• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Playstation Network Is Unprofitable

Snuggler said:
Didn't it run through the internet browser or something? I was a couple years late so I never got to see PSN store in it's infancy.

I still remember it. It was literally just a crap website you had to open with the ps3 browser. You could barely see anything and it was slow as shit. Making it a native app was a HUGE upgrade.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Durante said:
Steam make 30% off every game sale and don't run a unified online service. They only pay for game download bandwidth and none of the other costs Live/PSN have to put up with.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
[Nintex] said:
Xbox Live isn't the only online service making money, Steam is free and a profitable venture. Sony is doing something wrong somewhere, they need to get Gabe on the phone.

Apples. Oranges.

You can buy full games off PSN but that's not the focus. That IS the focus for Steam. PSN can't emulate the Steam model until terabyte drives start being included in consoles.

entremet

Durante said:
Steam sells full retail titles, compared to the small percentage of full retail PS3 titles. While I love the unique PSN games, I'm sure their margins aren't that high.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
UntoldDreams said:
Umm... Hold the horses this is inaccurate.
http://jp.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idJPnTK049554820101222

The actual Japanese article indicates the online service structure including their music play for QRIOCITY as well as E-Book and no doubt anything digital was not making money YET. That includes the video store.

They use the term PSN as the amalgram of their entire online digital play. That as an aggregate cost assessment and has not yet yielded profit due to the simple fact that its still being built.

This is NOT a quote from Kaz Hirai saying PSN games are not profitable. That's completely out of context for the article.
Hmmm...

Mr_Brit said:
Of course PSN games are profitable, noone was claiming that they weren't. PSN as a whole is losing Sony money is what the article is saying.

I can read Japanese you know. Are you really telling me what the article which I read is saying?

I'm clarifying for your benefit. You can refuse to thank me its ok.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sipowicz said:
truth

PSP online is an abomination. easily the worst online service i've ever used

That's because it's based on the PS2's online structure, which was fucking terrible and right before XBL on the OG X-box blew them out of the water.

PS3 online is much better, but not quite there yet. Next generation they may be on par or slightly below XBL.

offshore

Bet Sony regret saying stupid things like free multiplayer is a first amendment right of whatever stupid thing they said.

They should have bit the bullet and started charging for online ages ago. People will pay. They pay for Live. They'll pay for PSN.
CrunchyFrog said:
I think more people would pay for PSN+ if they had more compelling practical uses for it. When you have to use bullshit like "background downloading and updating of firmware and patches" as a paid feature of your service, then you've got problems.
Yeah, Sony haven't got a clue. As a PS3 owner though it's great to see Sony laden PS Plus with unessential features so as I don't have to pay anything.

Great job, Sony :D

Wazzim

Banned
Kaako said:
And I can do the same thing with PSN...what is your point?
I also don't have to pay for p2p online play.
Don't kid yourself, Live is constructed as one online system, nice and smooth. PSN is alot of ideas thrown together into a pseudo website.
I don't play on live anymore because of the fee but hell I miss it when using PSN.

jlevel13

Mr_Brit said:
If they don't start charging a reasonable $30> subscription fee next gen then they'll never become profitable.

Did you read your own OP? Quote, "However, he expects the PSN to start making money in the following fiscal year. According to the report, PSN sales nearly doubled in the closing fiscal year, reaching 36 billion yen. Looking forward three years, Hirai expects revenue to increase nearly tenfold, to 300 billion yen."

that sounds like profitable to me (w/o charging a fee)

Salsa

Mr_Brit said:
This has nothing to do with Xbox Live, Sony have proven that you can't make money running a major unified online service without some sort of charge if you want to stay profitable.

Xbox live is what proved that a paid online service is what you need to make an extra profit.

I mean dont get me wrong, im all for companies making some more money to invest in more and better games or whatever, but playing online is by now a necessity, not a luxury.

Mr_Brit

Banned
People need to stop quoting Steam. Steam's only major source of bandwidth is game downloads of which they make a 30% profit per game sold. Live/PSN run costs are a lot higher than Steam.

Durante

Mr_Brit said:
Steam make 30% off every game sale and don't run a unified online service. They only pay for game download bandwidth and none of the other costs Live/PSN have to put up with.
What does this mean? I can't think of a feature PSN has that Steam lacks. A few the other way around though.

Snuggler said:
Didn't it run through the internet browser or something? I was a couple years late so I never got to see PSN store in it's infancy.

it was horrendous.

you seriously didn;t miss anything

what are they including in this? the cost of developing psn content? overheads?
#
sounds like something's wrong if they aren't making a profit from the publisher royalties?

how can they be taking 36billion yen and making a loss on it?

does valve charge for steam.... no... and yet they make a mint.... so somethings wrong with the business model here

FLEABttn

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Can anyone afford to run a major(aka millions of users) unified online system without some sort of service charge?

Steam. GFWL? (chuckle)

Steam doesn't count as they aren't fully unified and make money from the game sales.

I'm not sure how Steam is less unified than PSN, at all. It seems to do everything that PSN does, and then some (cross game chat). I also wasn't aware that Sony doesn't make money from game sales.

If Sony goes pay to play next gen, what's to stop me from getting the next Xbox over a PS4? You can't count purely on your exclusives.

They only pay for game download bandwidth and none of the other costs Live/PSN have to put up with.

What costs?

Majine

Banned
It's impossible for them to start charging for online play at this point. It would cut the userbase in half, I'd guess.

yurinka

Majine said:
Every person who's ever logged into Home aren't spending money, and I wouldn't consider them "users".
I can't remember where it was posted (I think it was in a E3 conf), but at least once they revealed the number of items sold, percentage of active users and average time of each play session. And they were great numbers.

I work in successful games with the same business model (free+microtransactions). Most of the people doesn't pay, but a small portion do. And if you have several millions of users, a tiny portion of them (called 'whales') will spend some hundreds or thousands dollars in your game.

The context of the article is stating that due to all the expansion they have put into PSN including their Video, Music, Games, E-book... They have yet to be profitable.

Anything else being said is not relevant to the original article and statement by Kaz.

You want to POO-POO on something at least make sure the original article is understood.

Razorskin

----- ------
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Do you remember when we didn't have background downloading? God, those were the days.

The horror, but at the time I only remember letting it download demos.

Snuggler said:

Yeah it ran through the browser, used the mouse to select stuff, awful navigation and loading.

test_account

XP-39C²
I doubt that Sony will start to charge for online play on the PS3, but i am pretty sure that they will do it on PS4. Doesnt really matter much to me though, it will probably only be like $50 a year or so.

Sydle

I think they can avoid having to require pay for play. They just need a better retail experience that drives download purchases.

The PSN store needs a facelift and better navigation, and it wouldn't hurt to use more of the XMB as a retail windows. It would also help if they started churning out more downloadable exclusives that drive people to the store and more regular promotions (like Summer of Arcade).

If they're going to start turning a profit by March without charging for online play, why start charging for online play.

Just keep improving PS Plus. I get the feeling that is the service that has pushed them towards the edge.

I've been very pleased my subscription as of late, between the KZ3/LBP2 betas, the MAG game trial, and Sony extending PS Plus discounts to PSP titles, and if they keep adding more content and more features, I'm sure more people would opt in.

Cloud storage is one feature I'm sure people would pay for, for example.

There's ways of doing this without charging for online play and other basic features. They shouldn't restrict certain gameplay features behind a subscription fee.

Mr_Brit said:
Steam doesn't count as they aren't fully unified and make money from the game sales.
And Sony/MS/Nintendo make money on every game sold for their platform as well, even though they're not all sold directly via the network.

Of course, earlier in the generation those profits would go towards subsidizing losses on hardware, but at this point all three consoles are sold at a profit.

Dabanton

test_account said:
I doubt that Sony will start to charge for online play on the PS3, but i am pretty sure that they will do it on PS4. Doesnt really matter much to me though, it will probably only be like $50 a year or so.
Oh no doubt about that when the PS4 rolls around it will have a fee to play online.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Online play is one of PSN's no. 1 selling points, and I honestly don't think they could get away with charging for online in the same way as XBL does. I love my Playstation but the large majority of the gaming I do on it is single player, and since I hate the awful, anti-consumer practice of locking out features for profit, I would not support it.

on a serious note, the future of video games will become increasingly dependent on services. not only as a means to differentiate one another from the competition, but also as a means of expanding the global audience.

so yes, be fully prepared to pay for online next gen with ps4. and honestly, i hope sony pays an outside firm to develop their front-end because they have proven they are lost when it comes to user interface. if you only own a ps3, you have no idea what i'm referring to, regardless of how intuitive you think the psn storefront and xmb may appear. it's a downright mess.

Salsa

Snuggler said:
Online play is one of PSN's no. 1 selling points

How is it a selling point if its free ? derp

If you mean the console itself.. i dont know man, dont really think so.

xbhaskarx

If PSN is losing money, that explains why angry internet forum gamers, who look at every cent they spend on their hobby as a crime committed against them by an evil corporation, love it so much,

[Nintex] said:
Xbox Live isn't the only online service making money, Steam is free and a profitable venture. Sony is doing something wrong somewhere

Correct, this is more a commentary on Sony's business incompetence than anything else.

Suzzopher

SalsaShark said:

Yeah, I don't think online play comes into the equation when someone buys a PS3. Sure it's a nice bonus for free online play, but it is by no means a selling point.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:

I do.

When comparing the pros and cons between buying one of the two HD consoles, free online play is often one of the pro's for the PS3. I guess it depends on what that person values, but I've seen it come up a lot. It's not a major stretch to say that's an important thing to some people.

derp

Durante

Barkley's Justice said:
so yes, be fully prepared to pay for online next gen with ps4. and honestly, i hope sony pays an outside firm to develop their front-end because they have proven they are lost when it comes to user interface. if you only own a ps3, you have no idea what i'm referring to, regardless of how intuitive you think the psn storefront and xmb may appear. it's a downright mess.
I own every system known to man (well, not quite, but all that are relevant to the discussion), and the XMB is my favourite controller-based interface, both aesthetically and functionally. The PSN store? Not so much.

demigod

MarshMellow96 said:
Buy a PSP and find out why they're not making as much money.

PSP Go bomba + paying more for digital distribution :lol . I have a Go, no way am I paying more for DD then UMD, eff you Sony!!!

I'm out of here but I did provide you guys (I'm looking at you OP) fair warning that what the original Japanese article is talking about is that the Sony Online Infrastructure is costing a lot of money to phase into existence (music, video, games, ebooks) and that keeps them in the red. Its not specific to PSN gaming or dedicated servers or fighting with LIVE or anything like that.

The article also says they have an 11 year road map to their (world domination) profitable digital future (Sony Online Network). Every stage of their business plan starts in the RED INK due to spin up costs and you can imagine how much it will cost for them to fight it out with iTunes and other digital companies.

Have fun chaps!

Prisen

I feel like there must be something OP has misunderstood. Exactly what is this unification/integration? You realize they don't supply dedicated servers for all multiplayer games right?

Durante said:
I own every system known to man (well, not quite, but all that are relevant to the discussion), and the XMB is my favourite controller-based interface, both aesthetically and functionally. The PSN store? Not so much.

no doubt. everyone has their preference. but hand the xmb over to your wife or mother. oooooh shit. thats the kinda stuff that won't fly in the next generation. especially with competitors like apple and nintendo.

Omiee

Mr_Brit said:
Totally anecdotal but I can't imagine Sony getting more than 2 million total PS+ subscribers this generation, they need to tie something more intriguing into the service.
i think its way more than 2 million right now, i mean do u know how many people have plus now.
also its a shame they are losing money on psn, but i think they make up for it with their software and the ps3 is making them money now.
also move has to be pure profit for them.

Barkley's Justice said:
no doubt. everyone has their preference. but hand the xmb over to your wife or mother. oooooh shit. thats the kinda stuff that won't fly in the next generation. especially with competitors like apple and nintendo.

even my grandfather understands the xmb, if he wants pictures he goes to pictures or videos or browser under network etc.
its realy easy.

Slavik81

Suzzopher said:
Yeah, I don't think online play comes into the equation when someone buys a PS3. Sure it's a nice bonus for free online play, but it is by no means a selling point.
You'd be wrong, then. I bought my PS3 specifically because it had free online play.

Omiee

i still cant see how they are not making money, they are selling software on it and psn plus has to be a good deal for them and home has ike 17 million users by now.
i find it weird.

Wazzim

Banned
Durante said:
XMB works on the psp, ps3? Not so much with the constant fucking loading of icons. The speed of the interface is just not relevant with the slow loading.

Haunted

Kaako said:
They better not mess with free to play online.
They probably won't for the PS3, but I'd wager they'll implement it for the next console. You can't just stand by and watch the competition be successful with certain tactics and not copy them. *coughmotioncontrolscough*

It's really tough to explain to shareholders.

The moment they charge for online gaming is when I sell my PS3 (or don't buy a PS4). I really don't give a shit if they charge for voice chat or some other stuff.

Mr_Brit said:

Where did you pull that number from?

I sure as hope you're not gonna say Pacther

Also :lol at "steam doesn't count".

Salsa

I just cant believe how many people pay to play online, its mindblowing for me.

I mean its not the price, i guess it's cheap enough. Its just a matter of principle. Given how much money theyve made i guess it's safe to say that the service will never be free now. Cant wait for console MMOs with subscriptions in wich you have to pay for the game + xbla gold + monthly subscription fee.

Seriously its fuckin ridiculous :lol

Good luck with that, i'll keep playing for free on my PC dedicated servers, and its not a PC master race thing, its just the way it should be if someone truly cared about what people gets for their money.

Realistically, 'unprofitable' could mean a lot of things - they all boil down to lost money, but the significance of the loss is relative. If they were losing millions every year, that's a major concern and endangers the PSN Free to play hook no matter how you look at it. If it's more "yeah it's unprofitable, we barely break even" or "we lose a few thousand every year minus infrastructure & R&D costs"... then it hardly seems significant outside of the fact that they will try harder to get cash out of its users, which they have been doing anyway.

That being said, they're in a tough position. They're running an unprofitable service that 'can' do a lot of what XBL can do, while Microsoft is making piles of cash. They can't start charging and hope the large userbase will start paying up - because free to play online was a massive selling point all along. And optional payment (PSN+) has little hope in the long-term as it's hard to show people the value - even more so because Microsoft made XBL such an awesome, steamlined service that makes playing games on it that much better (cross game chat, *drool*) - where PSN might tick most of the same boxes, but doesn't seem as friendly to use or as in your face with getting you to participate.

UntoldDreams said:
I'm out of here but I did provide you guys (I'm looking at you OP) fair warning that what the original Japanese article is talking about is that the Sony Online Infrastructure is costing a lot of money to phase into existence (music, video, games, ebooks) and that keeps them in the red. Its not specific to PSN gaming or dedicated servers or fighting with LIVE or anything like that.

The article also says they have an 11 year road map to their (world domination) profitable digital future (Sony Online Network). Every stage of their business plan starts in the RED INK due to spin up costs and you can imagine how much it will cost for them to fight it out with iTunes and other digital companies.

Have fun chaps!

Thanks for the translation. That puts things into perspective and sounds much better and make much more sense than Joystiq's article, though that shouldn't be surprising (Reuters, Joystiq)

makingmusic476 said:
Cloud storage is one feature I'm sure people would pay for, for example.

That would push me to get it, depending on the "size cap" of the Cloud storage that I'd be allowed to have. I've wanted this for awhile, so hopefully they'll make it happen.

Metalmurphy said:
Where did you pull that number from?

I sure as hope you're not gonna say Pacther

Also :lol at "steam doesn't count".

I think that 30% is kind of a standard rule of thumb for DD services, we know Apple makes 30% off stuff sold on the app store and Sony Ericsson gets the same off their Play Arena app store. If I had to guess, I'd say that Sony, MS, Nintendo and Valve makes about the same on PSN, Live, WW, Steam respectively. Of course there are exceptions, such as individual deals, I would also guess that MS makes less off initial sales from COD DLCs, etc.

ShogunX

1up article seems to have a little more info and has the current number of PSN users at 60 million.

1up said:
According to the report, PSN sales during the 2009 fiscal year added up to 36 billion yen (approx. $434.3 million USD). That number "nearly doubled" in 2010. However, Hirai said "we're aiming to enter the black during the 2011 fiscal year." Furthermore, he projected that PSN sales would reach 300 billion yen ($3.6 billion) in the 2012 fiscal year. He cited the number of registered PSN accounts (60 million as of November) as evidence of the service's growth

Surprising to be honest that the PSN is losing money at this late stage. Surely if Sony matched features with Live and then offered a few extra bits of fluff they could charge for the service?

Top Bottom