• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

No.

"EWWW rue is black?? I'm not watching" = racist
"nah, i just pictured darker skin. didn't take it all the way to black" = not racist

Maybe 2 or 3 weren't but at the end of the day this is not the impression you really want to make of yourself to your peers.

bengraven

There are 10 tweets in the picture in the OP. I count 4 of them are not being racist so much as surprise or just having a different opinion the the casting. specifically

"after watching the hunger games preview 6 times in a row i realized Rue is black. whaaaaat? #shocked"

"to all my hunger games readers out there: did anyone picture rue as being black? No offense but i just didnt see her like that"

"i imagined her white"

"nah i pictured darker skin, didnt really take it all the way to black"

so we have 40% of the tweets used in the OP right there. There is nothing overtly racist about any of those posts. NOTHING.

First tweet: Woman is shocked. Not racists
Second tweet: It is her imagination. Who are you to tell anyone how they are to imagine something?
Third tweet: Same as the second
Fourth tweet: same as the second and third

Let us use God as an example. To some it is a he. To some it is a she. To some it is a flying spaghetti monster. God has been played by so many different actors and creatures (thank you South Park) that no one depiction will satisfy everyone's imagined view of God. So how is a few people saying "hey that isnt what i imagined" even remotely racist?

You didn't see this one?

http://i.imgur.com/tmO0N.jpg

The Lamp

all the ones pictured sound pretty racist to me.

"After watching the Hunger Games preview 6 times in a row, I realized Rue is black. whaaaaat?!" isn't racism, it's surprise.

The others are pretty racist or derogatory.

this is what passes for writing these days?

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's like when she described being "blown to bits" in the first few pages of the book. I'm like...really? You're reaching for that cliche'?

She's lucky her story is engrossing and interesting because her writing technique and prose is pretty mediocre.

ivysaur12

Banned
enhanced-buzz-25512-1332778680-9.jpg

I should read the books, that adds another dimension to that...

I know some South Indians that fit the very definition of dark brown skin. No way would I think a white person with a tan could mean that. lol

alphaNoid

Banned
I would say Rue has light brown skin.

amandla_stenberg-315x472.jpg

Well to be honest, there is LOTS of front lighting in that professional headshot. Probably at least 2 softboxes, reflectors and the like to lighten up the skin. Very common.

But you are right, she is lighter in nature. I don't get what all the fuss is about really.

Lol at thinking some of those tweets are racist when they are clearly not. Racism is becoming another word so overused and thrown out that it has lost meaning, similar to the racist terms people overuse. Im a black male and Ive seen the n-word used so commonly that it hardly offends. Heck im more offended by people getting offended by the word as it seems just as discriminating as the people using the word.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
A couple of those tweets are genuinely surprised people.
I was surprised despite reading the book. I either forgot or never picked up on the fact that Rue was black, but I did remember the other guy that spares Katniss was black, Cinna too... although it appears Cinna's skin color was never discussed, but I always imagined he was black. I read the books after the movie was announced so maybe I subconsciously put Lenny Kravitz in that role.

mantidor

Dark Brown Skin.

Also the girl you posted isn't white, she's from Chile.

There are white people in Chile you know... actually is probably a sizable amount of people.

Yet another thread to point out when people say, "no, race in America is treated the same as everywhere else".

Wait, how'd you get the book on iBooks?

Wasn't available the last time I checked..

Probably removed the DRM from (purchased from Kindle store) and then converted it into an ePub before importing it into iTunes. It's a prevalent practice as people often want to read their eBooks on different devices.

bengraven

I guess in fairness maybe she never straight out says 'THIS PERSON IS OF AFRICAN DESCENT" and people assume they just have really good tans and brown eyes and dark hair...like Jennifer Connelly with some sun.

But let's be honest here, they hate her because she has African features, not her hair or skin color.

