug mode so some homebrew work could expand it to a more workable level.

mooooose said:
If you wait another 3 months after this thing is released, you're going to prices cut up to 80%. Everyone is going to want in on this. These guys probably paid out the nose for a black market version of the debug stick, and they're trying to get the most out of their investment, but for everyone else it's going to mean buying one of these and cloning it.

There is a rudamentary PS2 emulator in the PS3's firmware under debug.

I really don't know about that. It's still your PS3 running what should be your game, just emulated off a hard drive. The only way they could tell is if it accesses PSN as a debug unit too. But we still don't know entirely how this works.

Rudimentary ps2 emulation doesn't sound so hot. If the hardware is theoretically not capable of emulating the ps2 gpu, then I don't see how opening the doors to the homebrew people will magically change that.

Now unlocking the psp emulator would be pretty neat.

It's kind of funny how Sony (or the fanboys, I don't know) tout the ps3 as this extremely open device, yet there are so many things that the hardware can easily do that Sony doesn't allow.

alr1ght

H_Prestige said:
It's kind of funny how Sony (or the fanboys, I don't know) tout the ps3 as this extremely open device, yet there are so many things that the hardware can easily do that Sony doesn't allow.

It is extremely open (moreso pre-linux destruction) when it comes to accessories (open wireless standard, usb sticks for memory, any hdd will fit). Would I love my PS3 playing PSP games? Yes, the PSP is an ergonomic nightmare. I see why they don't do it though as it will cannibalize PSP hardware sales.

-viper-

Banned
Can someone bring up to speed with regards what has happened? The PS3 has got hacked? Does this only affect fat models or the slim too?

alr1ghtstart said:
It is extremely open (moreso pre-linux destruction) when it comes to accessories (open wireless standard, usb sticks for memory, any hdd will fit). Would I love my PS3 playing PSP games? Yes, the PSP is an ergonomic nightmare. I see why they don't do it though as it will cannibalize PSP hardware sales.

Not much left to cannibalize there.

And I'd think that out of the people still buying the damn thing (mostly in Japan), the appeal is mainly portability, so psp emulation on the ps3 shouldn't have any adverse effect.

Yeah, Ken definitely made the console more open than the competitors, and even its own predecessors, and I seem to recall that one of the rationales was to decrease the amount of people who would try to hack the system. It seems the current management running the show has completely forgotten that and is slowly going back in the opposite direction of closing down the hardware.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
-viper- said:
Can someone bring up to speed with regards what has happened? The PS3 has got hacked? Does this only affect fat models or the slim too?
PS3 Jig-kick cloned so it sends the PS3 into debug mode, and can now run unsigned code. It works with all models.

lupinko

-viper- said:

Modshop was able to get hold of Sony debug dongle/software, can turn any retail PS3 into debug PS3 that can play PS3 (only PS3) software backups.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
-viper- said:

It's a service mode, so both.

jcm

The idea that there's a golden age of homebrew coming is puzzling to me. No one wrote much of anything for other OS. Why would things be different now?

JudgeN

-viper- said:

Its not really a hack its seems to be using the debug mode that all PS3 have. If this is true, I don't believe it till someone gets one in there hands. Or Sony shuts them down before they try to ship anything.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
CozMick said:
So has this "mod" been proven to work flawlessly or is it just Hype-Gaf turning a youtube vid into gospel truth?
I guess the method of getting it to work seems plausible, as it is using Sony's own method for running unsigned code. The videos are a little vague, seeing as they cut-off pretty rapidly after the title screens - might mean there are issues past the initial boot that they don't want you to see.

expy

Banned
Watch Sony release a patch for this exploit alongside with cross-game chat... Pretty much forcing everyone's hand into updating... :lol :lol

poppabk

expy said:
Watch Sony release a patch for this exploit alongside with cross-game chat... Pretty much forcing everyone's hand into updating... :lol :lol
Well the hack is almost definitely gonna be incompatible with online anyway, so adding multiplayer specific features isn't gonna work to hook people into updating.

