• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya devs reveal sales figures

statham

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-22-ouya-devs-reveal-sales-figures

TowerFall
"We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC."

Organ Trail developer Ryan Wiemeyer told Gamasutra that the game made 501 sales off 13,112 downloads, saying he didn't know if it was worth the man hours required to port it to Ouya.

Hidden in Plain Sight has sold 1,900 copies with an average price of a little over $2.
Shay Pierce ported Bennett Foddy's Get on Top, and has sold 520 copies for $2 each on 9,700 downloads. After Ouya took its 30 percent cut, Pierce said the game has earned a grand total of $728.
NimbleBit's David Marsh told Edge that Nimble Quest made $427 in profit off 122 purchases and 6,508 downloads.
Not all of the developers revealed exact figures. Bombball creator E McNeil said he was pulling in $30 a day before Ouya took its cut

Nugg

Is this how we make threads now? Just paste a like, no comment, no quote, nothing? I can read other sites just well, thank you very much

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
""We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC.""

Not terrible.

Interfectum

""We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC.""

Not terrible.

Considering that was the most hyped game for Ouya, 2,000 is pretty bad and completely unsustainable for a dev studio bigger than one person.

Nimble Quest, a cool action-RPG take on Snake, is selling well (thought I read it sold the most on Ouya somewhere) and was a "snap to port."

So it seems those rising to the top are selling well enough so far.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm guessing the devs are going by typical iOS sales figures... multiplying 2,000 by $15 is like 30,000 iOS sales... kinda. Which wouldn't be awful for a fledgling developer.

Carl

Nimble Quest, a cool action-RPG take on Snake, is selling well (thought I read it sold the most on Ouya somewhere) and was a "snap to port."

Christ, it must have sold like shit everywhere else.

fenners

Nimble Quest, a cool action-RPG take on Snake, sold the most on Ouya vs other platforms, I believe.

lol.

A jokey tweet about how they've sold more on Ouya than vs Steam is being trumped as "vs other platforms". The joke is NimbleQuest isn't on Steam.

Pillville

Is this how we make threads now? Just paste a like, no comment, no quote, nothing? I can read other sites just well, thank you very much

"just paste a like"
a hasty typo in a comment about hasty threads.

Is this how you make comments now?

Metal-Geo

"We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC."
This is a very diplomatic way of saying "This platform fucking sucks, we're trying it elsewhere."

James Coote

Neo Member
Matt Thorson - Towerfall - 2000 sales @ $15
NimbleBit - NimbleQuest - 6,508 downloads 122 sales $427 profit
Eric Froemling - BombSquad - Peak sales 200 per day, average sales per day 70 @ $5
Ryan Wiemeyer - Organ Trail - 13,112 downloads 501 purchases
E McNeill - Bombball - $30 / day
Adam Spragg - Hidden in Plain Sight - 1,900 sales $4,381 profit, average sales per day ~40
Shay Pierce (port of Bennett Foddy's game) - Get on Top 9,700 downloads 520 sales $728 profit

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/196691/the_ouya_experience_what_game_.php

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/are-indies-making-any-money-from-ouya/

Should be noted that OUYA analytics counts updates as downloads and doesn't discount multiple downloads from the same user, hence why Organ Trail downloads are so comparatively high

James Coote

Neo Member
Thing is, if you spent a week porting the game from android, then with these sales figures, you've broken even in under a month of sales.

If like the bombball guy, you spent 6 months making the game, then you're not likely to break even till OUYA starts shifting a lot more units

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
As an Ouya owner, I have to confess I haven't bought anything so far.

I wonder if the "all games are free to play (or try)" approach was counterproductive.

Matt Thorson - Towerfall - 2000 sales @ $15
NimbleBit - NimbleQuest - 6,508 downloads 122 sales $427 profit
Eric Froemling - BombSquad - Peak sales 200 per day, average sales per day 70 @ $5
Ryan Wiemeyer - Organ Trail - 13,112 downloads 501 purchases
E McNeill - Bombball - $30 / day
Adam Spragg - Hidden in Plain Sight - 1,900 sales $4,381 profit, average sales per day ~40
Shay Pierce (port of Bennett Foddy's game) - Get on Top 9,700 downloads 520 sales $728 profit

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/196691/the_ouya_experience_what_game_.php

Source: http://www.edge-online.com/news/are-indies-making-any-money-from-ouya/

Should be noted that OUYA analytics counts updates as downloads and doesn't discount multiple downloads from the same user, hence why Organ Trail downloads are so comparatively high

Profit? Aren't you talking about revenue?

I love the idea of the Ouya, but have been really disappointed with the execution. Apple or Google really need to get app store based gaming platforms onto the Apple TV/Nexus Q (it has to come back damnit).

I still believe that there is a market for a low cost media streaming box that also plays low cost games. The Ouya just isn't that box.

James Coote

Neo Member
I wonder if the "all games are free to play (or try)" approach was counterproductive.

Possibly. They already backed down from free-to-play to free-to-try. I know for shadowgun, which I'd never played on mobile, I got one measly free level before being asked to pay with no indication this wasn't going to be just another generic shooter.

Lots of people have mentioned there is enough free stuff to keep them happy without ever buying. I've only bought 1 game so far. Whether that's because devs are being too generous or because the content isn't compelling enough? It's probably 50-50

Profit? Aren't you talking about revenue?

Sorry, that was the way it was worded in the article, but yes, probably means net revenue (i.e. after OUYA take their 30% cut)

Shahid (sony) reading the low numbers on ouya and developers desperate for money made on their games.
tumblr_lthguj4IHl1ql141xo1_500.gif

edit: heh

iB1TtlS.png

Mrbob

Good luck with the attempted kickstarter initiative Ouya. With these numbers no one will even attempt supporting it in their kick starter.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
So much wasted kickstarter money for a shitty underpowered console. Think about how many amazing games could be made with that money sigh ...

Top Bottom