How many times has a black character turned into a white character? There is no comparison. Mena Suvari even did an entire movie that was based on the true events of a black woman!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_(2007_film)

Then there's 21.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This reminds me of the similar outrage when J.K. Rowling revealed the minor Slytherin Blaise Gabbini character to be black, apparently upsetting a lot of fans who had imagined him to be a white, female love interest for Draco.

Lol at thinking some of those tweets are racist when they are clearly not. Racism is becoming another word so overused and thrown out that it has lost meaning, similar to the racist terms people overuse. Im a black male and Ive seen the n-word used so commonly that it hardly offends. Heck im more offended by people getting offended by the word as it seems just as discriminating as the people using the word.

My bar for offensive language is really high, and these tweets totally show racism.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
And dark brown can mean a tanned white person. I could bring out a color palette and everything if you want, but tan is closer to brown than it is orange. You know it. I know it. Anyone who isnt color blind knows it. I was using hyperbole in the case of Snookie because technically she has "dark brown skin" in that picture. It is all a matter of perception. Her skin is darker than mine, than that of Lily Cole, and darker than that of plenty of people. Given the bookes description of Rue being "Dark brown and "dark skin" there are a myriad of ways that can be interpretted given the diverse colors of the human race. Hell you could even say it is an Indian person if you want to go with technicalities on color.

No one is arguing that there aren't other complexions that fit the term "dark"--we're arguing that when someone is described as "dark brown skin", no one should be surprised when the resulting person has... dark brown skin.

You must be deliberately ignoring this, because this is not the first time this has been pointed out in the thread. Your defensive posturing about Snooki is absurd.

This isn't a reality where a character described as having dark brown skin was cast with an actress of Snooki's complexion and people here were arguing that casting as not acceptable because she's not black.

This is a reality where a character described as having dark brown skin was cast black and people elsewhere were arguing that casting is surprising or unacceptable (depending on the tweet in question).

Note that this point isn't about whether each of the tweets involved is racist, but rather about your weird Snooki derail.

As for the implications of "dark brown"... It goes back to the beginning. If you think that everyone who made those tweets is a racist then you are as dumb/ignorant as they are.

Your last post said you were playing devil's advocate, but here you're not playing devil's advocate, you're saying that everyone involved is exactly equally dumb. That's not devil's advocate. Devil's advocate is when you adopt a position you don't believe in simply so that it is represented in the discussion and to test the position you do believe in. So you're not playing devil's advocate.

Now, dealing with this argument as though it were sincere; You're saying it's equally dumb to draw a pattern of racial thought in those tweets--noting that both the Gizmodo article and the original blog begin to sketch out the case for passive racism, although the argument is pretty unrefined and weak--and as it is to be surprised or in most cases disappointed that a black role is cast black?

i may as well have some fun pointing out that there are always two sides to every story.

I believe that this falls under "purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion".

Let us use God as an example. To some it is a he. To some it is a she. To some it is a flying spaghetti monster. God has been played by so many different actors and creatures (thank you South Park) that no one depiction will satisfy everyone's imagined view of God. So how is a few people saying "hey that isnt what i imagined" even remotely racist?

Is this a strong analogy?

This is like Thor all over again.Minorities are barely represented as it is and they whine because a character isn't white!

I can accept complaints about Thor (and Daredevil). But when the source material says the character is black, fair game.

Then again, I don't particularly care that Will Smith is in the lead role for I Am Legend, but I guess it's because I've never read/cared about the book.

McLovin

Wow, thats just insane that people who know how to use a computer can think like that. And that girl was insanely cute, I was so sad
when she died
:(
I guess this kind of reminds of of The last Airbender and how Aang wasn't an asian kid. Its just a movie, besides it sucked anyway lol.

jorma

is now taking requests
From those descriptions i would probably have imagined "south american brown/olive" rather "than african black". But i'm not fussy about a movie adaptation casting different persons from what i had imagined reading the book.

