• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mindy Project - Season 1 |OT| Meet the new girl, Mindy (Now on Hulu!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
THE PILOT EPISODE IS ON HULU

http://www.hulu.com/watch/394815

o4Ni8.jpg

Logline: The series follows a single physician (played by Kaling) with a Bridget Jones-like persona as she tries to navigate her way through her personal and professional life.

Genre: Workplace/relationship comedy
Network: Fox
Production company: Universal TV, 3 Arts Entertainment (Parks & Recreation, Louie)
Premiere Date: September 25th, 2011
Timeslot: Tuesday at 9:30PM EST (post-New Girl)
Competition: Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (ABC), NCIS: LA (CBS), Emily Owens, M.D. (the CW), The New Normal (NBC)

Starring:

Mindy Kaling (The Office), Chris Messina (Damages), Ed Weeks, Anna Camp (The Help), Zoe Jarman (Huge), Stephen Tobolowsky (Momento), Amanda Setton (Gossip Girl), Ike Barinholtz (MADtv)

------------------

I thought that the upfront version of the pilot was pretty weak, but I haven't seen the new version (a lot was reshot). Most comedy pilots are pretty poor, but a strong writing staff plus a good premise and cast means that this could become a New Girl-like show that really breaks out. Anyway, here's the pilot!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I like New Girl a lot and I think Mindy is funny but this doesn't seem like something I'd like, seems like it's geared more towards women.

I always thought she was one of the weakest parts of The Office, but since I watch (and really like) New Girl I'll probably give this a shot since it's on after.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I might watch this. I think I'll wait until the season is half over though, just to make sure I'm not jumping into something shitty.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Good Premise and her character makes you want to keep watching. The Pilot is still weak but shows promisingf things. There is predictable stuff there but I can see something good coming out of this.

Great show, if you stopped watching early on because of the forced quirkiness you're missing out. Schmidt's one of the best characters on TV.

I only stuck around for Schmidt, and loved his cameo in Happy Endings, but the rest of the show just does nothing for me. I just don't laugh and still find the other characters either bland, predictable, or annoying.

I have other comedy shows to keep tabs on (It's Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Louie, Happy Endings), so that show fell by the wayside.

ivysaur12

Banned
I only stuck around for Schmidt, and loved his cameo in Happy Endings, but the rest of the show just does nothing for me. I just don't laugh and still find the other characters either bland, predictable, or annoying.

I have other comedy shows to keep tabs on (It's Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Louie, Happy Endings), so that show fell by the wayside.

No, I agree -- I think all four of those shows are considerably funnier than New Girl. But I do think New Girl is still a very well made show that has shown pretty strident improvements over its first season.

Tucah

you speak so well
Weak pilot but the cast is pretty great (especially the cameos from
Ed Helms and Bill Hader
). I could definitely see another New Girl situation but the pilot just wasn't very funny.

Finished the pilot - I love how Mindy is so concerned about dying alone even though two hot pieces of man are figuratively throwing themselves at her. Granted, they both seem like pricks but that's neither here nor there...

Anyways, the show is about what I expected in terms of comedy. I'll keep tuning in for a while!

jb1234

It was okay. Not especially funny. They definitely changed a lot from the script I read (and not always for the better).

JCX

The title is still kind of dumb, but I really like this episode. Will definitely watch this regularly.

ivysaur12

Banned
Pilot was better than I expected. Curious to see where it goes.

Just feature Stephen Tobolowsky in it more.

He was a recast, so I would expect the part would be augmented with him in it now.

It was okay. Not especially funny. They definitely changed a lot from the script I read (and not always for the better).

Every comedy pilot ever changes significantly from the studio/network draft.

Chris Messina really impressed me in Damages and was good in Newsroom, honestly would rather see him in more dramas than a sitcom. His choice I guess.

Hmmm, initially I'm like "Pass!" on this, didn't look interesting was gonna skip it but maybe we'll give it a watch and see.

New Girl ended up both mine and my GFs fav show of last season so I guess sometimes giving things a chance is worth it.

TripOpt55

Just watched the pilot. Initially I was pretty meh on it, but I think it got better as the pilot went on. Got a couple of laughs out of me. Could be alright. Not sure.

TripOpt55

Hmmm... I thought this might need a bump. I just watched last night's episode and am feeling about where I was with the pilot (which it feels like I watched forever ago). It got a few laughs from me, but I'm still not sure if the show is for me.

golem

Yeah my finger was hovering over the delete sub button on my DVR but the last two scenes with the new nurse and the subway were pretty hilarious. Will keep watching for a few more episodes at least.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is honestly the best sitcom on tv right now. It beats out Modern Family and Happy Endings for me.

This is/was a false statement and you should be ashamed.

The show got better, but still has some huge issues. Tonight's premiere is exactly the same.

Zoe

So are we gonna make this the season 2 thread since nobody used it last season?

They actually solved the Haiti problem pretty well IMO. Can't wait for more!

Happy to see the first Indian actor in Hollywood not playing an "Indian character" (nerd, doctor, 7-11 guy, scientist, basically a beta male)

Goldrush

I know this is going to sound wierd, but I always feel a bit uncomfortable watching this show. In the handful of episodes I watch, it seems like Mindy is using the show to live out her personal dream life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom