• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya devs reveal sales figures

James Coote

Neo Member
If the conversion rate was better the sales wouldn't be that bad.

The conversion rates are slightly misleading. The download numbers provided by OUYA include updates and downloads by the same user multiple times. That massively inflates the download numbers in many cases, without really reflecting how many people are actually downloading the game.

Something like Knightmare Tower, with it's 49k downloads as quoted in IGN, suggests ~50% of all OUYA owners have downloaded it. While it's been on the store for a few months and been quite popular at that, I highly doubt it's as high as 1/2 OUYA owners trying it out

Nibiru

Banned
This is why I never buy into hype.

Well tbh all the hype online was that it would be a great device for emulation, as a media player and in general a cheap console to screw around on.

Console exclusives and "new games" for the device were never really discussed as being something people who bought the console even cared about. These poor software sales are not surprising to anyone.

So low numbers as well. That said, looking at the PAL PSM store on Vita, theses are the number of ratings some of the games have:

Castle Invasion which sold 1,050 in 1.5 month has 43 ratings in 5.5 months.

Number of ratings for some other games:
OMG-Zombies: 982
Beats Trellis: 603
Beats Slider: 711

So, some games do sell well. Overall, they should just create higher quality PS Minis which, by my count, sell 10,000+ on average.

wildfire

Banned
So the most successful game has reached total revenue of $30k? That's dreadful.

In one month for 4 man team? It's ok. It's certainly livable and this game from my impressions of what they showed at Evo is that it will become fairly popular pretty quickly. It has staying power.

The others are dreadful.

So much wasted kickstarter money for a shitty underpowered console. Think about how many amazing games could be made with that money sigh ...

By amazing games you probably mean the ones that sell for $60. In that case your answer would be one, if you are lucky.

The attach rate seems to be poor for the console. Isn't the average attach rate for a launch like 1.5-2? Since Towerfall is their best selling game that doesn't speak well for the future of this console.

Not surprised at the numbers. It's not really an appealing console. I'd grab one in the future maybe just for dev purposes but I'm not sure when I'll give a fuck.

Played with one for the development side, after wanting one and defending it for quite some time here.

It's pretty good for developing, since it's a single, constant system. The "console" side of it is rather dull. If you want one to use as a test device, it's a great tool. If you want it to play games, it's an eh console.

SparkTR

Retro City Rampage sold better on Vita though. And honestly, some indies charge much more on PSN than on Steam.

From what I read RCR sold better on Steam, but they got more revenue from the PSN version (which included both Vita and PS3 sales), and of that PSN version the Vita dominated. Also RCR on Steam was overshadowed by Hotline Miami, both of which released around the same time. Hotline Miami went on to sell more copies on Steam than RCR sold on every platform combined.

From what I read RCR sold better on Steam, but they got more revenue from the PSN version (which included both Vita and PS3 sales), and of that PSN version the Vita dominated. Also RCR on Steam was overshadowed by Hotline Miami, both of which released around the same time. Hotline Miami went on to sell more copies on Steam than RCR sold on every platform combined.

And that is fair enough - RCR isn't as well-received critically as Hotline Miami. I think that, in time, with PS+, PS4, PS3 and Vita, indies will gradually sell more and more on PSN. Whether they can match Steam numbers is to be seen.

From what I read RCR sold better on Steam, but they got more revenue from the PSN version (which included both Vita and PS3 sales), and of that PSN version the Vita dominated.
No, it sold more on PC total, but as I recall that included several non-Steam outlets. PSN Vita was best selling release on any one outlet.

Portugeezer

Valve doesn't release numbers because it encourages the 'me too' mentality that permeates the AAA space. Developers are free to talk about their sales numbers if they want to though, for the performance of unknown indie games on Steam you can see these sales for Dustforce:

For indie developers Steam still seems to be the most healthy.

Pretty impressive for a 4 person development team, in 4 months they all made $100k each.

Played with one for the development side, after wanting one and defending it for quite some time here.

It's pretty good for developing, since it's a single, constant system. The "console" side of it is rather dull. If you want one to use as a test device, it's a great tool. If you want it to play games, it's an eh console.

I figured as much lol.

Top Bottom