It must be really hard watching movie adaptations for people who care that much about their imagination diverging from the vision of the director/casting crew :p

this is what passes for writing these days?

get the fuck out and read the whole book instead of judging it on 2 lines of text. (for what it's worth, I never heard of Hunger Games before the movie, so forgive me if the book is actually terrible. I just don't see how you could possibly know from the small sample size.)

McLovin

I didn't read the books either, but the movie was very predictable once you get halfway through you pretty much know how its going to end. It was still enjoyable.
Now what could *possibly* be behind that spoiler text?
lol I didn't read up to that point in the thread.

akira28

If you know anything about the point of the Hunger Games themselves, then you know that the Titanic sinks ya'll. It's kind of the point.

GamerSoul

I don't read books. My gf does and she's already on the third one in this series. She says it gets better so I'll just have to wait til the other movies come out to make sure.

JGS

Banned
From those descriptions i would probably have imagined "south american brown/olive" rather "than african black". But i'm not fussy about a movie adaptation casting different persons from what i had imagined reading the book.

It must be really hard watching movie adaptations for people who care that much about their imagination diverging from the vision of the director/casting crew :p
Well, context is important too. Panem is N. America (Or at least a large section of it) & District 11 is where cotton & food is grown and two of its residents are darker than what Katniss is used to seeing and both are in the games. This is all from the first book.

Now by the time you get to the second book, there should be no doubt that black people reside in greater numbers in District 11 unless you willfully ignore it or don't really know how to read. In fact, I was wondering if the Capital segregates even though the Capital itself seems to be multicultural.

2th

Banned
No one is arguing that there aren't other complexions that fit the term "dark"--we're arguing that when someone is described as "dark brown skin", no one should be surprised when the resulting person has... dark brown skin.

You must be deliberately ignoring this, because this is not the first time this has been pointed out in the thread. Your defensive posturing about Snooki is absurd.

This isn't a reality where a character described as having dark brown skin was cast with an actress of Snooki's complexion and people here were arguing that casting as not acceptable because she's not black.

This is a reality where a character described as having dark brown skin was cast black and people elsewhere were arguing that casting is surprising or unacceptable (depending on the tweet in question).

It is called hyperbole. Technically Snookie would fit the description of dark brown skin. Being surprised that dark brown skin = black isnt surprising or unacceptable. As i already said, no one here can tell another person how they imagine something. So if someone is surprised what can you do about it? Nothing. How you can find such a thing unacceptable is just dumbfounding too.

Now for the obvious racist tweets, that is unacceptable.

Your last post said you were playing devil's advocate, but here you're not playing devil's advocate, you're saying that everyone involved is exactly equally dumb. That's not devil's advocate. Devil's advocate is when you adopt a position you don't believe in simply so that it is represented in the discussion and to test the position you do believe in. So you're not playing devil's advocate.

Now, dealing with this argument as though it were sincere; You're saying it's equally dumb to draw a pattern of racial thought in those tweets--noting that both the Gizmodo article and the original blog begin to sketch out the case for passive racism, although the argument is pretty unrefined and weak--and as it is to be surprised or in most cases disappointed that a black role is cast black?

In threads such as these where everyone basically jumps on the "omg that is racist" or "omg that person is scum" bandwagon, to offer any other viewpoint is playing devils advocate.

straight from the wiki "It can also refer to someone who takes a stance that is seen as unpopular or unconventional, but is actually another way of arguing a much more conventional stance." So you can believe in something and still play devil's advocate. It isnt necessary to believe in the viewpoint, but you can believe it in. Basically you and I are using two different, yet equally acceptable, definitions of the phrase here.

What i am saying is that for people to think that all these tweets is racist, is just as stupid as the people who are actually racist. Not all the tweets are racist at all and to say otherwise is just looking to start something when there is no need.

Edit: I am using a bit of a blanket statement here but i hope the point gets across. I think the clearly racist tweets are disgusting but for people to be up in arms about someone being surprised is just dumb.

I believe that this falls under "purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion".
Not sure how you can call me disingenuous at all honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom