• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season One |OT| Zooey Deschanel is f***ing cute, got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that is distracted by zoeys awful, messy eye make up? Often you can see here eyeliner powder smeared under her eyelid, probably due to the amount she uses. I find it completely distracting at times, the same with her upper lip hair :/ there's always a darker patch near her nose and I can't look away....you'd think being the main character, her make up artist would deal with these issues.

That being said, I actually liked her story these last two episodes. I usually only watch for Schmidt, but her romance with "mr fancy pants" is very charming. I'm worried he won't last too long though, so I'm trying not to get too attached :(.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ibaneUpc3t8lN7.png

holy shit, didn't realize it until i re-watched the movie "Get Him to the Greek"

Not only is there a new episode of New Girl on this Tuesday, but Hannah Simone (and Harold and Kumar) will be guests on Craig Ferguson on Tuesday night. If you are fans of Craigy Ferg, you know that anytime he has a beautiful woman on as a guest it is always hilarious. If you have never experienced the awesomeness of GP and the Fergs, tune in to CBS at 12:35am right after Letterman. The best late night host on the air right now.

Good episode, not the best, but solid. Cece's eyes looked normal tonight (and last week as well). Maybe it was just a weird shadow during that breakfast scene a few episodes back.

Good ep. Not as good as last week, but still funny.

I can't even drive past a Ford Flex without thinking "manbulance."

Edit: This needs a 2 hour finale.

big ander

Near the top of the season. Hilarious episode all around.

And for anyone who cares: David Wain, awesome comedy guy behind Wet Hot American Summer, Wanderlust, Role Models, and Childrens Hospital, both directed and cameoed in the episode. He was the peeing running guy.

Near the top of the season. Hilarious episode all around.

And for anyone who cares: David Wain, awesome comedy guy behind Wet Hot American Summer, Wanderlust, Role Models, and Childrens Hospital, both directed and cameoed in the episode. He was the peeing running guy.

Shit. Beat me to pointing that out. I was so excited to see him as director. This season has had a great run of good comedy directors. David Wain, Peyton Reed, Jake Kasdan. Great slate of directors.

And this episode was killer. Not the greatest, but still damn funny.

And as a friendly reminder, Hannah Simone is going to be on Craig Ferguson tonight. As with all Ferguson interviews with beautiful women, it should be fun.

CBS cares.

ivysaur12

Banned
Winston is such a terrible character.

So terrible.

Otherwise, very good episode. Just watched last week's episode, too. Cece and Winston are uncomfortably bland, but everyone else is evolving nicely. Even Nick. I loved the way Nick and Jess handled the "fancyman" situation.

mj1108

And here's a negative EW review, a fairly positive boston.com review, a mediocre npr review...look, we could do this all day, count up reviews, make histograms, so on. All I am saying is that it was not amazingly reviewed. People did not herald it as a groundbreaking brilliant sitcom. I'm honestly not sure why this is even worth arguing.

To be fair, it was the pilot. There are a lot of people who didn't think the pilot was all that great. It was in later episodes that the show seemed to click and got MUCH better. I'm sure if they reviewed the show based on later episodes they would have a different tone.

ivysaur12

Banned
To be fair, it was the pilot. There are a lot of people who didn't think the pilot was all that great. It was in later episodes that the show seemed to click and got MUCH better. I'm sure if they reviewed the show based on later episodes they would have a different tone.

Fine, but very few websites operate that way. They may review the next season, but that's also selectively done because websites that liked the first season are more likely to review than those that didn't like the first season. For instance, how many reviews for the second seasons of Harry's Law or Body of Proof are there compared to Game of Thrones?

Every TV show is reviewed this way, it's just what's most convient for reviewers for large publications.

EDIT: And even though I've grieved my issues with the show, it took a while to get where it has been now. I like the show a lot, but it's taken a while.

big ander

Winston is such a terrible character.
I'm still warming up to him. He's definitely my least favorite, but they're trying hard to make him better and he has the occasional good line. Like his muttered "not even a real chalkboard."
Uh, exactly, it was the pilot. My argument (that's not the right word, it was more of a factual statement tbh) was that the show was not received well right at the beginning aka the pilot. That discontent continued for a handful of episodes. Opinion is positive now and I like the show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Uh, exactly, it was the pilot. My argument (that's not the right word, it was more of a factual statement tbh) was that the show was not received well right at the beginning aka the pilot. That discontent continued for a handful of episodes. Opinion is positive now and I like the show.

Exactly. The pilot had a MetaCritic score of 66. Good, but not resounding like the critical praise for some other pilots. Definitely more on the mixed side of things.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, this show started off pretty weak... but it's been steadily getting better and better...

At this point, it's pretty much the funniest show on TV bar none. Bar none!

And I'm saying that, even though I'm pretty much watching every sitcom running right now.

Bladenic

I haven't seen this week's new episode yet. I checked Wikipedia though and makes me sad to see this show's ratings. Fancyman (Part 2) got under 5 million viewers. Are we sure this show will get a second season?

I haven't seen this week's new episode yet. I checked Wikipedia though and makes me sad to see this show's ratings. Fancyman (Part 2) got under 5 million viewers. Are we sure this show will get a second season?

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/how-new-girl-on-fox-lost-its-ratings-mojo/

And the ratings are in:

Deadline said:
The good news for Fox came in the 8-8:30 PM half-hour where Raising Hope (1.6/5) was up 7%, posting its first ratings gain in its temporary new slot after three weeks of declines. But New Girl (2.3/6) was down 12% to a series low, and Breaking In (1.3/3) was down 7% to tie its season low.

Honestly, I have not been paying attention to the ratings since the hiatus. I was so excited that the show was doing well, but now that I see how it has declined since the hiatus it makes me worried. BAH! Will networks ever learn not to do stuff like that? Rarely do shows pull more viewers after long breaks.

Fatalah

Two ex Party Down cast members made appearances this season. Who could be next?!

Trying to convince my good friend to watch. He wrote off the show from the previews, watched the first 3 episodes, and stuck with his original negative assessment. But I think he's being stubborn to avoid being "I told you so'd" from me. Last summer I bet him the show would be very popular and easily renewed for 2nd season. I want my 10 bucks!

Ezio

Schmidt is funny as hell, I don't care who ya are.

Tuesday's episode was pretty funny. One of my favorite lines from this season probably has to be " I think I know about hunting now" I still laugh when I think of that scene.

idwl

I've watched all episodes so far, its mildly entertaining. But I know that if it wasn't for zoey deschanel I wouldn't have watched more than half an episode

Magnus

Hoooooly shit a this Winston speech. Nick's reactions are slaying me. Fucking amazing.

I don't even know what people want from their sitcoms if they don't find this show funny and well-written.

I've gone back and watched a number of the early fall episodes and they were all still quite great. Some bordered more on heart-warming than the ultra-hilarity of recent episodes, but man, I can't even recall a poor episode at all. This was a stellar first season. Happy Endings had bigger quality dips as far as I'm concerned.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/how-new-girl-on-fox-lost-its-ratings-mojo/

And the ratings are in:

Honestly, I have not been paying attention to the ratings since the hiatus. I was so excited that the show was doing well, but now that I see how it has declined since the hiatus it makes me worried. BAH! Will networks ever learn not to do stuff like that? Rarely do shows pull more viewers after long breaks.

http://tvline.com/2012/04/09/fox-renews-glee-season-4-new-girl-season-2/

Yay! Renewed.

masud

Banned
Omg Winston's new boss is hilarious! I was dying at "European/women's three point line" and "Beyonce colored shakes "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom