• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider - E3 2011 CG Trailer

Yoshiya

Scullibundo said:
That was like every cliche narrative line rolled into one trailer. Its a shame there aren't many good writers out there doing work on these games.
I'm just happy there weren't any truly horrifying lines to ruin the whole thing, a la Deus Ex's "I'll drag you to hell!" I can deal with mild clichés, but not that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
TR is my favorite gaming franchise.

Loved the trailer, but I thought this was coming out Fall/Winter this year.

Fall 2012???????? So far away :(

Ponti

Am hype.

Wasn't expecting Shakespearean-esque story telling from a pre-E3 hype trailer so I enjoyed it. Voice acting was alright, far from bad.

Amir0x said:
I really like Tomb Raider and I hope this doesn't mean the end for traditional TR games. There's only one series like it right now, and that's Tomb Raider. For whatever this game turns out, it's going to be immensely disappointing if they killed the classic formula for this. It looks and feels nothing like TR in any way, on top of pointlessly bloodying it up as if that's the reason for the series popularity downfall. No, Eidos, you needed to fix your damn camera and focus on hardcore level design that encourages difficult free form platforming and puzzle design, that's all.

As of now, due to Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light I will be giving this game a chance, but I am disheartened by it. It's one of those times when it's so against the grain of the franchise that they really should have started a new franchise since if this is successful it would essentially mean killing classic Croft, which is unacceptable.

The original formula is a nigh impossible to repeat in "next gen" terms. Counting tiles before jumping is a thing of the past. Turning 45° after jumping, having to wait the very last second to find out if a jump is possible or not... I don't know, don't see it happening.

They could tone down the automated platforming that has invaded modern 3D games. Like, make the platforming revolve around adjudicating distances and precision, and if that feel too "hardcore", implement "safety net measures" to make sure the game doesn't become frustrating for casuals.

Something like Arkham Asylum's bat-hook mechanic. If the player misjudges the jump, you have a number of charges of some "hook" device to save you, so you don't have to start anew. However, for example, the hook can also be used to make normally impossible jumps, and you need all charges to get all secrets on all levels. So even scrubs can finish the game, but to see everything you need to play it as it's meant to be played.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
great trailer.. totally fine with the star being laura croft... but tentatively I'm going to say they should really have dropped the tomb raider name. or at least massively deemphasize it before release... unless all of this has been misleading and you are actually... you know... raiding tombs.

but again, the trailer really worked and has me extremely excited for the game.

The CG was great, as per usual, but I kinda half-expected Laura to wield a gunsword or machinegundagger or something. Ha ha. Either way, this game has me hyped for the game.

One of the best cgi trailers ever, definitely the best and most exciting one this gen.

What's up with the voice actress though, couldn't they find the old lara ? I know this one from somewhere she sounds familiar, obnoxiously overdone accent inclusive.

Has there been a drink your own piss joke yet?

Also jesus christ @ the lighting in that cgi, do want that kind of quality in games in like another 5 years!.

Can someone make an HD gif about the bit where she' thinks she'll drown and right before she jumps off the boat (with the awesome lightning strike lighting up the interior).

shuyin_

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah, I could've sworn this was on target for a Fall 2011 release.

Then they pushed it.

Now it's Fall 2012 :(

Feels bad man.
WrikaWrek said:
Fall 2012?

Whoa, Square Enix really is in charge...
It was announced as a 2012 title from the beginning.

StuBurns

Banned
Square Enix is the best thing that ever happened to Eidos, and Eidos is the best thing that ever happened to Square Enix.

The trailer was awesome, I can't wait to see the real game.

TheOddOne

DennisK4 said:
Are those beats by Dr. Dre earphones?

monster-beats-by-dr-dre-tour-in-ear-headphones.jpg

LifEndz

Very impressive trailer. The little things like her listening to music and wincing in pain make her more believable. And I like that they made her physique a little more realistic than the old TR. For the first time in a long time I'm interested in a TR game, but I gotta see some in-game footage before I commit to purchase.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks good. But further cements the idea that I won't like playing the game. Watching her get her legs crushed by boulders if I fail? Not pleasant.

borghe said:
great trailer.. totally fine with the star being laura croft... but tentatively I'm going to say they should really have dropped the tomb raider name. or at least massively deemphasize it before release... unless all of this has been misleading and you are actually... you know... raiding tombs.

but again, the trailer really worked and has me extremely excited for the game.
Hellooooo... Its Square Enix. When did titles ever made sense?

X-Frame

VA sounds hot and this origin looks like it'll be cool but Fall 2012?!

What's the point of even announcing the game this early let alone releasing trailers?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Until 2012 to make the best Tomb Raider game of all time? Deal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
X-Frame said:
VA sounds hot and this origin looks like it'll be cool but Fall 2012?!

What's the point of even announcing the game this early let alone releasing trailers?

Volition's inSANE is the worst offender; Del Toro's game was announced and teased at last year's Spike VGAs, and it's not due out until some time in 2013. I wouldn't be all too surprised if the game skipped the PS360.

LifEndz

There's a part in the trailer where she's about to drown and then someone opens a hatch and pulls her out of the water. Did they show who that person was?

StuBurns

Banned
JaseC said:
Volition's inSANE is the worst offender; Del Toro's game was announced and teased at last year's Spike VGAs, and it's not due out until some time in 2013. I wouldn't be all too surprised if the game skipped the PS360.
FF Versus XIII, announced June 2006, last we heard "forgot about it for a while".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
FF Versus XIII, announced June 2006, last we heard "forgot about it for a while".

Soon-to-be-cancelled games don't count. :p

I forgot about it.

LifEndz said:
There's a part in the trailer where she's about to drown and then someone opens a hatch and pulls her out of the water. Did they show who that person was?

Jesus.

nib95

Banned
Cool trailer, but I HATE her voice lol. Sounds like a nasally, smoked too much weed, slightly ditzy English totz. Worst sounding Lara yet imo.

I though the Blur-made trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic were the best game trailers I've ever seen, but this again tops those. Almost made me cry, for some reason.
And I absolutely love Lara's voice actor in this. What is there to complain about?

phillax

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
I though the Blur-made trailers for Star Wars: The Old Republic were the best game trailers I've ever seen, but this again tops those. Almost made me cry, for some reason.
And I absolutely love Lara's voice actor in this. What is there to complain about?

People always find something to complain about.

Lime

StuBurns said:
Square Enix is the best thing that ever happened to Eidos, and Eidos is the best thing that ever happened to Square Enix.

The trailer was awesome, I can't wait to see the real game.

So, Eidos makes games, SquareEnix makes CGI trailers? I would think the latter would be superfluous.

LifEndz said:

It's implied that it's the bearded, white-haired guy, who also catches her after her jump.

phillax

Banned
Lime said:
So, Eidos makes games, SquareEnix makes CGI trailers? I would think the latter would be superfluous.

It's implied that it's the bearded, white-haired guy, who also catches her after her jump.

He did not catch her.

I know some people have issues with all CG trailers depicting no gameplay, but when a game is this far out (1+ years) I'm absolutely fine with getting trailers like this that just set up tone and story. Especially when they look this gorgeous. Loving the new Lara.

Does this mean the sinking boat will not be playable? I wouldn't mind it being the intro to the gameplay and getting to experience all the destruction around you in real time.

UrbanRats

Lime said:
Money aren't though.
S-E is putting budget on the table and it shows.
Does this mean the sinking boat will not be playable? I wouldn't mind it being the intro to the gameplay and getting to experience all the destruction around you in real time.
This is just a trailer, not the actual game's intro, imo.
From the Game Informer demo, you started trapped in a cave.

StuBurns

Banned
Lime said:
SE are rich, they let their developers spend obscene amounts of time on their games, that and pretty trailers are more than enough of a contribution.

I haven't heard Lara's voice, I watched on mute as I typically do with trailers. I shall have to watch it again.

EDIT: I like her voice, she sounds like Laura Marling.

UrbanRats said:
This is just a trailer, not the actual game's intro, imo.
From the Game Informer demo, you started trapped in a cave.
Oh, I see, thanks. For some reason I thought this trailer would also serve as the intro for the game (without the voice over, unless it was presented as a flashback).

Top Bottom