• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viacom to sell Harmonix. [Update 2: Activision: Oh gee oh boy we sure love Harmonix]

Raistlin

navanman said:
More than that, why would I or someone else keep buying DLC now if the product or platform is dead?

Need the see what Harmonix saw later today about all this..

Well, it's not like the RB3 will magically stop working.

However it would make me reconsider buying the Squier. Not enough content for it.

Ulairi

Banned
Harmonix is closing. They are going to try to sell it and get it off their books but no longer is Harmonix an asset that they expect to earn future cash flow from.

The music genre is a fad and unlike other fads the market after the fad ended isn't very big.

Grecco

navanman said:
More than that, why would I or someone else keep buying DLC now if the product or platform is dead?

Need the see what Harmonix saw later today about all this..

What else. I expect them to say everything is fine and dandy, do not worry, ect.

farnham

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Not hard to see this coming.

RB3 even made a ton of overtures toward profitability, but it's not enough if you can't get the game in enough hands.
its shocking how the best thing they could come up with to stop the fading interest was an even more expensive guitar and another peripheral to buy

its dissapointing to see that they couldnt take the path japanese company went after the Bemani genre was dead.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Sorry to the Harmonix people and the people that are into music games. Hopefully Harmonix can find their footing quickly.

Grecco said:
Music Games simply evolved into dancing games. Once that fad is over something else will come up too. Music Games will never die. They evolve.
This is a flagrant fucking lie until I get a Kinect-enabled Space Channel 5 Part 3, for the record. >:|

stupei

Not that Rock Band 3 isn't likely going to still be a bomb, but isn't it a little unfair to evaluate how the game did when the Pro Guitar isn't even out yet? I can't believe that the feature people were actually looking forward to in the new release was the keyboard...

Jexhius said:
There's nothing about the collapse of this market that's crazy or unexpected.

Bobby Kotick.

hopefully they've already found a buyer and are continuing to at least release DLC from this point forward. There is really is no need for another retail release now that RB3 is out.

Mindlog

Grecco said:
Music Games simply evolved into dancing games. Once that fad is over something else will come up too. Music Games will never die. They evolve.

Fitness focused rhythm games.

1 part Wii Fit.
1 part Audiosurf.
Dash of Harmonix Magic.

Stew

Microsoft should take a close look at Harmonix even if it means buying some assets they won't need.
Zenimax seems a sensible second suiter.

kadotsu

Banned
For my tastes, the best scenario would be a Take2 aquisition. The 2K Games label has been very good in pushing auteur game experiences and immaculately styled presentation. It would be a good fit for them. Worst case would be MS. They would push Dance Central. We would see DC2, DC Workout, DC3 and after the dance game "fad" passes Harmonix would be shut down.

The same thing could also happen with Take2 or they could be successful for years under MS but when I look at the past I see Irrational Games, Rockstar and Firaxis on Take2's side and Rare, Ensemble and Fasa on MGS's side.

-PXG-

Activision is going to buy them. Odd though, since EA publishes the games, they'd probably get first dibs right?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mad-Catz must be pissed off today with this announcement.

They spent all the cash and R&D budget developing the new instruments for Viacom (was costing them too much) and now have killed off probably any chance they had at selling the keyboard, mustang and many other accessories they brought out for RB3.

Grecco

Unless they buy them at a discount i dont see Microsoft buying HMX. Microsoft seems to be less interested in owning and more interested in alliances.

Activision makes the most sense. Their music games are still brining in a profit and they plan on making a Hero game next year.

-PXG- said:
Activision is going to buy them. Odd though, since EA publishes the games, they'd probably get first dibs right?
Distributes; they manufacture and put the game on store shelves and deal with technical support for the instruments. As such, their stake in the franchise is actually incredibly low.

MTV is the publisher.

stupei

drmcclin said:
Mustang says hi

Pretty sure that's still not supposed to release for another few days...

faridmon said:
I am sad for Harmoniix, but happy that the music gnere is dying.

I too laugh at the destruction of things that have no negative impact on me whatsoever. It's a good way to spend the work day.

drmcclin said:
Mustang says hi
I guess that's considered a pro guitar as well...

navanman said:
Mad-Catz must be pissed off today with this announcement.

They spent all the cash and R&D budget developing the new instruments for Viacom (was costing them too much) and now have killed off probably any chance they had at selling the keyboard, mustang and many other accessories they brought out for RB3.
They must have known the risks when they signed up for it. It's not like there was a positive trend for music games before RB3. Sure, RB3 is a great game, and the whole pro part is neat and good, but I can't believe that anyone expected it to be a massive sales hit again.

-PXG-

I AM JOHN! said:
Distributes; they manufacture and put the game on store shelves and deal with technical support for the instruments. As such, their stake in the franchise is actually incredibly low.

MTV is the publisher.

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, it would make sense for EA to pick them up. If not, Bobby K is gonna snatch them and run them into the ground.

LCfiner said:
holy shit. this is bad. :(

the rise and fall of the music genre in so short a time reminds me of the money poured into internet start ups around 1999. "yeah, we'll sell dog food online. it'll make millions. maybe a separate portal for catfood"... and then how quickly the money dried up.

It's just like the fighting genre only it happened far more rapidly with far less competition.

duckroll said:
This is as good a sign as any that the great boom of music games is over.

