• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season One |OT| Zooey Deschanel is f***ing cute, got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
New-Girl-S1-Poster-2.jpg

(I see this poster no less than 6 times on my way to work. Now you have to, too!)

INFORMATION

NEW GIRL
Premiere Date: NOW! (on iTunes, Hulu - September 13th, live - Tuesday, September 20th at 9pm)
Genre: Sitcom

Officially details:

NEW GIRL (working title) is a new single-camera comedy from Liz Meriwether ("No Strings Attached") that features a young ensemble cast and takes a fresh and outrageous look at modern male/female relationships.

JESS DAY (Zooey Deschanel, "(500) Days of Summer") is an offbeat and adorable girl in her late 20s who, after a bad breakup, moves in with three single guys. Goofy, positive, vulnerable and honest to a fault, Jess has faith in people, even when she shouldn't. Although she's dorky and awkward, she's comfortable in her own skin. More prone to friendships with women, she's not used to hanging with the boys - especially at home.

Of the three male roommates, NICK (Jake Johnson, "No Strings Attached") is the most grounded. He had big plans for life, but somewhere along the way, he stopped caring and became a bartender. Usually the smartest guy in the room, he has an uncanny knack for reading people and uses humor to deflect everyone and everything. SCHMIDT (Max Greenfield, "Ugly Betty") is a hustling young professional who fancies himself a modern-day Casanova. Though his heart is usually in the right place, he's always scheming ways to climb the social ladder and is driven by an immature and almost obsessive urge to be on "the scene." Viewing Jess as a gateway into the elusive female mind, as well as a personal project, Schmidt encourages the guys to bring Jess into the apartment. The third roommate, COACH (Damon Wayans Jr., "The Underground"), is a former high school athlete who currently makes his living as a personal trainer. Set in his ways and with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude to dating, Coach is most comfortable when he's in the gym. Though he'll never admit it, Coach's macho athletic exterior is actually a cover for his shyness around women, and he struggles to translate his personal confidence into conversation, preferring to speak in sports metaphors - or not at all.

Rounding out this group is Jess' childhood best friend, CECE (Hannah Simone, "Beautiful People"), a deadpan, somewhat cynical model who blossomed after outgrowing her promiscuous adolescent years. She has the street smarts Jess lacks and spends a lot of time doling out no-nonsense relationship advice that only a professional model could give. She and Jess balance each other well and accept each other despite their faults, making Cece the perfect complement to Jess.

As their relationships progress, the five friends come to realize they need each other more than they ever thought they would and end up forming a charmingly dysfunctional family.

NEW GIRL (working title) is produced by Chernin Entertainment in association with 20th Century Fox Television. The series is created and written by Liz Meriwether. Meriwether, Jake Kasdan ("The TV Set," "Freaks & Geeks"), Peter Chernin (TERRA NOVA), Katherine Pope (TERRA NOVA), Dave Finkel ("United States of Tara," "30 Rock") and Brett Baer ("United States of Tara," "30 Rock") are executive producers. Kasdan directed the pilot.

Note: Damon Wayans Jr. has been replaced because of his commitment to Happy Endings. His character leaves in the second episode and is replaced by Lamorne Morris.

My thoughts: Really fun pilot, even if Zooey overplays the I'M FUCKING CUTE angle. You can all watch it now on iTunes, which is why I made the thread. Remember, it's a Fox live-action comedy, so await the initial numbers before you get yourself unfortunately hooked on it. Though since Fox put posters everywhere (literally, everywhere I go on the west side is covered in posters for New Girl), it's put more marketing muscle into New Girl than the usual Fox sitcom.

New Girl is my favorite new network sitcom along with Suburgatory, Apartment 23, and Up All Night.

I feel compelled to watch this. I know it will probably end up backfiring- either it'll be a piece of shite, or it'll be awesome and FOX will cancel it- but I can't help myself.

Sober

Wait, didn't someone post a trailer for this show earlier this summer? It was like the ultimate white knight show with the queen herself (at least from what the trailer was trying to show). Still, I will watch this.

That poster is probably the only unflattering picture of her I've seen, and I'm not even a huge fan of her...I KNOW they could have gotten a better picture

Meier

Chamber said:
Watched the pilot on On Demand. Sad to say, I enjoyed it. :(
Did the same.. thought it was okay. Not great, but watchable. She is very cute but I'm not sure we'll stick with it unless the reviews of the other episodes are glowing. So glad Fox is finally On Demand!

JCX

Green Scar said:
Never understood this comparison. There's two huge differences between the two girls.

One does indie music and one does pop music?

edit: Oh, I see. Breasts.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
ninj4junpei said:
That poster makes me cringe hard, will not watch.
It really is a horrible image/poster.

I wonder what they will do after the pilot with the Wayan being on his other picked up show.

we've had like 4 months of commercials for this, and they've literally used the same 3 "jokes" over and over. If there was actual comedy in this, I have to assume we'd have seen more than the jeggings joke 100000 times. Canceled quickly.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I think I'm over Zooey. The whole acting cute thing is contrived and hipster chicks in general don't do it for me anymore. She's not even that cute now that I'm actually articulating my feelings and writing this opinion out. Neither is her sister, or Katy Perry. Just a bunch of average looking chicks with makeup on.

Hate, hate, hate, hate. Or replace with troll if you prefer that word. I'm being serious though.

ivysaur12

Banned
xxracerxx said:
It really is a horrible image/poster.

I wonder what they will do after the pilot with the Wayan being on his other picked up show.

They're keeping him in pilot since he tested so well. He'll be revealed to have subleted his apartment and will move out in the second episode.

StuBurns

Banned
Don's wife is a goddess.

Is this show on UK iTunes for free too?

EDIT: Not right now, shame. There is a Mad Men episode called The New Girl though.

:lol Thread just got fucking amazing.

I really hope this show has the blokes act at least somewhat realistically towards Zooey. Calling her out on her weird shit and such, not just going 'awwwww OH WOW NOW I AM IN LOVE WITH YOU'.

StuBurns! No it isn't. D:

StuBurns

Banned
Green Scar said:
StuBurns! No it isn't. D:
Yeah, some bullshit, and I bet it won't turn up on any of those naughty sites either since all the Americans can just get it for free on iTunes.

First show to come out that I've been rooting against big time. Normally I'd be indifferent to a show I think sucks but this...this must fail.

"Simply Adorkable" tagline in a series starring Zooey Deschanel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RustyNails said:
Goddamn 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Ok, do one for Megan Fox

Kevin Bacon -> Brian Doyle Murphy (JFK) -> Megan Fox (Passion Play)

Also apparently:
Kevin Bacon -> Terry Kinney (Sleepers) -> Zooey Deschanel (House Hunting)
:O

Discotheque said:
First show to come out that I've been rooting against big time. Normally I'd be indifferent to a show I think sucks but this...this must fail.

"Simply Adorkable" tagline in a series starring Zooey Deschanel.

I feel, it's more like they don't want us to watch so fucking hard that I must watch it in spite of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom