• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya devs reveal sales figures

Interfectum

I keep hearing this, but it's not the worst controller in the world. My only real gripe is the shitty dpad, but everyone seems to have forgotten how to make those now. It's still awful on the 360, even with their over engineered twisting dpad garbage.

I wouldn't know. The d-pad broke after 30 minutes of use, an analog stick no longer works and the face buttons only work half the time when pressed. Amazing craftsmanship.

Kater

Banned
the worst part about ouya was the shitty as fuck controller. what a waste.

It looks hideous but the new Xbox Controller doesn't look any better. Or are you talking about the technical quality of the thing?

On topic: The Ouya is a mess but I hope everyone involved gets away with a blue eye. And those sales number for one of their first exclusive games are horrible. :S

Game Guru

Really, I do not think the Ouya is really worth it when MadCatz's MOJO microconsole is waiting in the wings. It has stock Android with Madcatz only doing the work to make the hardware and work out a method for mimicking the touch based functions of Android with a control stick. There is also Wikipad, which is a stock Android tablet with a controller add-on that could be used for it at the price of the Nexus 7. A microconsole or gaming tablet having own store is not going to be worth it when one could have the Google Play Store and the Amazon Appstore working on it.

balohna

""We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC.""

Not terrible.

For a single person, this is a liveable annual salary by itself. Not too bad, considering he likely has other revenue streams.

And now the game has some buzz and will likely sell much better on other platforms.

So, you believe is worth it to develop for Ouya?

Didn't say that. However, if you are building in Unity or have a good codebase that ports easily across multiple platforms it doesn't hurt to give the Ouya a version as long as you can do it within your budget and knowing what your sales are likely to be.

On Ouya you are guaranteed to land on the marketplace, by extension you are guaranteed a place on an Android marketplace as long as your game makes sense for touch. Then it is just the ability of the game to sell whatever copies it can. On PC, for example, you are not guaranteed a place on the bigger portals like Steam, or GoG.

Fox Mulder

Really, I do not think the Ouya is really worth it when MadCatz's MOJO microconsole is waiting in the wings. It has stock Android with Madcatz only doing the work to make the hardware and work out a method for mimicking the touch based functions of Android with a control stick. There is also Wikipad, which is a stock Android tablet with a controller add-on that could be used for it at the price of the Nexus 7. A microconsole or gaming tablet having own store is not going to be worth it when one could have the Google Play Store and the Amazon Appstore working on it.

Using the Play or amazon market is great and all, but they're full of games already built for touchscreens. It'll still require devs to add support for controllers or port versions of their games for the hardware you listed.

All these devices are a tiny niche products that will fail until Google steps up and gets serious about Android gaming.

No, we've all heard how bad it is now.
I was onboard till I found out that they have their own store, you haven't got access to the Google store, incredibly limiting. So they can get 30 fucking percent of all sales it seems, fucking shameless.

Not sure how that is "shameless." How else would they generate revenue?

James Coote

Neo Member
Even if you give your game away the exposure, sudden fanbase, addition to your portfolio, and bragging rights about amount of players can be worth it.
Just ask the Thomas Was Alone guy. I'd never have bought it, but so glad I played it that I'll be looking out for his next game.

In this case, I wouldn't attach such a huge part of that success to the platform choice. Mike Bithell (the guy who made Thomas was alone), spent months after he finished his game just doing full time PR, marketing and promoting it. In fact, I believe he even hired a guy just to do PR. He's on twitter all day every day. He's a fantastic self-promoter and great business/marketing guy, as much as he is an indie game developer

Geedorah

Wowsa, all these terrible sales figures - and this is before Ouya has published the instructions on how to root the device (which was promised, btw!).

Feel bad for the devs - but really how much extra is it to get on Ouya from Android? For a title like Organ Trail, seems like it would be really easy to just include gamepad support - it's still running on what is essentially an Android phone.

Even if you give your game away the exposure, sudden fanbase, addition to your portfolio, and bragging rights about amount of players can be worth it.
Just ask the Thomas Was Alone guy. I'd never have bought it, but so glad I played it that I'll be looking out for his next game.
Can't say that about a single one of the Ouya flops.

How about Samsung and HP stuck their own store on every android tablet stopping you getting all android games?
Actually, I know that's what Amazon did, but least they have choice and userbase.

The thing is that games need to be configured for Ouya.

bigf00t

It's too bad that Towerfall didn't sell better, as it's already one of my favourite games of the year!

I got my Ouya a couple weeks ago, and after screwing around with it for a couple days, I decided to put it up for sale on Cragslist. While it was up there, I had a couple friends over, and we tried the demo for Towerfall with 4 players. I immediately took my ad down.

While I was initially hesitant about the $15 pricetag, after a couple games of the demo, I was throwing my money at it. We spent the rest of the night playing matches of Headhunter or 2v2 TDM. We even came up with a custom 3v1 mode where the one player starts with a shield and uber arrows, and the other 3 have to work together to take him down.

It was the best multiplayer experience I've had in years, and it's a shame that it's not widely available. I will definitely be double-dipping on an platform this comes out on.

Game Guru

Using the Play or amazon market is great and all, but they're full of games already built for touchscreens. It'll still require devs to add support for controllers or port versions of their games for the hardware you listed.

All these devices are a tiny niche products that will fail until Google steps up and gets serious about Android gaming.

Yeah, and games that actually play better with controllers will likely support controllers. It's like saying that games that play better with mouse and keyboard on PC should support controllers. Neither Google nor Apple are going to step up to provide serious support for gaming because they make more profit off of focusing on more general purpose devices which happen to play games than a device focused on gaming. Even then, most of the iOS and Android devices out come with the touchscreen which is going to be the main focus like keyboard and mouse is the main focus of PC Games.

Shahid (sony) reading the low numbers on ouya and developers desperate for money made on their games.

edit: heh

iB1TtlS.png

What I thought of:
iGl9FbNZiYXR9.gif

James Coote

Neo Member
Looks like IGN is jumping on the bandwagon with some numbers of its own:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/22/ouya-developers-reveal-modest-sales

Ravensword: Shadowlands has been generating $100-$200 per day since the game's launch in late June, meaning the port has grossed $3,000 - $6,000 to date

Radiangames told IGN that its two Ouya ports have generated 111 sales from 3,243 downloads in six days

Wind-Up Knight developer Robot Invader told IGN that the Ouya port of its auto-runner has been downloaded 15,000 times, with 1% opting to purchase the full title, generating $726.88 after Ouya's cut

Knightmare Tower developer Juicy Beast revealed to IGN that the title has been downloaded 49,000 times generating 2,100 purchases. This means the $3.99 game has earned the developer $6,000 after Ouya's cut

jlevel13

This is what happens when you have working emulators on your store, giving people the ability to play an endless amount of GREAT classic games pretty easily and for free (which is probably the main reason most people have picked up an OUYA). And lets face it, after trying a demo of most of the games on the store, why would you buy them? Most of the games for sale on OUYA right now are pretty crap. The few good ones, like Towerfall, will keep selling, especially if they lower the $15 price.

Gotta keep in mind Tower Fall is a local multiplayer game that costs $15. That's a high price and specific game experience with local friends.

I think Ouya kinda ruined their shot though. Stigma and whatnot.

kurbaan

Banned
I think all this shows is just like on smartphones these devs need to make more FTP games with microtransactions or ads for revenue.

BeerSquad

Neo Member
One can't compare OUYA business model to that of Sony's, Microsoft's, or Nintendo's. People doing that are clueless.

OUYA is not underpowered. It's capabilities fits its business model.

It's more like one have to look to mobile gaming business models, in order to evaluate OUYA's health.

a) Some devs are not expecting to profit. They just using OUYA to polish their dev (and publishing) skills in the field; Hence, the PS360 dev is not the OUYA dev.
b) Most games won't come close to make a profit;
c) Some games will become super hyped, usually using social networks, sell a ton of copies, 5 bucks each, than vanish and get completely forgotten; Talk candy crush.
d) Since every game is free to play, download to purchase ratio is relevant and that is usually ultra low.
d) When and if installed base becomes huge, ad funded games will be feasible.

I root for OUYA and I think it would be nice should they ditch the box and just ship the hardware embedded it with every TV, BD Player and others gadgets out there. I even think this is their goal.

One can't compare OUYA business model to that of Sony's, Microsoft's, or Nintendo's. People doing that are clueless.

OUYA is not underpowered. It's capabilities fits its business model.

It's more like one have to look to mobile gaming business models, in order to evaluate OUYA's health.

a) Some devs are not expecting to profit. They just using OUYA to polish their dev (and publishing) skills in the field; Hence, the PS360 dev is not the OUYA dev.
b) Most games won't come close to make a profit;
c) Some games will become super hyped, usually using social networks, sell a ton of copies, 5 bucks each, than vanish and get completely forgotten; Talk candy crush.
d) Since every game is free to play, download to purchase ratio is relevant and that is usually ultra low.
d) When and if installed base becomes huge, ad funded games will be feasible.

I root for OUYA and I think it would be nice should they ditch the box and just ship the hardware embedded it with every TV, BD Player and others gadgets out there. I even think this is their goal.

All I got out of this was that the OUYA business model is centered around games bombing. I mean, I know that's the reality of it, but I doubt this was their plan going in.

Besides, their goals of embedding in other hardware or having ad funded games don't mean anything when all their hopes get crushed out of the gate.

BeerSquad

Neo Member
All I got out of this was that the OUYA business model is centered around games bombing. I mean, I know that's the reality of it, but I doubt this was their plan going in.

Besides, their goals of embedding in other hardware or having ad funded games don't mean anything when all their hopes get crushed out of the gate.

There's no way to deny that its difficult to enter this market.

And, about the game bombing bit, a lot o devs work with the "Home Run" model.

You ship and advertise a bunch of games, one at a time, and you know all but one will get no traction at all. However, your model says that that one that got traction will pay and exceed the cost of that batch of games.

Rinse, repeat.

Devs in here seem cool headed and talk like it's an ongoing and learning process. There's no one pulling any hair off.
Yet.

Not saying these figures are good or anything, but I think comparing them to other platforms right now is a pretty specious argument. We're comparing companies who have been in the industry for decades and have millions (or billions) of dollars to throw around on marketing, vs. a company that basically didn't exist a couple years ago. Anyone thinking the Ouya would outsell even the Vita was setting an unreasonably high bar. It's going to be a slow burn sales-wise, the question is whether sales keep steady or just taper off.

That being said, these figures are still pretty disappointing. Some of these games (like Towerfall) have probably gained a good amount of exposure through being on Vita, even if that hasn't translated to sales yet. But there's no doubt that the hardware/software problems have dampened the enthusiasm for the thing quite a bit.

bootski

those are pretty horriful numbers. however, i notice that none of those games are match3 type games. someone needs to put one of those up and see how it sells.

Not surprised at the numbers. It's not really an appealing console. I'd grab one in the future maybe just for dev purposes but I'm not sure when I'll give a fuck.

SparkTR

Probably why Steam doesn't reveal its figures, I have a feeling sales outside of the top 10 are also underwhelming... but yes, it seems horribly low, Ouya install base is tiny though.

Valve doesn't release numbers because it encourages the 'me too' mentality that permeates the AAA space. Developers are free to talk about their sales numbers if they want to though, for the performance of unknown indie games on Steam you can see these sales for Dustforce:

For indie developers Steam still seems to be the most healthy.

Top Bottom