That great boom has been over for over a year now, possibly more. This is just further drilling the message into the publishers brains and now its finally reached its destination.

Ulairi

Banned
Harmonix is going to buy themselves. They will be a smaller and much more focused company on DD. I'm dreading listening to Weekend Confirmed and other podcasts when they talk about this. The severe lack of business knowledge (primarily accounting and finance) is sickening but we'll still get their "analysis". I wish games journalism was better because this story would make a good book.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
cjelly said:
So assuming VIACOM hold the licensing agreements to the music... RB DLC could be dead?
This is the important part. Who owns the rights to all the licensed on-disc songs and DLC?
If Viacom do, do they all lapse when Harmonix is sold off.

It could be a right mess.

onken

navanman said:
"Discontinued operation"...

That sounds like closure to me..

NO NO NO

Yeah :( Guess shipments for RB3 and DC were pretty poor. We know everything else they've done lately has pretty much bombed. Even a potential monster like Beatles RB didn't do anything spectacular.

Real shame, RB kicks the shit out of Guitar Hero, guess the instruments genre is pretty much finished ;/

faridmon

Interfectum said:
Why? You know you can just ignore those games right?
I wish, but they make me look poor :(
GH 1 was manageable to buy but Rock Band 3 is bloody expensive. If it weren't that expensive, I would embrace it with open arms. But I feel they make it more expensive because they can.

And I love RB Unplugged.
stupei said:
I too laugh at the destruction of things that have no negative impact on me whatsoever. It's a good way to spend the work day.
Well, if you are talking about negative impact: This bloody music Boom is what made Harmonix leave Frequency/amplitude type of games.

Rock Band Unplugged was awesome, but it wasn't enough.
Dunlop said:
this

Also the inevitable loss of jobs is fucking hilarious
I did say it is sad for Harmonix, people losing jobs is always too bad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
drmcclin said:
hopefully they've already found a buyer and are continuing to at least release DLC from this point forward. There is really is no need for another retail release now that RB3 is out.

plus they could probably make the core games distributable via PSN/marketplace as digital downloads, with only a few tracks, with the rest being existing/future DLC.

Might accelerate the move to a real platform model.

Grecco

butter_stick said:
Why would Kotick want to buy Harmonix when GH sales have gone down the shitter?

Unless he REALLY wants Dance Hero.

They are still gonna be making hero games next year.

Dunlop

stupei said:

this

Also the inevitable loss of jobs is fucking hilarious

Angelcurio

Gold Member
Thanks Kotick for killing a game genre.

I really hope they land on their feet and that Activision doesn't buy them.

drmcclin said:
best possible outcome, IMO. Just keep the DLC coming. Cheap and easy.

And barely profitable. If you're going to try and survive on selling downloadable songs for a game that's going to struggle to sell a million copies, you're completely fucked.

Angelcurio said:
Thanks Kotick for killing a game genre.

I really hope they land on their feet and that Activision doesn't buy them.

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with RB3's entire marketing being based around things casual consumers have no interest in, and everything to do with a few Guitar Hero games coming out and not selling very well, right?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My girlfriend is gonna be pissed. RB2's character creator was pretty much a game unto itself for her.

Ulairi said:
Harmonix is going to buy themselves. They will be a smaller and much more focused company on DD. I'm dreading listening to Weekend Confirmed and other podcasts when they talk about this. The severe lack of business knowledge (primarily accounting and finance) is sickening but we'll still get their "analysis". I wish games journalism was better because this story would make a good book.

This actually makes the most sense. With Rock Band 3 out, they really don't need to push a new Rock Band game to the market any time soon. They can (and likely will) reduce their staff size, keeping a small team dedicated to DLC and another team working on Dance Central 2 (which will use the same technology as DC, obviously, but will just have more features tacked on.)

Dave Long

Banned
I get the impression after seeing some dollar amounts thrown around that these folks never learned anything from the way Looking Glass Studios went down the toilet in similar fashion.

Ulairi said:

QFT

Harmonix is a very interesting company with different phases in its history that make it a very different company each year. I agree that Harmonix staff might buy the store, but its also possible to enter into an agreement with different companies for different lines.

Amplitude Online would end my life.

Raistlin

piratepwnsninja said:
This actually makes the most sense. With Rock Band 3 out, they really don't need to push a new Rock Band game to the market any time soon. They can (and likely will) reduce their staff size, keeping a small team dedicated to DLC and another team working on Dance Central 2 (which will use the same technology as DC, obviously, but will just have more features tacked on.)

I'd be quite happy with this.

Basically do some bug fixes and update a few features to RB3 like they have in the past ... and just leave it as the final platform (at least this gen). Then move onto DLC only.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
onken said:
Yeah :( Guess shipments for RB3 and DC were pretty poor. We know everything else they've done lately has pretty much bombed. Even a potential monster like Beatles RB didn't do anything spectacular.

Real shame, RB kicks the shit out of Guitar Hero, guess the instruments genre is pretty much finished ;/

Beatles RB is what started this whole mess.

Most of the really big fans aren't gamers+ Beatles notoriously high licensing fees+wall to wall advertisements+genre fatigue=a recipe for losing money quickly.

It's no coincidence that I saw the expensive instrument packs for 360 and Wii around $20 earlier this year.

Top Bottom