• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viacom to sell Harmonix. [Update 2: Activision: Oh gee oh boy we sure love Harmonix]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Activision to buy, creates tiered music game where you have to grind guitar solos to unlock band portion of the game, profit on souls?

Suzzopher said:
I am willing to bet Microsoft snap them up. Focus them on creating Kinect experiences.

Didn't Kotick say that he made a mistake by not buying them? This seems like a good time to make up for that mistake.

MMaRsu

Banned
Suzzopher said:
I am willing to bet Microsoft snap them up. Focus them on creating Kinect experiences.

Could be interesting.

SolidSnakex said:
Didn't Kotick say that he made a mistake by not buying them? This seems like a good time to make up for that mistake.

Let's hope they don't buy them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guess the gh/rb-genre had piqued afterall ey? Now owners are trying to abandon ship

GhaleonQ

In the sense that I don't like seeing any development team fail: *sniff*
In the sense that I actively dislike Rock Band and Harmonix: *laughs*

I do hope they recover, though.

SolidSnakex said:

He isn't going to buy a company who's main specialization is a genre which is basically milked dry.

I can see EA picking them up... they already partner with them for shipping, so could sort something out..

Would be fun if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft got them though :D

Suzzopher

SolidSnakex said:

After the dismal performances of both RB3 and the latest Guitar Hero, I don't think Activision will be too interested in going down that route for a while.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ZeniMax should buy it.

I mean they buy everyone.

Lagspike_exe said:
He isn't going to buy a company who's main specialization is a genre which is basically milked dry.

This would kill off Rock Band and would leave Guitar Hero as the major player in that genre. He could just put them back on Guitar Hero and see what happens when it gets all the attention.

1-D_FTW

SolidSnakex said:

Except Activision has already murdered the genre. I guess if was cheap enough.

Although the above poster had it right. MS should just buy them and focus them on Kinect.

Sipowicz

Banned
it's not surprising. the plastic instrument genre is dead, and rock band was always second place anyway

dance central will sell like shit too. it's a year late just dance clone for a peripheral and it's on a platform that lacks the audience .

jax (old)

Banned
Suzzopher said:

Single platform won't be good for them. My guess ea. Activision already has music game makers

No dc sequel??

LCfiner

holy shit. this is bad. :(

the rise and fall of the music genre in so short a time reminds me of the money poured into internet start ups around 1999. "yeah, we'll sell dog food online. it'll make millions. maybe a separate portal for catfood"... and then how quickly the money dried up.

adelante

SolidSnakex said:
hh8cf.jpg

Grecco

I for one cannot wait to play Guitar Hero 7 made by the creators of the franchise HMX. Get it done Bobby! Get r done!

Shurs

The Faceless Master said:
i know Viacom wants to sell them, but what poor sucker would want to buy them?

I could see Costanza exploiting some system in order to acquire them.

Oxx

Suzzopher said:
After the dismal performances of both RB3 and the latest Guitar Hero, I don't think Activision will be too interested in going down that route for a while.

They can make COD map-packs.

Top Bottom