Tensai

Banned
jcm said:
The idea that there's a golden age of homebrew coming is puzzling to me. No one wrote much of anything for other OS. Why would things be different now?
The PS3 actually has the power to make all these people's dreams come true unlike previous consoles.

poppabk

jcm said:
Access to the graphics card etc?

fixuis

expy said:
:lol throw a little ps2 emu in there and everyones gonna update :lol

captmcblack said:
If this is legit, I'm going to buy another PS3, find a way to roll it back to old Linux-friendly FW, and hope that they crack it wide open like they did the original Xbox.

Seriously...a PS3 with all of its available HW available to use for running whatever OSes you wanted, full-tilt emulation, and media server software (HD XBMC? omg) would be the most awesome thing ever made...it'd be the HTPC I always wanted!

Or you could just buy, a, you know, HTPC!?

The PS3 is ill suited for homebrew emulation anyway, its main PowerPC core is super slow and no emulator coder is going to make use of those SPUs, same applies to video codecs as well. The fat PS3 is pretty damn big as far as modern HTPCs go as well.

kyo_daikun said:
Bring on the PS2/ crazy emulations!

Not happening.

jcm said:

OtherOS was extremely limited in terms of speed so there wasn't much point. It did however have MediaCenters, Emulators and such coded for it so while it wasn't a huge success there was support there for it.

A fully opened PS3 should get a lot more support from Homebrew developers.

qwerty2k

is it naive of me to think the firmware dev team are saving features up for a big release? if not then what the fuck are they doing? sony seem to be adding so little to the ps3's os as of late its ridiculous, wish they would dump shit like vidzone and home and concentrate on useful stuff.

CozMick

Banned
10 pages, 10 PAGES?!?!

And the damn thing hasn't been confirmed to even work!

Geez Gaf at least do the "I wanna back-up my games" a little more subtley :lol

German console modding store confirms that it's legit.

http://www.gamefreax.de/

They're also not allowed to sell it and already destroyed the stick they got from the developer lol.

Edit: Other interesting facts:
Installing of unsigned packages also confirmed
Works with 3.41 but prevents the console from updating to anything >3.41
Installing a backup to the hard drive takes 10-15 minutes
Need another retail game in the drive

tokkun

CozMick said:
10 pages, 10 PAGES?!?!

And the damn thing hasn't been confirmed to even work!

Geez Gaf at least do the "I wanna back-up my games" a little more subtley :lol

It has been "confirmed" by multiple modchip suppliers.

You may want to get all of your "all of you in this thread are pirates" out of your system now, before this becomes like the Wii Homebrew or PSP CFW threads.

Erasus

brain_stew said:
The PS3 is ill suited for homebrew emulation anyway, its main PowerPC core is super slow and no emulator coder is going to make use of those SPUs, same applies to video codecs as well. The fat PS3 is pretty damn big as far as modern HTPCs go as well.

Yup, all you people how think the cell is a powerhouse is a bit wrong. Well it is very powerful if you use all the SPUs, but homebrew probably wont do that.

It's clear that the Cell processor isn't all that impressive as a general-purpose CPU; if it's not executing code designed to run on the Cell processor, it's generally slower than a PowerPC G5 @ 1.6GHz (the baseline processor for Geekbench).

Its like a mac from 2004.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/05/playstation-3-performance-may-2007/

N.A

Banned
Erasus said:
Yup, all you people how think the cell is a powerhouse is a bit wrong. Well it is very powerful if you use all the SPUs, but homebrew probably wont do that.

It's clear that the Cell processor isn't all that impressive as a general-purpose CPU; if it's not executing code designed to run on the Cell processor, it's generally slower than a PowerPC G5 @ 1.6GHz (the baseline processor for Geekbench).

Its like a mac from 2004.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/05/playstation-3-performance-may-2007/

Emulation of consoles up to and including the Dreamcast (except Saturn maybe) at full speed should still be possible.

Top Bottom